Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is anyone playing in cottage Living

EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
I was thinking about buying Cottage Living and was wondering how it is. I do like the map. Like how do you like it and do you have to make a farm.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited April 2023
    Henford is so beautiful. The chickens & bunnies are too funny & they can be useful. The cow & Llama are very handy. The CAS is beautifully historic. The gameplay is also wonderfully historic.
    As well as, Cottage Living goes way perfectly with Get Together, Seasons, Eco Living &
    Outdoor Retreat.😍🥰

And no, you don’t need to have a farm.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited April 2023
    It's a super great pack, adding s much! Seeing your avatar I'm 110% sure you will like it (but there are only cows, llamas and chicken as farm animals, plus foxes, rabbits and birds in the wild).

I play some farmers, but also a palace, a paranormal house, a simple apple tree cottage and a few small cottages more for artists than farmers. I find the farm aspects more fun if focusing on those tasks (have a milk farm OR a chicken farm), but the world is a very nice scenery for most country side households. And - having just a kitchen coop to provide your house with fresh eggs is not really hard work - you can still tend to a regular career etc. Canning is a new feature, goes perfect with retail or street sales table, but also makes for improved/increased ingredient.

One less obvious feature is the improved recipes, now allowing you to "live simple" meaning you can not cook just anything but need to have the ingredients. This is optional, you can still cook like before, but recipes are still more logical. I love the improved focus on food, and it is not restricted to the new world.

Lots of new mushrooms, fun especially if you play someone on the magic side.

I like BB/CAS, too. I'd get the pack right away, LOL :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    You can also check out the Livestream.

https://www.youtube.com/live/lGnkwx_e8eo?feature=share
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    Welp, the empty households save bloater bug is back. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Welp, the empty households save bloater bug is back. :(

@Flikka_Flikka is there a bug report for that?

ETA: Found a bug report that says fixed. If you're still having the problem you may want to start a new report.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/FIXED-Game-creating-tons-empty-households-Save-game-bloat-Insane/td-p/10543014
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    FutureFuture Posts: 336 Member
    I like the chickens for the small footprint, ordering groceries, and the Simple Living lot trait. I wasn’t impressed with the CAS items, buy mode items, or world tbh.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    edited April 2023
    It's a great pack. Everything about it. Great world, build/buy, gameplay additions. CAS okay. I don't care about that stuff as much. I pick out my Sims clothes when they age up and never change them again. So I'm happy with a few good things.

I use the "simple living" lot trait on every lot my Sims live on, so they have to grocery shop (if they don't have a large garden and chickens).
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    The world in a cottage living is great. You can do much more than farms with it. I think the upper lots by the waterfall is the best place for a witches ( or spell casters ) house, even better than Glimmerbrook , because it’s more of a secluded area. I love the simple living lot trait, most of my households use it, now they need to add a simple clothing trait in a pack. The pub there serves different foods, than the regular bars, and I especially like the way they made the chickens. I do have one farmer, but you don’t have to be a farmer.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    I often use the scarecrow and birds in other worlds. Children with high levels of mental skill can garden but cannot spray bugs.

Every pack and kit has something that I find essential to my gameplay. The packs that I was most uninterested in initially have become my favorites, often because of the extreme contrast to the gameplay offered in the packs that I was immediately drawn to.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I have always wanted farming in sims 4 as I played farmers in Sims 3. Plus it was always a dream of mine to own a small farm. I love Cottage Living with the animals, canning, and everything else that came with it! I wanted a very rural area for my sims to live and Henford fits that so well! It is also a great place for a game in the past and/or occults to live in. Farming fits well with family play as all members of a family pitch in when they live on farm. The interactions with toddlers and children with the animals are adorable! I love the knitting and now we also have counted cross stitch with this pack. I also have a small farming community in the upper lots of Brindleton Bay. You can have farms in any world. Works well with Eco Living too as I use the windmills and water collectors to save money. Like @Katofhyrule12 I also use the bunnies, birds and foxes in other worlds, mostly on my farm and park lots. I highly recommend this pack!
  • Options
    The bar in Cottage Living has a much larger and unique menu than any other pack. Werewolves added a few basic items, especially meat meals. I have not noticed unique or expanded bar foods in any of the other packs.
  • Options
    Well I did it. I now own Cottage Living, It is a little hard to get started, I do not know what lot to pick for my first start, any Ideas. I know there is a empty one. I don't know if it is good to kick anyone out and buy their lot.
  • Options
    Well I did it. I now own Cottage Living, It is a little hard to get started, I do not know what lot to pick for my first start, any Ideas. I know there is a empty one. I don't know if it is good to kick anyone out and buy their lot or not, or if it will ruin my game.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Actually, that's the fun part of getting a new world. I always delete most of the playable townies. >:):D Also, it's so fun to make the world the way you want it. :p Well to a point, that is.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I think the only premades you should not delete are those with a story riven purpose, like the bar owner, the guy living on a "secret" lot in the mid hood, and the ladies running those shops. But they don't occupy any house that you can make use of, so there's not really any good reason to get rid of them - at least not right away :)

My advise would be to start slowly, because it quickly gets overwhelming if you jump right at a farm with all sorts of animals + crops. There would not be time for anything but tending those animals. You will need to build relation with animals to max the outcome, can't be done if you spend all day on cleaning sheds :) o, start with just one sort of animal...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I started with Cordelia's Secret Cottage. It's beautiful, small and cozy. The perfect lot to start with.

Welcome back to the Sims 4. 😊

ETA: You probably don't want to kick out the Scott family as they own the pub.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I started with Cordelia's Secret Cottage. It's beautiful, small and cozy. The perfect lot to start with.

Welcome back to the Sims 4. 😊

ETA: You probably don't want to kick out the Scott family as they own the pub.

I did kick them out. Their fault if they hog the only 64x64 lot. :p But the pub will still work if they are moved out. There might be some one else working in the pub. It depends on what you find more important : the npc's with lore or a big lot to build on.
  • Options
    Most of the 64x64 lots are empty in my game so I don't have that problem. 😄
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I always kick Sims out and bulldoze or move (community) lots. It's the first thing I do when we get a new world. The only ones I leave alone are the special lots that can't really be changed (which I hate).
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    I never start with a new home in the new world. I start out visiting or vacationing in the new world, and I start including the new build/buy items in my already established homes.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I recently started playing with cottage living again. My stay at home mum with an infant daughter is growing crops and has a few chickens. Now I need to figure out how to get the biggest size crops for the aspiration. The Simple Living lot challenge is also great for more realism. This family is still living in brindleton bay and visit Henford if they need to. I did add the bunny stump and birds tree to the lot to experience wild animals in brindleton.

Here they are visiting Henford.
    YbPjmn7.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I think the only premades you should not delete are those with a story riven purpose, like the bar owner, the guy living on a "secret" lot in the mid hood, and the ladies running those shops. But they don't occupy any house that you can make use of, so there's not really any good reason to get rid of them - at least not right away :)

My advise would be to start slowly, because it quickly gets overwhelming if you jump right at a farm with all sorts of animals + crops. There would not be time for anything but tending those animals. You will need to build relation with animals to max the outcome, can't be done if you spend all day on cleaning sheds :) o, start with just one sort of animal...

Yeah, I suggest starting with chickens if you do decide to have farm animals.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Well I did it. I now own Cottage Living, It is a little hard to get started, I do not know what lot to pick for my first start, any Ideas. I know there is a empty one. I don't know if it is good to kick anyone out and buy their lot or not, or if it will ruin my game.

My Hogwarts scenario is still on the back-burner, but Henford makes a great location for it.
    12-23-21_3-16-03_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    It's one of my favourite packs because of all the British influences. The houses are a little small for family play so I often update them.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.