Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So What Was The Big Surprise?

My computer wouldn't let me watch the demo all the way through and the written summery didn't mention any huge changes/ surprises. Just curious cos it said they were gonna announce it at the end of the chat :-)

Comments

• Options
    XxAkiraXx1XxAkiraXx1 Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited August 2011
    Didn't think there was one :/
  • Options
    ScylScyl Posts: 461 Member
    edited August 2011
    I didnt watch the video yet cause i cant make it play (tried switching browsers, didnt help) but apparently we get ghost pets/playable ghost pets
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited August 2011
    I was watching the replay and it wouldn't stop lagging and chopping and freezing. Oh well.

I *think* the surprise was Unicorns.
  • Options
    ameracis578ameracis578 Posts: 1,067 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I watched it all and basically it was a demo of a household and a tour of the town. Stuff like that nothing big.
  • Options
    clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited August 2011
    There was a LOT.

Unicorns leave this little smear trail of their fur colors.
    Unicorns can make rainbows (an unfinished one). :lol:
    Pets have memories.
    We saw how ant farms work.
    We saw this dinosaur place.
    We saw how unicorns make fires.
    We saw some tricks dogs can do.
    We saw some horse courses.
    We learned that cats seem to have a lot of interactions with a child...
    ... and we saw how CREATE A PET WORKED. I mean, you can drag the patterns all over their body and expand them...
  • Options
    PixelRainbowPixelRainbow Posts: 865 Member
    edited August 2011
    They showed us gameplay of the unicorns which was really cool :)
  • Options
    CadereLunaCadereLuna Posts: 109 New Member
    edited August 2011
    I watched the demo and the "big surprise" was unicorns. The entire thing was mostly answers to questions that most of us on this forum have been aware of for awhile now, or at the very least, going over information that had otherwise already been revealed. We did get to see a nice lengthy gameplay demonstration, though.
  • Options
    Kat1Kat1 Posts: 120 New Member
    edited August 2011
    cool sounds very exciting! I like the idea of playable ghost pets, does this mean ghost sims will be playable too? :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Kat1 wrote:
    cool sounds very exciting! I like the idea of playable ghost pets, does this mean ghost sims will be playable too? :D

Ghost sims are already playable :)?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Really?!?! Cool! Its just that my sim died the other day and so i was thinking it would be cool if we could play our sims ghosts after they had died.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Kat1 wrote:
    Really?!?! Cool! Its just that my sim died the other day and so i was thinking it would be cool if we could play our sims ghosts after they had died.

If you keep their gravestone you'll get an option to bring them back by the science building but it goes 'wrong' and then you have a playable ghost :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    wow thanks! i shall definitely have to try that one :)
  • Options
    KatelynRocksKatelynRocks Posts: 355 Member
    edited August 2011
    Does anybody have a link to where to find the demo video?
  • Options
    wewed12wewed12 Posts: 383
    edited August 2011
    Does anybody have a link to where to find the demo video?

http://simsvip.com/

Scroll down untill you see it.

• Options
    ArielPreizArielPreiz Posts: 473 Member
    edited August 2011
    Neither link is working for me it stops about 1:30 into it
    Origin ID: EsmeGraham
  • Options
    BlackGuardianBlackGuardian Posts: 309
    edited August 2011
    The developers always promise a "big surprise" with every chat they do. They did it with Town Life and Generations, yet nothing was announced. From what I've seen of the chat, they didn't announce anything that "big" this time either.

Kind of misleading. I'm not sure if they're doing it on purpose though. Hopefully they aren't. (Then again, with Town Life it really did feel misleading, they announced nothing in that chat).
  • Options
    ThetfordThetford Posts: 2,114 New Member
    edited August 2011
    The developers always promise a "big surprise" with every chat they do. They did it with Town Life and Generations, yet nothing was announced. From what I've seen of the chat, they didn't announce anything that "big" this time either.

Kind of misleading. I'm not sure if they're doing it on purpose though. Hopefully they aren't. (Then again, with Town Life it really did feel misleading, they announced nothing in that chat).

You have to remember how much of the details have the primary source from EA (i.e. they telling with full knowledge to a fansite or fans directly, and how much is given from data files, accidental leaks (whether on purpose or not). Officially, unicorns, the town, the equestrian systems have only just been announced, despite in reality having prior public knowledge. It's like how the contents of the Queen's Speech is reported on by the media before she actually says it.
  • Options
    esperonza16esperonza16 Posts: 3,830 Member
    edited August 2011
    ArielPreiz wrote:

Me too! It's driving me up the wall! I wish it was on youtube. >_<
  • Options
    GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited August 2011
    ArielPreiz wrote:

Me too! It's driving me up the wall! I wish it was on youtube. >_<
    same here, i wish it was on youtube also.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited August 2011
    They big suprise was the unicorn, but they did mention that this was no suprise for the hardcore sim fans.
  • Options
    HatingHating Posts: 86
    edited August 2011
    clubers wrote:
    There was a LOT.

Unicorns leave this little smear trail of their fur colors.
    Unicorns can make rainbows (an unfinished one). :lol:
    Pets have memories.
    We saw how ant farms work.
    We saw this dinosaur place.
    We saw how unicorns make fires.
    We saw some tricks dogs can do.
    We saw some horse courses.
    We learned that cats seem to have a lot of interactions with a child...
    ... and we saw how CREATE A PET WORKED. I mean, you can drag the patterns all over their body and expand them...

Where did you get that demo?
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited August 2011
    Thetford wrote:
    You have to remember how much of the details have the primary source from EA (i.e. they telling with full knowledge to a fansite or fans directly, and how much is given from data files, accidental leaks (whether on purpose or not). Officially, unicorns, the town, the equestrian systems have only just been announced, despite in reality having prior public knowledge. It's like how the contents of the Queen's Speech is reported on by the media before she actually says it.

Fair point. I mean, if we didn't have those patch files we would've had NO IDEA about Unicorns. It's not EA's fault we found those things - maybe it was? - but imagine if we didn't, then that Chat really WOULD'VE been a surprise.
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited August 2011
    Honk honk :D
    Where is that video you all are talking about? Link pleeeazze.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options
    fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited August 2011
    As usual the surprise was that there wasn't one. I think they make these videos for people who don't have a clue, so likely they'd be surprised by some of it. Problem is that as the videos are usually linked here, the majority of people who watch it already know everything contained in it.

Sparks come out the unicorns rear end when it runs, is that a surprise?, or they have a dinosaur sculpture set up as a 'tourist trap' and around it there are dinosaur bones, is that a surprise?

As for leaked info, well if EA really wanted to keep a secret, they could. Surely they're not that haphazard a company as to let people sneak info out that is intended as a secret. They also released the patch officially and they are fully aware that people like to dig through the files. Nothing is ever an accident.

That EP isn't finished yet and at the time that patch was given, the unicorn would likely have just been a concept, they tested us and they got the feedback they were looking for.