Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do your Scientist Sims go to University?

Do your ‘professional’ and technician Sims need to get a degree in order to have a career in your games?
Specifically do your Scientist Sims require a qualification, in your virtual world?

Do your Scientist Sims go to University? 44 votes

Yes
38%
bshag4lvasimbsimelanorbretonsimgirl1010mystang1972loubyloulouRachel580Mirichastephanie132392viola-illyriaPhillipaErdnussSAEldarinLairamightyspritePhilSimsPhobostimeLegoGirl 17 votes
No
34%
g01denswangreydonnOnverserKathykinsKarababy52EnkiSchmidtmusteniGrumpyGlowfishAtreya33SimmingalKimmerL33tP33tNWplumboy23RySBISandyLee149 15 votes
It Depends/Other
27%
crocobauracchant86NinoosimCAPTAIN_NXR7MDianaSimsEgonVMRedShoe7HopeyStarrDaepheneFlikka_FlikkaElisetomHermioneSims 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited September 2022
    No
    in my sim universe universities are completely optional and you can have any job university or not

just personally not big fan of high education :sweat_smile: already too annoying irl
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    No
    I haven't found the University experience too enjoyable, so none of my sims are currently doing higher education.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    No
    It is not a requirement for my sims. University in sims 4 is actually quite challenging and time consuming. I enjoy it and just started another university episode with two students in a dorm but I don't feel like doing this for all sims. So in my game university degrees are totally optional.
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    Yes
    I use Kuttoe's Career Overhaul, so it's a requirement.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    No
    No, because that's what the entry levels are for. There have to be gardeners, regular lab technicians and document pushers at a research center, and some of my sims fill those roles. If they put in effort and work themselves up through the ranks, then that feels organic. University is for those that want to start at the higher tiers.

That said, one of my current Scientists isn't even a scientist in a traditional sense, he's a drug manufactorer. Science was the closest ingame career I could find.
  • Options
    viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Yes
    Yes because I'm using Kuttoe's Career Suite which changes promotion requirements for jobs and degrees - sometimes several - are required for many careers now.

But a lot of them can study at university while working, since it's only the higher levels that need the degrees.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    Yes
    I never get tired of giving my sim family members degrees. Most have multiple degrees.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    It Depends/Other
    I have a scientist in my game but he was created way before University pack so the answer to the question is no. However, I did send a sim to University to study drama of all things and she failed twice despite my best efforts and I haven't send any other sim since.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Yes
    I believe that a job like a scientist would require some college, maybe even a degree...in the sims. (The active scientist career is one that I have loved since GTW was released.) The sims who do go are doctors, judges, teachers, I like the higher tiers of jobs, that's why I send them.

Now my foodies do not go to college, neither do my musicians or my writers or comedians. I believe these careers need natural talent and college is unnecessary. The same could be said for the baristas, construction workers, lifeguards, etc.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    It Depends/Other

The narrative dictates wether my young aspiring scientists need to sign up for Uni or not. Let’s just say that 90% of the time I’m a degree cheater. I definitely want the degree but I certainly don’t want to do the work.

As for the remaining 10%…there really has to be a valid reason for my students to physically attend college (I don’t find these classes to be very exciting, professor ) but when they DO, my sims always end up joining a secret society (one that’s a little grittier than what the game offers…) and all goes haywire and supernatural in the end, just like in real life.

The students that DO go to college either study robotics or archaeology and I sometimes (always) play as the (extremely handsome) 🥸 professor who’s to bring our ambitious little studious group on a field trip to Selvadorada in search of THE Very Mysterious But Dangerous Artifact... { the secret society very much requires, or else…}.
    Some of the students come back home - deadly cursed- others, unfortunately, never return…

Without a doubt our incredibly competent intellectual locates the artifact, manages to rescue himself from all this other pooh - pooh drama and returns to campus, unscathed, as handsome as ever and just in time for the sequel - in which he sets out on yet another trip to The Jungle, this time to track down THE Mysteriously Disappeared Students.
    As the man and professor who got these poor kids into this very mess in the first place he feels extremely responsible for their well-being (in truth he just hopes to return and hook up with the Omiscan ”goddess” whom he fell in love with the last time he visited the Omiscan Royal Baths).

This particular sequel always ends on a cliff hanger: after a long and perilous journey our man eventually finds both his “goddess” and his students in Cantina El Arbol del Jaguar, completely fine and unharmed - BUT, as fate would have it- loses consciousness after ingesting too many suspicious looking Omiscan “delicacies” before he wakes up in a temple - with no shoes on and a wee drop of blood on his pinky toe - whilst being surrounded by a crowd of thirsty looking Vampires…

In short: I’ve learned from my own gameplay that a university degree looks pretty on the wall, but a machete is more useful.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It Depends/Other
    I'm planning to do every career once without a degree and once with, from some sort of completionist compulsion. So unless there's no degree that will do anything for the career whatsoever I will eventually have someone get a degree for it.
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,970 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    I believe that a job like a scientist would require some college, maybe even a degree...in the sims. (The active scientist career is one that I have loved since GTW was released.) The sims who do go are doctors, judges, teachers, I like the higher tiers of jobs, that's why I send them.

Now my foodies do not go to college, neither do my musicians or my writers or comedians. I believe these careers need natural talent and college is unnecessary. The same could be said for the baristas, construction workers, lifeguards, etc.

This is interesting. I’ve had two chefs go to university, mainly because I wanted to experience the Culinary Arts degree and also get the degree-associated salary benefits. But I can see not putting chefs through university. Chefs do usually go to some kind of culinary school IRL though, so maybe in the future I could simulate that in some way.
    I also understand about musicians/writers/comedians, but I know that many IRL go to university.

But I guess it’s down to personal choice. I’m not a major “realism” player with my game, I usually send my Sims to university for the salary benefits. Perhaps I could have it be a “personal choice” thing, so some budding writers may want to go to university (for the experience, say) and others might not.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 792 Member
    It Depends/Other
    It depends on whether I want to spend a lot of time on those sims to send them to college or not. When I send them straight to work, anyway, I tend to imagine that they are studying in parallel with the first levels of that career. I do this for scientists, doctors, lawyers, engineers...
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*