Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speed Issues Make Game UNPLAYABLE - DO NOT BUY!!!

I bought and downloaded the Mac version of Sims 3 today and it is UNPLAYABLE.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY this game until you hear that the bug is fixed.

What happens is that on things like sleep, eating, etc... you have to live it "real time" because speed 2, 3 and 4 don't change a thing (it acts like normal speed).

This means a typical Sims day is like 30 minutes long if not longer. You cannot fast-forward through the slow parts.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• Options
    MikeMike Posts: 40 New Member
    edited June 2009
    majordude wrote:
    I bought and downloaded the Mac version of Sims 3 today and it is UNPLAYABLE.

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY this game until you hear that the bug is fixed.

What happens is that on things like sleep, eating, etc... you have to live it "real time" because speed 2, 3 and 4 don't change a thing (it acts like normal speed).

This means a typical Sims day is like 30 minutes long if not longer. You cannot fast-forward through the slow parts.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

If your high speeds are slow, it's probably because your Mac isn't very fast.

Some people are having problems with speed 4, because the game has too much to render to go really quickly, but speeds 2 and 3 work just fine.

It's certainly not a bug.
  • Options
    majordudemajordude Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Mike wrote:

Some people are having problems with speed 4, because the game has too much to render to go really quickly, but speeds 2 and 3 work just fine.

With all due respect, you are speaking out of ignorance.

I have a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM and a 7200 320GB HD. Search Google and there are about 715K pages about the "sims 3 speed control" issue. (http://boards.ign.com/the_sims/b5219/180933279/p1/?11 for example).
  • Options
    waferthinwaferthin Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you! I love these people who act like those of us who READ the specs and PAID for the game because our systems more than met the minimum requirements are in the wrong because our Macs aren't "fast enough." If it's not a bug and EA in fact designed the game for faster systems then they should have said so instead of stealing our money.
  • Options
    majordudemajordude Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    waferthin wrote:
    Thank you! ... instead of stealing our money.

I truly feel that EA went BACKWARDS on Sims 3. The game play is worse than the original Sims and this time/speed thing is the icing on the cake.
  • Options
    camilleone22camilleone22 Posts: 166 Member
    edited June 2009
    majordude wrote:
    waferthin wrote:
    Thank you! ... instead of stealing our money.

I truly feel that EA went BACKWARDS on Sims 3. The game play is worse than the original Sims and this time/speed thing is the icing on the cake.

I really think that this will be fixed though, because it doesn't do that when I play the game on my pc, so I'm thinking maybe it's just a problem with the mac version and they will hopefully have a patch out soon. It really is a fun game, I hope you get a chance to enjoy it. :)
  • Options
    ScraverXScraverX Posts: 762 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I haven't noticed a speed issue myself, but:

- I haven't had a reason to try running the game above regular speed
    - I must be old because I don't like rushing
    - I hit 'Pause' a lot to make sure I don't miss things
    - I must be old because I'm used to getting up and walking away and just letting things run (... Back in my day the games got faster to make them harder ...)
    - I know my MacBook doesn't have super amazing specs so I just cope :D
  • Options
    ContentContent Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I know it sounds like a bummer but turn your quality and stuff down a bit. It's a mac it's not going to handle everything. Cause I have 2.4 processor whatever and 2gb of ram and I'm not having a problem, laptop too I was surprised. You didn't mention what graphics card you have either.

Besides the disc is windows or mac so it's not a complete waste. One I buy / fix my pc I'm looking forward to turning all the graphics on full. ^^
  • Options
    eddieleddiel Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I think I kinda have the same problem. What i do to speed things up (through sleep, work, whatever). I zoom out of the lot and then zoom into an area where there isnt much to render, time then goes alot faster. But maybe this is m computer being slow!
  • Options
    SkywritingSkywriting Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2009
    This is clearly down to the individual user and their system.

On my Macbook I have no issue with the speed control whatsoever and am running it with high detail on textures and Sims. My spec is fairly modest: 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM.
  • Options
    mutelightmutelight Posts: 468 Member
    edited June 2009
    majordude wrote:
    Mike wrote:

With all due respect, you are speaking out of ignorance.

I have a 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM and a 7200 320GB HD. Search Google and there are about 715K pages about the "sims 3 speed control" issue. (http://boards.ign.com/the_sims/b5219/180933279/p1/?11 for example).

What is your graphics card though? That is the one (and one of the most important part) you conveniently left out. Speed 3 is blazing fast for me on my systems. Careful throwing around that word.
  • Options
    CRS77CRS77 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Not to mention the lack of anti-aliasing, no shadows (yes, in 2009!), and bad lighting effects, the game is coded horribly for OS X. You need a high-end system to run a game smoothly with graphics from 5 years ago. It's another bad Windows port that EA simply rushed out the door, knowingly.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    CRS77 wrote:
    Not to mention the lack of anti-aliasing, no shadows (yes, in 2009!), and bad lighting effects, the game is coded horribly for OS X. Even on higher end systems the speed is lousy. It's another bad Windows port that EA simply rushed out the door, knowingly.

Wow dude... again you start with this?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's a lousy product. Plain and simple. And it's unfinished.

That's right folks, hope you have a copy of XP or Vista lying around . . .
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well CRS77, I am sorry you are so inconceivably bored. From what we can all see, they are addressing it and you continually harp on it but to each his own, enjoy.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mutelight wrote:
    CRS77 wrote:
    Not to mention the lack of anti-aliasing, no shadows (yes, in 2009!), and bad lighting effects, the game is coded horribly for OS X. Even on higher end systems the speed is lousy. It's another bad Windows port that EA simply rushed out the door, knowingly.

Absolutely. Because YOU and ME, and every other Mac user got ripped off by EA. Had I known that the game would be released in this condition (had EA TOLD us there would be no anti-aliasing, shadows, etc., pretty essential stuff) I would have waited until it was fixed or not bought it at all. These aren't bugs. These are basic pieces that are missing. But they conveniently left out the fact that they (allegedly) chose to disable basic graphical options because they were too lazy to either get Transgaming's act together for them, or wait until it's done right. It's just plain laziness. But they just had to grab those first-day sales, right?

But a lot of the sheep around here are so taken with the whole notion of The Sims franchise that they're willing to happily accept getting the shaft by EA. With that kind of attitude, no wonder developers don't take the Mac platform seriously.
  • Options
    EmilyKateeeEmilyKateee Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a macbook for 2008.. that's a perfectly good laptop..
    But the graphics are awful, they're all fuzzy and pixelated
    .. the game runs so slow.. the "Ultra speed" 4 doesn't work at all and the fasted option is like normal time.. meaning i have to sit staring at the screen whilst my sim works/eats/sleeps.. for a good 10 minutes... even without the time problem the game is still slow for the fact it takes about a minute for an action to even register then it takes ages for it to happen.. it's as if it keeps freezing up.. and it's really difficult to move the camera.. i merely touch the edge of the screen with my mouse and i'm on the other side of town, but there's no other option.. there's less and uglier clothing/furniture etc. available in the game.. presumably to force you to buy from the store but even those clothes are awful too... all the controls and everything are so confusing and slow...
    The game is terrible compared to the sims 2.. i'm disappointed considering the hype that was made about its launch...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a macbook for 2008.. that's a perfectly good laptop..
    But the graphics are awful, they're all fuzzy and pixelated
    .. the game runs so slow.. the "Ultra speed" 4 doesn't work at all and the fasted option is like normal time.. meaning i have to sit staring at the screen whilst my sim works/eats/sleeps.. for a good 10 minutes... even without the time problem the game is still slow for the fact it takes about a minute for an action to even register then it takes ages for it to happen.. it's as if it keeps freezing up.. and it's really difficult to move the camera.. i merely touch the edge of the screen with my mouse and i'm on the other side of town, but there's no other option.. there's less and uglier clothing/furniture etc. available in the game.. presumably to force you to buy from the store but even those clothes are awful too... all the controls and everything are so confusing and slow...
    The game is terrible compared to the sims 2.. i'm disappointed considering the hype that was made about its launch...

TS3 isn't exactly optimized code to begin with. But what did you expect from another Transgaming/Cider Mac port? All of our games are ports from Windows platforms. There really isn't anything exclusive to the Mac anymore. The old Bungie/Marathon days are over. It was actually better in 1995 and thereabouts.

No shadows, no antialiasing, in 2009. You can be running a Mac Pro and the game will look like garbage. And that's the kind of rig you need for it to run at decent speeds with graphics that that would have looked dated 4 years ago. TS3 has a lousy rendering engine.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    CRS77 wrote:
    mutelight wrote:
    CRS77 wrote:

Absolutely. Because YOU and ME, and every other Mac user got ripped off by EA. Had I known that the game would be released in this condition (had EA TOLD us there would be no anti-aliasing, shadows, etc., pretty essential stuff) I would have waited until it was fixed or not bought it at all. These aren't bugs. These are basic pieces that are missing. But they conveniently left out the fact that they (allegedly) chose to disable basic graphical options because they were too lazy to either get Transgaming's act together for them, or wait until it's done right. It's just plain laziness. But they just had to grab those first-day sales, right?

But a lot of the sheep around here are so taken with the whole notion of The Sims franchise that they're willing to happily accept getting the shaft by EA. With that kind of attitude, no wonder developers don't take the Mac platform seriously.

You take it seriously enough for everyone, I can pretty much assure you that your diatribes aren't expediting something they are already working on or absolutely anything for that matter. It is not a matter of being a "sheep" it is matter of being realistic and not flipping out over something that is already being addressed. I have already told you that I am aggravated that the game isn't up to the same spec as the PC on day one but moaning about it on the forum (let alone in multiple threads) is not going to do absolutely anything when a fix is already being looked into and is well known by them, it is entirely counterproductive.
  • Options
    ScraverXScraverX Posts: 762 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm happy with the way it runs on my 2008/9 MacBook (stats in my finger)considering it wouldn't run at all on my PC even if I wanted to (not just the specs, it needs a complete reinstall). Once again I'll note that I know it doesn't have the amazingly best possible stats so when I play sims 3 it's the only application running. No im's, no email idling in the background, no web browser... of course my dinosaur, crochety old man, pc can still handle those things fine so I don't really need to have them running on my Mac while I play...
  • Options
    ABT123ABT123 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My sister runs hers on her new pc, I run mine on my new mac, and on neither the speed works. I think its a bug that needs to be fixed and not our computers. We tried it on our desktops (2) and laptops (3) and its the same with both discs on ALL of them
  • Options
    SeshanSeshan Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    After reading this thread, I am going to install it on bootcamp to see how much of a difference there is. But I really don't want to have to boot into boot camp all the time, that's one of the reasons why I bought this game because it was for the Mac.
  • Options
    KonnyKonny Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    We just have to install it on bootcamp! As Mac users we are used to getting the ugly end of the stick. I am running The Sims 3 on a late 2008 MacBook Pro (on the faster graphics card) - It runs conciderably slow and laggy on mac, but with the same specs it runs perfectly on bootcamp (Windows XP).

So if you want a smooth gameplay experience like The Sims 2, back to windows you go! (Even on powerful machines).

x Konny

• Options
    sicembearssicembears Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Skywriting wrote:
    This is clearly down to the individual user and their system.

On my Macbook I have no issue with the speed control whatsoever and am running it with high detail on textures and Sims. My spec is fairly modest: 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM.

So with that same logic it should be about the same at least on my 1 year old macbook pro with around the same specs. 2.4ghz core 2, 2 gb of ram... etc.

However you would be wrong. Well if you like to play the game less than 5 minutes you'd be fine. FYI turning down all the graphics and turning off all the sounds and forcing the resolution lower has no effect either.
  • Options
    mmc069mmc069 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2009
    My speeds work just fine. I have no issues with the game. And I love the Sims 3. I am very happy that I bought it.
  • Options
    sicembearssicembears Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2009
    mutelight wrote:
    Well CRS77, I am sorry you are so inconceivably bored. From what we can all see, they are addressing it and you continually harp on it but to each his own, enjoy.

Where is the thread or press release that states we know the Sims 3 is crap for many Mac users and they are sorry. Even with the delay of launch by 5+ months we were still not ready for the Mac users but we pushed it out anyway because we wanted to release on all platforms at once. Where is this so called acknowledgment that there is a problem?