Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 9,216 Member
    edited March 6
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    @EA_Cade Thanks for doing all the checking about everything, including the "like system," and just setting up this whole thing to go smoothly with great posts and information on this thread and behind the scenes B)!

I do my best! Thank you all for being open to change, and for the trust you've placed in us.

A lot of us have been here for years and you and the rest of the team have given us every reason over that time to place our trust in you, that you will always do your best. It isn't always easy, pretty, or popular, but that's true of everything in life. Thank you @EA_Cade, @EA_Solaire, @EA_Cath, and all the rest that I didn't name! You all make this place special and fun.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,735 Member
    @EA_Cade Thanks for doing all the checking about everything, including the "like system," and just setting up this whole thing to go smoothly with great posts and information on this thread and behind the scenes B)!

I do my best! Thank you all for being open to change, and for the trust you've placed in us.

Thankyou for all that you and all the EA people are doing to make this move to the new forums go as smoothly as can be @EA_Cade :) You have been reassuring everyone, providing lots of informative information, and been very helpful with the questions that simmers have had. Thankyou :)
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,715 Member
    Gosh I am so very unprepared.
    Procrastinating , as always, huh? B)

Here was me thinking it’s only February the 11th. I truly believed I had all the time in the world. I blame @February11.
    :D
    I think I'll be happy now to revert to my old username when we go!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,435 Member
    I think I've checked...I'll double-check again to make sure that my e-mail at AHQ matches with the one that I use here. But I'm getting up there and turning into a troglodyte so I'm not sure if everything is going to go smoothly (at least for me...)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,181 Member
    @February11 I'm so glad that made you feel better about using Jayel-1 :) on the new forum, but keep your signature when we can add them, maybe? B)
    4kkjdXo.png

• Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,715 Member
    @February11 I'm so glad that made you feel better about using Jayel-1 :) on the new forum, but keep your signature when we can add them, maybe? B)

Yes. If we can have signatures on the new forum, I'll do it in reverse so people know who I was.
    You gave me a good laugh with your comment!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    GreylingGreyling Posts: 164 Member
    edited March 7
    crinrict wrote: »
    Greyling wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    @EA_Cade
    My user name on AHQ is an old one I haven't used in years (Jayel-1) I went in to change it to February11 it told me February11 was already registered. Rosemow mentioned that maybe another poster has used February11 but in the bottom part where it says "game specific identities" it says The Sims - February 11
    So I can't understand why I can't change it there.
    But, the question is, when the new EA forum gets up and running and everything is transferred, will I be Jayel-1 or February11?

Looks like February11 is already in use as an EA ID by another user I'm afraid, so assuming you have both the AHQ and Forums.TheSims logins as the same email address your content would migrate under the name Jayel-1.

Just a couple of follow up questions pertaining to one’s username already being in use by someone else on AHQ:

1) If linking the account here and the one on AHQ, will our username on any posts we have originally made here that get transferred to the new forum then appear with the username we have on AHQ?

2) If we, due to the fact that we are unable to change the username on AHQ to the one we have here, choose not to link the accounts, will any posts we have made on threads that carry over to the new forums then be deleted or will the posts themselves appear but with the “user deleted” instead of a username?

3) Will the new forums be completely connected to AHQ and our login there or will we be able to create a new account just on the new forums when they’re up without linking it with our AHQ account, thereby enabling us to continue using our current username?

1. The one at AHQ. AHQ uses your EA-ID and so does the new forum. The new forum will use your EA-ID
    2. From what I've read here and at the German forum, they will be deleted (but things might change, who knows)
    3. I'm guessing you could just make a new EA account with no games (or download some free ones on that) and then use that at the new forum.

Thank you for trying to answer my questions, however, in relation to #3 it doesn’t quite seem to have been answered in full. So attempting to rephrase: Will we only be able to login to the new forums with an EA account or will they have a separate option like the current forums? Because I know that my username here on these forums is already being used by someone else on AHQ, but seeing as it has been my go to handle for nearly 20 years, I care a lot more about being able to preserve that than I do about transferring any posts I’ve made here.
    Oh, and no need to suggest that I simply add a suffix 😉
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,775 Member
    Only EA would know for sure but from what I understand, the new forum is tied to an EA-ID from just like AHQ is. If someone at AHQ already has your username, you most probably won't be able to make a new account with that specific name. .. but I let Cade answer that for sure (but maybe he doesn't know yet either)
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,465 EA Community Manager
    February11 wrote: »
    @EA_Cade
    My user name on AHQ is an old one I haven't used in years (Jayel-1) I went in to change it to February11 it told me February11 was already registered. Rosemow mentioned that maybe another poster has used February11 but in the bottom part where it says "game specific identities" it says The Sims - February 11
    So I can't understand why I can't change it there.
    But, the question is, when the new EA forum gets up and running and everything is transferred, will I be Jayel-1 or February11?

Looks like February11 is already in use as an EA ID by another user I'm afraid, so assuming you have both the AHQ and Forums.TheSims logins as the same email address your content would migrate under the name Jayel-1.

Just a couple of follow up questions pertaining to one’s username already being in use by someone else on AHQ:

1) If linking the account here and the one on AHQ, will our username on any posts we have originally made here that get transferred to the new forum then appear with the username we have on AHQ?

2) If we, due to the fact that we are unable to change the username on AHQ to the one we have here, choose not to link the accounts, will any posts we have made on threads that carry over to the new forums then be deleted or will the posts themselves appear but with the “user deleted” instead of a username?

3) Will the new forums be completely connected to AHQ and our login there or will we be able to create a new account just on the new forums when they’re up without linking it with our AHQ account, thereby enabling us to continue using our current username?

1. The one at AHQ. AHQ uses your EA-ID and so does the new forum. The new forum will use your EA-ID
    2. From what I've read here and at the German forum, they will be deleted (but things might change, who knows)
    3. I'm guessing you could just make a new EA account with no games (or download some free ones on that) and then use that at the new forum.

Thank you for trying to answer my questions, however, in relation to #3 it doesn’t quite seem to have been answered in full. So attempting to rephrase: Will we only be able to login to the new forums with an EA account or will they have a separate option like the current forums? Because I know that my username here on these forums is already being used by someone else on AHQ, but seeing as it has been my go to handle for nearly 20 years, I care a lot more about being able to preserve that than I do about transferring any posts I’ve made here.
    Oh, and no need to suggest that I simply add a suffix 😉
    Only EA would know for sure but from what I understand, the new forum is tied to an EA-ID from just like AHQ is. If someone at AHQ already has your username, you most probably won't be able to make a new account with that specific name. .. but I let Cade answer that for sure (but maybe he doesn't know yet either)

EA forums will use the same system that Answers HQ uses currently, when you post there you're logged in as the account you play on.

Having multiple forum accounts is against our rules for obvious reasons. Also if you were to take part in any playtesting or closed beta feedback sessions the feedback forums for those are limited to the account with access to the game, so you wouldn't be able to share any feedback to the teams.

Short answer: Change your name on Answers HQ to something you like, having more than one forum account will get tricky quickly.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    @EA_Cade I have another question about the new forum and the layout. Will text display in a narrow window in the center of the page like AHQ or will it be laid out like here where it takes up more of screen side to side?
  • Options
    @EA_Cade I have another question about the new forum and the layout. Will text display in a narrow window in the center of the page like AHQ or will it be laid out like here where it takes up more of screen side to side?

I haven't seen the full mock ups yet, stay tuned :)
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    @February11 --- yes "in reverse" haha B)! I'm glad I made you laugh :D!
    4kkjdXo.png

• Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,963 Member
    edited March 7
    Welp, today I discovered that these forums have a character limit. Yup, I got this message.
    Body is 129474 characters too long.

Oh boy... So that's the end of this saga. A disappointing one at that...

Well, maybe I'd try splitting it up into separate posts or something...

What will be the character limit on the new forums?
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    @EgonVM that must have either been mega long post or then theres typo somewhere in your formatting although i tend to get "body is too short" with my typos
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Welp, today I discovered that these forums have a character limit. Yup, I got this message.

Did you try and post War and Peace??!

I'll look into the post limit.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

That's astonishing.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    And I thought the stories I wrote were long.😲
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Very well, after splitting up the posts and waiting behind 3 spam blocks, I finally got it done before the No-Transfer line!
    Here it is: My Ultimate NPC Guide

It took a lot of work and one discovery on the character limit, but I got it done! Oeh, that was a lot, but yeah, I got it done...

Did you try and post War and Peace??!

I'll look into the post limit.

No, but nice alternative name to it!
    Simmingal wrote: »
    @EgonVM that must have either been mega long post or then theres typo somewhere in your formatting although i tend to get "body is too short" with my typos

It's a mega long post. A meeeeeega long post. I had to split it up due to this.

Though it turns out that you must include things outside spoilers. So for example:
    This is a valid post:
    Something something:
    Something something
    And this isn't a valid post:
    Something Something

So yeah...

And I thought the stories I wrote were long.😲

I see what you mean...
    It seems like robotically repeating info and a lot of spoilers and quotes can accelerate it...

That's astonishing.

:)
    I have an odd feeling that this "silly little prank" might have slowed down the forums (at least for me). If you are affected by it, sorry. :#
  • Options
    @EgonVM I didn't notice the forums behaving badly.🙂
  • Options

Great. It might be on my internet connection though or after all those Spam Block attacks I had...

Don't make more than 3 posts in less than 120 seconds... That's the lesson from Spam Blocks.
  • Options

Great. It might be on my internet connection though or after all those Spam Block attacks I had...

Don't make more than 3 posts in less than 120 seconds... That's the lesson from Spam Blocks.

Guilty!😆
  • Options
    edited March 7

Guilty!😆

Noooooo!!!!!

Anyway, another question on formating in the new forums.

Do we have HTML formatting <thing> or BBCode formatting [thing] in the new forums?
  • Options
    @EgonVM HTML formatting :)
    4kkjdXo.png

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,165 Member
    edited March 8
    Anyway, another question on formating in the new forums.

Do we have HTML formatting <thing> or BBCode formatting [thing] in the new forums?

No BBCode, Farewell my love BBCode

New forums will have Rich Text Markdown
    and possibly HTML option (?)

unless thats just something my brain conjured out of thin air summoning @EA_Cade to confirm
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free