Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DC Backup Folder - Deleting

A quick question if I may; what will happen if I empty the DC Back Up folder of the 183 files that are in it via deletion? Will doing this stop the game working properly?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Edit #1: Removing my original response because it was inaccurate. See the other responses in this thread for better info.

Edit #2: Okay, now some of the other responses are inaccurate, so ignore the previous edit. Here's what you need to know: 1) ccmerged.package is required for your premium Store content to work properly. 2) Everything else in the folder is only required if you ever upload Sims/lots to The Exchange that contain CC; the launcher requires the files in DCBackup in order to properly include the CC in your Exchange uploads. If you delete those files, your game itself will continue to work properly -- however, if you upload anything to The Exchange that contains CC, the players who download it will receive it without any CC. That's the only consequence of deleting the aforementioned files in DCBackup.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited September 2012
    It's perfectly safe to delete the contents of that file, however some people have reported that deleting the ccmerged.package file causes problems with premium content.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    evilkyttievilkytti Posts: 2,854 New Member
    edited September 2012
    So if you delete everything in that folder but the ccmerged.package, will the stuff still be in the game? I have 2,293 items in that thing. :roll:
  • Options
    ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Yup, it'll still be in-game. All of your content is located in the DCCache folder.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm so glad I found this thread. I was just wondering the same thing. I'm glad I'm able to delete these things. I had almost 900 items in there. TY!
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited March 2013
    DO NOT DELETE the DCBackup files if you intend on uploading your creations! That folder, I have come to realize, is what keeps CC 'sticking' to the lots/sims you upload. The DCCache are the actual installed files for YOUR end. The DCBackup is the TRANSFERABLE DATA for OTHER USERS' ENDS. Without them, all you're uploading is a bunch of base game content. :shock:
  • Options
    DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited March 2013
    murfeel wrote:
    DO NOT DELETE the DCBackup files if you intend on uploading your creations! That folder, I have come to realize, is what keeps CC 'sticking' to the lots/sims you upload. The DCCache are the actual installed files for YOUR end. The DCBackup is the TRANSFERABLE DATA for OTHER USERS' ENDS. Without them, all you're uploading is a bunch of base game content. :shock:

Very interesting... and good to know. How did you come upon this discovery?
  • Options
    amy89008189amy89008189 Posts: 720
    edited March 2013
    OMG! Thank you so much for this thread! I have 307 items in there (not counting ccmerge.package) and only have store items.. So I shall delete it all!
  • Options
    rochele65rochele65 Posts: 45 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for posting this!! I had never heard of doing this, I had 2953 files in there!!! :lol:
  • Options
    kmsim15kmsim15 Posts: 1,552 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldnt recommend deleting the ccmerge.package file either, when I deleted it a lot of my premium content items did not work.
  • Options
    SimsplyRuthSimsplyRuth Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited May 2013
    Graham1969 wrote:
    A quick question if I may; what will happen if I empty the DC Back Up folder of the 183 files that are in it via deletion? Will doing this stop the game working properly?

Thanks in advance

You will lose everything you have purchased from the store, downloaded or created... not a good idea
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited May 2013
    ^^No you won't :/ There are correct answers above you :)

I delete everything (sans the ccmerged file) every few months, my game always runs perfectly afterwards and I lose NONE of my content. I don't use a lot of sims3packs in my uploads, so unless they have the package file, they'll be getting EA content anyway :lol:
  • Options
    Elovs123Elovs123 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited February 2014
    I hope people see this but, will this folder remove my cc? or will it make me unable to download/install, cc or store items? I hope this wasn't answered, I would feel dumb for missing the answer :oops:
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited February 2014
    If you have premium content from the store don't delete the ccmerge package or your premium content won't work.

This is in the dcc backup folder.
  • Options
    onetooneonetoone Posts: 4
    edited February 2014
    I had over 1,000 haha! :P
  • Options
    willibg55555willibg55555 Posts: 5
    edited June 2014
    Ok, what if I sometimes DO upload sims with CC but I don't upload them to the exchange (usually Mediafire, Dropbox etc.), would deleting the files in my DCBackup folder still take off the CC used on my sims or does that only apply for sims exported & uploaded to the Exchange?
  • Options
    Angeleyes12Angeleyes12 Posts: 1 New Member
    Ok Honestlly You guys there are no perfict answers to this Post Sooo Freakin fustrateing Yes its fine delete the folders no dont delete the Folders Sims 3 has sooo mutch ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ it ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ me off,.... How Bought this I save my sims3 to a flashdrive, delete all my 10000 +folders in DC Back U, restart my game hope that it runs smoothly hope that my custom content is still there and then if its not then haay at least is all saved on my hard-drive!!!!!! Drives me Nuts how many problems are in this game,....
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Ok Honestlly You guys there are no perfict answers to this Post Sooo Freakin fustrateing Yes its fine delete the folders no dont delete the Folders Sims 3 has sooo mutch plum it plum me off,.... How Bought this I save my sims3 to a flashdrive, delete all my 10000 +folders in DC Back U, restart my game hope that it runs smoothly hope that my custom content is still there and then if its not then haay at least is all saved on my hard-drive!!!!!! Drives me Nuts how many problems are in this game,....
    Hi. The correct answers were given here on this thread many times already, years ago.

Do not delete the single ccmerged.package file.
    The rest of the contents of DCBackup can go unless you intend to export/upload sims and lots and expect to have your content stick to the uploads.

Is there something else we can actually help you with? If so, I would suggest posting on the thread below instead of ranting and perhaps we can be of assistance. :)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi all,

I have closed this thread as it is from 2012.

@igazor Thank you very much for the link!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top