The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

plagiarism :(

so i came across http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=605362
which is a complete copy of my jessica rabbit! with slight changes of hair and outfits.
It's such a dissapointment that someone would do that..
heres my orginal. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=391834

anyone know how to message people? and does reporting people really work?

Comments

• Options
    wicca43wicca43 Posts: 980 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Reporting doesn't work. I've reported someone for plagiarism many many times, and nothing has been done. :x
  • Options
    maddy444maddy444 Posts: 1,352 New Member
    edited July 2009
    u cant send pms any more, and i don't think u can report who ever did that bc they did change a few things. but thats really unfair.
  • Options
    morsmordremorsmordre Posts: 990 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Why don't you read the EULA? :roll:
  • Options
    jix2993jix2993 Posts: 3,312 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The same thing happen to me like 3 times already and the sad part is there is nothing you can do about it.
  • Options
    ChylaChyla Posts: 3,270 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I reported someone once who stole my signature. It's since been changed but it's most likely a coincidence. Nothing is done about plagiarism it seems.
  • Options
    pawprintsx0pawprintsx0 Posts: 51 New Member
    edited July 2009
    whats EULA?

oh that sucks :/ why do they even bother with a report button then? :roll:
  • Options
    PerryaePerryae Posts: 92 New Member
    edited July 2009
    EULA - end user license agreement

Basically - no one can plagiarise your stuff because... its not your stuff. It's EA's.
  • Options
    Rockangel48Rockangel48 Posts: 459 New Member
    edited July 2009
    The report button does nothing for plagiarism. Sorry.
  • Options
    wicca43wicca43 Posts: 980 New Member
    edited July 2009
    whats EULA?

And why is there an option to report plagiarism? I'm just saying, it doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    morsmordremorsmordre Posts: 990 New Member
    edited July 2009
    whats EULA?

Woooow. It's that tl;dr text you "agree" to before installing the game.
    4. In exchange for the right to use content contributed by other users through the Software, when you contribute content through the Software, you expressly grant to other users of the Software the non‐exclusive, perpetual, transferable, worldwide, irrevocable right to access and use, copy, modify, display, perform, and create and distribute derivative works from, your contributed content in connection with the Software, and to distribute and otherwise communicate your contributed content as a component of works that they create using the Software, for example, The Sims lots or The Sims videos, without further notice, attribution or compensation to you. You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution under applicable law with respect to EA’s and other players’ use and enjoyment of such content contributions in connection with the Software.
  • Options
    peaceloveharmonypeaceloveharmony Posts: 6,824 Member
    edited July 2009
    there's not much you can do :/
    i downloaded your jessica rabbit though, it's really good :D
    just report it and see what happens.
  • Options
    vera_blakevera_blake Posts: 3,016 New Member
    edited July 2009
    lolz, thats stupid, letting others copy your work and claim it as their own, this system is corrupt.
  • Options
    StatesxOnxFireStatesxOnxFire Posts: 14 New Member
    edited July 2009
    something should be done about the plagiarism. you're the one who spent all the time making her and then someone else goes and takes credit

really harsh :(
  • Options
    AldousCrodennAldousCrodenn Posts: 37 New Member
    edited July 2009
    and create and distribute derivative works from

Does not mean plagiarize. It means, "A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”." (Or, in simple terms things like a Re-mix of a song or a movie adaption of a book which makes changes to the source.)

Basically, what the EULA is saying is: "You are free to modify things other people make and then put them up." it says nothing about outright stealing. Thus, why there IS a report plagiarized material function. The copy part of the EULA refers, of course, to the Sims exchange and how you can put your things up there for people to "Download" aka "Copy" in legal terms. "display and perform" covers the showing of screenshots/showing on websites and playing as other people's Sims/Houses/Custom Content respectively

As for why they do nothing...maybe they have SO MANY reports of it and other things that they have not just gotten around to seeing it yet?
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited July 2009
    I don't think anyone's plagiarised my creations yet, but if anyone sees any repostings of my stuff could you let me know. All the creations in my studio are unique and were created by me.
    raw
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Evil_One wrote:
    I don't think anyone's plagiarised my creations yet, but if anyone sees any repostings of my stuff could you let me know. All the creations in my studio are unique and were created by me.

your creations have been jinxed...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    vera_blake wrote:
    Evil_One wrote:

your creations have been jinxed...

Actually Myriel Black got 99 downloads in the first two days.
    raw
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    something should be done about the plagiarism. you're the one who spent all the time making her and then someone else goes and takes credit

really harsh :(

yes! like the wicca43 said above.. it makes no sense for a plagiarism button when nothing gets done about it.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i think they sort it out if multiple people report it.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    As for why they do nothing...maybe they have SO MANY reports of it and other things that they have not just gotten around to seeing it yet?

hmm i don't know but it looks like everyone who has reported something have been ignored. as if they are ignoring 'report plagiarism' all together.
  • Options
    AldousCrodennAldousCrodenn Posts: 37 New Member
    edited July 2009

hmm i don't know but it looks like everyone who has reported something have been ignored. as if they are ignoring 'report plagiarism' all together.

Hm. That is more then a bit off putting if it is true then.
  • Options
    johnwaltermanjohnwalterman Posts: 624 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Just give us the offending user's username, and we'll SHUN HIM/HER FOR A SIMILLION YEARS!!!
    Even if the EULA doesn't protect your work, I don't see why EA would tolerate people copying stories and creations. It just makes clutter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Evidently reporting people for plagiarism does nothing because that little rat KevinK(MAJOR lot thief) is still around and he's stolen even more.

http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?persona=KevinK&assetType=lot
    raw
  • Options
    johnwaltermanjohnwalterman Posts: 624 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Evil_One wrote:
    Evidently reporting people for plagiarism does nothing because that little rat KevinK(MAJOR lot thief) is still around and he's stolen even more.

http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?persona=KevinK&assetType=lot
    He even has 75 recs...if I wanted a lot with a rabbithole on it I would make it myself.
  • Options
    ToffeeandApplesToffeeandApples Posts: 241 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Theres nothing you can do, so take it as a compliment that people would want to pass off your work as their own.