Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problem with Round Walls

I've just started experimenting with round walls. It turns out that making a cylindrical tower has given me all kinds of problems with room shapes, and decorating walls and floors. Has anyone else had difficulty with it? I guess I'll go back to rectangular or octagonal towers next time.
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I only know that you can't put windows tangent to the wall (in the middle), since well, the windows don't/can't conform to the shape.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Round walls aren't perfect. The team has said they plan on revisiting them in the future to fix issues but this may not happen. What we have now for round walls is likely how they will continue to function.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    There definitely are some glitches. The problem I have most is the floor or ceiling by a round wall looking puckered (yes, I me-tood the bug report).
    What specific problems are you having?
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I think the problems started because I deleted the straight walls to make room for staircases, and to fit the needs of the building. Here's my list of issues.
    • The walls created by me don't always register as full walls in terms of the room - sometimes I have to them beyond the boundaries of the curve to make them fit the grid.
    • I can't auto-fill flooring in my new rooms. I can auto-fill the curved sections but the rest has to be drawn in manually.
    • I can't always get the wall paint to go on, either via auto-fill, and sometimes not even manually.
    • Sometimes items placed on the internal floor tiles become "stuck" and are not selectable, sometimes temporarily, sometimes permanently. This has happened with journals, once or twice with food created via the Delicisio/Grand Deliciso spell (I have spellcasters living in the tower) and also to the mess made by child sims. It also happened with a painting I accidentally added to one of the walls.
    • Placement of furniture is difficult due to the curve.

I think that's everything at the moment.
  • Options
    ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    This doesn't surprise me, because round walls give exactly the same trouble in real life, unless the structure is so very large that the curvature is negligible for the purposes of furniture, wall shelves, etc.

A round house sounds cute until you try to actually furnish one, unless you want nothing at all against the walls, everything clustered in the center.

People do build an ive in dome houses but they remain a fringe thing and it does tend to mean having the only straight walls be interior ones, which makes trouble with cramped rooms unless the dome is a lot larger than dome homes normally are. They get around the cramped feeling by having open concept layouts. But then there's the issue with needing at least some straight walls, and having comparatively few windows or places to put windows.

Theoretically you could warp the entire circumference in windows but if all your plumbing, electrical, and built in storage needs to be on straight interior walls, again it turns into a dark cramped situation.

Things are straight and square and rectangular because we can't have refrigerators, bathtubs, kitchen cabinets, wall paneling and insulation, bookshelves, and beds, all custom fabricated to hug and align with a specific curve radius.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    Well, there goes my dream. I should have known it was too good to be true. Heavy sigh.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    edited January 2023
    It's not too bad. I did manage to find a few windows work well with round walls, especially the long Batuu windows. B) I've also learned to build with some straight walls with the round walls. As for the furniture, I tend to put them against the straight walls. Circle objects works perfectly against round walls, especially the Resistance/First Order playable object from Batuu. B)
  • Options
    GiggeGigge Posts: 72 Member
    Wow, I've been away for awhile I didn't know they added this feature. Neat.

Too bad they sound like kind of a pain.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    They look kind of weird at certain angles; hard to describe, but features disappear looking through them. And either they or the round walls leave weird shadows on the roof and ground at times.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    It was interesting building my round tower but I definitely wouldn't do it again.
  • Options
    RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I love building but I rarely use the round walls. They are so glitchy and inflexible to use.