Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone playing sims 3 on Steam

If so How do you like it and can you download items and all.

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I like it but I have trouble downloading store items it says I don't own my items but my game runs better
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited April 2023
    @GraceyManor
    sounds interesting, the thing is I have all of the sims disk, but I heard I cannot use them in steam
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    I don't play on Steam but I buy the packs on Steam due to the frequent sales they offer. I then go to the Steam Library, find the Sims 3 cover art in my list of games, right-mouse click on TS3, click on manage, click on CD keys, and then input all of the listed CD keys into the Sims 3 Store website (under My Account > Register a Game).

Once all my Steam purchases are transferred to the Sims 3 store, I download them into the EA App/ Sims 3 Launcher and play through there.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    stickykissesstickykisses Posts: 2,039 Member
    yea I do, and so far am loving it. Downloading etc or doing anything is same as I remember from years ago.

One of the very helpful people over there, who seem to know a ton about fixing glitches, said that the steam version would not switch to the EA app but would instead, continue to use the launcher.

I hope so.
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    @GraceyManor
    sounds interesting, the thing is I have all of the sims disk, but I heard I cannot use them in steam

Correct, you cannot use the disk versions in Steam.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 2023

If so, do you like it and how is it. thinking of using steam but want to know how it is
  • Options
    Its exactly the same using the 1.67 version of Sims3. I've been playing on Steam since 2016. The only difference is some core mods like NRAAS Errortrap require a special Steam version. Every other mod and world and store item works the same.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options

@KevinL5275
    Thanks, I am looking into this as My sims 3 will not play anymore on AE sounds good as I do not play with mods, have never played with mods from sims 1 to sims 3, Is it hard to download or is all you do is just down load like always
  • Options
    @Evalen
    Not difficult at all, just pay your money and download the game like any other game. But wait for a sale first, Steam has them for great discounts every so often. Better to spend $100 than $400!
  • Options
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    @Evalen
    Not difficult at all, just pay your money and download the game like any other game. But wait for a sale first, Steam has them for great discounts every so often. Better to spend $100 than $400!

thanks I will be sure to wait for sales sounds good.
  • Options
    hey @Evalen if you are thinking about switching to steam then check out their Collection Bundle. It contains EVERYTHING except Store items, and the Katie Perry sweet treat stuff pack. https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1247/The_Sims_3_Collection/

I guess it went on sale once or twice, but the last time was over a year ago during steam's blowout August sale. I was told the bundle might not ever go on sale again, but who knows. Couldn't find my disks and really wanted to play again, so I didn't mind paying that much and getting "everything" since I still have access to all my Store stuff.

Also, not sure how familiar you are with steam. If you do a search for any game, for example for "sims3" then you'll get the publisher's page with all their expansions packs. BUT, collection bundles will never be found that way. Instead, you have to search for "sims3 Collection Bundle" or "your favorite game name Collection Bundle".
  • Options
    Well I did it, I downloaded the one on sale with all the exp packs, It is nice, the thing is it is like starting over. and that is not so bad. It will be fun redoing the lots. now I can do them all the way I like as I play. I checked off all the supernatural things and the sun. but I realize that I have to do that with each new game I play. but that is fine, only takes a few minutes. Looks Iike I have a lot of work ahead of me, but it will be fun. Hope it plays right
  • Options
    hey @Evalen if you are thinking about switching to steam then check out their Collection Bundle. It contains EVERYTHING except Store items, and the Katie Perry sweet treat stuff pack. https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1247/The_Sims_3_Collection/

I guess it went on sale once or twice, but the last time was over a year ago during steam's blowout August sale. I was told the bundle might not ever go on sale again, but who knows. Couldn't find my disks and really wanted to play again, so I didn't mind paying that much and getting "everything" since I still have access to all my Store stuff.

Also, not sure how familiar you are with steam. If you do a search for any game, for example for "sims3" then you'll get the publisher's page with all their expansions packs. BUT, collection bundles will never be found that way. Instead, you have to search for "sims3 Collection Bundle" or "your favorite game name Collection Bundle".

Well I did it. I downloaded the collection bundle. It is like starting over. but it will be fun, I clicked off supernatural sims and reset the moon. I now have a lot of my stuff also . thanks for the input. I love the sims 3 and like playing it better.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    So those Sims 4 toddlers sent you back to Sims 3? 😄 They're definitely a handful.

Glad you figured out a way to play what you most enjoy. ☺️
  • Options
    yaaay, glad you did; although, sorry you were having problems with your disks. I have been enjoying playing with limited content, as a way to focus on things I ignored the first go-round. And, re-doing the lots and towns, you will probably make things even better, since you had the opportunity to play with recently tweaked stuff and can now remember what you liked about the changes, vs. what you wished you'd done differently.

Another nice thing about steam, is that apparently you can still use CAW with origin. I bout died when someone said CAW is... either broken or seriously wonky with the EA app version. (I have no idea if any of that is correct, just, that's what someone said.) It would be fun to try creating a world, and at least we still have that option.
  • Options

@KevinL5275 Maybe you can help me. I downloaded the sims 3 on steam, plays good, but not all my worlds are showing. How do I get them to show up. any ideas about this.
  • Options
    I'm not sure. You downloaded them from the store and then installed them in the launcher?
  • Options
    JustSheeaaJustSheeaa Posts: 5 New Member
    @Evalen I am playing Sims 3 on Steam now also. Like Kevin said above, did you download them from the store again through your launcher? I had to install all my store items again. It took me hours to do it but worth it. Game runs better on Steam, IMO.
  • Options
    JustSheeaa wrote: »
    @Evalen I am playing Sims 3 on Steam now also. Like Kevin said above, did you download them from the store again through your launcher? I had to install all my store items again. It took me hours to do it but worth it. Game runs better on Steam, IMO.

Do you mean to download all my worlds also
  • Options
    JustSheeaa wrote: »

when I download them they say they are downloaded and are grayed out like everything that is downloaded, but when I go to my game they are not on my list. what am I doing wrong.
  • Options
    JustSheeaaJustSheeaa Posts: 5 New Member
    @Evalen , when you installed the Sims 3 off of Steam was it a clean install or did you have a different copy from Origin on your computer as well? IF you had a prior version then you need to uninstall the Origin one and reinstall all your store items now for Steam.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member

Well I did it. I downloaded the collection bundle. It is like starting over. but it will be fun, I clicked off supernatural sims and reset the moon. I now have a lot of my stuff also . thanks for the input. I love the sims 3 and like playing it better.

I just purchased the whole Sims 3 on Steam. It is downloading now. Evalen, how is it going to start over with the Sims 3?

• Options
    I did not have a origin copy
  • Options

I just purchased the whole Sims 3 on Steam. It is downloading now. Evalen, how is it going to start over with the Sims 3?

well it starts new, like when you first buy it. at least that is what it did for me.
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member
    Evalen, you have played Sims 3 in the past? I have never played Sims 3.

I transferred the Steam collection over to the EA app. It seems to be working better for me, but it just might be that I have already been using the EA app and I have not been using the steam app. The EA app is the devil that I know.

Now I see that I don't have everything. I am really confused about what is left to buy and how to buy it.

It was huge adjustment just learning how to walk and move the camera!

I have no idea what I am doing, but I placed a Sim in Appaloosa Plains. There are wild and pet horses walking around. That is interesting! And zombies were hanging around last night. I am not sure what happens next with that! There appears to be quite a bit that can be done in Sims 3 that cannot be done in Sims 4.