Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TSR preventing your Launcher uploads?

aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
I had finally decided on what new avatar I was going to use and was mentally preparing myself for the trouble I was no doubt going to have to endure uploading it. Little did I know, I had unintentionally set myself up for 110% failure by making a most lethal decision:

These shoes.
ngtsif.jpg

I know, I bet you are thinking.. "wow aarin, those shoes are cute." I thought the same until after about three dozen copies of my sim error'ing out, I decided that 14MBs for a sim was probably too much.

First I took off my sim's hair and replaced it with a default from the game, thinking "well, these conversions are pretty crap anyway. Probably bloated hair."

NEIN. TWAS NOT THE HAIR.

Then I thought it might have been my CC two-piece swimsuit so I changed to a default one-piece.

NEIN. TWAS NOT THE SWIMSUIT.

The only piece of the puzzle left were the cute slingbacks. So I changed them out for regular ol' default pumps.. and lo' and behold.

wv4ymo.jpg

I have nothing to say except.. if the launcher limits the certain size of uploads for a reason, what sort of ramifications does this cause in your own TS3 game?

I owe a gigantic apology to the launcher for assuming this was its fault.

Comments

• Options
    JerziJerzi Posts: 1,047 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The cute shoes are always the most painful (IRL and to your game).
  • Options
    Vietgirl_xoxoVietgirl_xoxo Posts: 7,142 Member
    edited August 2009
    I wear heels all the time, gotten pretty used to them already. 8)
  • Options
    poida217poida217 Posts: 2,872 Member
    edited August 2009
    13.5mb shoes?

Wow, they must be some pretty impressive shoes to warrant that much space.
    24891575472_e27b0a3fc3_o.gif
  • Options
    McbeanMcbean Posts: 2,551 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think those shoes are mules for drugs, yo.

Cheers.

Mcbean
  • Options
    LawertendLawertend Posts: 5,144 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Thank you for directing me to this thread.
    Was quite hilarious. :^
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    edited August 2009
    Some creators are getting better using the tool, they actually have been fixing their uploads by lowering the filesize with Sims3Packs using that tool.

The problem is other creators that are ignoring the compressing of files before exporting through the tool. I do tend to avoid those large files til the artist compress them, lots of tools to do the trick. I also comment on about it on the upload page.

Sad that TSR Workshop tool doesn't have a compression programmed in it. The ones using it are either ignoring the problem or don't care. Some that are ignoring it comes as a surprise cause they created for Sims 2 and know better.

Sorry for my rant. I am now studying the tools that can change Sims3Packs to .package files and I can truly have compressed files.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I was thinking about running the slingback sims3pack through the compressorizer programme, but wasn't sure what good it would do considering that perhaps the item itself is bloated in size.
  • Options
    karrizmakarrizma Posts: 252 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i got those on mts (in a three pack, round toe, open toe, and strappy) my avatar is wearing them in her formal wear outfit. my upload file was only 925 kb
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Those are different than the slingbacks I am using. The ones you are using I dislike because they cause the foot to look distorted or mutated. I do have them installed anyway, but intend to remove them when I have enough free time and attention span to do so.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:
    Those are different than the slingbacks I am using. The ones you are using I dislike because they cause the foot to look distorted or mutated. I do have them installed anyway, but intend to remove them when I have enough free time and attention span to do so.

oh haha i guess i didn't really pay that much attention. i just got them today...actually today i finally decided to start putting cc in my game, i've been waiting till there was more stuff i liked. the first things to go were definitely the skin and eyes. its funny to compare my original upload of my simself to the new and improved version, lol
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The plot thickens when you start to make your own default skin replacements. I'm currently using my own custom face file and intend to make a new body skin replacement when I have the time.

A lot of these skins are just too shiny (which in turn looks awful under most lighting in-game) or awkwardly done ("shrimp" back phenomena, weird behinds, etc.)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:
    The plot thickens when you start to make your own default skin replacements. I'm currently using my own custom face file and intend to make a new body skin replacement when I have the time.

A lot of these skins are just too shiny (which in turn looks awful under most lighting in-game) or awkwardly done ("shrimp" back phenomena, weird behinds, etc.)

so far i like my "less muscular asian skin" mainly because the default skin wouldn't go any paler and i'm quite pale irl (i'm german-irish so sun=bad with all my freckles, lol) and the default skin looked like plastic or putty depending on the sim. the fat sims looked like silly putty.

good luck with your creations...i've never made any cc of my own but i had a ton for ts2 and i expect to acquire oodles of cc for ts3 over time :)
  • Options
    makeitwork322makeitwork322 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited August 2009
    aarin wrote:

And this is why I don't use custom skins. I tried one like three weeks ago and hated how it looked like my Sim was dipped in a vat of oil. Ick.

But those shoes are very cute, even if they are deadly!
  • Options
    cupcakecupcake Posts: 5,097 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Those are some nice slingbacks.
  • Options
    xMaexxxMaexx Posts: 237 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Emigawd that's a huge filesize. I had to keep on taking things out from my avatar until I could get her under 800kb...anything else would give me an error message. I had to take off all of her accesories, makeup, and change all of her clothes to simple stuff with one or two color palettes and no custom patterns. I wanted to give her pretty hair and CC clothes, but right now her only CC is skin, eyes, and hair. But when I put her ingame she'll be covered in CC.
  • Options
    Panther00567Panther00567 Posts: 2,704 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I think there's some shoes like that over at MTS if I remember correctly... they'd probably work better because, well, TSR sux0rz.
  • Options
    theRealDeal09theRealDeal09 Posts: 4,549 Member
    edited August 2009
    Wow, that's crazy. But they are cute shoes! xD
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The newest ones at MTS are kinda clunky looking. :< But I guess beggars cannot be choosers.
  • Options
    makeitwork322makeitwork322 Posts: 559 New Member
    edited August 2009
    By the way, what happened to aarin's spectacles?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    They're on vacation so I can bask in the brilliance that is my custom face skin. D:
  • Options
    cool21games211cool21games211 Posts: 557 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I made a really pretty sim but when I try to upload her it wouldn't work.
    And this was after TSR downloads.
    TSR is mean and bad and does bad stuff to out games :)
    but you should be fine if you don't put any TSR downloads on your sim when you upload her
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited August 2009
    A difference of 13 MB ??? whoa

Even accounting for file decompression, what the heck is in that TSR file that could possibly bumping that thing up 13 MB? That looks awful fishy.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    knuckleknuckle Posts: 182 New Member
    edited August 2009
    your new sim is :shock: ... very lady like. i like the glasses look best though.
  • Options
    ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Zolt65 wrote:
    A difference of 13 MB ??? whoa

Even accounting for file decompression, what the heck is in that TSR file that could possibly bumping that thing up 13 MB? That looks awful fishy.

I agree.
    A difference of 13 MB does sound fishy. But TSR always has something fishy under their sleeves. :lol:

Looks like TSR needs to do some compressing. :P
  • Options
    unsecretcrushunsecretcrush Posts: 1,029 New Member
    edited August 2009
    It seems a happy coincidence that the expression on the Sim with the bloated shoes is the raised eyebrow "O RLY?" face.