The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♥ Adults to Elders Thread ♥ Simpoints on Page 25 & Page 50 ♥

Comments

• Options
    debakadeb1debakadeb1 Posts: 88 New Member
    edited July 2009
    What a neat thread this has been to read. I love all the discussions about the first pc's to hit desktops. My first harddrive was 2mb and I thought it was great. Glad to see other's that are 50+ like to play these games :)
  • Options
    MsCocoa30MsCocoa30 Posts: 388 New Member
    edited July 2009
    CharR595 wrote:
    I'm 51 and played all the Sims, even beta tested Sims Online. I've played lots of games like Ultima Online, Everquest and WoW, but hubby and kids take priority and I find it's easier to play games like Sims 3 on my time, which is late at night. I too have found myself glancing at the clock and it's 5am! Kids are grown now, but I still find it a habit to play late. I enjoy this game, especially since I just got a new pc and I'm looking forward to any expansion packs that are released. Add me if you'd like, I am a friendly Simmer! :)

Small world, I was a beta tester for TSO too...:)
  • Options
    DewmzdeighDewmzdeigh Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited July 2009
    *pokes his head in cause he's old*
  • Options
    MsCocoa30MsCocoa30 Posts: 388 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Gah. Old people! :-)

We are not OLD, just mature and with that comes wisdom.
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited July 2009
    djonas63 wrote:
    Ohh.. Mimeograph machines... you would end up all blue or purple when you ran off something,but we all sniffed the paper. :shock: And Carbon paper. I worked at an office supply store a couple of years ago and remember someone coming in and asking for some. We didn't have any and the younger staff were "what's that?"

Here are some more random things to jar a memeory loose.
    Card Catalogues
    The Sears, Pennys or Wards Christmas catalogues or any catalogue at this point.
    Burger Chef
    Farrell's Ice Cream Palour
    Tea Berry Dance and can you do it?
    Oh, Dark Shadows

Talk about going back in time. I used to love to watch Dark Shadows. I guess you could say that was OUR Twilight.
    Anyway, we are never too old to play sims.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,959 Member
    edited March 2010
    Gruffman wrote:
    25 is old? I was 25 in 1995 ...

Oh, gosh, I must be decrepid! I was 25 back in 1980 ... :-S
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kaiyah wrote:
    Waaaaah! I'm over the hill? I thought we weren't supposed to reach that point until our fifties or something!
    I propose we rename this topic something along the lines of "The awesomely amazing simmers who are over the age of 25 and still kicking" thread.
    That's not too long, right? :lol:

Let's see, as for me, I'm married, no kids, not currently working but looking while I take care of the home and hubby. I have plenty of time to play Sims as long as I let the laundry pile up a little bit. ;)

Take a little advice from one who is truly "over the hill" by your own definition ... employ the pause button whilst you change over the loads of laundry. I multi-task all the time while playing. :-D

Oh, and for the record I've been married for 35 years, was a stay-at-home mom raising three kids, the last of whom left the nest one year ago. I'm very happily semi-retired. I say semi- because while I'm no longer raising children I still have to do the housework. And this is an enormous house. Over 3000 square feet! I deserve to play my game. :-P

I also agree, coming to the forums can be instructive and also quicker than powering up the game when there's little time to play.

*Update: I am now fully retired! Maids come every other week to do the work I can no longer do. Had a serious close encounter with the Grim Reaper (well, not quite, as I actually never died but the odds were certainly against me surviving) so now I'm happily recovering from brain surgery (they clipped the brain anneurysm) and Simming when the mood strikes me. I also forgot I've been on this thread in the past . . . stupid side-effects of a brain bleed. Yikes. Be well, everybody!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Greenb70Greenb70 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited July 2009
    Married 19 years,have a daughter who is a junior in college and a son who is a freshman in high school.My husband works nights my daughter comes and goes and my son is on the other side of the wall on his computer.After a full day at work I fix what I want to eat watch what I want to watch and play until bed time or until the cat decides it's her love me time.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    djonas63 wrote:
    Ohh.. Mimeograph machines... you would end up all blue or purple when you ran off something,but we all sniffed the paper. :shock: And Carbon paper. I worked at an office supply store a couple of years ago and remember someone coming in and asking for some. We didn't have any and the younger staff were "what's that?"

Card Catalogues
    Burger Chef
    Oh, Dark Shadows

Farrell's Ice Cream Palour! Hubby and I had our wedding party dinner there, since we spent many hours on dates or with friends in that fine, now extinct, establishment.

I also used to race home from school to see the next episode of Dark Shadows ...
  • Options
    djonas63djonas63 Posts: 1,097 New Member
    edited July 2009
    djonas63 wrote:

Card Catalogues
    Burger Chef
    Oh, Dark Shadows

Farrell's Ice Cream Palour! Hubby and I had our wedding party dinner there, since we spent many hours on dates or with friends in that fine, now extinct, establishment.

I also used to race home from school to see the next episode of Dark Shadows ...

Farrell's is trying to make a come back. They have a web site set up and have opened a few stores. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    cupcakecupcake Posts: 5,097 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Nice to see that there are more simmers that are past the teenage stages.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited July 2009
    Dewmzdeigh wrote:
    *pokes his head in cause he's old*

Will you please get out of the way I can't see. Now you know I need new bi-focals. :-) Just waiting to fill out the paperwork for my AARP card. :wink:

I love playing the sims. It keeps me from hurting the people at work. :thumbup: So they love it that I love playing it. BTW - My doctor loves that I play too. Sort of reduces my stress and lowers my blood pressure. Who knew? :roll:

Happy simming,
    blu

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    TheKingTrollieTheKingTrollie Posts: 106 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Dark Shadows--was there ever better TV I was such a fan that I named my daughter Josette Angeliqe (Barnabys two love intrest). Those were the days, and now I sim and sim and sim.
  • Options
    venusdemilosimsvenusdemilosims Posts: 1,918 Member
    edited July 2009
    Hi, I'm north of thirty by a couple ticks, and care for my aging, disabled mother. I lost my job in journalism and prospects in that field are grim, so I'm considering returning to college :lol:. I play Sims when everyone in the house is asleep :lol:
    jpnbanner2_zpscb7d2475.jpg header_zps436f0053.jpg

• Options
    EloxlyEloxly Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2009
    Burger Chef!!!

I was absolutely fascinated by those kids meals...you had a little shaped spot especially for each thing. My burgeoning Type A personality thought that was the coolest thing!

Come on guys, no one has brought up Oregon Trail or Pong yet!!!! My first classes were in Basic as well. Wow. Hadn't thought about that in a long time.

We too had black and white TV, but color was in the house as long as I can remember. My father worked in television development so we always knew about the new stuff and usually had it. I've known about flat panel technology since the '80s! (thanks Dad!) I remember the advent of the remote control.

**pulls up geriatric stockings**
  • Options
    EloxlyEloxly Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2009
    Dark Shadows--was there ever better TV I was such a fan that I named my daughter Josette Angeliqe (Barnabys two love intrest). Those were the days, and now I sim and sim and sim.

I believe I read something about a Dark Shadows movie...
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009
    Well, based on the thread's description, I'm way over the hill. :)
    Let's see...how has the sims taken over my life. Well, I know that if I start playing at night, I won't get to bed at a decent hour. Plus I think about the friggin' game even when I'm not playing it. :?
  • Options
    debra1970pdebra1970p Posts: 4,652 Member
    edited July 2009
    Gruffman wrote:
    25 is old? I was 25 in 1995 ...

Same here.
  • Options
    Mahogany_RoseMahogany_Rose Posts: 729 Member
    edited July 2009
    *Is 31* :O And a proud over the hill simmer :)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Eloxly wrote:

I believe I read something about a Dark Shadows movie...

Dark Shadows movie!!!! I liked the updated one that came out in the late 80's. Now I will have to go look for movie info.

Ahh... Pong. Does anyone remember DeathRace 2000 the video game? I think it was the first video game to inspire a movie or maybe it came out after the movie but I really belive it was first. You would run over the pedestrians and they would scream and turn into little tomb stones.

I also learned programing in basic and fortran. Remember going into Radio Shacks and getting the computer displays to run your name?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    DARK SHADOWS MOVIE.

Johnny Depp as Barnabas. Tim Burton directing!! Come on 2011 I can't wait.
  • Options
    MotayJones77MotayJones77 Posts: 111 New Member
    edited July 2009
    It just wouldn't be right for me not to post. I've been over and around the hill. Let's just say that I have children older then 25 and my youngest just turned 21 and is off to college. Sure my children sneak home on occassion, but they don't bother me especially when I'm simming. I am looking forward to retirment. I still have a few more years but I've informed my boss and colleagues that I'm leaving skid marks and a wrong number when I do in the event they "need" me to come back to help out.

I usually play at night to unwind and I've often found myself playing until ungodly hours.

I've had a kick outa reading about the "good old days". My kids are always amazed when I tell them about life before microwaves, dvd's, vcrs and the like. I remember when HBO started and it was just one channel. The concept of paid televsion was radical. If your rabbit eared antenaes couldn't pick up the station, oh well! I was asked what we did after a movie was no longer shown at the theater; which of course were always shown as double features. I explained that we waited until the edited for tv version was coming on and marked our wall calendar to make sure we watched it; since it might not be on again for another year or so.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Three channels and we still couldn't find anything to watch. :lol:
  • Options
    FaeIsabellaFaeIsabella Posts: 31 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'll be right behind you downloading your make up. The game really is lacking in that aspect. I wish you luck as I love make up on my Sims also.

I play on the computer well...whenever. Loving the ability to edit colors big time. Cheers :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SeaMonsterDylanSeaMonsterDylan Posts: 216 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I think I was in 5th or 6th grade the first time I played a video game. It was on an apple computer if memory serves, and you had to wind this snake through a maze. I played for hours... next came pac-man in jr. high... and in high school, my best friend got Atari! We would stay up all night playing Alpiner and some jungle adventure where you had to swing on vines to the next obstacle. Loved it.

Discovered Donkey Kong Country on super nintedo when I was about 25 and fell in love with the game. (Incidently, I still have that snes system) Graduated to Playstation 2 a couple years later, played the tombraider series among other things... tony hawk, final fantasy series...

and then when I was about 30, my friend turned me onto the Sims 1 on PC. Bought all the expansion packs... Sims 2 launched a couple years later... bought all of those EPs also. And here we are with Sims 3... have you guessed my age yet?