Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U--Complete Course 1- Building a Farm-, Post 1 for links to lessons

Comments

• Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited January 2012
    It won't let me adjust the slope of the roof.:K I have to take a break, I'm getting annoyed with it haha.XD

Hi, SpringFairy! Go to Build Mode, Go to Roofing, Look for a pair of buttons. The left button says "adjust individual roof angle" the other says "remove all roofs". Click the one that lets you adjust individual room angles, then click and hold on the center section of roof (it should be lit up) and you should be able to adjust it by pulling it up (to make it steeper) or down (to make it flatter). Make it flatter.

If you are still having problems, write me on my Sim page.

Sorry, I know stuff like this can get frustrating, but you will get it!

OMG I didn't know you could do that! That would have been helpful when building my lighthouse today.XD.

It's a handy thing all right!
    oow785m
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited January 2012
    39755418.jpg

I really really like Barns and Farms.Gosh, I want to live on one.:P
  • Options
    AZSpudKingAZSpudKing Posts: 146 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I really really like Barns and Farms.Gosh, I want to live on one.:P

Barns and Farms are fun, but they are a lot of work in the real world. I grew up on one and wouldn't trade it for anything, but it also explains why I work behind a desk nowadays.

I like your Barn BTW. Very nice!
  • Options
    onigiriloveronigirilover Posts: 1,240 Member
    edited January 2012
    hello Proffesor,

Sorry for being tardy (for two days heeehee) Ive done all. I only have the base game, Ambitions and OLS.

Unfortunately, I do not have Pets so I dont know on what will I do with a farm.

Regards,
    ~oni
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    As for my bf's homework, you can click here

The content of the PDF should be pretty self-explanatory. please ask if there are any questions :)

Mariska,

Would you ask Kevin to check his link? I couldn't get it to open. I want to make sure he did HIS homework, too! If he would like to have you register him for my next class, feel free to do that.

Zoo

Hey professor, The link should direct to a downloadable PDF. I've also uploaded a slideshow for you to view here <--. If this doesn't work I'll create one big bad image file and upload it right here :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    hello Proffesor,

Sorry for being tardy (for two days heeehee) Ive done all. I only have the base game, Ambitions and OLS.

Unfortunately, I do not have Pets so I dont know on what will I do with a farm.

Regards,
    ~oni

Hi, Oni!

Your point about not having Pets is one I considered before designing my first course.

First of all, any building principles you learn here will be applicable to ANY lot you want to build. Second of all, the barn will have two completely unused area if you don't have Pets (the two horse stalls in the barn, and even then you could use them for "storage"). The rest of the barn (and all the rest of the farm) will be useful for any Sim family.

There will be a garden of harvestable plants, so this still qualifies as a farm, and you could have your family move in and be one of those farm families that no longer keeps animals, only crops.

If you wanted, you could cut the size of the corral down and use some of that space. You could also allow the family's children to play in the barn (even put some of their toys in the horse stalls). I could see little kids "camping out" with a tent or just with sleeping bags in the barn (maybe even in the hay loft).

The upstairs apartment could be a guest space for your farm family or for a farm hand OR you could remodel after turning in your homework so that the entire upper story is used for the purpose of one of the family member's hobbies.

How about a slick, modern art studio up there? Or just a sculpting area with storage all around like they made a little space but mostly it's still a rough barn? Or remodel as a purpose-made play area for the family children?

My point is: even without Pets, I think you will get some use out of your farm. :D

oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    MariskaAmy wrote:
    As for my bf's homework, you can click here

The content of the PDF should be pretty self-explanatory. please ask if there are any questions :)

Mariska,

Would you ask Kevin to check his link? I couldn't get it to open. I want to make sure he did HIS homework, too! If he would like to have you register him for my next class, feel free to do that.

Zoo

Hey professor, The link should direct to a downloadable PDF. I've also uploaded a slideshow for you to view here <--. If this doesn't work I'll create one big bad image file and upload it right here :)

I could see the photos this time, thanks!

Mariska, tell Kevin I said he did AWESOME! A+ for him, too! :mrgreen:

I thought his apartment felt bigger than it really was and it didn't seem cramped. The double bed is only usable on one side, but I still like the looks of it better than the single bed I used in mine (I hate having stuff you can't use, so unless you can use both sides of a double bed I use the single). It made the bedroom feel bigger to have the bigger bed, maybe that's just psychological.

I liked the color scheme of the apartment and I liked the simplicity of all the first floor rooms. As I said, awesome job!
    oow785m
  • Options
    PandoraRitterPandoraRitter Posts: 787 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I just found this and I'm rather excited. I've been wanting to learn a lot more about building in The Sims 3. I do alright but I know I have a lot to learn. It's nearly midnight so I should really be in bed lol but tomorrow I will have this all done. *fingers crossed* And I will also sign up for assignment 2.

Spudking- I LOVED reading you commentary with your results. You are too funny.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I just found this and I'm rather excited. I've been wanting to learn a lot more about building in The Sims 3. I do alright but I know I have a lot to learn. It's nearly midnight so I should really be in bed lol but tomorrow I will have this all done. *fingers crossed* And I will also sign up for assignment 2.

Spudking- I LOVED reading you commentary with your results. You are too funny.

Welcome, Pandora! I hope you will enjoy the lessons and that you will learn a lot.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    OK, here is my attempt at the barn. For some reason I could not get the actual barn doors to work so I just used the fake ones.

Screenshot-62.jpg

Lower level
    Screenshot-59.jpg

UPstairs
    Screenshot-57.jpg
  • Options
    CmnshtrCmnshtr Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited January 2012
    Wow, what a great class Professor!! You did a wonderful job teaching them to build a barn. I know you gave me my first pointers when building a barn for me what such hard work!

Way To Go Class!
    h2xmsbl
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    OK, here is my attempt at the barn. For some reason I could not get the actual barn doors to work so I just used the fake ones.

Cool looking barn Pandora. I'm hoping all those barrels are full of a nice vintage of Pinot's and Chardonnay's from your vineyard. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Of course SPud! I should put in a little table and chair for wine tasting lol
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Your barn looks great, Pandora! Did you try using the MOO cheat to add the "real" barn door? It is listed in the steps and I used it to add my barn door since I had some walls in the way (which I fixed in a later step).
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cmnshtr wrote:
    Wow, what a great class Professor!! You did a wonderful job teaching them to build a barn. I know you gave me my first pointers when building a barn for me what such hard work!

Way To Go Class!

Cmnshtr, I look at all your excellent builds these days and forget how really new you are to building! I am happy for anything I've helped you with, but you honestly picked it all up so fast that it was like it was natural for you.

I love that Emily is taking my classes, too. Encourage her to write me with questions any time at all. I am her aunt-by-friendship, after all! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    LaughingJacksLaughingJacks Posts: 160 New Member
    edited January 2012
    Procrastination to the max...

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    alley5343alley5343 Posts: 303 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I did it a while ago but never got around to posting it here you go:
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj566/libbywhite21/
    I haven't exactly figured out how to put pictures in forums and didn't want to post three times with all my pics, so they are in the link.
  • Options
    sundaykesundayke Posts: 29
    edited January 2012
    If anyone speak dutch it would be nice. Specially for the roof.

409312_10150591992612744_681777743_11350592_1302756991_n.jpg
    402110_10150591992887744_681777743_11350597_1336726427_n.jpg
    406500_10150591992972744_681777743_11350601_1707168123_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    alley5343 wrote:
    I haven't exactly figured out how to put pictures in forums and didn't want to post three times with all my pics, so they are in the link.

Use the code from photobucket that is the img code. It will start with .
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    AZSpudKing wrote:
    alley5343 wrote:

Use the code from photobucket that is the img code. It will start with .

Alley:

Do what SpudKing said, but make sure you add "width=600" right before the last (it starts AND ends with) when adding to threads or you will end up with pictures that are too big and even if you can get it to work it will break the thread.  NICE job on your homework!  I really liked your apartment!
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Laughing Jacks and Sundayke:

Nice barns, both of you!

Sundayke, I'm really sorry I don't speak any Dutch at all. The roof doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look like the traditional barn roof we were doing for this build. You need to go to the roof area and choose the button to adjust individual roof slope. Click on the section of roof (in this case the middle section)you want steeper or shallower and just adjust that section.

As I said, it doesn't look bad, just different from the lesson.
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I am re-posting this in case it got lost in the thread. Here is the link to my finished barn (including the homework assignment):

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/489765.page

Don't forget that Zoo U Lesson 2 "Building the Farmhouse" is tomorrow! You can still join in the fun. Here is the link:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/489324.page
    oow785m
  • Options
    Emily485Emily485 Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited January 2012
    Oh, gosh. I am so sorry I missed this! I was just so busy and I completely forgot.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Emily485 wrote:
    Oh, gosh. I am so sorry I missed this! I was just so busy and I completely forgot.

No worries, Emily, you can STILL do it if you want!

Hardly anyone had to ask me a question, so if you just go to the steps you can take the course as if it were an online class (which means you'd have to contact the teacher later if you have a question). You can contact me via my Sim page comments if something isn't clear, but hopefully you'll be able to follow everything.

All three lessons are up and the links are in post one of this thread. You can build your whole farm from these three lessons. :mrgreen:
    oow785m
  • Options
    RiverSong10RiverSong10 Posts: 80
    edited January 2012
    I'm new around the forums, so wasn't able to participate in this course. However, I will definitely be trying this out myself, and if you hold any more 'classes', I'd definitely be interested! :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top