Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else notice that Genetics seem to favour the Mother?

After noticing that four toddlers in a row looked exactly like their mother I got a little frustrated.

Does it have anything to do with the new patch...or am I the only one?

2 in game examples:

Daughter:
Screenshot-19.jpg

Mother:
Screenshot-32.jpg

Daughter:
Screenshot-1008.jpg

Mother:
Screenshot-975.jpg
Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]

Comments

• Options
    nikkitinanikkitina Posts: 1,359 New Member
    edited June 2012
    :shock: NO FAIR!!! Mine always favour their father. See.

screenshot_original.jpg

Can't count how many times this has happened. I want you're game for a change. :D
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited June 2012
    I can't say if this is true or not as I often have two fathers instead of a mother and a father ;)

• Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    edited June 2012
    Mikezumi wrote:
    I can't say if this is true or not as I often have two fathers instead of a mother and a father ;)

Bahahaha...this is true :wink:

@Nikkitina: :shock: Ok, I wonder if I have just been unlucky so far...
  • Options
    ChanticoChantico Posts: 793 Member
    edited June 2012
    Yes , I also have this issue. Although , in my latest family one of the girls looks exactly like her father and their son is a carbon copy of the mother :?
    "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
  • Options
    Shadowninja2Shadowninja2 Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited June 2012
    I have no idea. After playing for 3 generations, in my game, the child tends to favor the father. In the third generation, my girl finally shows a mix between her parents instead of looking like more of her father, like generation 2. I'm going to wait until the son grows into a teen because that's when you can really tell.

Grandfather
    14vr6fp.jpg

Father
    smccv8.jpg

Daughter
    t6z33s.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Huh...so I imagine it is different for everyone then. I was a little worried.

@the Simmer above me: I see what you mean...the father looks exactly like the grandfather.

I take it that genetics aren't as..diverse or as 50/50 as it was in the sims 2.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    The genetics are quite different to that of TS2. Although it isn't the best genetic system, I do find that when my sims are not clones of one or other parent, the ones that are a mixture of both are well worth the wait :D
  • Options
    peaceluverrpeaceluverr Posts: 1,497 Member
    edited June 2012
    I think the more genes the game is able to pick and choice from, the more different the children will look. In the first generation all my sims all looked alike and mostly like the mother.
  • Options
    2oo922oo92 Posts: 2,627 Member
    edited June 2012
    I've had this happen as well. I have a few pics here. I've had the same genetics for three generations.

Founder's wife
    Screenshot-4.jpg

Founder's third daughter not the other girls mother
    Screenshot-14.jpg

And finally the third generation. Her mother was actually a blonde, but she looks more like her grandmother. I'm going in a total different direction with the father hoping for different genetics. Their still infants now, but they have her skin tone. :?

Screenshot-33.jpg

Blue eyes and all just like her grandmother.
  • Options
    friohurfriohur Posts: 1,722 Member
    edited June 2012
    my one family with kids atm

my founder has blue skin, black hair and silver eyes
    her husband has normal skin tone, brown hair and bright aqua eyes

both kids got her blue skin his aqua eyes
    their son got mom's black hair
    their daughter got dad's brown hair
    Robin: You’re overwhelmed, Freeze was underwhelmed-why isn’t anyone ever just whelmed?

Robin: If dislike is the opposite of like, is disaster the opposite of aster? See, instead of things going wrong, they go right.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In my last generation the boys each looked like one of their fathers. Not quite clones, but pretty darned close. Jerome (in the white suit) looks like his dad, Cable with the green vest to his right) and Jules (teen with green vest) looks like his dad, Ignace (with the red vest)
    1zdp5s1.jpg"width=640"
  • Options
    Longcat123Longcat123 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited June 2012
    Chantico wrote:
    Yes , I also have this issue. Although , in my latest family one of the girls looks exactly like her father and their son is a carbon copy of the mother :?
    That always happens to me :? I never get children that are mixed, they always end up looking exactly like their mother of father.
  • Options
    blueflame17528blueflame17528 Posts: 1,937 Member
    edited June 2012
    I almost wish I had this problem - my genetics seem to mix evenly and my kids come out looking TERRIBLE. I have to go into CAS with them nearly every time.

I can see how it would get annoying to have a similar looking sim every generation, but at least they're not uhm...unfortunate
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited June 2012
    In my game it's a toss up with each child.

First gen of one family both kids favored their fathers, and the gen after favored their mom (which had the fathers genes.) So the founder, who was female, was completely bred out by gen 3. : /
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In my game it's a toss up with each child.

First gen of one family both kids favored their fathers, and the gen after favored their mom (which had the fathers genes.) So the founder, who was female, was completely bred out by gen 3. : /
    Although my handsome founders genes were bred out of the main household by the 3rd generation, I found descendants of my spares kept his genetics alive well into the 8th and 9th generations. I am sure if I went through all my townies now (in the 12th generation) I could probably find his genetics somewhere.
  • Options
    JenZ4HeavenZJenZ4HeavenZ Posts: 631 Member
    edited June 2012
    In my game it can go either way.. My recent most played family has four boys.

The dad has black hair and hazel eyes. The mom has red hair and blue eyes.

one boy with black hair has his moms blue eyes and so does his brother who has black hair as well. Two of the brothers have red hair one with hazel eyes and one with blue eyes like the mother.. In features though the boys look very much alike. I am unsure about the second red haired child since he is still a toddler but the black haired boys look the most similar and they look like their dad in features. and the oldest red haired boy in features takes after his father.. The youngest red haired boy though at toddler stage features looks almost like his mothers.

But they do not look EXACTLY like each other like I have seen some here.. but they pretty darn close.
  • Options
    caturaecaturae Posts: 2,244 Member
    edited June 2012
    The sims I am playing were quite a good mix. One is an exact copy of the father, one is a near copy with just his mother's eye shape and the third I think was pretty much a copy of his mother.

Their parents separated and the mother had more children. The only one I've seen looked exactly like the mother exept her mouth.

Having played a legacy before where I got to some ridiculous number of generations (20,I think) I can say that it in my game it appears to be random, but I get a LOT of clones, save eye and hair colour. I wish more off the offspring were an obvious mix.

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited June 2012
    I find boys tend to look like dad, and girls like mom, the most. I do get girls that look like dad, boys that look like mom, and girls and boys that look like mix of both though. Of course, my sims mostly have girls... so I tend to see more kids that look like mom... but they tend to have lots of kids as well so I'll get some that don't look just like mom.

• Options
    PahpayPahpay Posts: 381 Member
    edited June 2012
    I had one girl who looked skin-wise like her mom, but face wise like dad. The twins that came after her both had mom's face shape and dad's skin and the twins after that had mom's skin and dad's face shape. The first girl did end up with dad's eye shape and mom's lips.

I think it's a pretty good mix though dad's face shape makes choosing hair on the girls difficult.
  • Options
    Simfreak89Simfreak89 Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited June 2012
    My current family has four kids, one boy, three girls. Two girls look exactly like their mom, the other two look exactly like their dad, but with their mom's nose. The father was almost a complete copy of their grandmother.
  • Options
    the_harlequinadethe_harlequinade Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2012
    For me I think it can be either - but they're never really a mix of the two, always very like the mother or very like the father.

Case in point: Layla, Christopher and their five children:

Screenshot-702-2.jpg

Cora, Ruby, Cole and Toby are all very like their mother - Cora has their father's skin tone but other than that they're all very much like Layla. Blond with her rounded features.

Then there's Adam, who has darker hair like his father. He also has his father's eyes and has more angular features like Christopher, too.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Wow! Thank-you all for your input. It is so interesting seeing how the genetics are working out in other peoples games.

I was hoping for a little more mixing between the parents in their children..but that doesn't appear to be how it works in game.

If anyone else has info on genetics in their own game please add.

This is facinating XD
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    edited June 2012
    I haven't noticed that in my games unless one of the parents has REALLY strong genetics (i.e. extreme features like in my prettacy). I've also found it's harder to judge until they hit the teen years. What they look like as toddlers and kids isn't always a good indication of their true looks.

Also, sims 2 genetics blew in my humble opinion. I got more clones in Sims 2 than I ever got in sims 3. I especially hated that bug that made all the babies clones of the first one. Reloading the game only sometimes worked for me.

Here's the first generation in one of my current saves.

THese are the parents: Screenshot-416.jpg

Screenshot-418.jpg

And these are all 11 kids.

1. Braden
    Screenshot-420.jpgScreenshot-421.jpg
    Screenshot-451.jpgScreenshot-749.jpg

Twins!

2. Colin
    Screenshot-427.jpgScreenshot-440.jpg
    Screenshot-538.jpgScreenshot-761.jpg

3. Naomi
    Screenshot-428.jpgScreenshot-439.jpg
    Screenshot-536.jpgScreenshot-766.jpg

4. Ashton
    Screenshot-442.jpgScreenshot-454.jpg
    Screenshot-689.jpgScreenshot-784.jpg

5. Brooks
    Screenshot-528.jpgScreenshot-540.jpg
    Screenshot-757.jpgScreenshot-802.jpg

6. Nolan
    Screenshot-543.jpgScreenshot-683.jpg
    Screenshot-767.jpgScreenshot-804.jpg

Twins again

7. Derek
    Screenshot-750.jpgScreenshot-755.jpg
    Screenshot-801.jpgScreenshot-815.jpg

8. Janiya
    Screenshot-751.jpgScreenshot-753.jpg
    Screenshot-796.jpgScreenshot-813.jpg

OMG Triplets

9. Kaitlyn
    Screenshot-769.jpgScreenshot-790.jpg
    Screenshot-808.jpgScreenshot-824.jpg

10. Alexis
    Screenshot-770.jpgScreenshot-793.jpg
    Screenshot-811.jpgScreenshot-823.jpg

11. Braxton
    Screenshot-771.jpgScreenshot-788.jpg
    Screenshot-810.jpgScreenshot-821.jpg
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    mattgstlmattgstl Posts: 1,714 Member
    edited June 2012
    It could be the CC
  • Options
    the_harlequinadethe_harlequinade Posts: 512 Member
    edited June 2012
    Oh, also I've seemed to notice that the more generations you are into a family, the more diverse the children and less like the parents they are.

The family I posted up there is my founder and her children, so there's not really much diversity to speak of. Though the children are a mix of the parents, they have genes just from them and no ancestors.

In my last legacy, this is (a very bad picture of) Parker, my third generation heir:

parker.png

Black hair and blue eyes. His wife, Anna, had blondish brown hair, a pale complexion and green eyes.
    And this is their youngest daughter, Morgan, when she'd grown up:

Screenshot-1142-2.png

She looked nothing like either of them. The red hair was from her paternal grandmother and those brown eyes were a mutation I'm guessing - since nobody in the family tree had ever had brown eyes.

But by Morgan's generation, the kids were all very different, and some of them even very different to both of their parents. That's recessive genes at work, I would say (: