Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really? Realism?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    StacieBeeStacieBee Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2009
    My thoughts are this -
    The Sims is a simulator. It's not a game (in my opinion). In a game, you level up, you improve, you're challenged by the computer and you have a risk of dying and being sent back to previous levels or the start.

In The Sims, yes there is a risk of dying but, you carry on regardless with the other sims you are playing. If you're not playing other sims, you can return to a point before your sim dies and prevent it from happening (if you save accordingly). Heck, you can prevent any of your sims from dying, ever. They do earn rewards and bonuses for how you play and how they live their lives but there is no "end game".

So, like I said, The Sims is not a game in the traditional sense of the word. It is a real life simulator. It's no different to Second Life aside from the fact that there is no online interaction with other players as you play and there is no way to actually earn money in The Sim world that can be transferred to the real world.

Also, I take offence to the notion that just because it's not how you(this isn't directed at anyone in particular) want to play the game, that these options shouldn't be available for everyone. (Ok, I don't really take offence to it, I just think it's a very superior and closed-minded way of looking at it). This "game" is supposed to be a sandbox of goodies. "Anything is possible" - Well, right now, that's not true, and to be fair, it never will be, but what's wrong with wanting to post a suggestion about how to broaden the horizon?

I really don't think there is anything wrong with wanting or hoping for more realistic interactions. I do agree that adding things such as shaving leg hair, doing the laundry and mowing the lawn would add more frustration to those who feel that something like just cooking dinner takes far too long in a sims day as it is.

My solution is this, add as much realism to this "game" as possible. If that includes adding lawn mowers and stubble then so be it. Give us options when entering a household, such as : What level of realism would you like to encounter? Very real? Moderately real? Incredibly fantastical?
    Obviously, "very real" would allow all of these issues (grass gets overgrown, no clean clothes left, etc) to crop up from time to time. "Moderately real" would perhaps have the same interactions available as there are now and "incredibly fantastical" might be even simpler to play, perhaps your sim would only need to sleep for 4 hours a night to give you more time in the day to do things you enjoy. This option could be benefical to those who are just starting out and need to get adjusted to the playstyle without feeling disheartened that all they seem to do is eat, sleep and go to work.

Finally, I accept that the original post-writer is complaining (if that's the right word to use) about how whiney and impatient these posts can sound, and that is a very valid point. I think any posts that complain or strive to suggest better options should always be patient and never involve the tag-line "I hate EA because...". I'm only posting this comment here as it seems many people who have replied to ths thread seem to be hijacking the idea that this is a game and any more suggestions to make it real are not valid. Well I think they're wrong.

I am not some child who has no idea what the real world is like. Yet, I still favour the idea of having the option to choose to have more realism in my Sims experience, over having nothing new added at all.

Stacie.
  • Options
    ShaunaRShaunaR Posts: 102 New Member
    edited August 2009
    As for the leg hair suggestion, maybe it can be added when we get a weather expansion pack. You know, growing the winter coat and all.

But seriously, I agree that suggestions can be taken seriously if posted with thought and consideration for the creators of the content. P*🐸🐸🐸🐸 anyone off by calling them stupid because they didn't add the ONE thing that would make your game perfect is not going to get you your way.

Personally, I would hate to have my sims do laundry, mow the lawn or anything like that. How miserable!

My suggestions would be to add some of the stuff we had in TS2 expansion packs, namely the OFB and Apartment Life. Those were my faves.
  • Options
    weidenwindeweidenwinde Posts: 78 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Well said, StacieBee!

The Sims is a game or a simulator that can be played in many ways. Some players like realism, some like semi-realism, others want fantasy and magic. And ALL of us are equally right! It is not for anyone to say how others should play. As long as anyone can select to use only those options and features that suit them, I see nothing against added realism. There should be some sort of tick boxes to enable/disable features, like those for aging and story progression:
    _ dirty clothes (clothes become dirty after a few day's use - need to do laundry)
    _ growing grass (need to mow the lawn to keep it short)
    _ growing beard/hair (need to shave regularly to keep the style)
    etc. etc.

Btw, in RL (which I do have), I drink very little alcohol, I never smoke and I hate house chores, but I still would like to have these things in the game. I understand that the age rating does now allow everything, but I find it a bit ridiculous that in TS3 I am not allowed even to imagine my adult sims drinking alcohol... Fr comparison, in TS1 the bar was simply a bar and not a Juice Bar, and the interaction was called "have a drink" instead of "drink juice"...
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think what makes Sims so appealing to a wide variety of people is the multitude of ways one can play the game. So if you want to play it realistically, fantasy or just plan off the wall crazy you can.
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    edited August 2009
    Yep the Sims 3 is for entertainment and that I find its doing its job very well.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    ShellbyFayShellbyFay Posts: 288 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I agree with you all.

There are some things that happen IRL that would be interesting in the sims, but people should wait for them to be included in ep's instead of demanding for them in updates!
    I'd rather the ep's took ages to be created and where a big advance on the ep's we had for TS and TS2. I think TS3 has given us a whole new look at how great the sims series can be, and I'm expecting the same quality in the ep's.
    But if they were filled with all this rubbish people are suggesting I'd be appalled at EA!

Who wanted to have their sims shave legs? Mow the lawn and do laundry?
    I hate all those chores IRL and for my sims to suddenly have to do it, I'd cry! I think it would put me off playing the game completely. I play the sims to have fun with what, I often wish, was reality. And I think im not alone on that one!

The way you can just get a job with one or two clicks, not have to do major house chores and not having to take all these exams and stuff like that is a huge relief in the game. If my sim teens had to take end of school exams and driving lessons, I'd be bored in seconds.

It's a game and, for me personally, it's real enough. The ep's can include more reality to extent; but all these rediculous suggestions should not (and i doubt they will) be included :!: :!: :!:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    weidenwindeweidenwinde Posts: 78 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ShellbyFay: it is not very nice or wise calling people weird just because you don't happen to like their ideas :roll:. Did you even read the last few comments?
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited August 2009
    Bring back Plantsims .

I know they were not realistic but they were fun to play simply because they never needed to eat sleep and pee .

Having said that i realise that The Sims is a LIFE simulator and I for one wouldnt want the eating sleeping etc taken from the game but there has to be a limit between making it a computerised dolls house and a fun game that millions love to play .

Whilst there are certain aspects of the game that i have no interest in like collecting rocks constantly , I realise that other people love that part of it and as long as there is enough to keep me interested ,which the sims has done non stop since i bought TS1 when it was first released then I can put up with most things that are added into the game .
    On the whole i think EA do a pretty good job of the sims and the new bits they normally think up each EP to keep us playing it .
    If people want lawn mowers/washing machines etc then fine as long as the game doesnt become a sim daily round of chores and as long as there is plenty of other things i can do instead . Let them add those for people who want their sims to do that and maybe get a little mood boost if its a sim trait they chose to be house proud as long as there is something else i can have my sim do that will give me as much fun .
  • Options
    ShellbyFayShellbyFay Posts: 288 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ShellbyFay: it is not very nice or wise calling people weird just because you don't happen to like their ideas :roll:. Did you even read the last few comments?

Haha, sorry. I just got into a rant too much. I tend to do that.
    And no I didnt read all of them.

Okay, so yes other people may like those ideas - fair enough, but I was just trying to put forward that I really dont want those ideas in the sims, in my opinion it would ruin the game.
    I share the same opinion as the person who started this thread. (sorry forgotten the name.)
    I just have a very forward and snappy way of putting up my opinion. Aplogies if I offended anybody though, I really didnt mean too. :(
  • Options
    cheddarfish6cheddarfish6 Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2009
    Lol i think it would be funny watching a sim mow a lawn. It would be even funnier if they rode it on one of the lawn mowers that are like tractors almost. :lol::lol::lol:

-Cheddar :wink:
  • Options
    amakachaoamakachao Posts: 422 New Member
    edited August 2009
    RANT>>
    the only constant complaint i can't stand seeing is, "why doesn't the car back out of the drive way and they walk to it and get in and start the car... blah blah blah" It would be yet another waste of time animation that wouldn't even WORK if you had a non-traditional house. Not all houses have driveways, not everyone backs out into the street --in real life-- so making it so every time you build a sim house you MUST place the parking space in such a way that it won't completely eff up traffic is an unneccesary restriction on an already difficult-to-innovate playing field.
    <<RANT

Sorry for the rant.

I like the suggestions that people post that seem to easy to implement and create more __immersion__ not more action queue clutter. Giving sims more social interaction when they are under young-adult age is one constant suggestion that I champion every chance I get. (see, just did it again)

I agree with you completely. And as far as a real life simulator argument, lets be completely honest, this is an ideal humonoid utopian existence in Sunset Valley and Riverview.

This is not real gritty life, nor would any of us WANT it to be. Even those players that do want to mow the lawn and what not, don't want to be mugged, assaulted, come down with a std, have sims born with terminal illnesses, give the parent sims the ability to abuse the child sims... and all the rest of what makes up ACTUAL human life.
  • Options
    AllergatorAllergator Posts: 42 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I generally agree with this.
    I sometimes think some of the CC is way to realistic for my taste... which is why I'm very picky about what I download. I suppose that's a whole other discussion though.
  • Options
    mofursmofurs Posts: 87 New Member
    edited August 2009
    kwillag wrote:
    In my opinion, Realism has ruined TS3, were are the fantasy elements (elf ears anyone). They should have added key features such as weather and the option to swim in ocean, and other things to complete a sense of realism, but they seem to be short sighted in that respect. I like the bizarre side of the Sims games, but laundry, mowing lawns etc. that's taking things too far.

Elf ears are real! My brother has one, well not a real elf ear but half his ear was bitten off in a fight and it looks like an elf ear. Back on task here though, dunno if realism ruined TS3. This forum is for brainstorming idea's and even some of the things you listed can be fun and comical. I will tell you two real life stories that involve the very two examples you used in this post.

When I was 5 or 6 I had a little dog named Chu Chu. Every day I would take her for a walk. Well one day I was taking her out the back door when I noticed the open dryer. Being the dunce I am I crawled inside and tried to spin it. Next thing I know Chu Chu jumped up and hit the door and it shut. Dryers back then weren't like what you see today, they locked. So there I was stuck in the dryer in the middle of summer no less. Luckily my mother found me before I died, she says when she got to me I was just limp in her arms. It was so scary that to this day I refuse to do laundry. :mrgreen:

My brother used to mow his grandma's yard when he was a teenager. Her house was on a hill so naturally there was a steep grade that he was mowing on. He was mowing down the grade and went to turn the riding lawn mower flipped onto its side. As it did so he planted his feet and he heard a ripping sound. Looking down to his dismay his pants were torn and there was blood. He ended up going to the hospital to get stitches in a rather sensitive place but he was left in tact. :shock:

I can see where it may seem dull to people when they think of mowing the yard or doing laundry, but trust me fun, adventure, and danger can be found everywhere. :lol:
  • Options
    LostGuyLostGuy Posts: 61 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I see a connection with the lawn-mowing, laundry, and shaving to the way sims handels time. If you've ever asked yourself why does my sim take five seconds to walk down the hallway- well its because they have to shave their legs while they walk.

If (and its a big if) you really wanted all these items to be included in the game, you would either have to slow down the clock considerably or speed up all the animations. I think most people wouldn't like either of these. The better solution is to cut out certian chores, that most people won't miss.
  • Options
    ArchitektinArchitektin Posts: 1,242 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Tenshi3 wrote:
    and smoking? IT KILLS YOU!

it won´t kill pixels! :twisted:

tsk, surely you've heard of pixel cancer. It's a major killer you know. Lots of smoking graphics cards develop it quite quickly 8)

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL! thanks a bunch for the good laugh, also opmystik, that was really funny :D (sry, i don´t know how to quote more than 1 post ;-))

@ Ceeecee3: "Who cares? People can express whatever they want for the
    game, it doesn't mean they are going to get it.
    So if they want leg hair, armpit hair (LOL idk) it wont
    matter to the people making the games."

this is definitely NOT TRUE! just think of the single-parents we had before patch 1.3 - this was removed cause some simmers were whining about such bad things like single parents. oh well, what is wrong about it? can´t our sims not just have one-night-stands without falling in love? haha, don´t argue it be too realistic :D
  • Options
    FaellenFaellen Posts: 154 New Member
    edited August 2009
    this is definitely NOT TRUE! just think of the single-parents we had before patch 1.3 - this was removed cause some simmers were whining about such bad things like single parents. oh well, what is wrong about it? can´t our sims not just have one-night-stands without falling in love? haha, don´t argue it be too realistic :D

Hehe, actually that was more to do with the fact that the children were clones of the one parent with no second biological parent whatsoever, which certainly isnt realistic :P

Honestly though, I'm more into magic/fantasy and the humour that the game puts into everything, doing chores would get boring fast IMO. Like others have said, its a game but unlike alot of games the playstyle can differ greatly depending on what you want from it. They really need to release an ep to do with fantasy and magic (something alot of people want) and then perhaps an ep that adds more realistic stuff to the game (like chores)

I do agree though that shaving, laundry and mowing the lawn would get tedious and annoying. The thing that annoys me most has gotta be the amount of posts suggesting that sims should get serious illnesses and disabilities though :S
  • Options
    simsgal2227simsgal2227 Posts: 12,279 Member
    edited August 2009
    People, people, people! In order to have more realism, it doesn't necisarily mean that we need more chores in the game! There are some, OMG, FUN things that could add some realism to sims 3 (maybe some nature paths which could count for excercise and FUN when they're walking). What about an actual purpose to those awesome botancal gardens that people made, there could be an option to walk through botanical garden where they'll have lots of FUN while doing it. What about sims picking wildflowers and putting them in a vase (the wildflowers would grow back). Maybe these aren't the best ideas ever, but surely there are some other possibilities that could make realism fun rather than a tedious chore.

But maybe SOME chores wouldn't be so bad (overall, I'm on the fence to this whole concept) maybe sims could vacume and dust (O{TIONAL!) and get a positive moodlet when they're in the room when they're done. Also, the gardeners could be brought back to garden and mow the lawn (again, optional for another positive moodlet). Your rich sim's maid's could now DO something other than washing dishes, making beds, mopping, taking out the garbage and stuff.

When you think about realism in sims, think outside the box. Not everything about RL is a chore!
  • Options
    BcoolbyteBcoolbyte Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Actually, I think lawn mowing should be in the game.

Think about it, you already have gardening, and keeping the grass cut can be a large part of that. You could even turn it into a part-time job, as for many people this is the first proper job they have.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bump
  • Options
    Jenja223Jenja223 Posts: 23 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Why get annoyed that a certain percentage of the people want and are asking for more realism? We all know that content like that is never going to come out in a patch, it would be in an EP - which, as always, is optional. I really don't see any harm in it should EA decide to produce a chore/realism based EP because unlike the base game(where you have no control over the content) each of us can make the choice to buy it or not.

Nod and smile, or turn a blind eye to the posts that you disagree with rather than working yourself up(which is required to post about said posts) over something trivial as this :/
  • Options
    TimBitTimBit Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2009
    Jenja223 wrote:
    Why get annoyed that a certain percentage of the people want and are asking for more realism? We all know that content like that is never going to come out in a patch, it would be in an EP - which, as always, is optional. I really don't see any harm in it should EA decide to produce a chore/realism based EP because unlike the base game(where you have no control over the content) each of us can make the choice to buy it or not.

Nod and smile, or turn a blind eye to the posts that you disagree with rather than working yourself up(which is required to post about said posts) over something trivial as this :/

There we go! Put all those realisms into a mini EP. Therefor, the people who want it can buy it and get their version of fun, while others who want to stay in the more fantasy based aspect just don't have to buy it. Sounds like a win/win, maybe. At least two groups will be reasonably happy and EA brings more of the money they love, in.

I'd buy it...

lol.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bump