Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kinda Bored with Seasons Already...(Not so bored anymore)

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    CenaCena Posts: 43 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I have just found a world that is great it has a city and suburbs its nice especially with seasons its Anne Arbour by sim realty
  • Options
    gypsycatgypsycat Posts: 110 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I was kinda stuck in a rut with my game, so yesterday I went around and removed all the sims I could, deleted all the lots and homes and I'm now playing a kind of zombie apocalypse game which I'm having a ton of fun with. I plan on building the lots back gradually as the generations grow. For food my sim has to find plants and fish, she has no skills so far so I'm starting building fishing and gardening skills up, collecting rocks and gems to earn money to one day be able to build a small home. I have never done this kind of challenge before but it has me wanting to play all the time :mrgreen: I have to wait until Christmas to get seasons so this should keep me happy until then
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:
    I was kinda stuck in a rut with my game, so yesterday I went around and removed all the sims I could, deleted all the lots and homes and I'm now playing a kind of zombie apocalypse game which I'm having a ton of fun with. I plan on building the lots back gradually as the generations grow. For food my sim has to find plants and fish, she has no skills so far so I'm starting building fishing and gardening skills up, collecting rocks and gems to earn money to one day be able to build a small home. I have never done this kind of challenge before but it has me wanting to play all the time :mrgreen: I have to wait until Christmas to get seasons so this should keep me happy until then

I've considered this, but going for a more "hardcore" mode. Now that I have Seasons, it'll be interesting to see if my Founder will survive a Nuclear Winter.

I did find a huge neighborhood, once; big enough for at least one lot of each type from all of the expansions. But the thing proved to be too sloppily put together to be much use. So a new neighborhood may be in the near future for me, as well. The other thing I'm considering is going around through all my current neighborhoods; gathering up the residents (including the Homeless and the ghosts in the cemetaries) and putting them all together into a single neighborhood, so they can all interact with my Sim. Nraas Story Progression will ensure no one moves out. Just like a roach motel. ...Er... I mean...
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't really expect seasons to be something exciting that would stop boredom, just a nice addition to the gameplay and atmosphere.

That's how I feel about it, too. Expansions like Seasons, that add to the overall gameplay instead of having a bunch of new objects, are not going to save the game for people who are hopelessly bored with it. I find that when I get to the point where I am so bored with Sims that even a new EP can't make it fun, it's time to take a break from it for a few months.

The other posters have great suggestions though about changing the way you play. I learned in Sims 2 that when I played every family in the same style I got bored really fast. Changing things up really helps. Now, all of my families are very different with their own little quirks. Lately I've been doing the Differences in The Family Tree Challenge and I love it because it's made me play some types of Sims that I probably wouldn't have bothered with before.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    misspopthingmisspopthing Posts: 190 Member
    edited November 2012
    Cena wrote:
    I have just found a world that is great it has a city and suburbs its nice especially with seasons its Anne Arbour by sim realty

Hmmm I have heard of that one. I will check it out. I had downloaded Pounawea from Awesims, but it was way too small for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:

Oh wow that sounds like fun. :D I might try something like that. Hmmm...Maybe I should finish building my world first, but instead of pre building the lots I can build them up gradually as my Sim progresses through the challenge.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:

I've considered this, but going for a more "hardcore" mode. Now that I have Seasons, it'll be interesting to see if my Founder will survive a Nuclear Winter.

I did find a huge neighborhood, once; big enough for at least one lot of each type from all of the expansions. But the thing proved to be too sloppily put together to be much use. So a new neighborhood may be in the near future for me, as well. The other thing I'm considering is going around through all my current neighborhoods; gathering up the residents (including the Homeless and the ghosts in the cemetaries) and putting them all together into a single neighborhood, so they can all interact with my Sim. Nraas Story Progression will ensure no one moves out. Just like a roach motel. ...Er... I mean...

What is Nraas Story Progression? I have been on that site so many times, I can never figure out what any of the stuff on there does. (and reading it all confuses me) :oops: Except Overwatch, I figured out what that does and I love it dearly. ♥
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't really expect seasons to be something exciting that would stop boredom, just a nice addition to the gameplay and atmosphere.

That's how I feel about it, too. Expansions like Seasons, that add to the overall gameplay instead of having a bunch of new objects, are not going to save the game for people who are hopelessly bored with it. I find that when I get to the point where I am so bored with Sims that even a new EP can't make it fun, it's time to take a break from it for a few months.

The other posters have great suggestions though about changing the way you play. I learned in Sims 2 that when I played every family in the same style I got bored really fast. Changing things up really helps. Now, all of my families are very different with their own little quirks. Lately I've been doing the Differences in The Family Tree Challenge and I love it because it's made me play some types of Sims that I probably wouldn't have bothered with before.

I should probably go back and start with the Showtime Expansion Pack. I knew nothing about it and it has been out for awhile and I still don't know much about it. I never bought it, but a few weeks ago I borrowed my sister' copy. I searched through the game and there are tons of new stuff, but I have yet to experience any of it. Same thing with Supernatural. I borrowed it from my cousin and have only played once since I installed it. I made my Sim a witch and I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do after that. Then Zombies kept popping up and scaring me. I just need to take some time and go through everything slowly and play through it all.

I have been so busy trying to finish my world that I have had not time to enjoy the game. I keep trying to take breaks from building and get some play time in, but then I get excited about a new idea for my world and go back to building. I think that when I am finished with my world and it is playable then I will start to enjoy the Sims again.
  • Options
    ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2012
    What is Nraas Story Progression? I have been on that site so many times, I can never figure out what any of the stuff on there does. (and reading it all confuses me) :oops: Except Overwatch, I figured out what that does and I love it dearly. ♥

I've found many of the Nraas modules to be entertaining or useful. Story Progression is a reworking of EA's Story Progression, so that the inactives in the neighborhood behave more naturally. In EA's Story Progression, it's all numbers. A random Sim will be chosen for a random event, even if it doesn't fit in with what's happened in the neighborhood, their personality, or their interactions with your Sim. A personal example is when one of my Sims had a romantic interest with the guy next door; who was fully single, no partner at all. She invited him over, they talked, they fell in love, and he went home. The next day, she called him up and he brought a girl over. The girl was his wife. ***? With Nraas Story Progression, he'd be more likely to wait for you. Or at the very least, he'd only marry someone he was already dating.
    Nraas Story Progression has other features, as well. Auto-pay bills, changes to curfew or how Prom and Graduation are handled. Social Security for Elders, Child Support for Single Mothers; including a percentile chance for how often the unmarried fathers pay it. It offers pushes so that Inactives can build their own skills, and fortunes, as well as purchase items such as cars and bikes. There's an extender module to allow for "Towns", different personalities to add even more depth to your neighborhood. It can control how many Sims default to homosexual preferences, and whether or not babies are born at the same gender or even genders.

It has so many features, and it's one of my favorite mods. It DOES take a while to set up if you don't want to use the default settings; but you can always export your preferences to reuse again and again (for instance, in Vacation neighborhoods), or to share with other people.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I've found many of the Nraas modules to be entertaining or useful. Story Progression is a reworking of EA's Story Progression, so that the inactives in the neighborhood behave more naturally. In EA's Story Progression, it's all numbers. A random Sim will be chosen for a random event, even if it doesn't fit in with what's happened in the neighborhood, their personality, or their interactions with your Sim. A personal example is when one of my Sims had a romantic interest with the guy next door; who was fully single, no partner at all. She invited him over, they talked, they fell in love, and he went home. The next day, she called him up and he brought a girl over. The girl was his wife. ***? With Nraas Story Progression, he'd be more likely to wait for you. Or at the very least, he'd only marry someone he was already dating.
    Nraas Story Progression has other features, as well. Auto-pay bills, changes to curfew or how Prom and Graduation are handled. Social Security for Elders, Child Support for Single Mothers; including a percentile chance for how often the unmarried fathers pay it. It offers pushes so that Inactives can build their own skills, and fortunes, as well as purchase items such as cars and bikes. There's an extender module to allow for "Towns", different personalities to add even more depth to your neighborhood. It can control how many Sims default to homosexual preferences, and whether or not babies are born at the same gender or even genders.

It has so many features, and it's one of my favorite mods. It DOES take a while to set up if you don't want to use the default settings; but you can always export your preferences to reuse again and again (for instance, in Vacation neighborhoods), or to share with other people.
    That sounds awesome. I am in love with it already. I will totally download it and check it out. :mrgreen: Thanks a million. :)
  • Options
    mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:

I did this too, but then I stopped and decided to wait for this world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xznxeZ3NN4

I am using this challenge to guide me: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/409521.page

I was having a ton of fun with it over summer. I am looking forward to resuming when the world comes out.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:

I did this too, but then I stopped and decided to wait for this world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xznxeZ3NN4

I am using this challenge to guide me: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/409521.page

I was having a ton of fun with it over summer. I am looking forward to resuming when the world comes out.

Oh wow. :shock: That looks like it would make a great story line. And that challenge is perfect for that world.
  • Options
    CimaraNyx1CimaraNyx1 Posts: 469
    edited November 2012
    I made my world the way I always pictured it...tall buildings in the center, like an inner city, then smaller shops as you go out and finally some really out of town type stuff like the horse training facilities and junkyards. Then small, easy to manage neighborhoods. I ended up with 77 community lots and have so much to do, I never visit the same place twice it seems. My world is sort of flat, no mountain-ish lag.

I have the poorer areas, the middle class and the upper crust. It feels so real to me that I get lost in there and forget how many hours I've spent playing. I usually have 2 or 3 families going on at once so I have plenty of kids and teens to populate the neighborhoods and see them playing in the parks. Trick or treating works well too with more children running about.

I never use cheats like motherlode or caching...instead I create professions and then stick to them...novelists...doctors...or my favorite, gamblers. When I decorate my houses, I try to stick with a theme in each household so I get a different feel each time I visit that house and family. If I do get bored, which isn't often, I throw something at the families I'm playing to shake up their world and try to figure out ways to get them back to normal. It's just the way I've always played. EP's just enhance my play experience, since I delve into each aspect of the EP slowly...enjoying and savoring.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    CimaraNyx1 wrote:
    I made my world the way I always pictured it...tall buildings in the center, like an inner city, then smaller shops as you go out and finally some really out of town type stuff like the horse training facilities and junkyards. Then small, easy to manage neighborhoods. I ended up with 77 community lots and have so much to do, I never visit the same place twice it seems. My world is sort of flat, no mountain-ish lag.

I have the poorer areas, the middle class and the upper crust. It feels so real to me that I get lost in there and forget how many hours I've spent playing. I usually have 2 or 3 families going on at once so I have plenty of kids and teens to populate the neighborhoods and see them playing in the parks. Trick or treating works well too with more children running about.

I never use cheats like motherlode or caching...instead I create professions and then stick to them...novelists...doctors...or my favorite, gamblers. When I decorate my houses, I try to stick with a theme in each household so I get a different feel each time I visit that house and family. If I do get bored, which isn't often, I throw something at the families I'm playing to shake up their world and try to figure out ways to get them back to normal. It's just the way I've always played. EP's just enhance my play experience, since I delve into each aspect of the EP slowly...enjoying and savoring.

The world I am making I have made several times, but ended up scraping it and starting over. Kinda like a rough draft. I am really far a long with it now, so there is no scraping it this time. It is a world I always wanted. There is a giant beach which is hard to find in most worlds. All the worlds I have seen either didn't have a beach or barely had one. It also has a country/mountain area. It has a very woodsy feel to it. Then I have a military base area. The science and military jobs are there, along with houses for those sims with those jobs to live in. There are several community lots in that area as well. Then there is going to be a downtown area with town houses and a few clubs and bars. There is more, but that is all I have planned out so far. I think once I am finished there will be loads of stuff to keep me busy.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited November 2012

I had so many problems with EA's Story Progression, just like the one you detailed -- it was impossible for me to play a single Sim and get him/her paired off and married because I'd meet someone, get to Romantic Interest, then the next day it would drop back to Best Friend because they'd met someone else and were engaged or married. With the combination of the NRaas SP and the new attraction system, I was able to get my single Sim together with Liam O'Dourke (I've always had a soft spot for the nerdish types 8) ). And when I got a notification that he'd been seen out on the town with another Sim, I knew it was time to turn on the charm; a few love letters, some dates at the Summer Festival and he was eating out of my hand! They're engaged now and expecting their first child. :mrgreen:
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    edited November 2012

I had so many problems with EA's Story Progression, just like the one you detailed -- it was impossible for me to play a single Sim and get him/her paired off and married because I'd meet someone, get to Romantic Interest, then the next day it would drop back to Best Friend because they'd met someone else and were engaged or married. With the combination of the NRaas SP and the new attraction system, I was able to get my single Sim together with Liam O'Dourke (I've always had a soft spot for the nerdish types 8) ). And when I got a notification that he'd been seen out on the town with another Sim, I knew it was time to turn on the charm; a few love letters, some dates at the Summer Festival and he was eating out of my hand! They're engaged now and expecting their first child. :mrgreen:

Awe. That's great. :D I can't wait to use that mod with my Sims. It seems like it makes things way better.
  • Options
    kristinjeankristinjean Posts: 30
    edited November 2012
    Highly suggest Nrass mods! Cant believe you have been missing out on his story progression its awesome!!!! Lol i also suggest his relativity mod.... Basically it slows time down what sims do in a sense kind of confusing ;) basically it will not take you 2 hours to shower. In those 2 hrs you could have had a shower, eaten dinner and watched tv. Allows sims to do more in a day!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Highly suggest Nrass mods! Cant believe you have been missing out on his story progression its awesome!!!! Lol i also suggest his relativity mod.... Basically it slows time down what sims do in a sense kind of confusing ;) basically it will not take you 2 hours to shower. In those 2 hrs you could have had a shower, eaten dinner and watched tv. Allows sims to do more in a day!!!
    I will definitely be checking his other mods. So far I have overwatch and the story progression one. Haven't really played much though, but I will soon. Hoping to change things up a bit and make the game more exciting to play.
  • Options
    gypsycatgypsycat Posts: 110 New Member
    edited November 2012
    gypsycat wrote:

Wow! That looks awesome and would be so perfect! I have edited some of the lots to look like ruins, but doesn't come close to that, still, I'm really enjoying my game right now :)