Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wants & Fears Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    SlackerSlacker Posts: 3,000 Member
    Hi group. Since i pretty much stopped playing for awhile, even with the fear blocker mod i dont really feel safe, and as i am reading folks experiences, i remembered mine and id figure its my turn to rant lol.... When i first encountered sentiments last year. It scrapped my first family of sims that i had played for 6 months. And then soon after, i purchased Snowy Escape and the mountain climb did not work (i got the weird picture i couldnt select it), and i had to go thru pages and pages of links to find out the mountain climb expedition will bug on an existing save. So I spent the next three days reloading all my lots onto a new save, all the households i play... went on to the top of the mountain and then.. ok i went to the top of the mountain big deal ! So i never played the same after that, with bugs etc, now i just delete and reload the sim whenever needed, ever since that sentiments crap scrapped a few relationships. And the neighbourhood stories omg... the lifestyles... all thats like half developped, and too restrictive. Just like the freelancer jobs im sorta left on my apetite after you done a couple, which are really rich and well thought out, but its like all they're features that youd think are going to expand in future updates but no.... we like spaghetti i guess :D Now the dang fears just broke me, i mean i just went to read more about it, and i repsect those that see the use of them, but i am definetly on the side of no fear after reading this https://www.thegamer.com/the-sims-4-wants-and-fears-system-explained/ basically i read here that not only its an attempt at recreating something that existed in Sims 2 (which i find pointless tbh, why try to redo somethings been done + what about those that never played sims 2 and dont care for past games) ! And it is specified that the fear will incapacitate sims totally. Hopefully the mod will keep all fears outta my game, whenever i play it again !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,777 Member
    edited September 2022
    Jade47 wrote: »
    Making a simple "off" option for wants and fears to work is starting to seem like some magical art or rocket science. At most I can tolerate what a nuisance it is for about an hour. On the plus side of things it means I'm totally focused on building, hopefully by the time I finish my Willow Creek rebuild the devs might actually have sorted it, but I won't stake money on it.

Before I began playing my game this morning, I took the time to do a game repair. I also decided to roll back a save to the end of Sunday night, as it turned out. This gives the kids another chance at their first day in high school, which didn't fair too well. However, my need was to remove a written song, from the wrong instrument. I used the Options to get into gameplay, clicked off the Wants & Fears, hit the apply button, and I have to say, it's still off. The kids had their first day of school (and of course I followed them, else what is the point?) and it's now the beginning of the second day. Still no W & Fs to be seen.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    The fears/wants toggling itself back on is NOT fixed. I pulled my TS4 folder to my desktop, did the patch, repaired my game, generated a new TS4 folder. Dragged my save/mods/tray into the new folder and then loaded the game. The game that I had just turned off this stupid annoying "feature". It's back on. The stupid thing is back on.

GAH!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to make an entirely new save. That is insane.

Try a game repair.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    CarpeNocheSimsCarpeNocheSims Posts: 158 Member
    @GalacticGal Did that, it's part of my routine whenever anything new happens (patch or content). Are you saying that yours is staying off? What sort of hoodoo witchcraft are you using and can you share it?
  • Options
    @GalacticGal Did that, it's part of my routine whenever anything new happens (patch or content). Are you saying that yours is staying off? What sort of hoodoo witchcraft are you using and can you share it?

I just came back here to say I stand corrected. I guess following your Teens to school isn't the same as going to another lot! I had Erik stop by his girlfriend's house after school so that he could do a Promposal. I took her into CAS right away, so I could plan her outfit, and hopefully I'll be able to dress him in something that blends well with her gown. After she came out of CAS, I noticed that switched households on me. And, she had a couple of Wants (one of which was to woohoo with Erik, down girl). I quickly shut them off in that household, but when I traveled back to his household, the Wants were on again. Erik's want was to chat with his crush. Hm. Guess she feels more strongly about things, than he does. LOL I turned them off in the main household, again, too.

So, it's NOT fixed. My bad for thinking following the Teens to class was the same as traveling to another lot. IT ISN'T. Don't be fooled as I was. So very sorry to get people's hopes up.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Guess I will be waiting a while longer before I get back into my game. Was thinking of trying it but I definitely do not want the wants and fears in my game.
  • Options
    Guess I will be waiting a while longer before I get back into my game. Was thinking of trying it but I definitely do not want the wants and fears in my game.

I am going to look for a mod that can neutralize this problem.
  • Options

https://modthesims.info/d/670172/sims-get-no-fears.html
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,028 Member
    CrazyFrog wrote: »

I take it that one is working out well for you? I haven't installed it yet because the trio of mods I have are at least keeping fears away and adding a few interesting wants.
  • Options

It doesn't stop wants. The wants are just as annoying if not more.

Has anybody made one to turn off wants?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Yeah.. so far so good !

(edit:) I really didnt, see any wants... they dont show up or i dunno ! Works for me :smile:
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,028 Member
    @CrazyFrog That's good to hear. I have it around as Plan B.
  • Options
    Yeah.. so far so good !

(edit:) I really didnt, see any wants... they dont show up or i dunno ! Works for me :smile:

I have the mod. Wants are still showing up and I keep having to turn it off. It did get rid of fears but not wants. I mean, it's in the name of the mod lol. I'm going to have to dig around and see if anybody has made something to turn off both fears and wants.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,459 Member
    edited September 2022
    I really hope we hear ANYTHING about what they're planning to do with Wants & Fears. They can't just drop it like this in its current form. A mix of game-breaking bugs as well as illogical game design decisions has made this very disappointing.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    edited September 2022
    At this point I’m just hoping the option to turn off the wants and fears can be fixed soon. Feature is a little better than whims, but when a sim that is in happy relationship gets the wants to break up despite tons of great sentiments (enamored one for example), I can’t take it seriously. It’s broken. If I get want that I hate or find ridiculous I turn them off and back on, they reset completely that way. Traveling is still turning system on by itself.

I’m not an expert, but I would see it logical if the need to break up occur after fight or argument or at least unpleasant conversation.
  • Options
    Yeah.. so far so good !

I have the mod. Wants are still showing up and I keep having to turn it off. It did get rid of fears but not wants. I mean, it's in the name of the mod lol. I'm going to have to dig around and see if anybody has made something to turn off both fears and wants.

yeah.. well its enough for me, i mean... its alot of programming and it takes away screentime at some point i had to call it quits i mean, im here spending a week trying to find a mod to block a new feature of the game that renders my characters unplayable ! After i spent 2 days feeding potion to my sims then i felt quite stupid ! Not only anxious, so i solider on and find this mod... and the wants i dont even know what impact they have on the game and frankly idc anymore i gave up. Why you have to keep turning em off i dont understand, there is one switch for wants and fears, you need to click it off only once ! And that click just makes em not display so thats why i didnt see any wants... and so far the fears have not plagued any of my sims but i played not even an hour this week. And when trying to find a mod to prevent gross leg hair on townie sims i found that mod that separates into 6 mods... so i need 6 mods to prevent hair from the townies ? Thats alot of code breaking risk, i am fearful that they might conflict with mods i already have... i used to be into it but now i dont have the patience nor the concentration to do programming of any sort.
  • Options
    ...And when trying to find a mod to prevent gross leg hair on townie sims i found that mod that separates into 6 mods... so i need 6 mods to prevent hair from the townies ? Thats alot of code breaking risk, i am fearful that they might conflict with mods i already have... i used to be into it but now i dont have the patience nor the concentration to do programming of any sort.

I know what mod you're talking about, she makes great mods and is really quick to update. You'll be safe using any of her mods. It's not really needed if you're willing to go into CAS and disable hair growth/remove hair on all your sims. Also, use MCCC and set it to 100% use sims from your tray. Then make enough sims to go in your tray for the game to pull from, I never have issues with randomly generated sims because I made them all.

I don't have an easy work around for the wants/fears refusing to stay off. I went over to Redditt (I feel gross after being there lol) and there opinion is that this is a game feature and they're never going to fix it. That you have to keep toggling it on and then back off every single time it pops back up. To paraphrase somebody over there "It only takes a couple of seconds, I don't understand the big fuss". Seriously? Maybe because I clicked it off and it shows that it's off and yet there they are....hovering over my sims face and taking up my screen view. I hate a cluttered screen, it's why I didn't like whims either.
  • Options
    yeah.. cool, um no doubt and im happy to have found 83Bienchen site, its the best modders site i seen so far. But i dont understand how to update mods...so i dont really want to have 6 more ! Even though i took the one for the thrift store, because thats a problem i found from the get go, townies fashions ! lol but i mean that fear thing is just another one of those things that adds up to the unpleasantness of playing this game, when it becomes a job, its no longer fun ! ...so yah i thought its implemented into the core, its a core change they're not gonna come back on that, we're stuck with wants and fears. So again great thanks to the modders, coders and developpers community for keeping the spirits high !

And, MCCC.... thats a can of worms i will not even think about opening, just thinking of adding another layer gimme anxiety ! i read a little bit in the thread re that topic to see if i could get into using it and im very happy i dont have that to manage, well i couldnt really. All the jibber jabber about update and broken mods etc. I have CC, then i learned you had to update them and ive stop adding some.I have dozen trais and careers and that it, if i need to... i go back vanilla the only thing all my sims will be naked ! lol
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,459 Member
    Where would I know your profile picture from, @83bienchen ? It looks so familiar.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Hey, sorry to come back like this but i been meaning to ask the community if anyone has got a trick to manage the personal library, cause when im in build mode its taking forever to save lots, i think i really have too many. But deleting lots one by one is pretty insane so i was wondering, can i delete files in the tray based on dates ?
  • Options
    Hey, sorry to come back like this but i been meaning to ask the community if anyone has got a trick to manage the personal library, cause when im in build mode its taking forever to save lots, i think i really have too many. But deleting lots one by one is pretty insane so i was wondering, can i delete files in the tray based on dates ?

You mean your tray? What I do is use the tray importer and then save them to a folder outside my game. Then I delete everything in my tray. Make sure you have saved everything before doing that, you don't want to lose your tray items. My folders are set up by worlds. So all my lots for say Willow Creek are in a folder with that name and zipped (the tray importer zips the files).
  • Options
    Yeah ! Cool ty :smiley:@CarpeNocheSims
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited September 2022
    Just recently started playing again and I also have to agree that Wants and Fears are poorly implemented. I play on a huge household and like, three Sims simultaneously got fear of a dead-end jobs when they returned from work (all three of them are literally at the top of their careers, just getting bonuses), two or more got fear of unfulfilled dreams, and all happened extremely quickly. I instantly got mods that just outright removed those two. Then fear of fire happened, which caused one of my Sims who used to be an excellent cook accidentally setting a food on fire he was cooking for the first time in his life, and he could never extinguish a fire by himself because many other Sims instantaneously reacted to it and put out the fire before he could, and the random fires cause a major disruption in my game, causing everything to grind to a screeching halt. So I also got a mod that got rid of that as well.

I don't mind the fear of being cheated on fear, but I started to pay attention after a boyfriend got it yet again like three days or less later, which I just dealt with by having his girlfriend randomly argue to him about politics when he brought it up again, which then hilariously gave him a fear of being judged on, and then I set off one despised Sim to flirt with her and him, they both rejected from him, and then got angry at other for cheating. I think fear of being judged on only occurs to Sims you like, because I have one mean Sim in the lot that everyone hates and he insults and fights everyone repeatedly and no one got that fear from interacting with him, so funny how that one is actually tuned properly.

That is funny but these types of incidents would probably get tiring in the long term, so I just got a mod that tuned it.

Aging is turned off but they still got fear of death. People did complain about that but you could die from other means, such as emotions, fire, drowning, etc so it's not that weird and pretty realistic to still be scared of it even with aging turned off. How you're supposed to deal with it is weird, though, since the fear assumes that old age is the only way you can die from it and how you deal with it is to talk to ghosts and elders.

The wants are okay. They're very generic (listen to this music because I have a bazillion radios in my house, make something great because you're a perfectionist...ummmmmm be friends with this character even though they abhor each other and are enemies) and not much different than whims but at least they aren't intrusive. That "break up with your loved partner + bff" want can absolutely go however.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I just stumbled upon something that might help all of us out a bit. I use the potions under the rewards tab. I wanted to remove the Workaholic Trait from my Sim. As I was scrolling through to find the right potion, I discovered there are potions to remove Fear and one to reset their Wants. Until they give us a REAL way to turn off the Wants & Fears, we could use the potions to help remove ones we really can't abide. Just thought I'd share.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    Where would I know your profile picture from, @83bienchen ? It looks so familiar.

It's from the time before toddlers became more that just mere speculation, from a painting a member of the team had been gifted with their child as a Sim toddler. I never changed it as I was so glad we got toddlers. The only reason I'd change it for would bei horses or real babies in TS4.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top