The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mountain Lion is out.....do I even dare purchase it? lol

Hi All,

Just wondering, I was one of the people affected last year when Lion 10.7.2 came out and the sims looked "funny" for months....I'm always afraid to update my game now because of that incident (scarred for life lol) but I was wondering if anyone has had success playing the sims 3 with Mountain Lion?

I currently have the Sims 3, Sims 3 Ambitions, Sims 3 Town Life, Sims 3 Generations, Sims 3 Late Night, Sims 3 Pets and Sims 3 Showtime

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    codywilliamscodywilliams Posts: 474 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I never upgraded to Lion because of compatibility and stayed with Snow Leopard. However, a recent Macworld email I received had a list of the programs, games, etc. that were compatible and incompatible with the new Mountain Lion and according to that list, The Sims 3 had some issues with it. Unless that has changed since that list was published, I don't know.
  • Options
    Eddie52Eddie52 Posts: 47 New Member
    edited July 2012
    I installed Mountain Lion this Morning, haven't had a chance to test the sims, will update once i do =)
  • Options
    JenniferW23JenniferW23 Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    I was just about to download Mt. Lion when I thought about The Sims 3. I have enough problems with The Sims on a Mac already without upgrading to the new OS until I know it's compatible. I'll be watching this thread with interest hoping somebody knows more about it than I do (and that wouldn't take much knowing). :D
  • Options
    bjorkmickbjorkmick Posts: 18 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hi All,

Just played Sims 3 after upgrading to Mountain Lion and seemed to be no known problems so far, was playing for about 30 minutes seemed to run smoothly on my 2011 Macbook Pro ;)
  • Options
    TamiBxTamiBx Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I was about to upgrade too, when I remembered about The Sims 3. I know that only Macbook Pros with certain graphic cards(NVIDIA GeForce 320M being one of them) had problems when they upgraded to Lion, so I'm a little afraid to upgrade now.
  • Options
    Eddie52Eddie52 Posts: 47 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hey I'm back.

So after playing the Sims 3 with mountain lion installed, i can report back that the game ran smoothly for me.

Of course there were the issues I had since before even Lion came out, some of those are still around. Overall though Mountain Lion didnt add any new problems for me. Game ran smoothly for about the hr and a half i played =)

Hope things go well for you guys too =) because honestly Mountain Lion is awesome!
  • Options
    OlEopiaOlEopia Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I got Mountain Lion and tried playing the Original Sims 3 with no expansion and when I started the game I didn't have the on-screen menu nor could I find my person. Im talking to the trouble shooter now....(Late 2011 IMac)
  • Options
    Selene_xxSelene_xx Posts: 133 Member
    edited July 2012
    I'm having a internal dilemma. On the one hand I could install Mountain Lion and risk it with my game (Hello back ups!) But my parents have hinted at upgrading my Late 2009 Unibody Macbook for a second hand Macbook Pro by the end of the summer (finances depending).

I think if it wasn't such a low price I would be fine with waiting but at just £20 I'm finding it very difficult to hold back. I'll be following this thread eagerly to see how people fair.

I should note that I've been unbelievably fortunate with my laptop as I've had barely any issues with my game whatsoever. The only problem I've had was the initial problem with updating Sims 3 to work with Lion
  • Options
    HedwigTheWhiteHedwigTheWhite Posts: 112 Member
    edited July 2012
    Hello everyone, apparently I'm having the same dilemma as most of you :)
    as I bought my iMac after June 11th, I'm supposed to download Mountain Lion for free, so I asked for the code. In the meanwhile, however, I want to make sure that the sims 3 will work fine...I don't want to wait for months before a patch is released :(
    so..has anyone tried the game on ML on a mid 2011 iMac? it's i5, 4 gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics..
    thank you ^_^
    I wouldn't bother buying the new OS this soon, but since I should have it for free..I really hope there won't be issues with the game :)
    The Love Legacy blog: hedwigthewhiteslegacies.blogspot.co.uk
    The Love Legacy forum page: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/566914/the-love-legacy
  • Options
    TailfinzTailfinz Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2012
    I want SO badly to install Mountain Lion, but the memory of last summer and being unable to play for weeks after installing Lion keeps me from seriously considering it. Currently my game is running perfectly fine with all expansion packs on my 2009 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, I have everything just the way I want it so it is just not worth the risk of
    screwing it all up just to have the "latest and greatest". I guess I will just keep reading the posts here until someone can convince me that it is safe to proceed.....even if it takes me until winter and beyond.
  • Options
    Watergirl4556Watergirl4556 Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    hi i have mountion lion works perfectly some old glitches but no new ones
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Good evening everyone, hope you're all doing well.

As mentioned earlier I installed Mountain Lion today. Firstly, it's lovely. I would recommend it, but onto what we're all here for.

I'm running a Late 2009 White Unibody Macbook with a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB video card and 4GB of memory. I also have all EP's and SP's installed as well as various store items so my game has a habit of lagging a bit. I made sure to free up my memory and close all apps before starting up my game. The launcher loaded as usual, the game itself loaded at about the same speed as it usually does, which for machine probably isn't as fast as other's but it took around 2-3 minutes. Once my save file had loaded up and the mods I have installed had settled my game ran perfectly fine, in fact, it might have been running faster than usual. I haven't had a chance to play it for any longer than ten minutes yet but it's a far cry to how my machine reacted to the Lion switch last year which had my game completely out of action til the patch came out.

So I would say that while it's still a risk, it seems unlikely that your game will get pretty borked if my machine can handle it! Best of luck!
  • Options
    antman101antman101 Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2012
    Installed mountain lion, played plenty of hours of TS3 so far, not a single issue.
  • Options
    ItzmeeItzmee Posts: 2,729 Member
    edited July 2012
    It's great to hear that there aren't many new issues arising with Mountain Lion! My MBPr should arrive in the next few weeks (longer delays than expected), so I cannot wait to run the game on the new machine! I'll definitely keep an eye on how this thread develops! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    HedwigTheWhiteHedwigTheWhite Posts: 112 Member
    edited July 2012
    That's great news :) thank you!
    as soon as I get it as well I'll be back here to tell you how it works for me...
    The Love Legacy blog: hedwigthewhiteslegacies.blogspot.co.uk
    The Love Legacy forum page: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/566914/the-love-legacy
  • Options
    darksunprodarksunpro Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hello all! I also was wondering if The sims 3 would have any issues with Mountain lion.
    I took the risk anyway and downloaded and installed Mt Lion. I went from Snow leopard to Mt Lion and played the sims 3 with no issues at all.

Im running a Mid 2010 iMac with 3.06GHz intel core i3 processor, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB video card and 16GB of Memory. I have the original sims 3 with Late night expansion installed.

The game felt a slight faster loading up. And once it was running, the speed of the games animation was smooth and fluent just as it was playing on Snow leopard. So all in all, I would recommend Mt Lion if you want to upgrade! Basically Mt Lion is lions version of snow leopard. Very solid and great polished OS just like when Snow leopard came out.

Though a little warning that some MAY encounter when starting up the sims 3. When I first popped in the disc on my mac and started the game, at the saved file screen (where you select your sims to start playing) The game told me that it could not identify if the dics i was using was valid. And I couldn't play the game. But someone on a different forum suggested that when the intro video starts, you must click your mouse at the time when the girl in her Pj's is checking her self out in the mirror (after the kid congratulates the mother of being pregnant) and that issuse woun't be a problem. I didn't believe it at first, but I tried it and strangly...it did work! So I thought I would just throw that info in this reply incase anyone ran into this issue. Until EA decides to release an Update for Mt Lion. But as of now, The game runs perfectly fine! :)
  • Options
    itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited August 2012
    I'm using Mountain Lion on a mid 2010 13" MPB, and for me, my issues that I had with the 1.34 patch (never ending battle with disc authorisation error) have just come back again. With the 1.36 patch, it had disappeared to SOME extent (only popping up once, reload, it's gone) but now with ML I can get no further than the menu... and even my launcher is crashing with debug errors.

I would say no to upgrading to ML though... although I really do like ML... but I've always had issues with sims :(
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    AnnsleyAnnsley Posts: 50
    edited July 2012
    Can anyone running the game with an Intel HD 3000 card confirm ML compatibility?
  • Options
    mattdude411mattdude411 Posts: 108 Member
    edited July 2012
    I don't think I'm getting Mountain Lion for a while, I absolutely hated waiting for an update to come out so my Sims wouldn't look like androids. Since Mountain Lion does work, try not to update it if they release any more updates for a while just in case something bad happens. I don't want to go through this again.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Okay, I've been playing some more and after about 2 hours gameplay I can safely say that there aren't any issues. I did see the return of a glitch where pets momentarily glitch and look very strange and distorted, but it happened just once and even then it only lasted about a second. Personally it's not something that bothers me too much but others might find it annoying.

As far as lag is concerned, my laptop has always had issues with it but I can't see any differences between playing with Lion vs Mountain Lion.
  • Options
    PobblebonkPobblebonk Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a the newest macbook pro and updated to Mountain Lion tonight. So far I've had no success getting the sims to work at all, I get an exception error instead. I've tried four times but I'm giving up for now and will try again in the morning so that the system's had a bit of time to get used to the update, but if that doesn't work I'm going to wait until a new game patch or something is released.
  • Options
    featherfulfeatherful Posts: 445 New Member
    edited July 2012
    no problems with lion so far, but my pets are still not fuzzy......
  • Options
    MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    edited July 2012
    I don't know because I don't play the sims 3 on OS X anymore. I put bootcamp on my dad's 15" 2009 MacBook Pro so I could play the game on Windows 7. now it runs amazingly and it hasn't crashed once in the three months since I've been playing under bootcamp. its quicker to save, load, the graphics look great, it doesn't lag, etc. but on OS X it took a LONG time to save, load, it crashed, it lagged, I had to have the graphics on low, etc.

so anyway, my point to telling you this is, I would recommend that you play on Windows 7 via bootcamp. it really has been so much better for me. and, one of the best parts is, the dogs and cats are fluffy. 8)
    44444.gif
  • Options
    Dawid9089Dawid9089 Posts: 413 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Whats mountain lion :O ?
  • Options
    dramaattinenpyllydramaattinenpylly Posts: 18
    edited July 2012
    Works fine with my new iMac with Mountain Lion! No problems (or should I say; no NEW problems..)
    Still I can't find my screenshots from launcher (on my other computer (Leopard) pics works fine), but that was since Lion..

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
    4 Gt 1333 MHz:n DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 Mt