The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CZ's Guide to Possible Seasons Bandages/Minor Fixes

Comments

• Options
    farrahrulezd00dfarrahrulezd00d Posts: 27 New Member
    edited November 2012
    i'm actually interested in getting bootcamp on my mac. i have plenty of room to spare. can anyone guide me on this?

oh, my game has only crashed once since my last post. it was during a plan outfit CAS. other than that, i've been getting a good 4 hours of game play a day without crashing.
  • Options
    Giancarlo66Giancarlo66 Posts: 30
    edited November 2012
    i'm actually interested in getting bootcamp on my mac. i have plenty of room to spare. can anyone guide me on this?

You should find anything you need here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

If not just ask when you get stuck.
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    BlueBellFlora did an awesome post on this as well: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/579888.page

But like Giancarlo66 stated, we'll help you with any questions you have :)
  • Options
    LadyRiseLadyRise Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    I tried to download and install Error trap and Overwatch mods and they said I had to have 7 zip. Unfortunately, 7zip says it is not for my computor-IMAC OS X 10.6.8. I find this whole process very intimidating but am willing to soldier on if someone is willing to help me. Obviously, EA is Not willing.

Thanx
  • Options
    CreepiesCreepies Posts: 8 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I wish I could play on Bootcamp but I've bought so many digital EP'S that my game on Windows would be so boring. :x
  • Options
    256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    edited November 2012
    *bumpbump* because I think this is really useful to people that have seasons and/or issues with the game. And I want to know the real solution before getting seasons myself.
  • Options
    emmajaneemmaemmajaneemma Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Hi, I have a question about the superpatcher. Can I install that now on my game - I have everything except seasons-, or should I do a complete uninstall and then reinstall using it?

I would really like to just do the superpatcher and the xquartz thing and see how my game runs with that before I install seasons, and then if that all fails, do the complete uninstal.

Thanks.
  • Options
    farrahrulezd00dfarrahrulezd00d Posts: 27 New Member
    edited November 2012
    thanks giancarlo66 and ashjack20!! i'll start working on getting it up and running on my mac in the next few days.
  • Options
    BethieBethie Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2012
    2011 / 15" MBP / Mountain Lion 10.8.2 / 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor/ 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR 3 Memory

Tried the suggested - uninstalled, deleted everything last thing related to the game - reinstalled, no custom content, super patch and XQuartz but sadly I am still only getting 10 min before the game crashes.

So sad we sink so much money into a game that will work and then a week later a patch/game/update comes out that causes everything to longer work. I bought Diesel but never install it because it is a dead guarantee to crash the game for me :(
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    LadyRise wrote:
    I tried to download and install Error trap and Overwatch mods and they said I had to have 7 zip. Unfortunately, 7zip says it is not for my computor-IMAC OS X 10.6.8. I find this whole process very intimidating but am willing to soldier on if someone is willing to help me. Obviously, EA is Not willing.

Thanx

As for decompressing software for Mac, I use KeKa: http://www.kekaosx.com/en/
    Or, Zipeg is a nice program as well for Mac: http://www.zipeg.com/

Those should both work for 10.6.8!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Hi, I have a question about the superpatcher. Can I install that now on my game - I have everything except seasons-, or should I do a complete uninstall and then reinstall using it?

I would really like to just do the superpatcher and the xquartz thing and see how my game runs with that before I install seasons, and then if that all fails, do the complete uninstal.

Thanks.

It is best to uninstall everything if you are going to do the Superpatcher and Xquartz. I did that with mine and it's been working great so far.

However, I do have a question: Are you currently patched with 1.42 or 1.38? If you are already patched with 1.42, it will not process the Superpatch and it may be best for you to uninstall and start from scratch. If not, then you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Options
    PEECHANPEECHAN Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Just to say thanks to CZ for recommending xQuartz -- I've recently installed it and it's really REALLY helped!

I'd also like to share something else that I've been experimenting to prolong gameplay on my iMac.
    I've been playing in windowed mode, and running 3 other apps alongside to maintain the machine's performance (atMonitor, smcFanControl, MemoryFreer). These apps help me to monitor the Mac's temperature, RAM usage, and most importantly of all, monitor live memory usage. I think these, together with xQuartz, plus very careful weeding of CC/Store Content/Mods, have helped me play continuously.
    In particular, MemoryFreer helps me to anticipate a crash, so I'd save and restart the game -- once I see that the game is using close to 4GB memory in spite of my attempts to shrink inactive memory in the system, I would save and restart the game.
    After installing xQuartz, the game can still use beyond 4GB memory without problems, which translates to at least 3-hour gameplay!
    The only issue is that I have to keep checking my apps while gaming, something like performing emergency surgery on my Mac every time I play the Sims.
    It is unacceptable, but in times like this, there isn't much choice other than taking on a "mistress" i.e. Boot Camping With Windoze.
  • Options
    alyncalync Posts: 32
    edited November 2012
    Based on all the problems I've had in the past with adding new EP's, I decided that this time around I would do a clean uninstall and reinstall of the games (I also used bluebell's guide on FULLY removing sims software... amazing how much stuff remains even though you've uninstalled). Before I did that, I ran all the disk utility crap. I did this in preparation for getting seasons and didn't play at all until I got the game.

I got seasons a few days after everyone was complaining about having problems. Call me crazy. I had to have it. With suggestions from the forum, I also opted not to add any of my stuff packs and I didn't install world adventures. I simply don't take advantage of it enough to make it meaningful. I'm considering doing the same with pets since I actually find the fact that their sleep cycles won't sync up with my sims to be super annoying.

I already play with lower settings because I honestly can't tell the difference. Maybe that's just from not being used to playing with high settings, but it still looks great to me. I also don't play with memories. I never look at those **** scrapbooks and I really don't need to reminisce about every time my sims have woohooed. (This probably helps with error 12, keep reading)

Even though I did updates as I went, I still used the superpatcher. I did this after reading the forum that it helped. I would agree that it has.

I don't use ANY cc. Ever. I'm afraid of it. I hate how it makes my game run.

I have errortrap and overwatch mods. I save every time my sims sleep, right after errortrap does it's job. I also save before and after anyone changes appearance or outfits, or if I go into build/buy mode, just to be safe. I have been having crashing in CAS, but not every time I use it. The most annoying error to me is the error 12, but after reading the internet it appears that error 12 comes from save files. When I've been doing so much saving from being worried about game crashes, I see a lot more error 12 and become unable to save. When that happens, I don't keep playing! I turn off the game, remove the world files that end with .bad, delete cache, and restart the game. To avoid error 12 issues, I set an alarm for 2 hours and quit the game, then start it back up again after deleting cache, ets.

Doing all of these things has allowed me to play for up to 4 hours without errors. Since I am saving often, I don't really lose a lot of gameplay time.

Seeing this I've just installed xquartz, now that I understand it better, and I'll let you know what I see.

It SUCKS that this is happening and that we can't just be enjoying the games we've spent so much time and money on, but it's really nice to have all of you simmers around to help me enjoy my game while we wait for a fix. All of the things I am doing that have helped my game run as smooth as possibly right now is because of things I've read collectively through the forum over the last few years, so thanks!
  • Options
    StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just want to update on my progress:

I installed the XQuartz and the superpatch since my game was still freezing/ crashing after my complete reinstall. The sad thing is, that even though i follow all the steps, clean all my cashes, and transfergamer files before each game. + turn of all the online settings etc. It still crash or freeze. :cry:

The game looks amazing, no lags or any gameplay seems troubled (although there may be lots of bugs i haven't discovered yet, since my game break before i really get to try much), but no matter what im doing in my game; build/buy, CAS or play-mode, it just crash or freeze suddenly and i can only force quit, to get out of it.

So fare I just keep reopening the game when it happens, hoping that it will "learn" to play without crash/freeze.
    It have been seconds or minutes before it happened, sometimes 10 minutes, but i just had almost 30 min. gameplay without using cheats or doing any building etc. So maybe its going the right way, but Im not sure that next time it want happen within minutes again, and im so tired of it!

Im stuck and have no more ideas, anyone else having any good ideas what to try next?
  • Options
    elenisav2elenisav2 Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm on a mid 2009 iMac, running OS X 10.6.8. I installed Seasons yesterday, after having to uninstall/reinstall everything. I still get the 'exception raised' and then the game just quits by itself. That's after 5-10 minutes, regardless if it's in CAS or in a world. I was also playing in a new world/new save with no mods or CC first. Then I added MasterController, Overwatch and Errortrap. Got the same error.

After that I installed XQuartz and the Superpatcher (they both finished installing with no problems), but I am still getting the 'exception raised' error and game quitting by itself.

The reinstallation process took about 3 hours, and I now have all the EPs except Pets and Showtime installed (though I have bought them). I think we need a patch soon, My game was running fine after installing Supernatural and now I can't even play.
  • Options
    Selene_xxSelene_xx Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2012
    Just a quick question about XQuartz. I downloaded it no problem and opened it up, it prompted me to log out and log in again and I played my game. It was fine. However now that the game is already installed, and this will sound like a very stupid question, how to I get XQuartz to run again? When I double click the application all I get is a window pop up (named xterm) but there is no prompt to log out/log in again. Am I doing something wrong or should I trust that the application os doing it's job?
  • Options
    joolieajooliea Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited December 2012
    3. Now that you've done that, try installing this:http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.7.4. It's a program designed to help the Cider program. Long story short, Cider is what translates a PC game, aka the Sims, into a game playable onto a Mac. The reason we get so many crashes, especially in CAS, is because the Cider is woefully inadequate and fails, causing the game to crash. I have it and it's really helped give me some extra time in CAS and Build/Buy.

Okay, I really really need to know...

What does X11 have to do with Cider? Is Cider actually an app that runs in the X Windowing System? Because that would BLOW MY MIND. That would be TWO layers of emulation (I know, not the best term for it, forgive me) and explain why The Sims runs like a pile of excrement even when it's running at all.

But if that were the case, wouldn't Mountain Lion users have to go out of their way to install XQuartz/X11 in order to run The Sims? Or does The Sims installer application automatically install X11 if it's not already installed? X11 comes pre-installed on 10.5/10.6/10.7, but not 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

I mean, I know that Cider is a fork of WINE, but that forked off like a decade ago, and Cider is meant to be a wrapper written natively for Mac OS on Intel. I was under the impression it should not be using the X Windowing System!

If it does, I have no words for the level of confrakulation going on here.
  • Options
    MasqueradeDiva3MasqueradeDiva3 Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2012
    Creepies wrote:
    I wish I could play on Bootcamp but I've bought so many digital EP'S that my game on Windows would be so boring. :x

Yeah half of my EPs were downloaded just for Mac....so Bootcamp isnt really an option for me unless I save up and buy those games which I really don't want to have to do......Then I have to buy WIndows for my computer....ugh!
  • Options
    PearyfooaPearyfooa Posts: 334 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm a bit afraid to dl xquartz because from the reviews I've read on this app, it may only worsen the problem. I'm no tech geek and have no idea what I'm doing with this app. So far I've clean un-installed the base game and just installed the super patcher.
  • Options
    joolieajooliea Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited December 2012
    I'm still wondering if anyone can tell me why xquartz would do anything to affect the performance of Cider. Any info?
  • Options
    PearyfooaPearyfooa Posts: 334 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Wahoo! your steps helped :lol: I didn't have to install xquartz but followed all your other steps CZ and I got to play for 2 hours :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    NezuMuffyNezuMuffy Posts: 28
    edited December 2012
    Specs:
    2009 MacBookPro
    10.6.8 OSX
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
    4GB Memory
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Expansions: WA, Ambitions, Generations and Pets (thinking of getting Late Night and Seasons) ; DesignHighTech SP

Patch: The game is patched up to the latest 1.42 patch.

Game Issues: There are no new issues since the latest patch. I already had trouble to have Pets running when it came out (it had the freezing problem most people were having) and I had to upgrade to Snow Leopard to have it work. I have a lot of Store Content installed, but no CC nor any Mods. The game still freezes from time to time, but only for a minute or two, but it rarely crashes. I can only play on windowed mode, my graphics settings are on low, I never log in, the memories are activated, and I never use the in-game store. It sometimes takes up to 5 minutes to save, but I still save regularly. I usually do a Disk utility before playing Sims. I don't empty the cash.folder nor have the super patcher or anything like that.

I was thinking of getting Seasons, but with all the trouble it's causing, I don't know if it's safe or not... And I WOULD like to have my game run as best as it can, even though my laptop is a tad old and the specs are the minimum required (I think). But I'm still pretty much a n00b when it comes to Mac computers and to know what steps I should follow.

So... what is recommended? Should I just do a clean re-install of everything? Would I be able to load my old saves? Just install the Superpatcher and a few mods? Install XQuartz just in case? Also, knowing that the newest patch didn't really screw up my graphics (they haven't changed, trust me, the pets still look normal and my old saves work) would it be safe to try and get Seasons?

Sorry for the long monologue and for all the questions, but I'm still new to all this. :oops:
  • Options
    fabiveritasfabiveritas Posts: 3 New Member
    edited December 2012
    One question you guys, I have a mac that I purchased last year, and I installed all my stuff, I have like 4 sims from cc that I downloaded from the exchange, and that is it, I don't have 3 EP's which are world adventures, diesel and master suite, I have all the others, I installed my base game again, downloaded the update of the 14.2 and for some reason it reads 16.. no idea. Anyways I was prompted to patch late night and generations, so I did. But my game crashes on CAS, I haven't even been able to play. I want to know what I can do because I really enjoy sims, and I have spent so much money.. I wanted to know if doing bootcamp helps, and if it means that I will have to uninstall my base game and EP's to install them again on the bootcamp windows partition? Also there is some stuff the CZ mentions in her steps that I have no idea how to install.. any help?

Oh I almost forgot i bought all my games from macgamestore and gametree. They are all supposed to be mac games. i think... would bootcamp still help?
  • Options
    laurenjoannesmithlaurenjoannesmith Posts: 17
    edited December 2012
    Thank you so much for this. I played for 3 hours this evening before it crashed! Before following these steps I could only play for 5 mins max.
  • Options
    Crystal_ZeldaCrystal_Zelda Posts: 102 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Update: it's been over a month now and my game runs really well. I have no crashes anymore, and everything seems to go very smoothly - the only thing is that moodlets from Premium Items are completely broken, and when I use the fountain of youth my sims don't get younger. But as for that, I tried downloading a few fixes but nothing has worked. If anyone has a fix, I'd love to hear it!

The other thing I've noticed is after a trip to Egypt, my house icon has disappeared from the main menu - you know when you load a game there's a small icon of your family and the house they live it? Well the house icon is completely blue and empty, but the Sims' icon is there and fine. A little strange, but I haven't noticed it messing with gameplay yet. Can't believe they haven't released a patch yet?