Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to get your guard dog to catch burglar?

It happens twice. I set the dog to the "guard the house" command. Then the burglar came, but the dog did nothing. There weren't even a "catch the burglar" interaction. :shock:

What give? :!: I even try to put in a burglar alarm the second time but all it did was to summon a policeman. :roll:

Can someone please tell me how can it get it to guard the house and catch the burglar?

Comments

• Options
    ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    edited October 2011
    Did your dog possess Aggressive trait? I believe that's required. Not 100% sure though.
  • Options
    CloudwalkerNZCloudwalkerNZ Posts: 1,343 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Obscurus wrote:
    Did your dog possess Aggressive trait? I believe that's required. Not 100% sure though.

Yes. I give him aggressive, hunter, adventurer. :mrgreen: but there is no mean interaction with the burglar like with other sims.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2011
    I'd like to know how to get this to work too. :? I had my dog on guard, (she has the aggressive trait) and when the burglar came, she followed him around and sniffed him and let him steal my shower! :-o When other sims or animals come by, the dog has the option right away to fight or chase but with the burglar I tried clicking and there was nothing like that! Now my sim needs to sponge bath at the sink because the burglar got away. :twisted:
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    MAXoutMAXout Posts: 666 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I had the same problem and posted about it a little while ago.
    Someone responded that it's a bug.
  • Options
    LunarBreeLunarBree Posts: 131
    edited October 2011
    Man, I wish I knew how to fix this problem.
    I told my dog, Gem, to guard the house and a few minutes later, a burglar comes from the back door. I think she jumped my fence, but is that possible? :shock:
    Anyway, the alarm goes off and Gem does nothing!! He'll go back into the house and " act negatively towards the burglar ".
    The good thing is SHE stole nothing. :-o
    The bad thing is that she beat up the police officer and got away.
    :roll:
    P.s This happened two times exactly the same. Same burglar and same police officer. :?
    P.🐸🐸🐸🐸 Enjoy this picture
    screenshot_original.jpg
    :lol::mrgreen:It's a Kangaroo Deer!!
  • Options
    LittleMissShibbyLittleMissShibby Posts: 704 Member
    edited October 2011
    u need 2 tell ur dog 2 gaurd ur house, then u hav a much better chance of them catching a burglar
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited October 2011
    u need 2 tell ur dog 2 gaurd ur house, then u hav a much better chance of them catching a burglar

I'm doing that. I've done it every single night, and my dog has the Aggressive trait too. The dog sometimes doesn't even notice the burglar walking right past him! He just stands there and looks around! (and, no, he's not a Doofus or whatever the dim-witted trait is called)

I've tried many different ways to get my guard dog to attack burglars, and I can't figure it out. All my dog wants to do is Follow.
  • Options
    cbrock7cbrock7 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2011
    Camkat wrote:
    I'd like to know how to get this to work too. :? I had my dog on guard, (she has the aggressive trait) and when the burglar came, she followed him around and sniffed him and let him steal my shower! :-o When other sims or animals come by, the dog has the option right away to fight or chase but with the burglar I tried clicking and there was nothing like that! Now my sim needs to sponge bath at the sink because the burglar got away. :twisted:

lol, that was too funny, I'm crying here!
  • Options
    LordDarthSimsLordDarthSims Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2011
    LunarBree wrote:
    Man, I wish I knew how to fix this problem.
    I told my dog, Gem, to guard the house and a few minutes later, a burglar comes from the back door. I think she jumped my fence, but is that possible? :shock:
    Anyway, the alarm goes off and Gem does nothing!! He'll go back into the house and " act negatively towards the burglar ".
    The good thing is SHE stole nothing. :-o
    The bad thing is that she beat up the police officer and got away.
    :roll:
    P.s This happened two times exactly the same. Same burglar and same police officer. :?
    P.🐸🐸🐸🐸 Enjoy this picture
    screenshot_original.jpg
    :lol::mrgreen:It's a Kangaroo Deer!!
    it is little funny about the fact that the you said the same Burglar same police officer i wasn't making fun of you was I? I would certainly hope not.
  • Options
    Katty0Katty0 Posts: 3,907 Member
    edited October 2011
    I believe it is a hidden skill they have to develope...
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited October 2011
    My dog wanted to sniff the burglar and my horse kicked the thief and the thief ran off without stealing anything...XD!! The horse had the brave trait.
  • Options
    LOLitzmeLOLitzme Posts: 485 Member
    edited October 2011
    Camkat wrote:

Lol it's always the shower!!! :)
  • Options
    DuckypantsDuckypants Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2011
    my dog scared away one burglar, but the other three that hit my house went un-noticed by my dog. Luckily, my sim took care of another one, and the police took care of the other one. I've noticed that burglars hit houses sooo much more than in the sims 2. Its kinda annoying.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited October 2011
    I had a burglar that came in the middle of the day! All my animals got the "Act Negatively" (I wanted my unicorn to curse the burglar, but I can't even get it to curse the dang paparazzi that keeps showing up :roll: ), and my Sim started freaking out -- fortunately I had the burglar alarm installed so the police came and got the dude.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    AmberKotoriAmberKotori Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited October 2011
    My cat will chase away the paparazzi but not burglers, been thinking of adding a doggie in game.
    456932bd-d82f-41e3-ba07-e3cbab1b5ebc_zpsfu64k4v0.jpg
  • Options
    MamiiGoodMamiiGood Posts: 947 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I ask my 2 dogs to guard the house at night and when the burglar comes they both run up and start growling at him/her and then she burglar leaves. The dogs manage to get him/her before it even gets in the house 8)
  • Options
    TINA180TINA180 Posts: 683 Member
    edited November 2011
    I basically put an alarm next to my mailbox.. :lol: I got tired of the burglar showing up like twice a week! Also I had the same cop who would come over and get beat up every time. Then My Sim would have a go at the burglar afterwards! :evil: she always seem to get away. I eventually had to befriend the cop, invite her over, and give her some lessons on martial arts and being athletic, so she can catch the annoying burglar! lol

I just wonder does it take more than 1 dog to pull the chase burglar interaction? like a pack type of thing? idk
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    LittleDoeeLittleDoee Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Although this may not be right, i didn't necessarily "catch" a burglar, but my dogs did bark at her and the wish was completed. Maybe i got lucky? i don't know. haha :!:

My dogs (german shepherd and alaskan malamute) both have aggressive, hunter, genius, loyal and adventurous. I've been testing this for night upon night. When i first started testing this, my pets had no skill or no tricks. just the traits. i set the dogs to guard the house (filled up their whole queue). The burglar came a few times (won't come if your sim has the negative moodlet saying they got robbed). But my dogs didn't do anything except "follow" and "react negatively". Same thing for a lot people. I took a break for a few days, by cheating, i got their hunting skill up to 10, both dogs. Set them to guard the house (full queue again) and the burglar came (along with the ice cream truck, which i thought was amusing). Before i didn't have a burglar alarm cause i was testing things, but i got one just incase this didn't work.

Alas! My german shepherd was the first to continuously bark at the burglar. (she was started ( :shock: ), frozen in fear and had the 'extreme' speech bubble atop her head with my german shepherd). She didn't even make it to the door! And the wish my dogs had had been fulfilled. I honestly don't know if i got lucky, or did something right. But! might as well give this a try! :D

In Short:
    - aggressive trait, hunting trait (genius trait helps with learning this) (whether the other traits are needed is unknown)
    - hunting 10
    - burglar alarm just in case :)

*** so i've tested this theory over 10 times. and it works like a charm! good luck! ***
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SulSulQueenSulSulQueen Posts: 156 Member
    edited December 2011
    My dog started barking at the burglar ( waking up everyone in the household ) followed him and eventually evicted him outside. My horse showed up making a lot of noise directed at the now outside burglar. One of my sims called the police. My cat's back arched sharply, the hair on her fur stood upright and she started hissing at the burglar ! ( the most amazing interaction in pets !! ) Finally the police came and arrested the burglar !

Dogs, cats and horses do not need the agressive trait. My dog also runs after the mail man ! Very funny !!
  • Options
    Simsvevo1199Simsvevo1199 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi, Well maybe Give it the agressive trait and make your pet really good at hunting and then try it out?... :D hope it works!♥333..
  • Options
    BetheljenBetheljen Posts: 6 New Member
    edited January 2012
    I have never asked any of my dogs to guard anything. So imagine my shock when grim came to take an elder sim, her inventory placed in her son's and all of the sudden she's back from the dead...why? Because the dog went after the reaper and saved her from death.
    Didn't see that one coming at all!!
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    Camkat, lol I just laughed so hard :lol: . My doggy wouldn't go after the burglar either. He came twice and both times the same old lady cop showed up and both times when they fought HE won and he got away with this huge grin on his face grrrrrr :evil: . Stupid old lady, can't I just trade her for another cop?
  • Options
    SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited January 2012
    Oops double post stupid dang site going down constantly and I couldn't tell if it had posted or not. :x
  • Options
    tanzanitecoil17tanzanitecoil17 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2012
    Guys, I know the solution!!!
    Don't make your dogs guard the house! It's like a code for the burglars to come! They come LESS often when your not guarding they come MORE often when you do, I set 2 of my dogs (aggressive, hunter and adventurous) to guard the house, one of reacted negatively, the other didn't do anything. They stole my computer! As for making them CATCH the burglar, I'm sorry, I don't know. But to partially help, don't make them guard the house :)

Hope I helped.
  • Options
    tanzanitecoil17tanzanitecoil17 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2012
    EVERYONE!!!!! I GOT THE ANSWER!!!!

Okay, set your dog to guard the house, right? When you hear the burglar music and such, delete all other actions that the guard dog has in the queue. So say if I told him to:
    Guard house|Guard House|Guard House|Sleep Here|
    Then you would delete all other actions except the first one, the guard the house one. When the burglar nears, she will start panicking and a thought bubble with the dog comes up, she then runs away off the lot. Some other neighbors might come and also start panicking, though. Here's a link to my video of my dog chasing the burglar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjQqr-Htjm4

Give me feedback :)