Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To Patch or Not to Patch?

I have yet to ever install any of the patches, as I've just heard bad things about them and was terrified they would screw up my game. But I'm very eager for some of the new patches changes (mainly story progression stuff), but not sure if I should be worried about my game not working. I see people with mods complaining, but I have no mods or anything, so they won't interfere. Are mod-less players having trouble with the new patch? I'd love some input!

Comments

• Options
    peaceloveharmonypeaceloveharmony Posts: 6,824 Member
    edited July 2009
    some mod-less players are having trouble xP
    i downloaded the first one and have no problems but i'm not gonna download the 2nd one just yet
  • Options
    WindWineKiwi8WindWineKiwi8 Posts: 1,296 New Member
    edited July 2009
    There is no point in them depending on what it is - the official EA one seems kinda useless..... while the Indie Mod thing sounds good and generally works according to the reviews on MTS
  • Options
    aimeeyoung14aimeeyoung14 Posts: 497 Member
    edited July 2009
    I downloaded the first patch, the one that fixed the ultra speed and the story progression button, and I haven't had any problems.
    Is there a newer patch than the one I downloaded?
  • Options
    ScarlettScarlett Posts: 796 Member
    edited July 2009
    Patch! Patch! Patch!
    It removes the limit of having only 4 neighborhoods - you can have up to 2000! *squee*
  • Options
    JPSIMSJPSIMS Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2009
    i hav just got the second update and the game won't even start i click the play button and it starts to load then it shuts down i hav a lot of mods in the game so that coulnd be the problem.any help woulnd appreciated
  • Options
    freakingoddessfreakingoddess Posts: 253 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Hmm...now I don't know what to do!!!!
  • Options
    vbaileyvvbaileyv Posts: 470 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Scarlett wrote:
    Patch! Patch! Patch!
    It removes the limit of having only 4 neighborhoods - you can have up to 2000! *squee*

You could have more then 4 Neighborhoods... there is a little arrow to switch between the different games... I have 7 currently...
  • Options
    Subucni524Subucni524 Posts: 1,659 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm mod-less, and I haven't had any trouble with the new patch.
  • Options
    NattieNattie Posts: 1,315 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm not downloading it. It gives Grimmy a vasectomy.
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2009
    Patch your game up unless you still want your Sims reproducing asexually...
  • Options
    LyrianFleurLyrianFleur Posts: 128 New Member
    edited July 2009
    What issues are people without mods having? All anyone has said was "they're having problems" but no one's said what...
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited July 2009
    Patched and flying fine. I did remove my mods folder and, learned that I have to wait for Indie Stone, Hidden traits and Body slider to be updated. I had a few mis-routed sims so had to reset them.

The audio was jumpy when changing speeds for a bit, but after about 30 mins of play it corrected (as if it were learning what had been done to it) Since have exited and restarted game and audio is fine at all speeds.

I didn't have to do it, but some have had to delete and replace the criminal whse due to mis routed townies blocking it (sometimes invisible blockades).

All in all, not bad for all the issues it adresses. I can live with a few resets and my poor old dinosaur of a computer having to get used to the audio :)
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    LynarielaLynariela Posts: 3,297 Member
    edited July 2009
    It's the usual post-patching problems. Crashing to desktop, broken mods, though some have reported skipping (I don't quite get it, but I've heard it so I'm mentioning it), sims not going to bed... There's a variety of problems.

I haven't tried with my mods yet (and I don't use the typical mods, I use a 9 day pregnancy mod since I play on epic, more frequent opportunities mod, and a mod that enabled the purchase of fish-- versus most people using awesomemod, silder hacks, and indiestone which the patch is completely NOT compatible with either of those 3), but I have most of the CC hair out there and haven't had any issues with my game otherwise. I'm still testing just to make sure before I start adding in my mods, which is also giving the mod creators a chance to update them anyhow.

Edited to clarify wording.
    Twitter, Twitch, and Gallery ID - Lynariela
  • Options
    EtherealMemoryEtherealMemory Posts: 128 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I have a ton of CC and mods installed and I have no problems with the patch so far. The only thing I did was uninstall the indie stone mod before patching because of the problems I've heard with it conflicting with the patch.
  • Options
    lalalostlalalost Posts: 91 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i downloaded the first one and have no problems but i'm not gonna download the 2nd one just yet

Same here. The first one helped a lot, but I don't feel the need to dowload the new one. It's not worth the risk, no matter how small it may be.

EDIT:
    Nattie wrote:
    I'm not downloading it. It gives Grimmy a vasectomy.

I have issues with this as well:)
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited July 2009
    I have yet to ever install any of the patches, as I've just heard bad things about them and was terrified they would screw up my game. But I'm very eager for some of the new patches changes (mainly story progression stuff), but not sure if I should be worried about my game not working. I see people with mods complaining, but I have no mods or anything, so they won't interfere. Are mod-less players having trouble with the new patch? I'd love some input!

I have only Sunset Valley, Riverview, things I purchased from the store and the free stuff from the store and I am NOT having any problems. I have downloaded both patches.
    Everytime there is a patch or anything else you will read all kinds of bad things about it. I still get a little nervous after reading the forum but then I go ahead and download anyway and so far I have had no problems. If I had paid any attention to all the bad things I read when the game first came out I probably wouldn't have even installed the game to begin with.

I would like to know what problems those without mods and cc are having. The biggest problem I have read about is the one with the indiestone or whatever it's called.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    foxxee14foxxee14 Posts: 27 Member
    edited July 2009
    people keep saying they are having troubles with mods... what exactly is a mod?
  • Options
    SimFanaticcSimFanaticc Posts: 777 New Member
    edited July 2009
    To answer your question,
    NO.
  • Options
    LynarielaLynariela Posts: 3,297 Member
    edited July 2009
    foxxee14 wrote:
    people keep saying they are having troubles with mods... what exactly is a mod?

Something that modifies how something works in the game.
    Twitter, Twitch, and Gallery ID - Lynariela
  • Options
    Kjsplosion1Kjsplosion1 Posts: 645 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't have any mods such as Indie Stone or AwesomeMod installed, (since I have always been wary of downloading mods), however I do have a few CC items, and none of them have conflicted with the newest patch. (I have all patches for the game, and I've never had any problems downloading them.) The update isn't the problem, I believe it is the more recent CC and mods that are conflicting with the patch.

P.S. (Patch + update= same thing. I just hate being redundant.)

Edit: And the reason I believe that it is the more recent CC that is causing problems, is because the issues related to the newest custom hairs/skins/clothes are due to them still being buggy. It usually takes a few weeks after a new custom item has been created and downloaded frequently for the creator to be able to fix all the bugs. (People have to send the creator their complaints, and so it takes time to further modify the CC.) Sorry if that was jumbled and confusing!
  • Options
    Sismour261Sismour261 Posts: 94 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I was previously having problems with my roofs not showing up in my game. I just installed the 2nd patch today and now my roofs show up so i'm happy with it.
  • Options
    JaraLynnJaraLynn Posts: 164 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't have any mods, however, my game never had any issues. In fact, my game seems to be running perfectly. I'm not going to patch this time because I want to try babies with the grim reaper, and I love the one night stand idea. The real grimmie would never move in!! I figure since I'm not having any of the problems the patch fixes, that I'll just wait until later.

That being said...does anyone know how to make it stop asking if I want to download the update every time I open the launcher?
  • Options
    SlanesimSlanesim Posts: 41 New Member
    edited August 2009
    the only cc i have in my game is my 10$ worth of TS3 Store items and my game still will not work (it crashes right after the intro video) even though i have uninstalled and reinstalled twice. So id say to anybody wondering about getting the patch: do not install the patch (until EA fixes it) just to be safe.
  • Options
    Sarah999Sarah999 Posts: 159 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I don't have any mods or non-official CC and I've had absolutely no problems with either patch. My game is working better than ever!
  • Options
    SmustleQueenSmustleQueen Posts: 1,868 New Member
    edited August 2009
    It's you're choice, but I would say No. I downloaded the patch and my game now crashes to desktop at the main loading screen everytime. I deleted my mods before I patched, but it still messed it up. Reinstalling does diddly squat.

Good Luck.