Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Solid State Hard Drive

Does anyone playing TS3 have a SSD in their computer?

Comments

• Options
    AlyxMSAlyxMS Posts: 22 Member
    I don't have my Sims 3 game on my SSD but my HDD is SSD accelerated.
    The sims do run whole lot better and loads 2-3 times faster than my previous laptop which had a 7200RPM 320GB HDD,

Running it on a real SSD would be presumably even better than running it on a accelerated HDD.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    AlyxMS wrote: »
    I don't have my Sims 3 game on my SSD but my HDD is SSD accelerated.<br />
    The sims do run whole lot better and loads 2-3 times faster than my previous laptop which had a 7200RPM 320GB HDD,<br />
    <br />
    Running it on a real SSD would be presumably even better than running it on a accelerated HDD.

Thank you, that was helpful.

Anyone else using SSD please comment also.
  • Options
    Jazz-Hands-OKJazz-Hands-OK Posts: 144 Member
    Switched to SSDs a while ago and would never touch a Click Click Cough Die drive ever again. The boot up time is instantaneous and everything seems to run so much smoother. There is also no longer the constant worry if this is the day you kiss all you unbacked up data (from lack of storage room) goodbye.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    I've had an SSD for some time now. It seemed to make things slightly faster first, but unfortunately the rest of my computer was getting old. Then I upgraded my graphics card, which helped a little, but only, when I upgraded the rest of my computer everything's really working well now.

So, it's hard for me to say how much effect would an SSD have if I was only now getting it, when even the rest of my computer is faster.
    01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    I have a SSD also. I wouldn't want to go back to a hard drive.
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    My SSD has increased the load time of the O/S to 15 seconds.

It makes the Sims3 load in about half the time. It still takes too long but it's better than what it was.

An SSD is awesome. Newegg had a sale and I got a Samsung 500GB for only $169.

What you want is to put your O/S and applications (games, MS Excel etc) on the SSD and keep a regular hard drive for your data.

If your thinking about it, you won't be sorry. The lowest size I'd get is 240/250gb if you own all the Sims3 games and EPs.

If you're just worried about Sims 3, a good graphics card is where you want to look. In the old site (which is read only now), there are several threads about which graphic cards to get.

Also ErrorTrap and Overwatch, two mods from NRAAS, will make a world of difference in your game for lag.
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Chimark wrote: »
    My SSD has increased the load time of the O/S to 15 seconds.

It makes the Sims3 load in about half the time. It still takes too long but it's better than what it was.

An SSD is awesome. Newegg had a sale and I got a Samsung 500GB for only $169.

What you want is to put your O/S and applications (games, MS Excel etc) on the SSD and keep a regular hard drive for your data.

If your thinking about it, you won't be sorry. The lowest size I'd get is 240/250gb if you own all the Sims3 games and EPs.

If you're just worried about Sims 3, a good graphics card is where you want to look. In the old site (which is read only now), there are several threads about which graphic cards to get.

Also ErrorTrap and Overwatch, two mods from NRAAS, will make a world of difference in your game for lag.

I have a 2 year old Alienware laptop and my hubby says I have one of the best graphics cards there is (that's why he got me this laptop). I loved playing TS3, but the load times (about 5-8 minutes) and hick ups were making me crazy. I now have both TS3 and 4 on my laptop and only play 4 right now until I get the SSD.

Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    I've had one for about a year and I like it.