Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

consipiacy theroy

im so going to be blocked for this...
anyone think its curious that this hastily put together patch arrives just after simmers figure out how to create hair, and make mods themselves? that would certainly slow down sales at the store- not oly because people are downloading the new hair, but also because people are prepared to wait a little when they see results- and results that are free.

point is, the patch conflicts with quite a lot of the work modders have done- rendering it useless and driving simmers back to the official store for goodies. peggysims hair reportedly crashes often with the patch (or maybe before)

ea's current new cash-grabbing policy makes me think this is a little to coincidental to be ea showing some good faith, or maybe im better at pattern recognition than other people (stolen from zero punctuation).

Or maybe not, i was flustered at ea anyway.

incidently, im fairly openminded, and im happy to admit im wrong provided with a logical argument, emphasis on logical.

Comments

• Options
    bethekinsbethekins Posts: 1,607 New Member
    edited June 2009
    yeah, I have to say it does strike a bit of a note of wonderment with me. I have yet to download the patch.

EDIT: Never mind about the conflicts, I guess there has been a few D: that totally sucks about peggysims hair! they've been one of my favourite creators for ts2 T^T
  • Options
    Billysim143Billysim143 Posts: 968 Member
    edited June 2009
    It only conflicks with the resource.cfg files.

When I changed mine I saved the originals and remembered where I changed them. I had no problem installing the patch, just takes a little effort on the gamer to keep things in order.
  • Options
    illustrationillustration Posts: 168 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Not really imo, the patch was created in a month with issues taken into consideration, I doubt with the fact that CC came out thesame timethat EA could as soon as, create a patch which messes it up!
  • Options
    BrumstudentBrumstudent Posts: 139 Member
    edited June 2009
    i don't know, possibly refuting my argument as useless and ignorant, i didn't even bother to download the patch, as it definetly would conflict woth awesome mod, which corrects more errors anyway.
    reports of crasing have been frequent these past few days, but then again people who have it running fine aren't likely to comment or complain, and only a very small preportion of simmers use CC.
    guess the timing just strikes me as too, precise, espceially as new items appeared in the sim store before the patch, so they weren't all on a massive holiday or something.

not sure i know what you mean, billysim.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited June 2009
    anyone think its curious that this hastily put together patch arrives just after simmers figure out how to create hair, and make mods themselves? that would certainly slow down sales at the store- not oly because people are downloading the new hair, but also because people are prepared to wait a little when they see results- and results that are free.

point is, the patch conflicts with quite a lot of the work modders have done- rendering it useless and driving simmers back to the official store for goodies. peggysims hair reportedly crashes often with the patch (or maybe before)

ea's current new cash-grabbing policy makes me think this is a little to coincidental to be ea showing some good faith, or maybe im better at pattern recognition than other people (stolen from zero punctuation).

incidently, im fairly openminded, and im happy to admit im wrong provided with a logical argument, emphasis on logical.

Sweetie, I don't think that any of this has to do with the store. The patch was direly needed (yea verily) and that might be why the coders at EA rushed the process a little.

It's the same with World of Warcraft, after every odd number of patches I have to get a new version of Auctioneer (even if that add-on is rather patch-resilient). As an MMO-gamer, I'm quite used to the fact that official patches disturb add-ons, but as time progresses, the teams behind the add-ons have become remarkably adept at developping add-ons that are more "generally" coded as to survive a large number of patch-days.

So, all in all, the fact that the hair-mod stopped working due to the patch is nowhere near the fault of EA, but is totally due to the lack of experience the modders have with the coding of TS3 and the way sturdy add-ons for TS3 are supposed to be coded. That's all, really.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Sweetie, I don't think that any of this has to do with the store. The patch was direly needed (yea verily) and that might be why the coders at EA rushed the process a little.

It's the same with World of Warcraft, after every odd number of patches I have to get a new version of Auctioneer (even if that add-on is rather patch-resilient). As an MMO-gamer, I'm quite used to the fact that official patches disturb add-ons, but as time progresses, the teams behind the add-ons have become remarkably adept at developping add-ons that are more "generally" coded as to survive a large number of patch-days.

So, all in all, the fact that the hair-mod stopped working due to the patch is nowhere near the fault of EA, but is totally due to the lack of experience the modders have with the coding of TS3 and the way sturdy add-ons for TS3 are supposed to be coded. That's all, really.

thats a fair point, but it wasn't the one i was trying to make.
    yes, conflicting with mods was expected (thats why i turned auto-patch off)
    what i was trying to get accross was not only its rushed nature, but the timing. The story progesssion post by the simguru suggested they already new where the story progession fault lay- they even had a fix for it.
    them j.m pescado fixed the problem days after- why has it taken ea so long? the appeared to be prefectly content to let us stew, we've heard nothing from them since the game came out except that small note, so why give us such a hasty patch now?

did they give in to out petitions? *massive sarcasm*
  • Options
    Tenshi3Tenshi3 Posts: 2,653 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You know, they didnt even land on the moon either 8)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Tenshi3 wrote:

:)

Atlantis is in the middle of the pacific, but is currenlt over-run by little girls, and big men in diving suits.
  • Options
    poida217poida217 Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited June 2009
    Tenshi3 wrote:

Sure they did, they brought back tin foil hats for everyone...
    24891575472_e27b0a3fc3_o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    also, dinosaurs died of hay-fever (actually a theroy)
  • Options
    edited June 2009

what i was trying to get accross was not only its rushed nature, but the timing. The story progesssion post by the simguru suggested they already new where the story progession fault lay- they even had a fix for it.
    them j.m pescado fixed the problem days after- why has it taken ea so long? the appeared to be prefectly content to let us stew, we've heard nothing from them since the game came out except that small note, so why give us such a hasty patch now?

did they give in to out petitions? *massive sarcasm*

Pescado was working from a leaked pre-launch copy. Don't make the dude out to be some Sims-Angel. He made some good statements against TS2 paysites, with which I agree, but other than that he is a very unlikable person in my personal view.
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited June 2009
    i did download the patch and so far i havent had any issues. i dont have peggys hair but i do have some content from MOD and i have the helper monkey, and those things work fine. so i think its just that peggy sims need to work on their coding
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So, all in all, the fact that the hair-mod stopped working due to the patch is nowhere near the fault of EA, but is totally due to the lack of experience the modders have with the coding of TS3 and the way sturdy add-ons for TS3 are supposed to be coded. That's all, really.[/quote]

did they give in to out petitions? *massive sarcasm*[/quote]

Pescado was working from a leaked pre-launch copy. Don't make the dude out to be some Sims-Angel. He made some good statements against TS2 paysites, with which I agree, but other than that he is a very unlikable person in my personal view.[/quote]

Didn't know he was using the pre-launch copy, but he is still very talented. i guess i am pretty admireing of him, maybe not sim-angel but still. he was still working with the technology for less time than the creators, and if he has started on the patch earlier, doesn't that raise the question of what the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the play testers hd been doing?
    i can't help but feel that argument was ad-hominem though- you haven't really dicussed the issue (with respect)

no idea why the text has gone massive (not my intention)
  • Options
    Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Heh, cute idea, but I think you're giving them too much credit there. I've been down this path before with other games and mods. EA is just marching along releasing the patches as they go. That it coincides with what the modders are doing is chance. Unless it starts happening regularly. Then you can re-open this topic with more conviction.

Also, if you know the modding community, you know that it doesn't matter what patches EA does. They will work around them and re-issue and re-build. Happens all the time just like with the WoW mods mentioned earlier, though admittedly in WoW's case, Blizzard is very open and accommodating to that community...since they stated up front that they reserved the right to take anything you make and use it themselves if they like it! 8)

Edit - You may have hit the Font: Normal drop down box up there and it's now on big?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gouka989 wrote:
    Heh, cute idea, but I think you're giving them too much credit there. I've been down this path before with other games and mods. EA is just marching along releasing the patches as they go. That it coincides with what the modders are doing is chance. Unless it starts happening regularly. Then you can re-open this topic with more conviction.

Also, if you know the modding community, you know that it doesn't matter what patches EA does. They will work around them and re-issue and re-build. Happens all the time just like with the WoW mods mentioned earlier, though admittedly in WoW's case, Blizzard is very open and accommodating to that community...since they stated up front that they reserved the right to take anything you make and use it themselves if they like it! 8)

i guess so. i know the modders will just update their codes, it just seems a little to coincidental.

i guess what my main concern is that what with ea's new approach to 'customer relations' there going to try to stop people stealing there precious money with free, better additions.
  • Options
    gothicvampyres28gothicvampyres28 Posts: 345 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Zeri wrote:
    i did download the patch and so far i havent had any issues. i dont have peggys hair but i do have some content from MOD and i have the helper monkey, and those things work fine. so i think its just that peggy sims need to work on their coding

Same here..everything is working great..I don't have peggy hair either..But I do have content from MOD And the Monkey also..
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Gouka989 wrote:

Edit - You may have hit the Font: Normal drop down box up there and it's now on big?

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of good old Blizzard. They are on record as the only company ever to have released a game in the past that's still being avidly played since it release 8 years ago (Diablo 2 Lords of Destruction), and having to add ten(!) patches in that era. Most of them were content-adding patches aswell.
    They are abolute concrete about when and how they do something and always take their sweet time. I wager that Diablo 3 will as flawless as Diablo2 was (and still is.)
    Fact is that I wouldn't be playing a MMO is it wasn't been coded by Blizzard.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    im going now for soup. so you can say what you want about me :p

oh, and thanks for being reasonable and logical, your nice people to talk with.
  • Options
    poida217poida217 Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited June 2009

Is it canned soup, straight from the fridge without heating?
    24891575472_e27b0a3fc3_o.gif
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited June 2009
    oo my sims favorite kind ^_^
  • Options
    sierrajoliesierrajolie Posts: 229 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I totally agree with you, Brumstudent.
    I downloaded the patch and my game crashes alot with the peggy hair. Such a shame, that hair was beautiful.
  • Options
    Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited June 2009
    poida217 wrote:

Is it canned soup, straight from the fridge without heating?

Only the very best! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    MasterOinkMasterOink Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Peggyhair is nothing more than an alteration to the existing hair. Nothing really special about it.

I'm pretty sure they solved the problem with the speed issues by taking some shortcuts/workarounds with regard to the way the game draws things in high speed mode.

Considering that, it's not too awful surprising that some alterations to the canned hair can cause a crash. I'm sure it will be sorted out by the modders within a short time.

Considering the time frame between when the peggy hair was released, and the patch was released, I doubt that it's possible that the built the patch just because of that. Certainly they could have slipped something in specifically to conflict with it, but I doubt it, since it wouldn't be worth their time.

Why? Because they don't lose anything by you using peggy hair, since it doesn't actually add anything to the game, it just alters an existing hair.
  • Options
    VyxnnVyxnn Posts: 51 New Member
    edited June 2009
    MasterOink wrote:
    Peggyhair is nothing more than an alteration to the existing hair. Nothing really special about it.

I'm pretty sure they solved the problem with the speed issues by taking some shortcuts/workarounds with regard to the way the game draws things in high speed mode.

Considering that, it's not too awful surprising that some alterations to the canned hair can cause a crash. I'm sure it will be sorted out by the modders within a short time.

Considering the time frame between when the peggy hair was released, and the patch was released, I doubt that it's possible that the built the patch just because of that. Certainly they could have slipped something in specifically to conflict with it, but I doubt it, since it wouldn't be worth their time.

Why? Because they don't lose anything by you using peggy hair, since it doesn't actually add anything to the game, it just alters an existing hair.

1. Not so special? I don't see you modding anything. And the hair was gorgeous.
    I've said it once, and I'll say it a thousand more times. all the sims 3 hair *FAILS*

2. and yes, they CAN lose things from people modding. Especially since this bull 🐸🐸🐸🐸 store came out. the hair isnt ANY better. and are all just WORSE alterations of already BAD hair. Theyre gonna loose money if people are making nice alterations. srsly.

edit - though I do disagree with her little conspiracy theory.