Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Simmers Build Computer?

Just wondering how many people built their own computer? I plan too when I find a job.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    Rud3Rud3 Posts: 1,020
    edited August 2011
    i do

• Options
    gr1zzlygr1zzly Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited August 2011
    I have built several. I had one custom built with all the latest gadgets, because I wasn't comfortable with the software.
  • Options
    Powergamer63Powergamer63 Posts: 19 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I built my computer as well :)
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited August 2011
    Yep, I have built my own as well.
  • Options
    AlorielAloriel Posts: 36 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I definitely do custom built computers. Typically, I also assemble them myself. However, lately, I'm just too busy to take the time, so I get a local shop to do it for $75.

Was there something in specific that you need to know before you buy?
  • Options
    Garnet_AlexandriaGarnet_Alexandria Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited August 2011
    I do, though The Sims 3 wasn't the only/primary reason for it. It was built around late 2007/early 2008 and is still going fine. It has seen upgrades over the time since.
  • Options
    mumupusmumupus Posts: 68 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I just did.
  • Options
    MichilineMichiline Posts: 62 Member
    edited August 2011
    I built my own a few months ago. It's my most prized possession. :D If you are an above average/intermediate computer user you can do this. It's very satisfying and you get a way better computer than what the big names sell. As HP exits the pc market and tablets and other dedicated mobile devices are forced upon us, custom builds are becoming more popular. It makes me sad to see the decline of the desktop pc, because I'm afraid software makers are going to follow and stop making good programs. It's already happening with pc gaming thanks to the popularity of game consoles.
  • Options
    TiffanyLea007TiffanyLea007 Posts: 1,068 Member
    edited August 2011
    I plan too when I find a job. It's been awhile since I been to school, so I'll be doing a lot of reading before I start and I have to save up. But I'm going all out when I do build one, I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon after it's done.

But just wondering what would be the best specs for a computer build for the sims? I know what EAs specs are but I feel with all the eps and downloads it's not enough. I have a wish list on newegg, and a good book I downloaded for free. I can't wait to start. :)
  • Options
    ShanmarieShanmarie Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2011
    I built mine online with Dell,funnily enough I built it to match/higher requirements of the Sims 3 :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I have a laptop with 4gbs and a maybe 4 yr desktop with 2gbs and new graphics card geforce gt430. The sims did play ok on laptop till town life now loading way too slow. But I was wondering if I had 8 gbs of ram and had one boot for the sims would it load faster? Like how it takes a few seconds for objects to load on a lot or for cas.
  • Options
    gr1zzlygr1zzly Posts: 7,566 Member
    edited August 2011
    It would depend on 3 things.
    1) How much RAM the laptop can use. You can check here:
    http://www.crucial.com/?gclid=CPPKkPbk5aoCFQ0S2godB0EX9g&cpe=pd_google_us&ef_id=TaNOKHtCCnwAAAr-:20110823160125:s
    2) What O/S you have, 32 bit or 64 bit. 32 bit will only recognize 3.25 to 3.5., so 4 gigs is max. 64 bit O/S would depend on the computer.
    3) How many back ground tasks are running.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2011
    Hi,

Does it count if I had someone build it for me? I told them what I wanted... ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    That counts. I'm looking at the lanboy air red case.
  • Options
    MACRONAUTMACRONAUT Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2011
    I built my latest pc 2 years ago as a budget price games machine, with Sims 3 in mind.
  • Options
    lilcasslilcass Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited August 2011
    I want to.
  • Options
    x0holly0xx0holly0x Posts: 412 New Member
    edited August 2011
    My dad built mine ;D
  • Options
    PinkDaggerPinkDagger Posts: 912
    edited August 2011
    My brother built the one I'm using now, but he routinely builds his own. I haven't had a need to build myself a new one yet, but I do plan to when the need arises. Right now, all I have on my plate for computer projects is to get moar RAM, which thankfully this motherboard can still handle, but it'd be at its cap once I do.
  • Options
    GeezerPunkGeezerPunk Posts: 131
    edited August 2011
    I've been building computers 30+ years going back to the Kim-1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIM-1. I do it both for myself and also have at many of the different jobs that I have had.

GP
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited August 2011
    I built up my current desktop.....though im not a tech freak. It requires just a basic understanding of the stuff inside the chassis...and knowing which wire connects to what lol.

But with most pc hardware being plug and play now...its just a case of putting in a motherboard...sticking in ram ...cpu...graphics card ....connecting the power supply...one or two sata cables...sticking in a windows installation disk and letting it do the rest.

Sure its not super simple, simple...but its not rocket science either :)
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2011
    Haiden wrote:
    I built up my current desktop.....though im not a tech freak. It requires just a basic understanding of the stuff inside the chassis...and knowing which wire connects to what lol.

But with most pc hardware being plug and play now...its just a case of putting in a motherboard...sticking in ram ...cpu...graphics card ....connecting the power supply...one or two sata cables...sticking in a windows installation disk and letting it do the rest.

Sure its not super simple, simple...but its not rocket science either :)
    It's been a while since I've had to build. Last time I built three, one for myself and two more (one for each kid). Since everyone is/has moved to laptops I haven't had to but I do still have a desktop that works as my LAN/Network. But if I ever move my office upstairs, I will probably build another desktop as I'll use it more.

And yeah these days, basically what Haiden said. If you're going to spend money, do it yourself and get the good stuff rather than giving it to someone else for labor. :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I can't wait to start building a computer. I think i'm going to get the Lanboy Air Case in Red, unless something newer comes out by then. I just wish they had it in Sims green. :)
  • Options
    EverettEverett Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited August 2011
    Just built one yesterday to replace my ancient 2004 machine.

Mobo - Asus P8P67 Pro
    CPU - Intel Core i5 2500
    Memory - Kingston 8GB DDR3-1333
    GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Sound Card - Asus Xonar DS PCI
    Hard Drive - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA3
    DVD Drive - Asus 24x DVD-RW
    Case - Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid-Tower
    PSU - Seasonic X 560W
    CPU Cooling - Gelid Tranquillo
    Thermal Paste - Arctic Cooling MX-2
    OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2011
    I had my husband build me a gaming computer, but now I have an iMac. I still have my custom built gaming pc but I use my mac for the sims 3. :)
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    BoltzY2kBoltzY2k Posts: 11,123 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Me but I don't know if I'm doing it right.