Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Scotch Hollow: New modern build for 123 Huckleberry Trail, pg 6

KimSim1965KimSim1965 Posts: 712 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Scotch Hollow RELEASE 9/4/11

aa_ad_scotch-hollow-release.jpg"width=600""height=450"

Details, more pics, and further info here:
http://kimsim1965.wordpress.com/scotch-hollow-caw-world-and-save-file/
Stats (based on contents of SAVE file)...

HOUSEHOLDS: 38 (all households have a story and established relationships with other households all over town)

LOTS---Populated Residential: 38; Blank (empty) Residential: 19 (will upload my builds for these lots in the future); Commercial: 60

CONTAINS all rabbit holes; has several hangouts, clubs, lots of spawners

REQUIRES: Base game, ALL EPs, ALL SPs (except TL, probably; I have TL, but I have not used it). Also, to see everything I used, you will want to have Barnacle Bay, Riverview, and several STORE items up to May 2011 (although I have truly kept my use of these to a minimum). There are a couple of Dr. Pepper items on a lot or two, but it's not really necessary to have these. No 3rd party CC!

ISSUES? Some minor lot tearing, but nothing too distracting. My road smoothing didn't "take" sometimes, but I kind of like the idea of some occasional "bumps" in the road. When I installed the SAVE file on a new PC, I found that a few objects I had placed (with MOO) in the Rabbit Ridge Chapel had "jumped" out of place; this is an easy fix (simply move them or delete them yourself, whatever your preference). I should have made the churches into small parks or something instead of "hangouts" in order to plan a wedding at these venues; this, too, is an easy fix (simply change the lot type in edit town mode). I have had a sim or two get "stuck," but that is likely an EA thing and not necessarily a Scotch Hollow thing (simply use the resetSim cheat if this happens). I have been playtesting this world for months, and one of the added bonuses of building in the game (instead of in CAW's edit-in-game mode) is that issues quickly became apparent, and I was able to correct them right away. Other than those listed here, I have not had any problems.

***IMPORTANT NOTE***: Because I find the CAW tool an absolute nuisance, I designed the terrain, streets, and layout of the lots using CAW, as well as a few of the primary community lots. The majority of this world, however, was built IN-GAME--not CAW's EIG mode, but in the actual game. Once I had the terrain, streets, trees, and lots all designed, I uploaded the CAW file and installed it into my game, and built all the remaining lots from there. Therefore, if you only DL the world package (step 1 below) from the Exchange, you will not get all the built lots you see in most of my screen shots; you will only get a mostly bare world with tons of empty lots (some of you may actually prefer this). If, however, you want to get all that you see, you will need to also DL the SAVE file through Mediafire (step 2 below).***
Step 1) Download world package here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=4554515
UNpopulated Scotch Hollow with few buildings
LOOKS SIMILAR TO THIS (mostly empty lots)....
lake-valley-overview.jpg?w=300"width=600""height=450"

Step 2) Download the SAVE file here, using Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lcdvt4f5j3bp8tl/Scotch%20Hollow%20by%20KS1965.sims3.zip
FULLY POPULATED and COMPLETELY BUILT Scotch Hollow
LOOKS SIMILAR TO THIS (fully built lots; fully populated town; MUCH BETTER!)....
scotch-hollow-5.jpg?w=300"width=600""height=450"

Hope you like!
Kim
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited April 2011
    I like Hermit Hollow :D Here are some of mine: :oops:

Springvale..?
    Valley Basin?
    Valleymere?

I dunno, it's hard :XD:

Nice world, by the way! :mrgreen:

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi, :mrgreen:

Your world looks very nice. :D
    I don't have a name idea for you but keep up the good work. :thumbup:
  • Options
    3litz9963litz996 Posts: 43
    edited April 2011
    I like your idea......about the names......um...:
    Lake Ennis

Thats the only one i can think of at the moment :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Conorsim and 3litz: Thanks for the suggestions. I like them all!

I actually thought of another possibility after I started this thread. How about Scotch Hollow? :D I kind of like it!

Rflong7, I appreciate the comment. I love your worlds! This is only the second world I've made...and I never bothered to upload the first one, but I thought it was pretty good and it still plays well. It's a lot of work, so I don't know how you make so many really very beautiful worlds. Thanks for the encouragement.

:-)
    Kim
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    BUMP! (b/c it was sooo late last night when I posted the above!)
    :?
  • Options
    PapaSmurf1PapaSmurf1 Posts: 497 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I don't know about you but I kind of like the sound of Finn Valley, although I do like Hermit Hollow as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PapaSmurf1 wrote:
    I don't know about you but I kind of like the sound of Finn Valley, although I do like Hermit Hollow as well.
    Yeah, I like both of those, too. I think I'd lean more toward Finn Valley. I love Hermit Hollow, but it's almost too rustic sounding for this world. Oooh, I know! I'll name the fishing hole located in the rural/country region Hermit Hollow.

Either way, papasmurf, thanks for your input! :-) It is greatly appreciated.

I plan to take some screen shots in the next day or two to show everyone how the world is coming along. In the meantime, I'm still open for name suggestions.

Thanks,
    Kim :D

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Below you will see some CAW pics of Scotch Hollow.

Keep in mind that this is a work in progress (WIP).

Some people will not like the fact that some of my lots are not flat (although most of them are indeed flat). This is done on purpose as a matter of personal taste--I get really tired of the flatness and occasionally like a lot that creates a bit of geographical interest.

The world will have proper addresses on each lot. There are several regions: urban/metro; suburban/rural; hill country; farming community; trendy refurbished historic neighborhoods; a historic commercial district; and woodsy nature areas. Scotch Hollow will have all rabbit holes, some LN skyskrapers both for housing and business, and you will need all EPs and SPs for everything to show up properly. (You will likely notice one lot already that contains Dr. Pepper DL content--the movie theatre. If you don't have it, don't worry, I've decided to put the base game version on that lot instead--it blends better in this part of town, anyway!) Although not pictured yet, I have already exported this world to my Sims 3 game and built several lots. I will upload those pictures of those finished lots as I have time to do so.

lake-valley-overview.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    hermit-hollow.png"width=600"height=450"
    rabbit-ridge-farming-community.png"width=600""height=450"
    bridge.png"width=600""height=450"
    new-scotch-hollow-metro-area.png"width=600""height=450"
    grail-gorge.png"width=600""height=450"
    old-scotch-hollow.png"width=600""height=450"
    godrics-gulch.png"width=600""height=450"
    lake-valley2.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,589 Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi, KimSim :mrgreen:

It's looking very gorgeous! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rflong7 wrote:
    Hi, KimSim :mrgreen:

It's looking very gorgeous! :thumbup:

Thanks Rflong7! I truly appreciate the feedback. :-)
    Kim
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So glad I could be of service, I like your idea with naming the separate areas of the map, and come to think of it Scotch Hollow has a nice ring to it. Your world so far looks really good, I like the layout, giant lake in the middle with a few islands in the middle but other than that big open lake.

Really nice, looking forward to updates.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ah! I love the name you chose. :mrgreen: Great progress so far. ;)
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited April 2011
    Spectacular! I love the look and layout. It looks like I imagine Scotland must look like, but I don't have anything but ancestral memory and the internet to guide me.

• Options
    edited April 2011
    PapaSmurf1: It's weird I was stuck on a name for the world, but yet I end up naming regions (which was really not necessary---but fun)! Go figure. :-) Anyway, thanks for the comments about the progress. I'm glad you like the open lake idea--I wanted something between the Missouri Ozarks and Scotland! :D

Conorsim: Yep, that name is a pleaser...in more ways than one. LOL

Clayworld: Glad you recognize the Scottish aire of this world--I have nothing other than imagination, heritage, and the internet to go on either. :-( Maybe someday I can actually go there! Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

Have a great day, all! :-)
    Kim
  • Options
    Illyianna2005Illyianna2005 Posts: 895 Member
    edited April 2011
    This World looks really lovely and I can't wait to see it finished, keep up the great Work. :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This World looks really lovely and I can't wait to see it finished, keep up the great Work. :-)

Well, thank you very much, Illyianna2005! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :-)
    Kim
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Took a few in-game pics last night and thought I'd share them with you all.
    screenshot-101.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-54.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Ocean Zen, a fusion lounge
    screenshot-52.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-51.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-46.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Scotch Landing (market)
    screenshot-50.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Scotch Landing (market)
    screenshot-49.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-45.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-43.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-39.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    The Gas-n-Gruel (food stand)
    screenshot-70.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    screenshot-38.jpg"width=600""height=450"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    happyjmehappyjme Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2011
    This is looking really nice. I like the little communities. What packs are going to be needed? Can you make a version that doesn't include BB as well?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Your lots are beautiful, Kim. I love the little boardwalk feature in Scotch Landing, and also how you put the BB diner in water. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    happyjme wrote:
    This is looking really nice. I like the little communities. What packs are going to be needed? Can you make a version that doesn't include BB as well?

Hi happyjme!
    Thanks for the compliments.

I have all EPs and SPs, and the world will contain some Store items, but I am doing my best to keep this minimal.

Sorry, but I won't be making any versions of this world other than the one that I make. If I make it available for download, it's only because I'm sharing; the world will be made primarily for my own enjoyment, so I will of course include things I have purposely placed in my own game. Anyone who doesn't have those items can always edit the world by using their particular game content. Sorry again for any inconvenience.

Either way, thanks for taking time to comment. Have a great day! :-)
    Kim
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Conorsim wrote:
    Your lots are beautiful, Kim. I love the little boardwalk feature in Scotch Landing, and also how you put the BB diner in water. :thumbup:

Hey Conorsim!

Well, thank you very much! As for the BB diner in water--that idea just popped in my head when I started building that landing. I know I've seen stuff like that at theme parks or miniature golf courses...or somewhere! LOL

Glad you're liking the look of things so far, and I appreciate you taking time to comment.

Have a wonderful day!
    Kim
  • Options
    jonas3333jonas3333 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2011
    I think Scotch Hollow is a great name. It resonates well and has a spooky tone to it. The name is what made me look at your post, so I'd say keep it!

Love the little areas in your world too! The Gas and Gruel is a great little lot! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jonas3333 wrote:
    I think Scotch Hollow is a great name. It resonates well and has a spooky tone to it. The name is what made me look at your post, so I'd say keep it!

Love the little areas in your world too! The Gas and Gruel is a great little lot! :)

Thanks, jonas. I'm glad you agree on the name choice. I really like it, too, and plan to stick with it. The Gas-n-Gruel was sort of an implulse build...It's on such a tiny little lot, but I think it looks pretty cool. :-)

Kim
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thought I'd share a pic of one the cottages that is in the historical "Cottage Row" district of Scotch Hollow.

I call it Culpepper Cottage. It has two bedrooms, one bath, open floorplan on the first floor, fireplace, colorful but tasteful decor. I'll put up more pics of the interior once I have it completed.

For now, here is an exterior shot of Culpepper Cottage...

culpepper-cottage.jpg"width=600""height=450"

:D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's starting to look really good I especially like this shot. It just so beautiful to me, and really tells me I got a crap load of work to do for my world.
    screenshot-45.jpg"width=640"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top