Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play Characters in the same town?

Is there a way for me to play with all the characters I created in the same town? I have to play with each individual family in it own little town. So I'd move in 8 people and then kick them out. :?

Comments

• Options
    EmmehEmmeh Posts: 85 New Member
    edited August 2009
    If you open up the options menu when playing a family and then press 'edit town' you can add other households into the same neighbourhood. This does get rid of the current family's wishes, but it's so fun to see your other sims running around town. XD
  • Options
    SimGuru_AurorasSimGuru_Auroras Posts: 256 New Member
    edited August 2009
    [Moved to General Discussion]
  • Options
    sims2fanticcsims2fanticc Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2009
    thanks, this helped my problem too. I thought it was a real shame you couldnt play with more than one household in the same town, but now i guess you can :D
    ✿◕‿◕✿
  • Options
    mia2603mia2603 Posts: 74 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Just be careful when you move to play another sim: your original sim might lose all they have in the inventory. That's happened to some people, myself included.
  • Options
    SarahPumkinSarahPumkin Posts: 304 Member
    edited August 2009
    so does that mean i can have my sim play as usual and my BF can create a sim in the same game so we can be friends when we play our games? we have tried doing this but failed... couldn't work out how?
  • Options
    CinnamonbiteCinnamonbite Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Emmeh wrote:
    This does get rid of the current family's wishes, but it's so fun to see your other sims running around town. XD

It also gets rid of all their money and everything they had in their storage. :evil:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Emmeh wrote:
    This does get rid of the current family's wishes, but it's so fun to see your other sims running around town. XD

It also gets rid of all their money and everything they had in their storage. :evil:

Their money? I've never had that happen. I did lose their inventory though, which wasn't good as I now have a ghost that can't return to the netherworld... :|
  • Options
    IdaNoReallyIdaNoReally Posts: 449 New Member
    edited August 2009
    You should always store important items (like tomb stones) in the family inventory. They should fix this problem in a patch.

• Options
    edited August 2009
    You should always store important items (like tomb stones) in the family inventory. They should fix this problem in a patch.

I've learned from my misakes... XD

EDIT: That typo was not an intentional pun.
  • Options
    duck74duck74 Posts: 686 Member
    edited August 2009
    Emmeh wrote:

and if they are almost really really old like 89 days old they will die without you even knowing (but i think they do furnarals)
  • Options
    whatpersonawhatpersona Posts: 24 New Member
    edited August 2009
    In the edit town option, there's the "change active household" button. It leads you back to the beginning screen where you first install the game. And you can choose any current household to play with. Basically you get to play with any other Sim you want. Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    SarahPumkinSarahPumkin Posts: 304 Member
    edited August 2009
    yah i did this! the only unfortunate thing is you do lose wises etcc but the biggest bummer is that you lose things out of your inventory! I had the moodlet manager, hospital shares, death flower, laptop, guitar, collection helper and a few more things in my inventory and when i returned to play my sim after creating and playing another I had lost all but the laptop and guitar :(
  • Options
    YiggleYiggle Posts: 5 New Member
    edited August 2009
    So in the edit town option will i be able to go back to create a sim and make another person and then move them in or do they have to be in my already made sim area? I have been playing this game since it came out and couldnt understand how to play multiple sims at once! I will try this edit thing out!
  • Options
    AvaCadavraAvaCadavra Posts: 37 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure you can do that. I think I did it once, totally by accident, of course. When you're playing try to look on the options menu. Edit Town, I believe. You can add families and houses at will, I'm pretty sure.
  • Options
    Sims3girl1Sims3girl1 Posts: 190 New Member
    edited August 2009
    GREAT!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    NO you can't play other families in the same town but you can go to edit town and create a family put them in a house go out of edit town and see the sims you made run around town!!
  • Options
    GramcrackersGramcrackers Posts: 1,162 Member
    edited September 2009
    Playing my game I've found a difference between 'Save' and 'Save As'. When I use 'Save As' before 'Edit Town' the lot freezes in the time where I left everyone and they don't progress when I play another family in the town. When I use 'Save' ( it can get confusing because any new lot I play will have the name of the first lot played and shows up in the Main Menu that way the next time I play or edit town) but changing houses this way keeps story progression going for the previously played houses. Has it's drawbacks though. There seems to be an accelleration process in a town played with 'Save'. I was playing Brandi(Newbie) and she was getting a relationship with Skip Broke and then the Broke family just disappeared from the town. :(
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    YavinBYavinB Posts: 9
    edited September 2009
    Actually, you can. I did it before. First go to edit town. On the bottom left corner there is a panel. At the top left corner there is a icon that has 2 houses. Click it. This will change the active household, so you can pick a new household.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    edited September 2009
    Yiggle wrote:
    So in the edit town option will i be able to go back to create a sim and make another person and then move them in or do they have to be in my already made sim area? I have been playing this game since it came out and couldnt understand how to play multiple sims at once! I will try this edit thing out!

You can go right into CAS if you desire and create away! Then place that Sim(s) into a lot or other household. Fromt here you can choose which household to play.

I started doing a little rotation play myself. I made three families and put them in lots on the same block, three houses in a row. It's fun to play a household and pan the camera around to see what's going on with the neighbors! And running into my other Sims downtown is cool, too.

Try setting your lifespan on Epic, however, if things move too quickly before you can get to the other families.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    edited September 2009
    duck74 wrote:
    Emmeh wrote:

and if they are almost really really old like 89 days old they will die without you even knowing (but i think they do furnarals)

Have one of your Sims regularly read the newspaper! That's where births, deaths, moves, etc. are reported. And, if your Sims has a relationship with other Sims you get a pop-up warning that a Sim is getting old and you should probably visit them soon. Then, you'll get a notice, too, of when they pass away.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It also gets rid of all their money and everything they had in their storage.

That didn't Happen to me......just the wishes where gone.

And cause all that happened, well I'm sorry.
    :(
  • Options
    sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited September 2009
    when i have many in one town that I wish to play, i just make sure they have little to nothing in their inventory's. this keeps me from all that worry about what might happen. I also found that doing one day cycles, seem'd to not interfer with what was in their inventory, it stayed. But then again maybe its just my game, because many others say they loose way to much and it agravates them.

I am trying a cycle of one of the towns, trying to find out if you can even do it. I wanted to do a cronical story of the families that live, move and die there, by going to each home in the town. First time i tried this the game didn't actually crash, but the save was rediculsly long. takeing me into actually turning off the computer so the save never worked. I am thinking to many families in the same neighborhood played causes the game to scream in agony. So I only stick to a few now.

But I guess the answer is yes you can play more than one family per neighborhood save, just cautiously.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah i guess you could say.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah well.....NO you can't play with different sims in the same town..ITS NOT LIKE THE SIMS2 AT ALL!!....But there is one thing you can do..First go to edit town then there is a button that has a house on it and if you run your mouse over it it say CHANGE HOUSE HOLD and you can play with a different houshold and...This tool makes thing so much easier PLUS If you built a awsome house and you don't want your current household to live in it then VWALA That is what you do!!!! Thankyou and i hope this helped a bunchessssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    angelaanna2007angelaanna2007 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited October 2009
    Yes, life goes on for the inactive households. I had an interesting (and somewhat disturbing) experience with that. I got a great new and fantastically fast computer this past weekend (HOORAH!!), and I loaded SIMS3 on it. (I had played it previously on my old laptop, but it was soooo slow.) Anyway, now that it was newly loaded on my computer, I decided to create a single father and his teenaged daughter. When the daughter aged to a young adult, I moved her out of the house and began playing her as the active household in her new home across the street from dear ol' Dad.

She went to visit her father awhile later and discovered that she now had a half-brother. I checked the relationship tree, and discovered that after she moved out, her father had got engaged to HER high school best friend and had a child with her. I was floored.

Wow!