Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Legacy Challenge Rules

Comments

• Options
    Xanita39Xanita39 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Sonshine wrote:
    Are collection items, such as rocks, insects and seeds subject to the black market restriction?

No, you are allowed to sell any collection items you find...as long as they weren't stolen out of someone's house or garbage.

Is this a typo? I'm wondering b/c unless somebody knows somewhere else to get it, I've only found the pink diamond in a garbage can. I'm playing in Riverview. And getting stuff out of the garbage is not stealing. It's thrown away, lol. I can se not getting things out of their house, but not being able to sell collectibles we get from the garbage is a bit unreasonable.

This has been a moot point for a while.
    Stolen stuff can also be sold now.
    Pinstar just hasn't gotten around to getting rid of this conflicting statement at the bottom of the first post.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Family Trait
    When creating your founder in CAS, choose one of the founder’s 5 traits to become the ‘family trait’ for your legacy family. There after, every sim born to the legacy family must possess this trait by the time they reach young adulthood. If they do not inherit it at birth, you must choose that trait the moment you are given the option to. The remaining traits still must be rolled for.

Krell are you bending another optional rule?
    Your founder does not have the family trait?
    But thanks for explaining the pyro trait I'm going to see if I can get a fireman to get my heir preggers now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Krell wrote:
    I went with a matriarchy so it was a female founder for me but as someone else pointed out a male founder does have some advantages in terms of child birth not interfering with your career. However I found that if you time it right it doesn't make too much of an impact as long as you only have one or two children. If your career has two days off in a row try to time it so your maternity leave starts right before that two day period, then you only lose a couple of days because most of them you would have been off anyway.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe you get maternity leave on the days you were supposed to work. For instance if you get into your maternity clothes on friday after work and you get 4 days off and you have weekends off you dont go back to work till friday.
    I remember someone writing she was an austronaut and they only work 1 day a week and she got a month maternity leave.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ugh so im starting my like third legacy beginning.. cause my main computer won't run it so i've been switching back and forth between computers.. so i'm about to start another one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which is better:

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    Pick traits or randimize for founder?
    LTW for founder?

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions...

My founder had the LTW Celebrated 5 star chef (top of the culinary career) because I wanted to get the nice fridge where food never goes bad early on because now I don't need a good cook in every generation. I can just stock that fridge up real good.
    But like Stormfeather said if you want to get all the LTW's get the big family one out of the way.

For a family trait I picked hopeless romantic because it makes relationships that much easier and I was afraid I would not get a baby fast enough.
    If I had to do it over I would probably go for genius since the parents get the wish to see their child become a genius alot.
  • Options
    Sims3_SarahSims3_Sarah Posts: 58 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Is it too late to jump in and try a hand at running a legacy?
  • Options
    Mandy347Mandy347 Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2009
    Is it too late to jump in and try a hand at running a legacy?

It's never too late. :) The goal is fun, not a deadline.
  • Options
    AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ugh so im starting my like third legacy beginning.. cause my main computer won't run it so i've been switching back and forth between computers.. so i'm about to start another one and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about which is better:

Male or Female founder?
    Family Trait?
    Pick traits or randimize for founder?
    LTW for founder?

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions...

As to family trait, I think I may be the only person that decided to go for a negative family trait ,Commitment Issues, to add to the challenge, so that might be something to consider, but to be honest if I was going to do it over again I don't think I would pick that one, not because it's a major problem, in fact in a matriarchy it's barely an issue except for a couple of ltws but because it isn't available until teenager which has two consequences, one it means my Sims can never have more than one of the other not available until teens traits and two I tend to forget to give it to them (mind you I guess that would happen with any life stage) also it's one of the exclusive traits so it means I can't have hopeless romantics (although actually I have had one because I forgot to give her commitment issues as a teenager and she rolled hopeless romantic, and I then decided to run with it anyway for that one specific Sim, she's not heir so it makes little odds in the long run).

For other traits, having Loves the Outdoors on a founder is pretty helpful if they're going to be living in a field for a while, Neurotic might be a useful one too surprisingly enough as long as you invest in a sink early on, because they have that whole freak out, instant happiness thing... I am so tempted to take Neurotic as family trait my next attempt around (yup, not even halfway through this legacy, already planning the next).

One ltw that might be a good one for a founder is Renaissance Sim (any three skills maxed) as it kind of allows for any eventuality, sure it's not a fast one to fulfill but I find most Sims would make it before death one way or another.
  • Options
    Sims3_SarahSims3_Sarah Posts: 58 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Okie Dokie..rule reading time and then diving it. It sounds like a good thing to blog about on my Sims blog :)
  • Options
    Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2009
    I find the further you get in, it's good to allocate easy LTWs to the spares so they can fulfil them and go (or you can use them to help raise babies) - things like Chess Grandmaster, Illustrious Author and Master of Arts are all pretty easy, especially if you get them skilling up as kids/teens.

The easiest career I've found so far is sports - had two sims max that out, it doesn't seem to need as many skills as the others.

My family trait is lucky - I decided the first of my founder' traits that her heir rolled would pass down and it happened to be that one. It's good because I've only ever had one burglary, two fires and no electrocutions across five-six generations - although it doesn't do much that's 'exciting'.
  • Options
    Angel420MarieAngel420Marie Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm new to this whole legacy thing so please bear with me :-) What happens when you finish the legacy? How do you enter the contest? Do I upload my last generation to the site or something? Also, are any mood cheats allowed at all?
  • Options
    haleym8826haleym8826 Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm new to this whole legacy thing so please bear with me :-) What happens when you finish the legacy? How do you enter the contest? Do I upload my last generation to the site or something? Also, are any mood cheats allowed at all?

yes I was wondering the same thing. How do you keep track of points since if u do it yourself no one really knows if you are cheating on some of the things or not.
  • Options
    KrellKrell Posts: 72 New Member
    edited August 2009
    haleym8826 wrote:

yes I was wondering the same thing. How do you keep track of points since if u do it yourself no one really knows if you are cheating on some of the things or not.

No one will know if you cheated or if your points are real, and to be honest most people probably won't care either way. There is no official scoring or ranking, you don't need to submit your points and there's no winner. It's all for fun and the only thing you 'win' is the right to talk about how much fun you had doing it, plus sharing your family's story in a blog if you want. Since it's all on the honor system and just for giggles anyway you only hurt yourself by cheating. So play, have fun, post about it if you want, and when/if you make it to generation 10 you can post your points total if you like. Or not.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited August 2009
    Cheats aren't allowed if you're playing by the rules, but items bought form LTH points are...

I keep track of my points with pen and paper usually...
  • Options
    AiweAiwe Posts: 89 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Something I do to help keep track of how many points I've got is when a Sim has their ltw and either 100,000 or 200,000 lth points I hover over the chest to bring up the lifetime happiness and take a screen shot with print screen (not the in game screen shots) and save it in a folder I have just for them, that's probably a weird way of doing it, but it works for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    then honor system it is. i prefer not to cheat anyway. It takes the challenge out of the game whether your playing a legacy or not.
  • Options
    RicalynnRicalynn Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2009
    I have a question. I'm having trouble getting my heir's mate to conceive a second child. She just refuses to get fat again. Do cousins count as eligible for heir status if they were raised in the legacy household. (one of my girls has been eyeing the maid.. )
  • Options
    darkbluemusic00darkbluemusic00 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Xanita39 wrote:
    Totally made it to 200,000 + aspiration! XDDDDDDDDD Man I need a life lol

aspirationgoal.th.jpg

oh boy, my heir is 2 days from becoming an elder and she has 300.000 lol

lol thats skill.
  • Options
    darkbluemusic00darkbluemusic00 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hey everyone I'm kinda nervous about the family tree situation. I know I can trace my newborn sims to my founder but the only way I can see her (my founder) is by clicking on the newborns parents... is that still alright? :shock:
  • Options
    StormfeatherStormfeather Posts: 371 Member
    edited August 2009
    Hey everyone I'm kinda nervous about the family tree situation. I know I can trace my newborn sims to my founder but the only way I can see her (my founder) is by clicking on the newborns parents... is that still alright? :shock:

So you mean that your founder had some kids, and one of those (the Heir) had your current newborns? Yeah, that's fine - it's just the family tree only can display so much at a time. You have to click around on different Sims in the tree to really see it all. :/
  • Options
    SianystarSianystar Posts: 1,515 New Member
    edited August 2009

You could always write it out to keep tabs on it as your legacy progresses, maybe?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Maha! I finally have he time and am off to start my first legacy. Just started and account on blogger so that mes can blog about it. I will be posting stories to me thinks.
  • Options
    SonshineSonshine Posts: 53 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Xanita39 wrote:
    This has been a moot point for a while.
    Stolen stuff can also be sold now.
    Pinstar just hasn't gotten around to getting rid of this conflicting statement at the bottom of the first post.

I see what you mean! In the one paragraph he says kleptos and rummagers can sell their "loot," but in the last paragraph he says they can't! That is a direct contradiction, but judging on his past track record, he probably won't come back to correct it. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    GAHHHHHH! I am never moving a sim into Riverview again. Everyone is married there. It isn't even possible to get a legacy going cuz their either married, old or underage. So obviously my first try is done. The sim I used is now my Avatar. Now for a try in sunset Valley.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm having better luck now that I am in sunset valley. Got my guy married (used the same sim as i tried to in Riverview) and now they are expecting a little one. Two room house now but it still looks like crap.
  • Options
    RicalynnRicalynn Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2009
    Riverview is a tough one unless you know it. I know where the single ladies are only because I could never find a man I thought cute enough for my first legacy. Plus Sunset Valley is where I play more often anyway.

Which of the ladies did you end up choosing?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top