Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

***A Build Contest For The Novice/Beginner/Nervous Builder*** Winners Announced page 1 and 21***

Comments

• Options
    fission63fission63 Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2012
    rattbait wrote:
    I guess I do have a problem. The computer that my Sims game is loaded on has bit the dust. What can I do since I can't load it to fix it?

EDIT:
    I've gone through the screenshots that I have and the pattern is probably the one I used for the wall draperies. Since there is very little chance to get a new computer and have it fully set up and running by the deadline I will withdraw my submission.

It was nice while it lasted. :cry:

Please read the post on your page and get back to me. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ritzbit wrote:
    I have updated my entry on page twelve with a picture slideshow :)

:D:D:D I could almost judge your entry with all those pictures :D:D:D

Your house is lovely

• Options
    rattbaitrattbait Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2012
    fission63 wrote:
    rattbait wrote:
    I guess I do have a problem. The computer that my Sims game is loaded on has bit the dust. What can I do since I can't load it to fix it?

EDIT:
    I've gone through the screenshots that I have and the pattern is probably the one I used for the wall draperies. Since there is very little chance to get a new computer and have it fully set up and running by the deadline I will withdraw my submission.

It was nice while it lasted. :cry:

Please read the post on your page and get back to me. :D

I'm not sure how this forum works so I replied to your post on my page.
  • Options
    Heavensent2010Heavensent2010 Posts: 167 Member
    edited November 2012
    Here is one of my builds!

User Name: HeavenSent2010

Lot Name: Home in the Woods

Lot Size: 40x40

Link to Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6681500

Description (of Lot and things that challenged you in this build): This home has 3 bedrooms (2 main and 1 guest in the basement). Open concept kicthen, living room, and dining room. There are 2 bathrooms. An attic. In the basement there is a family like room and gym. Outside ther e is a pool and hottub. Things that challenge me while building in general is the outside area. It’s either too much or too little or I’m missing things. Deciding how the house look on the outside is really difficult for me. Hope I did good. This house is similar to another one in my studio, I just kind of tweeked some things.

Game Pictures (5 max):
    Screenshot-163.jpg
    lbk.png
    Screenshot-166.jpg
    Screenshot-168.jpg
    Screenshot-171.jpg

Will have a slideshow add later!
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited November 2012
    I haven't seen many dormers, so I thought I would share a quick few picks on how to make them:

Dormers1.jpg

Dormers2.jpg

Dormers3.jpg

Dormers4.jpg

Dormers5.jpg

Dormers6.jpg

Just try to be even, my example used an oddly shaped house. Also, be sure to extend the walls far enough back so there are no gaps, as you see in the last picture. Also pitch your roofs!

Enjoy!

-Snow
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    ShrillShrill Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited November 2012
    That's a great tutorial, thanks! One of the problems that I had, which led to me putting my dormer on an unused floor was that to get the dormer roof to meet with the main roof properly the corners of the dormer roof had to cut into the interior, so you could see roof tiles in the room. This looked rubbish and the only alternative I could find was to pitch the main roof to a point where it looked rubbish externally.

This might just be a problem with putting dormers in half gable roofs, but I wondered if there were any tips on how to avoid this problem?
  • Options
    SnowmoonSnowmoon Posts: 3,437 Member
    edited November 2012
    Shrill >> I really like your use of roofs. It gives a modern/family feel, like something from the 70s but modernized for the 2010s. Roofs are are just tricky but the right roof just makes the home. =)

-Snow
    Find my builds under Evie_Snowmoon in the Gallery!
  • Options
    ShrillShrill Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited November 2012
    Aw thanks, It was just frustrating that I couldn't get the dormer to work in the bedroom as I'd intended because a bedroom with a sloping roof and a large dormer would be so nice. I'll keep my fingers crossed that EA release some Velux windows or skylights at some point!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Whew

Its 12.30am and I'm still up. No not simming ... my cats having kittens, 4 so far. So I'm on here trying to catch up.

@ Rattbait - I went through your great tower and the only pattern I changed was on one of the rugs. It was a blue pattern and changing it seems to have worked, it passed custard. I have uploaded your house into my studio and added the updated link for the judges in the 1st post.

@ Snowmoon - thanks for the great tutorial. Very easy to follow.

@ HeavenSent2010 - great entry. I wondered about the mirror but it passed custard so I must have it. Great walk in closet and clever shelving. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DACHALDACHAL Posts: 87
    edited November 2012
    Hello, I searched for the pattern, but all the patterns I used are from the basic game or an expansion( I don´t have a lot of expansions). :shock: Maybe it was a misunderstood like with the snowman. :lol: I changed the chairs please let me know if the problem with the pattern continues I changed a lot of them even tough every pattern I have is from the base game. :wink: HERE THE LINK:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6682808

THANKS!
  • Options
    MissAmberNolanMissAmberNolan Posts: 214 New Member
    edited November 2012
    The Lot I would like to enter Is my Wannabe Princess Tower.
    Pink paradise for a bachelorette who seems to hold on to her childhood a bit too much.
    Would be Ideal for a fairy also!

User Name: MissAmberNolan
    Lot Name: The Princess Tower
    Lot Size: 10 x 10
    Link to Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6680323
    Link to more Pictures (not important): Pictures at the bottom :3
    Description (of Lot and things that challenged you in this build): Building Diagonal Walls with furniture on sides ,was very difficult to place worktops in the kitchen -sigh-

Game Pictures (5 max):
    WILL ADD AT LATER POST LAUNCH MENU IS ACTING UP. >.<

Entrance to the tower.
    screenshot_original5-1.jpg

The Street View:
    screenshot_original-3.jpg

The TV room, Entrance:
    screenshot_original3-3.jpg

The Kitchen:
    screenshot_original1-3.jpg

And Finally A pinked out bathroom!
    screenshot_original2-3.jpg

Hope you enjoy <3
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    samanthajane26samanthajane26 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited November 2012
    fission63 did you figure out getting the mediafire file into game? I've only done it that way once so I'm sure I went a long way about it, but I did get mine into game. I saved the file from mediafire to my desktop (mainly so it was easy to find) from there it was easy to custard check too, then I just moved the file into my Electronic Arts downloads file in the MyDocuments section and it was in my launcher as a normal download ready to install. Like I say, not sure if thats the way you're supposed to do it but it worked for me

DACHAL, I know how frustrating it is to try to find something that just doesn't want to be found! A quick way for an overall check might be to check your installed content of your launcher, look in the patterns filter and anything that has a * symbol is a custom pattern, if you download from the exchange they do sneak in sometimes. The same symbol that appears on any CC item. If you see a pattern in the installed content pattern filter it might give you an idea of what you're looking for. Hope it helps, I almost pulled my hair out searching a build for an Ambitions item I knew wasn't there but the upload said Ambitions!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    DACHAL wrote:
    Hello, I searched for the pattern, but all the patterns I used are from the basic game or an expansion( I don´t have a lot of expansions). :shock: Maybe it was a misunderstood like with the snowman. :lol: I changed the chairs please let me know if the problem with the pattern continues I changed a lot of them even tough every pattern I have is from the base game. :wink: HERE THE LINK:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6682808

THANKS!

Thank you DACHAL

I really appreciate the time you have put in to repair your entry, it's not that easy a thing to do. I will run it through custard later today. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    rattbaitrattbait Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2012
    fission63 - thank you so very much for your assistance. I'm getting anxious to play my game again. It's not going to be fun installing since I have all the stuff and expansion packs and probably 95% of the store items. At least I do have backups of my Sims, downloads, and games.
    And kittens!? My kitten is five years old and has been added to my game as Ms. Rattbait's companion!
  • Options
    edited November 2012

@ samanthjane - well of course I didn't try such a simple thing, hopefully it would work.

@ MissAmberNolan - thank you for entering your tower, fitting furnishing onto a diagonal wall is always a pain but so worth it to get the look you want.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    fission63 did you figure out getting the mediafire file into game? I've only done it that way once so I'm sure I went a long way about it, but I did get mine into game. I saved the file from mediafire to my desktop (mainly so it was easy to find) from there it was easy to custard check too, then I just moved the file into my Electronic Arts downloads file in the MyDocuments section and it was in my launcher as a normal download ready to install. Like I say, not sure if thats the way you're supposed to do it but it worked for me

Grrr

Nope, tried it 3 different ways and it comes up with '''Please make sure your game has the latest Software Updates and try again'''

I even reinstalled the store patch and the game is up to date. Very frustrating.

I have never downloaded a lot from mediafire before and assumed it would be as simple as the exchange.

• Options
    MissAmberNolanMissAmberNolan Posts: 214 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Updated post with photos, hope its okay :3<3
  • Options
    ritzbitritzbit Posts: 429
    edited November 2012
    fission63 wrote:
    ritzbit wrote:
    I have updated my entry on page twelve with a picture slideshow :)

:D:D:D I could almost judge your entry with all those pictures :D:D:D

Your house is lovely

Thank you :D
  • Options
    Jillyson_Twozaks_1Jillyson_Twozaks_1 Posts: 3,334 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Everyone is doing such a great job! I would never know you're beginners - from the building tricks, to the landscaping, to the decorating and to the builds themselves; there's some truly great things happening here!

If the mediafire file is a Sims3pack, you should be able to open the zip, drag the file with the plumbob onto the desktop, Custard it, and if it passes, just double-click it to put it right into the launcher.

@ pitton, it's possible that you downloaded something from the exchange that had cc installed without you knowing it was there. That happens pretty often. I know the justa column is cc that exactly matches an ea column, so that's easy to replace. (that one messed me up, too. I don't know where I got it from, but it was there in my game!)

And someone mentioned previously about newspapers fouling up the upload process - yes, that happens, too. It could be a newspaper, bills on an endtable, a dirty dish on a counter or any number of things like that. That could be what's stopping the lot from being downloaded from the mediafire site, too.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope I helped a bit!
  • Options
    PittonPitton Posts: 210 Member
    edited November 2012
    fission63 wrote:
    Hi Guys

This is my issues post :oops: :oops: :oops:

gwghost - I may need some help here. I have never downloaded a lot from mediafire before and my launcher won't load it. Can anyone help me. My :oops:

Ok now the entries that need CC taken out. These lots will need to be fixed and re-uploaded with the new url posted on here for me please.

DACHAL - 2 items coming up as CC.
    - Bresnia Dining Chair
    - and 1 pattern.

Pitton - yes I'm afraid you have CC showing too, 6 items.
    - A 2x1 window (it's a window that matches an ea one)
    - Kinedo Bathtub
    - A ShinoKCR bed
    - justa column
    - and 2 patterns

:mrgreen:
    whew!!! its a good thing I finally got the pc, I hadn't seen this on my iphone :P
    I've taken out the CC that I didn't know I had :oops: I've uploaded my house again so hope this time its ok :D
    PS: I also used different windows cuz i didn't remember the size (only realized they were different when I looked inside and the curtains weren't at the same place :( )

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6685553
  • Options
    samanthajane26samanthajane26 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited November 2012
    If the mediafire file is a Sims3pack, you should be able to open the zip, drag the file with the plumbob onto the desktop, Custard it, and if it passes, just double-click it to put it right into the launcher.
    I suspected there was an easier way to do it! I made an exception to the one I added that way, but usually I only use the exchange. Well actually I'd stopped that too unless I knew and trusted the source because the exchange is full of CC! My old anti virus had some issue with Custard so I've only been able to use that very recently but its so much better now I have that and don't have to worry about unwanted CC creeping in
  • Options
    KariussaKariussa Posts: 968 Member
    edited November 2012
    Greate buildings everyone,it does not look like beginners ;-)

And Snowmoon,I liked your tutorial,with the pic!I have wonder about how they make these "things" on the roof,and...not always so easy to follow a tutorial.. :oops: . I have strugle a bit with this pic thing. I downloaded Zindas uic and a program called Irfan View. Did not understand the "crop" thing . So I just click on the pic and drag the mouse pointer,and then click on crop,so it work some how.Have tryed to use it on my last two buildings in my studio,latest today.

So,practice,practice...;-) (but I kind of feel stupid sometime when I cant follow a tutorial! )

Aha..reading roof tutorials at first page,very interesting ;-)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jessicamp25Jessicamp25 Posts: 198 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just posting to say I may not be able to finish my build in time for the contest. I've had some issues (in RL not the build) so I haven't had the most time to finish it up :(. But, if I can't enter it in time, I will show everyone what it looks like after I finish it, if that's ok. BTW, there are some awesome builds on here!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Good Afternoon

My mouse is playing up today so I'm going to update in one post :mrgreen:

@MissAmberNolan - Thank you for the updated photos, very nice.

@Pitton - I was starting to worry that you had missed the post about the CC, thank you for fixing it.

@Kariussa - :D Reading the tutorials is one thing, doing it in game is another :D you are so right, its all about practice practice practice

@Jessicamp25 - RL is more important than this, there will always be other contests.

HELP

I am still having a problem with MEDIAFIRE, I've tried everything suggested to this point and still no go.

• Options
    LavynderHazeLavynderHaze Posts: 813 New Member
    edited November 2012
    User Name: LavynderHaze
    Lot Name: Luxe Lavenders
    Lot Size: 40x30
    Link to Exchange: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6687602
    Link to more Pictures (not important):
    Description (of Lot and things that challenged you in this build): This is a suburban home with three bedrooms and three bathrooms. There is also an alchemy room, a kitchen and dining room, a laundry room, and living room. In the yard there is a patio with grill and fridge along with a pool and large garden. All appliances, electronics, and plumbing is upgraded. What challlenged me in this build was the build in general. The major things that were a setback were the landscaping and the L-shaped stair case. Also the decorating was difficult and picture taking.
    Game Pictures (5 max): on (of Lot and things that challenged you in this build):
    Screenshot-607.jpg

Screenshot-608.jpg

Screenshot-609.jpg

Screenshot-610.jpg

Screenshot-613.jpg