Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying a new pc today will it run the sims 3 ? Please help

Series Pavilion

Model Number p6710f

Lifestyle Home & Student

Color Glossy Black

Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Case & Motherboard
Form Factor Tower

Case Orientation Vertical

Processor
CPU Brand AMD

# of Cores 4

CPU Type Athlon II X4

CPU Speed 640 (3GHz)

Level 2 Cache 2MB

FSB 4000MHz

CPU Socket AM3

CPUs Installed 1

CPUs Supported 1

CPU Main Features Virtualization Technology
AMD 64 Technology
MMX
Enhanced 3DNow!
NX bit
Cool'n'Quiet

Memory
Total Memory 4GB

Memory Speed DDR3-1333

Form Factor 240-pin DIMM

Memory Configuration 2 x 2GB

Memory Slots (Total) 2

Memory Slots (Available) 0

Maximum Memory Supported 16GB

Hard Drive
HD Capacity 1TB

HD Interface SATA

HD RPM 7,200 RPM

HD Configuration 1 x 1TB

Multimedia Drives
Optical Drives Included 1

Optical Drive SuperMulti DVD±RW

Optical Drive Specs SuperMulti DVD±RW - Write: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROM

Display
Display Type Display Not Included

Video
GPU Type ATi Radeon HD 4200

Video Memory Up to 1919MB

GPU Interface Integrated

Display Interface 1 x VGA
1 x DVI

Audio
Audio System High Definition Audio

Audio Channels 7.1

Communications
LAN Ethernet LAN

LAN Data Rate Speed 10/100Mbps

WLAN Wireless LAN

Wireless Technology 802.11b
802.11g
802.11n

Card Reader
Card Reader 15-in-1 Memory Card Reader

Media Supported CompactFlash I
CompactFlash II
MicroDrive
MMC
MMCplus
MMCmobile
RS-MMC
Secure Digital
miniSD
SmartMedia
Memory Stick
Memory Stick PRO
Memory Stick Duo
Memory Stick PRO Duo
xD

Front Panel Ports
USB 2.0 2

Audio 1 x headphone
1 x microphone

Back Panel Ports
DVI 1

USB 2.0 4

LAN RJ-45 1

Audio 4

Digital Audio 1

Expansion Bays
External 5.25" Bays (Total) 2

External 5.25" Bays (Available) 1

External 3.5" Bays (Total) 1

External 3.5" Bays (Available) 1

Internal 3.5" Bays (Total) 2

Internal 3.5" Bays (Available) 1

Expansion Slots
PCIe x16 Slots (Total) 1

PCIe x16 Slots (Available) 1

PCIe x1 Slots (Total) 3

PCIe x1 Slots (Available) 3

Mini PCIe Slots (Total) 1

Mini PCIe Slots (Available) 0

Keyboard
Keyboard Standard

Connection Type USB

Power Source USB

Mouse
Mouse Optical

Connection Type USB

Power Source USB

Physical Specifications
Width 6.97"

Depth 16.85"

Height 15.32"

Weight 9.75 lbs.

Box Size 19.61" x 23.03" x 9.65"

Shipping Weight 11.25 lbs.

What's in the Box
Preloaded Software Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe
MediaSmart Software Suite
Norton Internet Security 2011 60-Day Trial

Manufacturer Warranty
Parts 1 year

Labor 1 year

Please help me don't want to waste $500.00 :wink:

Comments

• Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited May 2011
    That graphics card is probably going to be an issue. It's not a supported card and it's underpowered for the game. The lowest supported 4000 series ATI is the 4850. You will probably be able to run it on low-medium graphics settings, but I can't guaranty anything since this isn't a supported card.
  • Options
    lovints2lovints2 Posts: 3,738 New Member
    edited May 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    That graphics card is probably going to be an issue. It's not a supported card and it's underpowered for the game. The lowest supported 4000 series ATI is the 4850. You will probably be able to run it on low-medium graphics settings, but I can't guaranty anything since this isn't a supported card.

Thank you so much LittleV :mrgreen: I was unsure about the graphics until now :!: I was kinda of hoping, I would hear yes it will run it smoothly but here`s to hoping :lol: So if I replace that card and add a new power supply I should have no problems running the game right :?:
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited May 2011
    lovints2 wrote:
    LittleV wrote:

Thank you so much LittleV :mrgreen: I was unsure about the graphics until now :!: I was kinda of hoping, I would hear yes it will run it smoothly but here`s to hoping :lol: So if I replace that card and add a new power supply I should have no problems running the game right :?:
    As long as the computer isn't a laptop and the motherboard has a compatible PCI slot then yes, you can replace it with a new graphics card.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    lovints2 wrote:
    LittleV wrote:

As long as the computer isn't a laptop and the motherboard has a compatible PCI slot then yes, you can replace it with a new graphics card.

Oh ok but how do I know if it has a compatible PCI slot and btw it's not a laptop :D
  • Options
    gr1zzlygr1zzly Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited May 2011
    Almost all new computers come with a pci-e slot. I just checked and yours does have a pci-e slot. Just get a new card and psu. Make sure you update the card drivers, they normally don't come with the latest drivers.
    Here is a link to find compatible cards:
    http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gr1zzly wrote:
    Almost all new computers come with a pci-e slot. I just checked and yours does have a pci-e slot. Just get a new card and psu. Make sure you update the card drivers, they normally don't come with the latest drivers.
    Here is a link to find compatible cards:
    http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_System_Requirements

Thank you so much gr1zzly because I was really sweating it thinking OMG I forgot to check that :shock: But thank you I'm so happy right now I want to hug you :lol:
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    edited May 2011
    The integrated ATI 4200 won't run to good - you need to get a video card for the empty PCIe slot. The spec says 2 memory slots but a picture of the motherboard shows 4 memory slots. You will need to upgrade the 250 watt power supply. I question if it's good enough for the basic unit.

Good luck!
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    lauriej0823lauriej0823 Posts: 411 Member
    edited May 2011
    i have the the p6720f which has the same video card and after installing game the setting where all set to high and i have no crashes however i also have 6megs of ram so my video memory is 2934 instead of the 1919 the p6710f has. I also have a 2 laptops with this video and they also run the game on high settings. and yes this machine has a pci slot so you can install different card however you will need to update the power supply.

fyi just to let you know that my model is avail for 499.00 at staples. and also hp modifys the cards and the cpu's so that they dont need alot of power at least this per the hp forums.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Happy to report I installed all my sims games and they work wonderfully with this graphics card :mrgreen: I have all setting on high :!: I'm so glad to have purchased this pc and the 4200HD series must be supported here are a few pics :mrgreen: thanks for all the help everyone.
    Screenshot-9-2.jpg
    Screenshot-5-1.jpg