Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is in a name? Q and A thread

Comments

• Options
    stikystuffstikystuff Posts: 2,939 Member
    edited August 2012
    There are some really amazing stories coming onto this thread and I am ready all of them. It seems everyone has a story to share regarding their chosen name and it's great to be able to learn a little more about everyone. Plus now I know where all your names originated and how personal they truly are.
  • Options
    kad1116kad1116 Posts: 1,413 New Member
    edited August 2012
    My name came from my highscool sweetheart,and i love him so so much, it's my name first intial and his name first intial, stand for K&D and the numbers is our anniversity: Nov.16th,now it's our last year in high school,and it's going to be great,go back to school monday and he's coming back after being away this summer,i can't wait til monday!!I hope i graduated with honors.I want to go to UGA,GO BULLDOGS!!!
  • Options
    godshelpiogodshelpio Posts: 1,675 Member
    edited August 2012
    My wonderful husband chose my name *acctually.. i call him my husband, he is my fiance. but we havnt been able to get married due to some life problems.. but he is my husband in my heart.. so i call him such*

anywho.. ;)

he made this account before i really got into simming online. I was always an origional sims player... i played it quite often infact, although i never did play the sims 2. i might one day try it.. My husband bought me the sims 3 about a year and a half ago and i have been hooked ever since. He bought be the base game with ambitions in one pack, and it came with simpoints.. which at that time i had no idea what they were for. so i came here.. and he told me to use his name.. he figured that if i did we could share. lol I think we could have either way.. but that is how i got my name.. it was my husbands name, and he used it while playing halo online The "io" stands for "infamous ones" i belive. If i had my choice i would change it to "avid simmer" because i use that name everywhere else, and i feel that i am an avid simmer. lol
  • Options
    SandySimSandySim Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited August 2012
    Love this thread. Learning lots about everyone. Mine is boring as I'm sure you figured out. My name is Sandy, and I'm a Sim addict lol

Jenn-love your story! So sorry for what you are going through, but you sound like a very strong woman. I understand somewhat your feelings, as I am only 38 and disabled by many health problems. (((hugs)))
  • Options
    soniccrazy4soniccrazy4 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited August 2012
    My name is really not that interesting. :roll: The sonic bit is the name of my little sisters pet gerbil and the crazy bit comes from the fact I am a bit crazy/random. I have absolutely no idea where the 4 came from it's just a random number. I normally add numbers to the end of my usernames because sometimes people already have the username I want but I doubt that anybody else would want to call themselves soniccrazy. :lol::lol:

There are some very interesting names with very interesting stories behind them it is very interesting to know them.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited August 2012
    Back in the 80ies there was this computer magazine in Germany. They had a cute little bat and were looking for a name. Crinrict was something I just made up out of nowhere cause I thought it sounded appropriate for the bat.

Of course they chose something easy to remember cutesy type of thing (I forgot what it was) so when I was looking for name for a Sims 2 forum, I decided to re-use that.

Story behind my Ava: I then thought of course I need a bat as an ava but at that forum I was registering someone already had a bat as theirs so I thought, what would be more appropriate than a springboard diver (as most of you know, I do springboard diving myself, not very good but it's still the best sport in the world) so I was looking around the net and the little guy just caught my eye.

Today he has become my association and I feel really bad about that because although I still love the little guy, he has two major drawbacks.

1. Everyone that first reads my posts thinks I'm male
    2. I never feel comfortably using him cause someone made him and I have no clue who that is. I tried so many thing so to actually find out who made it and if it's ok when I continue to use him but I was not able to re-find him. If anyone know anything about my ava, please let me know.

Love everyone's story
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Would you believe I have forgotten where my username came from? I sure its a good story though. I will ask my husband, maybe he remembers although I have used it for so long he has probably forgotten too.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited August 2012
    HessethRan wrote:
    Did you ever fish the murloc coin from the Dalaran fountain? It made me feel so bad for all the murlocs I've massacred :lol:

Smash, it was the girl who killed the English girl in Italy.

Oh yes, her. I think I've only seen her once, but now I live in England, so I'll probably never see her.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    HessethRan wrote:
    I'm sorry if my brain makes weird connections (friends used to tease me about it), but something else I'm interested in is a murder case involving a Seattle resident. But I think most people would prefer that the connection died already, considering the awful things this person did and the media circus fueled by her family.

is it the case where the guy ended up doing terrible things to himself and the kids?

That was awful. I could not believe how that played out.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I have always been rednotdead on whichever forum I go on, but that was taken here so I added the Ms as at the time I wasnt married lol. But why Red Not Dead?

While at work one day, I was taking a break (it had been rather hectic) sitting there with my eyes closed not really taking much in. Being a redhead, my nickname at work was Red.....you can probably guess the rest.....My boss yelled across the romm at me 'Hey Red are you dead?' I mumbled back 'Red Not Dead, you work me too hard so I havent got time to die'

This made me giggle! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    edited August 2012
    This is an interesting thread!

I had no idea that I would ever be using these forums, so I wasn't really thinking that I would need a username that represents me. After trying a few things that were already taken, I looked around the room for inspiration and there was a carved walking stick (from my boyfriend's travels) in the corner. Unsurprisingly no one had taken that name :roll: Now that I had a username I needed an avi. I looked through the default ones and saw this old man and thought he suited the name walkingstick!

However, most people now assume I'm an old man. I'm actually a 37 year old woman. I will eventually change the avi but I must admit that I've become a bit attached to my old man walkingstick persona. I think it makes me a bit memorable as there aren't many old men on here! I'll be a bit sad to see him go!
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I had no idea that I would ever be using these forums, so I wasn't really thinking that I would need a username that represents me. After trying a few things that were already taken, I looked around the room for inspiration and there was a carved walking stick (from my boyfriend's travels) in the corner. Unsurprisingly no one had taken that name :roll: Now that I had a username I needed an avi. I looked through the default ones and saw this old man and thought he suited the name walkingstick!

However, most people now assume I'm an old man. I'm actually a 37 year old woman. I will eventually change the avi but I must admit that I've become a bit attached to my old man walkingstick persona. I think it makes me a bit memorable as there aren't many old men on here! I'll be a bit sad to see him go!

I remember how surprised I was to find out that you are a woman! But then, now that I think about it, we can't take everyone's avatars at face value. I mean gr1zzly is not actually a dog and Joolster is not really a kitty. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    gr1zzlygr1zzly Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited August 2012
    aricarai wrote:
    I remember how surprised I was to find out that you are a woman! But then, now that I think about it, we can't take everyone's avatars at face value. I mean gr1zzly is not actually a dog and Joolster is not really a kitty. :mrgreen:

You are right about me not being a dog.
    I'm actually a BEAR.... :lol:
  • Options
    skdluzakskdluzak Posts: 1,241 New Member
    edited August 2012
    So interseting to see how everyone came up with their names....
    mine is really boring. When i started college they used my first and middle initial and my last name S.K.Dluzak Even though I was married eight years ago and this is no longer my name, this has always been my login for everything.... when I came here I was only planning on registering games to get the free content and did not intend to visit the forums..... so i really didnt put any thought into it. This is what I always use so its easy to remember.... When Sims4 launches be expecting something far more interseting ;)
  • Options
    skdluzakskdluzak Posts: 1,241 New Member
    edited August 2012
    gr1zzly wrote:
    aricarai wrote:

You are right about me not being a dog.
    I'm actually a BEAR.... :lol:

lolol your a woman??? Wow, i really thought you were a guys shows what I know lol
  • Options
    GoddessHekateGoddessHekate Posts: 1,517 Member
    edited August 2012
    This thread is very enlightening! Now I will be sure not to guess the gender based on username or avatar picture!

:D I love hearing everyone's stories.
  • Options
    YumishiYumishi Posts: 20,954
    edited August 2012
    mines not really that intresting compared to everyone elses. I study Japanese and love the culture, it's also my dream to go there one day. I'm also a Goth so I wanted a representation of my darker side as well. so I chose Yumishi- Yu is spelt with Kanji that means 'bow' it can also mean 'friend', 'mi' means beutiful...a word I often think of when I think of Japan. Shi respresents my Gothic side since shi means 'four' which is an unlucky number it also means 'Death'. so that's it really...nothing that earth shattering. :)

(sorry for the bad spelling..)
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited August 2012
    My username is the same as that on an art site. When I registered there all of the variations of "Julia" I could think of were taken, and I'm not really the one to add numbers or random letters nor do I have a "roleplaying" username. After all of the "Ju" versions failed I moved onto "Joo". Then I added the "-ter" to the ending because I couldn't think of anything else to add that wouldn't render the first portion of the name unrecognizable.

When registering for the Sims 3 website I was tempted to use the name of my warlock of WoW but it was a silly name, so I chose to use the same one as on the art site.
  • Options
    ferret_huggerferret_hugger Posts: 36 New Member
    edited August 2012
    My username lacks a very exciting story, at least on paper. I got a ferret a few years ago, and she been my "pride and joy" ever since. So that inspired the username Ferret_Hugger.
  • Options
    JoolsterJoolster Posts: 6,417 Member
    edited August 2012
    aricarai wrote:
    I mean gr1zzly is not actually a dog and Joolster is not really a kitty. :mrgreen:

:lol:

I used to have a default avi of that pretty blonde girl that a lot of people use for like 3 years because I never used the forums. I only made posts if I had technical difficulties. Then when I came back the website was transitioning into the era of the current MyPage and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to change my avi, since I had some sims in my studio. Then some months later I finally figured it out, made a sim for my cat and have been using that since.
  • Options
    SmilzPrettySmilzPretty Posts: 5,143 Member
    edited August 2012
    stikystuff wrote:
    There are some really amazing stories coming onto this thread and I am ready all of them. It seems everyone has a story to share regarding their chosen name and it's great to be able to learn a little more about everyone. Plus now I know where all your names originated and how personal they truly are.

Lol your siggy looks like it says stiky's tuff :D:wink:
    GznnJ.gif <--- Click (right clicking doesn't count as a click)
    Acts 20:35- it IS more blessed to give than to receive
  • Options
    SmithMarshSmithMarsh Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited August 2012
    My first sim's last name was Marsh, my first sim family's name was Smith. Neither one of them are anywhere close to my real name. I didn't intend on ever posting, and when I did, at first I wished I had picked a cute name like everybody else. Then my friends nicknamed me and it didn't matter.

What did your friends nickname you? :D

• Options
    goddess0676smgoddess0676sm Posts: 3,330 Member
    edited August 2012

I love your name and your avi. I followed your guess who I am game long ago. It was so fun and interesting. Who is the mysterious simmer??? I would hate to see your avi go, but I understand wanting something more representative.
  • Options
    AmagirlAmagirl Posts: 2,525 Member
    edited August 2012
    I made up my username on another game called LOTRO. my name on that was amadell. I decided to keep the ama bit and since i'm not a boy ^.^ I went with Amagirl. Not very interesting story but...yea..

I think I originally chose something else on lotro but it was already taken and suggested amadell
  • Options
    RockleyfamilyRockleyfamily Posts: 5,730 Member
    edited August 2012
    Aw I love all these stories! I've always wondered where some of the names came from, now I know :)

Mine is similar to SmithMarsh. When I played Sims2 on playstation, my sims always had the surname Rockley. Then when I started playing sims3 I used the Rockley family quite a bit too. It's not my real name though, it's nothing like it. I have no idea where I thought of it in the first place.
    I don't play any Rockleys anymore at all which makes my name a bit pointless now...