Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is anyone else disappointed with story progression, and the expansion packs

I'm sure a rant about this has been posted more than once, but I don't care. Is anyone disappointed with story progression. What bothers me the most is what the Sims do and accomplish in their lives. I will create Sims with specific traits, like family oriented or ambitious workaholic, then leave them while I play another family member. When I return to the family with the specific traits they are not following them. The workaholic is still at level one of this career, the family oriented Sims has no children. I give then all of the necessary things for these traits like cribs, and learning tools. What gives? Is there any way to improve story progression?

Another complaint that I have is the expansion packs. It seems to me Sims 3 is going to be a repeat of Sims 1 and 2. Why weren't pets, vampires, zombies, and werewolves in the original game? Why is EA creating repeat expansion packs for Sims 3. Let's do something new. . .
Don't get me wrong World Adventures and Ambitions are good . . .and very similar to Bon Voyage and Vacation. Ambitions, Living Large and Open for Business. EA should have incorporated the gameplay from Sims 1 and 2 expansion packs into the Sims 3 base game.

Comments

• Options
    pugger64pugger64 Posts: 1,295
    edited September 2010
    scwhit84 wrote:
    I'm sure a rant about this has been posted more than once, but I don't care. Is anyone disappointed with story progression. What bothers me the most is what the Sims do and accomplish in their lives. I will create Sims with specific traits, like family oriented or ambitious workaholic, then leave them while I play another family member. When I return to the family with the specific traits they are not following them. The workaholic is still at level one of this career, the family oriented Sims has no children. I give then all of the necessary things for these traits like cribs, and learning tools. What gives? Is there any way to improve story progression?

Another complaint that I have is the expansion packs. It seems to me Sims 3 is going to be a repeat of Sims 1 and 2. Why weren't pets, vampires, zombies, and werewolves in the original game? Why is EA creating repeat expansion packs for Sims 3. Let's do something new. . .
    Don't get me wrong World Adventures and Ambitions are good . . .and very similar to Bon Voyage and Vacation. Ambitions, Living Large and Open for Business. EA should have incorporated the gameplay from Sims 1 and 2 expansion packs into the Sims 3 base game.

1. turn OFF story progression in the options. The sims tht you are not playing at the time will stay the same once you play them again. . .

2. For the zombies, werewolves, ect. to be prefect, they HAVE to come with a different EP cause it would be too much for an EP and they dont go with the basegame really. SO wait and be patient. . .
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited September 2010
    I have to agree. I hate story progression , and just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I could List the reasons why it Sux, but they've already been gone over, and I'd probably find a few I missed!

I'm just Used to playing "sims 2 style" I guess. I have definitely turned off story progression in the game options. But it's Very pervasive!! It Still mananges to sneak stupid things in even turned off! For instance, in a new town with no or not many occupants yet, story progress will place sims in town for you even turned off! I'm actually developing a List of Tricks and work-arounds just to combat story progression!

There are mods for this, but I don't want to install cc mods.

As for the expansion packs, that's a whole other story. I like the EP's so far. I don't see why they should have to duplicate old ones, add old ones to a new base game, or not duplicate them. But everyone has a different idea of what EP they want.
  • Options
    simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited September 2010
    scwhit84 wrote:

give your sims MORE TIME to change, i mean a baby dosent just pop up overnight :roll: it takes 3 days :mrgreen: and traits dont affect story progression but just how you play the game, story progression isnt perfect but its pretty darn good, plus how could they add all the stuff with traits affecting it on low level computers they wouldnt be able to handle it all. as for expansions they HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REPEATS! if you didnt like them repeating expansions in sims 2 than why did you play and why are you playing now? and to add ALL of the sims1+2 elements(includes EPs) would take a ENOURMUS amount of computer storage not to mention bad for EAs buisness, and even if they did make it it would take 4 years to develop it after the last sims2 expansion! the playerbase wont stick around that long.

so im sorry but i am not anoyed by ANY of that stuff
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited September 2010
    I never worry about story progression since I only play one family at a time in a Legacy Style fashion.

As for having everything in the base game, I don't know if you noticed this or not, but they actually incorporated elements of Seasons (leftovers, fishing, gardening), Free Time(collecting)and Open For Business (buying partnerships in businesses)in the base game.

I'm sure it would have been nice for them to have had all the objects that came with the Sims 2 in the base game; however, I'm also sure you would have been equally as thrilled to have to pay $100 for just the regular base game; nevermind the collector's edition, plus the cost of upgrading your graphics card or your computer's memory, etc. just to be able to run your game with weather installed in an open neighborhood.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!