Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the sims 2 better than sims 3? what's your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    cutiejecutieje Posts: 72 Member
    Well this is a hard question..

I like The Sims 2 and 3. But The Sims 2 had a more realistic gameplay. Such as how they change the babys diapers on the changing table and how they get in the cars, get arrested, etc.. The babies were fun to play with. Although, in The Sims 3 you have an open world and more CAS options such as the color wheel and design tool. You can change the pants, shoes, etc. You can set different make up styles for different outfits. But I would say, for gameplay, The Sims 2 is the best. As for The Sims 3, I would use it for making movies. Since there's too much lag. :blush:
    forever wishing i could use motherlode irl.
  • Options
    cutiejecutieje Posts: 72 Member
    babies* xD ^
    forever wishing i could use motherlode irl.
  • Options
    JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    I prefer the sims 2, the gameplay, the animation, memories, more realistic genetic system and the fact that with university ep you could have up to 32,000 sims which is great for legacy players like myself. I think sims 3 would only get to 150 sims before sims would be culled. I liked the open world of sims 3 and some the worlds were very done but wasn't keen on how the sims themselves looked, personally I preferred the way sims 2 sims looked. Sims 3 holidays location were fun to play though. It really depends on what you are looking for in a game.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    cutieje wrote: »
    babies* xD ^

Actually, if you're looking for the correct spelling, it depends upon if you're looking for single possessive, or plural possessive. I believe in the sentence structure you're going for, you want the single possessive, "baby's" with the apostrophe, as oppose to the plural possessive, "babies'" with the apostrophe after the "s." Either way, you still need the apostrophe.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    I prefer TS2 hands down, but... (and a BIG but) this is entirely subjective. For the record, I think that TS2 and TS3 both are strong iterations for the Sims franchise, so in regards to which is better it's a chocolate vs vanilla or apples vs oranges comparison. It'll just depend on what you prefer for your game play. TS3 has far richer content and world exploration, story progression, and far better CAS customisation, also if you like fantasy and supernatural play, TS3 is probably the best iteration for you. TS2 has more depth in sim personalities, better animations, OFB (viz., no rabbit holes), better real-life simulation play, and most importantly (in my opinion and one I feel strongly about) better looking sims, so if you like realism in your game TS2 might be the preferred choice.

NOTE: both games can offer all the features I mentioned with one major exception: TS2 does not have open world/world time or story-progression. To me this is a plus (I'm a rotational player), but that could be a deal breaker if you prefer open world.
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    cutieje wrote: »
    babies* xD ^

Actually, if you're looking for the correct spelling, it depends upon if you're looking for single possessive, or plural possessive. I believe in the sentence structure you're going for, you want the single possessive, "baby's" with the apostrophe, as oppose to the plural possessive, "babies'" with the apostrophe after the "s." Either way, you still need the apostrophe.

Actually, unless this is some kind of back and forth between you and the other poster, this is completely uncalled for. Unless you simply cannot understand what the person is attempting to say, this kind of post is pure flamebait and not the least bit appreciated. Given the wide range of ages, education levels, nationalities, etc. on these boards, I think a little bit of leeway is maybe called for, don't you think?
  • Options
    SimangoSimango Posts: 427 Member
    edited March 2017
    The Sims 2 is a lot more reliable for me, in that in all the time I've spent playing it I haven't gotten any major errors I wasn't able to deal with. (I don't care about the odd animation issue)

The Sims 3 gave me a lot of grief with save errors. In my opinion when your saves start messing up. that's unforgivable. That's like the number one no-no of bugs/game errors. It doesn't seem like something that can be gotten around either (at least not from what I've seen, so whenever I go back to the Sims 3 that's always hanging over me)

I do prefer the open world but I also prefer having a game I can rely on for a reasonably long period of time. Sims 2 wins out for that reason. Also community lots load a lot quicker now in the Sims 2 than when I was first playing it so loading screens aren't as big an issue as they used to be. (When I was first playing the Sims 2 I pretty much never visited community lots because they took forever to load)
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    When I tried Sims 3, I loved the open world but hated the mini-quests. Just irrational hatred. "I'm trying to finish a lifetime want, I don't need no stinking side quests!"

I never used the building or design tools enough to really get the hang of them, I'm afraid. I also didn't like the inability to switch families (I know you technically can, but leaving a main sim house unsupervised? To get into trouble? XD) which kind of stomped on my rotation-based playstyle.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    When I tried Sims 3, I loved the open world but hated the mini-quests. Just irrational hatred. "I'm trying to finish a lifetime want, I don't need no stinking side quests!"

I never used the building or design tools enough to really get the hang of them, I'm afraid. I also didn't like the inability to switch families (I know you technically can, but leaving a main sim house unsupervised? To get into trouble? XD) which kind of stomped on my rotation-based playstyle.

WA and its quest game is the main thing I like about TS3 :joy: but I can totally see how players would get irked with it. I like the TS4 partially opened worlds and building TS2 communities with multiple communities on one lot seems to be the only way to reproduce that. That being said, TS3's open was great because it was so gorgeous and minus the rabbit holes, explorable. And TS2 and TS3 hoods were entirely customisable. TS4's hood is too fake and uniform for it to be considered a real hood--that's where TS2 and TS3 are leaps and bounds ahead of this latest game.
  • Options
    ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    I have to join everyone in saying that it is a very hard question to answer.

I currently play Sims 3 and I love the color wheel tool(I am kinda OCD and having 25 different shades of "light wood" is driving me nuts in Sims 2), the open world, higher customisation for the sims themselves and certain game mechanics, namely how Supernaturals work. Sims 3, however, is just a pretty poorly made game, sadly. I cannot count the times that I had the game crash on me or do something completely weird. Obviously, there are ways to minimise that but I simply don't feel like it's fair that the players have to do a lot of work to make a game playable after having paid a lot of money for it... There are still things in Sims 3 I refuse to use/do because I cannot deal with the frustration(looking at you here, Isla Paradiso).

Sims 2 is the game that I played the most I think, so obviously I do feel more nostalgic towards it haha :) I honestly loved going to uni, having kids, starting my own business(well, multiple really, in most of my games my family will basically take over the whole town at the end because there are so many of them) and just generally living the sim life. But I do feel sad that Sims 2 doesn't have any story progression, so if my original couple have kids who grow up and then move out and I decide to play those kids instead the original couple wouldn't age and could potentially stay young forever, even when their grandgrandgrandgrandgrand children are old... And again, I am really bugged by how hard it could be to get somewhat matching furniture due to the lack of the color wheel tool.

I was hopeful that Sims 4 would combine the best of both worlds... Well, the exact opposite has happened by the looks of it -.-"
  • Options
    TheSimsFan96TheSimsFan96 Posts: 102 Member
    Both of them are by far the best games out of the series (in my personal opinion of course). Why? Sims 2 introduced a whole brand new form of gameplay that wasn't seen in the original Sims. The Sims you could do almost whatever the player wanted, the Sim would just go along with it. The Sims 2 brought more personality into sims with the wants/fear and aspration system and brought them life goals. I also love the addition of the aging feature and how you can form generations upon generations of sims. In fact there's almost no limit of sims you can have in a neighborhood before it starts glitching out (the limit is so high that it'd probably take you years to reach!) . And when you run out of NPCs or townies, more will be generated with unique facial features (why is this important? I'll explain later). I've played The Sims 2 for almost 10 years and it'll always go down as one of my favorites. Onto The Sims 3, TS3 introduced and added much more onto TS2. You have an open good for goodness sake! I love the customization options and The Sims 3 brought so much more realism when it came to building homes, creating beautiful sims, breathtaking world's, etc. However it has its drawbacks, such as first you need to have a decent computer to play it, The Sims 2 could be played on almost any computer from Windows XP to the present, The Sims 3 requires much more out of your computer to be run on higher settings. When you play in a world for a while and all of your neighboring sims start to die off, more sims will move in if you have story progression on.. But the problem is? They all have the same vanilla faces, The Sims 2 would generate unique faces for a new townie or NPC, however having a town full of vanilla pudding faced sims (blech!). Unfortunately the limit for sims in The Sims 3 is a lot more lower than The Sims 2 since you have the open world (I believe you can have a little over 150 sims (not townies or NPCs, but residents) in a world before you start getting bombarded by slowdown or error code 12. However it's a lot easier to edit sims in TS3 than TS2, you can type in the testingcheats cheat and edit whatever you want on your existing Sim, however it goes lots more in detail in The Sims 2 requiring external programs such as body shop and SimPE, this can be a pain because you have to do this while out of game and you could also risk corruption as well. I'm in no way meaning to cut down the greatness of TS3 and I still go back and play it lots along with TS2! TS2 is incredible for it's gameplay and technical aspect, and for me TS3 is amazing for it's realism and customization options. However for me, my favorite game would be The Sims 2 in my personal opinion. :)
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    When it comes to the world and globally, the Sims 3 is more advanced and undeniably better. But when it comes to the sims, their personality system, their realistic interactions, and how easy it is to get attached to them, nothing has managed to beat the Sims 2 to this day. I deeply regret how the personality system was changed after the Sims 2. And I'm saying this as somebody who discovered the Sims 3 first.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    When it comes to the world and globally, the Sims 3 is more advanced and undeniably better. But when it comes to the sims, their personality system, their realistic interactions, and how easy it is to get attached to them, nothing has managed to beat the Sims 2 to this day. I deeply regret how the personality system was changed after the Sims 2. And I'm saying this as somebody who discovered the Sims 3 first.

Personally, as someone who does assign my TS2 sims some of the TS3 traits for storytelling purposes, though they don't affect the game, I really wish TS3 had gone with the TS2 personality setup the way they did it for pets. (instead of having a number of personality "points," just be able to click on any setting out of the ten.) Then they could have added a smaller number of those moodlet generating traits, like "lucky" and "flirty." Would have made getting a moodlet more fun, rather than a constant race to gain moodlets so that sims could actually gain large wants or work on what the simmer wants to do.

One thing I really still with TS2 came with is horses, though. Their lack of existence in TS2 pets was saddening. (Also, I have a bone to pick with the dog sizes: microdog and wolf being the only dog sizes seems a little silly to me.)

I have yet to find a mod that actually gives anything like a functional horse experience for the sims for TS2, even though I've found farm animals, bees, and really lovely horse "statues."
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Options
    Horses would have been nice. I ended up sucking it up and paying the donation ransom for this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84AYpjlpJY
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited April 2017
    @nanashi-sims

oh, those horses are fab I mean okay it's not the same as being able to ride a horse in an open world like in 3 but it goes a long way to providing decent animal/sim animations.

Are these horses classified like the other EA animals in the game? so they require feeding and being taken care of in a similar way?

Also, when I saw this I wondered if it would be possible to make a type of community lot where sims other than family members could turn up and ride the horses/feed them and ride them around some sort of track?

Could you please let me know where the link is so I can take a look at this mod.

There is another brilliant Sims 2 creator called Rebecah over at Affinity sims that has made rideable horses and related animations but as she states herself the animations can be difficult to achieve so it is not perfect but it does work. I have provided a link if anyone wants to take a look at that as there is also a video you can watch.

horses

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1823-animated-rideable-horses/

She has also made other animated farm animals with videos as follows:

cows

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1832-animated-farm-cattle/

animated sheep

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1833-animated-sheep/

pigs

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1523-animated-farm-pigs/

animated and rideable donkeys

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1822-new-animated-donkey/

Rideable Unicorns

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/7-rideable-unicorns/

Flyable N Rideable Dragon

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/8-flyable-n-rideable-dragon/

animated chickens

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1522-animated-chickens/

Animated Goats – Milkable

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/2042-updated-animated-goats-milkable/

and now I have realised there are so many playable animations to be had with these animals I am going to try out my first farm :)

Edit: I forgot to add the T3T2 animated dragon-)

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/2259-ts3-dragon-for-ts2/

Animated Dove with Custom Sound

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/1373-animated-dove-with-custom-sound/

Animated Penguins

http://affinitysims.com/files/file/2098-animated-penguins-seasons-required/

Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    http://xxxsims2.chez.com/sims2farm/ <--if this link is plummed out then just click the Youtube link it's there. Unfortunately, the site is an sims 2 adult site so it may be blocked on here.
  • Options
    lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    I still play and enjoy both TS2 and 3.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
  • Options
    @nanashi-sims

Thanks for that farm animal link it’s a little weird lol After a quick look I have noticed they appear to have a farm animal download and the horse mod separately is that correct? I wonder if you could do me a favour when you have the time and watch the video with the rideable horse animations from the above link at affinity sims and let me know which you actually think is the better of the two...
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @nanashi-sims

Thanks for that farm animal link it’s a little weird lol After a quick look I have noticed they appear to have a farm animal download and the horse mod separately is that correct? I wonder if you could do me a favour when you have the time and watch the video with the rideable horse animations from the above link at affinity sims and let me know which you actually think is the better of the two...

I'd be interested to know that too, thank you!
  • Options
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @nanashi-sims

@SPARKY1922 and @Serendipity38 - OK, I've never used the affinity sims mod, so I'll download it and compare :smile: If you can give me a couple days as I have a paper due tonight (was simming this weekend instead of studying)
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been able to enjoy both games equally and love each of them for their own reasons.I love playing TS2 more in the summer when it gets too hot to feel comfortable with running TS3 because I have to make the sessions very short.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    @nanashi-sims

Awesome thank you so much whenever you have time as I understand how busy you are :)
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    @nanashi-sims

Ditto what Sparky1922, said! And thank you!
  • Options
    LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    In my opinion i think that the sims 2 is better than any of the other sims series. I play a lot of 4 now a days though but that still doesn't mean I find 4 better than 2.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    LadyJester wrote: »
    In my opinion i think that the sims 2 is better than any of the other sims series. I play a lot of 4 now a days though but that still doesn't mean I find 4 better than 2.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you play 4 if you think 2 is better?

I'm really not sure these days about which is best. Not 4 for sure though :D

I always spent an awful amount of time on 2 and never had that same love again. But I do love the open world and cast in 3 and the fact that all sims age even if you do not play them.