Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Apocalypse Challenge! Adapted for The Sims 3!

Comments

• Options
    Rad6380Rad6380 Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2009
    Babyg: On top of the pillars I bult there were squares on which I could build floor. SO arrange enough pillars to give you an 8X8 floor (I have 4 pillars) and you'll be fine. Just remember the stairs are part of that 8x8.

Amchristian - are you playing normal or long? I'm doing this on long at the moment because I thought I might have a better chance than on normal (I play my regular legacy on normal as well so it's a nice change). I can't believe how well you're doing. My family have four kids now (plus the two random teens living with them) - all of the kids are babies and toddlers, which is 'interesting'. Fortunately my founder is doing OK in the military career so it hopefully won't be too long before he lifts the military restriction.

What did you do about childcare? My founder's wife will be due to go back to work soon and I can't decide whether to let her lose her job until the kids are at school (not desirable) or just make the teens keep missing school seeing as they're not in the bloodline anyway and I don't really care about their careers.

Oh, and I've put up a couple of blog chapters.
  • Options
    babygemini1986babygemini1986 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited July 2009
    but how do you make your house higher than just the hight of one foundation block if i dont use colums? am i missing something?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Why wouldn't you use columns? I'm a bit confused as to what you're actually asking...
  • Options
    babygemini1986babygemini1986 Posts: 95 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I figure it won't hurt anything to share a pic or two.. besides, this thread keeps getting buried so fast, it could use some legitimate bumpage! lol

5730_101282326549755_100000039648370_35347_8255235_n.jpg

5730_101282303216424_100000039648370_35340_1657575_n.jpg

Now I want to see y'alls! hehe

like this house how did she do that with the foundation?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ah, do you mean the floor to build on? That confused me for a bit too. You need to make an 8 X 8 floor with floor tiles (not an actual foundation), then put columns on it, making sure they make a connecting grid of (at least) 8x8, then you should be able to build on top.
  • Options
    CheziCMCheziCM Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Ahahahaha, this challenge IS hectic (and a welcome change from my legacy). I thought I'd try it, and so far I managed to break the Medical restriction... my sims are pretty happy to be clean at last. However, my founder married the first and only guy she knew for her entire young adult life, because, well, he was the ONLY guy she knew. It turns out he had pretty bad genetics and even though I know there are bigger things to worry about, it makes me sad. :( Things are getting better though.
  • Options
    CalamornienCalamornien Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    This looks like it's so much fun! It seems that legacies are the only things in Sims that can inspire me. Here's a list I made of how I'm going to lift the restrictions. (I only have one child per family because my computer doesn't like large families. Also, the list is made on the theory that the heir lifts restrictions faster than their spouse since you've been able to prepare for their career since they were in diapers.)

Founder - Military (to move around and get a spouse)
    Spouse of Founder - Business (for daycare)
    1st Heir - Comforting Children (This one really cramps my style)
    1st Heir's Spouse - Medical
    2nd Heir - Professional Sports
    2nd Heir's Spouse - Culinary (Up to this point I would be fine with it because you can put leftovers in the refrigerator. But not with 4 people in the house.)
    3rd Heir - Science
    3rd Heir's Spouse - Special Agent (So the teens can get jobs and elders can keep them)
    4th Heir - Master Gardner
    4th Heir's Spouse - Politics (so I can make my garden!)
    5th Heir - Forensic Analyst
    5th Heir's Spouse - Journalism
    6th Heir - Evil (This doesn't bother me much because when your sim keeps climbing the corporate ladder they accumulate a lot of cash, especially after 7 generations.)
    6th Heir's Spouse - Ghostly Encounter (At this point all the graves lying around willy nilly would be annoying)
    7th Heir - Master Painter (so I can have a guitar for their spouse)
    7th Heir's Spouse - Electronic Rock
    8th Heir - Symphonic
    9th Heir - Thief and Hopelessness . . . (These two are hardly restrictions)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm a little gutted sims can only lift one restriction each - would be so good to get whichever child lifts the painting restriction to go on to be the master painter. Oh well.

I played a bit this weekend but four infants on long play is starting to annoy me!! I played on normal yesterday just to get them through a bit quicker.

Will update blog soon.
  • Options
    khatekhate Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I started this challenge yesterday, so far my sims married the first girl he saw leaving from work. She was in law enforcement, and he is going to lift the Medical Restrictment. I was going to have their daughter lift the Military restrictment but she was given the Evil trait so they will have to try again with the next one because she will be lifting the Criminal restriction. It's pretty hard and my sims are really stinky!
  • Options
    LucindraLucindra Posts: 54 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I'm quite enjoying this challenge so far. Much more than the legacy as once they get established it gets a bit boring and I never get past gen 4 or 5.

I plan on lifting the medical one first though as my guy spends the whole day at the sink washing his hands and it got old pretty fast.

One issue I have is that I had him marry a girl from work and she brought her car with her- the one that costs $85,000 and the protection money is pretty high and can't buy it back- can I put it the family inventory without selling and never use it? Reason I ask is that if I just sell it and can't buy it back I end up with over $50000 left which means I can always pay for protection on my other items.
  • Options
    Wulf169Wulf169 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The Apocalypse Unfolds...
    Restriction Name: Forensic Analyst (Law Enforcement)
    Quote: "I think I'm paranoid." - Garbage
    Description: Mobsters, Anarchists, Burglars… there is a lot out there that can get you. Even if these threats don’t directly harm Sims, the fear of them does. A thick blanket of paranoia has spread over the region. Sleep does not come easy to a fearful mind, and the idea of these ‘bad guys’ out to get Sims is enough to keep most awake at night.
    Restriction Conditions:
    - Sims may not sleep in a bed or on a couch with an energy rating higher than one plus sign. It is not that there are no comfy beds available, but that a Sim’s paranoia interferes with getting a good night’s sleep. Beds, chairs and couches with energy ratings higher than one plus sign may still be bought and used, except for sleeping.
    - To help comply with this restriction, you may sell and replace any beds with one of a different energy rating. The new bed must be the same size as the old one, and in the exact same position.
    - Infant and toddler Sims may still sleep in cribs; they are too young to know paranoia.
    - Sims with 10 athletic skill points may ignore this restriction, as they know they can pummel any threats that may invade the house.
    - If the Special Agent (Law Enforcement) restriction is lifted, the energy limit raises to two plus signs or lower, as Sims start to sleep a little bit better at night with the human police intact. To truly be rid of their paranoia and have a good night’s sleep a Sim needs…
    How to Lift Restriction: A top level DNA Dynamic Profiler Sim will help paranoid Sims sleep soundly at night.

Sorry If I missed the discussion on this restriction.

We no longer have plus signs rating, chairs and couches no longer have any energy rating.

The lowest energy EA bed is energy 4, is energy 4 to high?
    Do we have to sleep on chairs and couches till we remove restriction this one? Was that the intent of it?

I suggest: Use of the energy 4 bed as default bed level, and since there is an energy 5 bed it can be usable by folks who have removed special agent.

All cribs are energy 4 right now, so could be removed from exempt status.

I can tell by looking at few households most folks seem to have adopted this a the rule. Not sure if that is cause they overlooked this rule or was being used a working adaptation for it.

Of course if the intent was to force us into sleeping on chairs and couches, we should probably go that route. I know you can nap on a couch, not if you can command a sim to sleep on it.

Sims who are employed in the police/military should also be exempt cause while they may be wrong. It probably safe to assume they all think they can handle any threats they may encounter.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I bought the cheap beds (well, after the first time I paid protection money and had a think about the issue you just raised) - they have the same energy rating, but they give sims a negative moodlet from sleeping on them, which seems to be the nearest equivalent.
  • Options
    Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited August 2009
    Aw crud... did that stupid patch take away the plus sign energy rating system? I didn't install the patch, so I wouldn't know.

Forensic Analyst (Law Enforcement)
    - If you have the Sims 3 patch version 1.3 and no longer have plus signs for energy ratings, your Sims may not sleep on a bed with an energy rating higher than 4. It is not that there are no comfy beds available, but that a Sim’s paranoia interferes with getting a good night’s sleep. Beds, chairs and couches with energy ratings higher than one plus sign may still be bought and used, except for sleeping.
    - If the Special Agent (Law Enforcement) restriction is lifted, the energy limit raises to 5 or lower, as Sims start to sleep a little bit better at night with the human police intact. To truly be rid of their paranoia and have a good night’s sleep a Sim needs…

If there are any mistakes with this update, let me know. Like I said, I didn't install the 1.3 patch.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I put up a couple of new chapters. I can't wait for the toddlers to grow up. Four toddlers in an apocalypse played on long is 'interesting'.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Haha, I bet, Rad. I'm playing on Normal, so hopefully, Killara's future children won't drive me too crazy.
  • Options
    KelMarCosKelMarCos Posts: 111 Member
    edited August 2009
    Journalism
    - If a Sim misses a SINGLE day of work for any reason they must quit their job. The only exception to this is pregnancy. Pregnant Sims must pay a fee of whatever pay they would receive on Maternity Leave for each day they are on Maternity Leave, essentially meaning that your Sim gets no pay for Maternity Leave. To do this, purchase any item that is the price of your Sim's maternity pay or the next one higher (you may not purchase anything less than the amount your Sim gets paid) and place it in the family inventory without using it or leaving Buy Mode. You must do this for each day your Sim is off of work due to maternity leave.

This REALLY offends me, this restriction. I am a huge fan of the original Apocalypse challenge. And pregnancy was absolutely not an excuse to miss work. Yes it was a pain in the butt to actually schedule pregnancy during a female sim's off days, or suffer & had kids first and then got a job to lift a restriction- but it made it much more challenging. I'm not liking to rule change to allow pregnancy as an excuse to miss work.

It's nice of you to adjust the rules to the sims 3, but no offence- i think i'll wait until/if Pinstar does a official adaptation. These restrictions just doesn't have the same effect like his storytelling/attention to detail did.

:-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KelMarCos wrote:
    This REALLY offends me, this restriction. I am a huge fan of the original Apocalypse challenge. And pregnancy was absolutely not an excuse to miss work. Yes it was a pain in the butt to actually schedule pregnancy during a female sim's off days, or suffer & had kids first and then got a job to lift a restriction- but it made it much more challenging. I'm not liking to rule change to allow pregnancy as an excuse to miss work.

The thing is, you CAN'T time pregnancy/maternity because it lasts for FOUR compulsory days, so your sim that gets pregnant basically can't have a career until she's had all her babies... which doesn't exactly work if you want her to be fulfilling parts of the challenge, at least if you play on normal.

And remember, this is all being tested as we play so adjustments may occur.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, if you want to have your pregnant Sims stick with the original rules for TS2 and get fired, go right ahead. No one's stopping you. Good luck trying to break restrictions when half of your Sims keep getting fired over and over again, though. I wouldn't have changed the rule at all if pregnancy worked the same way it did in TS2, but it doesn't, so it was necessary to come up with a different solution.

Pinstar's already stated that he isn't planning on adapting the Apocalypse Challenge for TS3, which is why I decided to. I wouldn't have bothered if he was planning on doing it, because there wouldn't have been a point.

Also, no one's forcing you to do everything exactly the way the challenge states. Make alterations if you want. If the pregnancy rule bothers you that much, change it to make it more challenging.

As Rad said, this challenge is still in testing, so things can change. If you come up with a good solution for the issue of pregnancy conflicting with the Journalism restriction, then by all means let me know about it. I would love to hear it. So far, instating a fee was the best solution I've found.
  • Options
    PurpleAmharicBunaPurpleAmharicBuna Posts: 624 New Member
    edited August 2009
    we should have a nightwish song title inspired 'planet hell' household... drive dem sims mad!!! I probably could not do this (I am a pool addict!) but I do have th capability to drive Sims to the edge (they are, after all, only pixels) and I'll probably make them politicians and musicians I don't like, enimies or twits. Heheh i'll create a new game.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I love Nightwish. ^-^

Heh heh, I hate torturing my Sims. I can't kill Sims, either. It just makes me so sad. I get so attached to my Sims and only want the best for them so I try to give them good lives... not that nothing bad ever happens to them. They do break up, have affairs, marry their distant relatives, etc, but they always have a happy ending.
  • Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Hehe I am planning on starting this challenge. I do know a hint that might help with stinky sims.I plan on using the inappropraite trait so my sim can take a sponge bath. but I want to be clear if sponge baths are ok and if we couldm chose a family trait link in the legacy challenge.

*Update* And wonder if there was a floor number limit. I am also wondering how can someone put a basement when you need to have stairs to go down into them?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Question - when we pay protection it says we have to buy the same things back - does that mean I have to buy cots back, even though my toddlers are FINALLY (hooray!) becoming children?

Re: stinky sims - mine are so used to smelling now they still get high green moods even when their hygeine bar is at maximum red. The toddlers are starting to age up now, though, they're going to get a shock, as they've been the only clean members of the family all game :)
  • Options
    fireflier75fireflier75 Posts: 99 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I wish there was a desert type town available, I know they haven't come out with one yet but i hope we get one with thwe new expansion. It looks funny having the only barren lot in a lush green town.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you have toddlers in the house that become children, you may replace their cribs with beds when you pay the Protection Tax.

I suppose sponge baths are allowed, since you are permitted to use the sink. Clever idea, really. I didn't think of that.

To answer the question about building underground, I believe it's possible to build a basement, then put floor tiles on top of it to act as a ceiling/roof. Then you can place stairs in the basement, since the ceiling/roof of the basement technically counts as a floor.
  • Options
    digitalbrown07digitalbrown07 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I stumbled onto this challenge today and decided to give it a whirl as it seemed interesting. My founder, Jack Smith, is an athletic, handy, ambitious, workaholic, who is also inappropriate with a lifetime want to be an astronaut.

Well, I immediately signed him up for the military career and the next day at work had him meet coworkers to try and start mate hunting. He met Madison van Watson pretty fast, so then I had him hang out with coworkers for the rest of the day. He got an opportunity to stay and help his coworkers clean latrines, so he did and by time he left work he was already friends with Madison.

Since he had a car, Jack invited her over and by 9pm the two had hit it off and were married. My 2nd day of the challenge just ended, and my founder already has a mate and according to the telltale music an heir is on the way.

Isn't that crazy? I guess I'm off to a good start. I just had to share this as it was so unbelievable.