The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I play with real people?

Also.. Am I able to type to them & not just fart about with animations & gestures. :x

Comments

• Options
    EsmeaEsmea Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2009
    Um... you can't. You play the sims. You can make them look like people you know, but that's it.
  • Options
    JoeBloggsJoeBloggs Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Says on the back cover.. "show off your movies and sims online".. and a picture with a ton of people at the beach and a car, I've never seen so many people when im playing & every screenshot you see on this site or the cover has a tone of people, thats kinda misleading.. & why the hell customize ur home, clothes furniture and have sports cars etc and EA expect you to pay for them.. & you cant show them off to other people.. apart from that dumb upload thing should you bother to even do that.. makes no sense, people cant give you praise for the one kitchen chair that you uploaded, id rather it be like.. come over to my house.. theres my car.. this is the house.. thats a designer kitchen.. lets go out the back.. I predict many expansion packs for this game.. including an online mode thats if someone doesnt make a mod where you can play it with other humans..

:x NOT HAPPY
  • Options
    comicalcupcakecomicalcupcake Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2009
    If you want that, get a PS3, you can make a character and hook it up to the PS3 network and interact with other people's avatars. That's not really the point of this game. When there are people at the beach or whatever on the box, it's because your sim can now throw parties at neighborhood locations.
  • Options
    JoeBloggsJoeBloggs Posts: 16 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Well.. by the time you have messed around with he control system to make some friends the sims 4 wil be out.
  • Options
    ValagilValagil Posts: 391 Member
    edited June 2009
    EA tried the online thing with The Sims Online. Unfortunately it was a major flop. They just found the online play does not really work with TS. To be honest, I would rather not play online. A Sims MMO is just not my idea of fun. I don't play Second Life for the same reason. Sorry you felt mislead.

• Options
    HysteriaHysteria Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    TSO was great in the beginning but seems like EA didn't want to improve further and let it rot.. but with Sims3.. i don't rule of the TSO with Sims3 setting.

8)
  • Options
    TheZivaTheZiva Posts: 568 New Member
    edited June 2009
    "I liked my first life so much, I made a second one."

--Dwight Schrute

On why he made a virtual character just like himself.

A sims 3 mmo would be great, but I predict most people would pick to be a Crime Lord, because we want some action and such in our mmos.

I think if they wanted to do an mmo, they would need to break the mold of "one person = one character" and have you manage a household within a single dynamic virtual community.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    SymbelinaSymbelina Posts: 88 New Member
    edited June 2009
    It's a computer game not an online game. Sorry. There used to be TSO as someone said. I was a beta tester/founder player for that game. It wasn't much like the actual game, and it's since disappeared.

You can upload movies you make using the game (machinima) and share that way. You can upload things you make to the Exchange. But you can't play 'live' online with other players. That is a whole other animal.

There are online games and communities but TS3 isn't one.

(PS of course the advertising looks tons better! It's advertising! ;) )
  • Options
    lisfyrelisfyre Posts: 215 Member
    edited June 2009
    JoeBloggs, I'm with you there but I'm not for an MMORPG for The Sims 3. I've got EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG and Warhammer ONline for that. No, what I would like to see is a multiplayer game where my family can sit at our computers (we have 4 networked ones) and play together in a separate hood for multiplayer and not having any of our personal hoods touched. That's what I would love to see and I've been asking for multiplayer mode for awhile now.

As for the PS3, is there a PS3 version of TS3 coming out soon? I'm asking because we have TS2 for the PS2 and we'd love to have this for the PS3 so that the WHOLE FAMILY can play TOGETHER!!
  • Options
    Nu_Clear_DayNu_Clear_Day Posts: 469 New Member
    edited June 2009
    JoeBloggs wrote:
    Says on the back cover.. "show off your movies and sims online".. and a picture with a ton of people at the beach and a car, I've never seen so many people when im playing & every screenshot you see on this site or the cover has a tone of people, thats kinda misleading..
    I think you're just misinterpreting it. You can get quite a lot of people in one place, but it takes some effort - there's only so many Sims in the game, and they're all going about their lives. There has to be a reason for them to congregate all in one area like they show on the box. That's just advertising - primarily they're trying to show you the variety of Sims you can make with the game.

And you can show off your Sims and Movies online - but it never says that anyone else is actually going to care about yours. :) Different people get different things out of playing the Sims - some like to share their stuff, others just like to play. Others have more fun just creating houses and the like - and it's a long-standing tradition that the Sims games let you upload those to the website to share. More to encourage those players than anything else.
    JoeBloggs wrote:
    & why the hell customize ur home, clothes furniture and have sports cars etc and EA expect you to pay for them.. & you cant show them off to other people.. apart from that dumb upload thing should you bother to even do that.. makes no sense, people cant give you praise for the one kitchen chair that you uploaded, id rather it be like.. come over to my house.. theres my car.. this is the house.. thats a designer kitchen.. lets go out the back.. I predict many expansion packs for this game.. including an online mode thats if someone doesnt make a mod where you can play it with other humans..
    I'd say you have the same chance of recognition getting people to view your uploaded stuff as you would if it were online. You'd still have to find a way to stand out from the millions of other users. Your friends might be interested in seeing what you've done with the game - but most everyone else isn't going to be terribly concerned unless you've done something really creative. :) Whether or not it's Online or not isn't really going to make a difference there.

ie, if the only people you're going to be able to get to look at your stuff are your own friends and people you've already met - then it doesn't really matter whether it's Online or not.

(Plus, like other people have said - they already tried a Sims Online. While on some level it might sound like a good idea on paper - it eventually tanked pretty bad. I'd really doubt EA's going to be interested in trying to go back down that road again. It's a lot of work doing Online games; and it's already been proven that it's not worth the effort.)
  • Options
    rpgmom29rpgmom29 Posts: 122 Member
    edited June 2009
    I am curious as to why it tanked. What about the idea didn't work, and why did the number of subscribers drop so fast? I played it for around five months or so, and enjoyed the pizza game and code machine, and had a blast creating lots and socializing with folks. I ended up leaving because people began to get militant about the mini games, especially the code machine. You'd have to have printed out a cheat sheet for every possible combination and go down a list as to which to press when, and if you didn't have the sheet you'd be kicked out. Some lots even had signs telling you in what order you were supposed to 'green up' for maximum efficiency. The money-making grind began to become excessive.

I'm wondering if it could be redone in a productive way with modern graphics and new ideas- I mean, completely dissect TSO and see what needed to be changed and how it could be made more enjoyable. More like TS3 or something of that nature.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Honestly, I doubt there's anything you can do about it in Sims 3, but I too wish there was an online game. when you make your real friends and family on Sims it would be cool if they could actually be them, and interacting with people could actually be fun since you are talking to a real person. There are roomers that Sims 4 will have online game play. The reason the online thing didn't work before is because when they brought it out the internet was still pretty new couldn't keep up with the Sims. Point is i say the Sims 4 is worth the wait. Judging that all the games come out for years after the prior game, I am pretty sure it should come out in 2013 or at most 2014. Now if it comes out in 2013 we aren't too far.If in 2014.. well still worth the wait to me. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited November 2012
    tiffanytheone1997 first let me Welcome you to the forums. Hope you join in and we get to be freinds with you here with the rest of the regulars.
    Now you may have noticed this thread is really old. bring it back up is called necroing a thread, and generally we rather you didn't.

heck there even ARE online features to this game now though not in the sense the OP was asking for. Anyway when you go about the forums keep in mind old threads are usually kinda irrelevant to be poking back up. No worries though! \

I personally used to think and online version sounded fun, but the online sims failed because , this game isnt really that kind of game, it'd be something else all together. The vast majority of simmers I think don't want that.

anyway welcome to the forums, don't forget to look at the rules (give this heads up to everyone it's always a good idea) just so you dont accidently do anything you shouldnt.

Have fun! and feel free to start your own threads.
  • Options
    yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2012
    rpgmom29 wrote:
    I am curious as to why it tanked. What about the idea didn't work, and why did the number of subscribers drop so fast? I played it for around five months or so, and enjoyed the pizza game and code machine, and had a blast creating lots and socializing with folks. I ended up leaving because people began to get militant about the mini games, especially the code machine. You'd have to have printed out a cheat sheet for every possible combination and go down a list as to which to press when, and if you didn't have the sheet you'd be kicked out. Some lots even had signs telling you in what order you were supposed to 'green up' for maximum efficiency. The money-making grind began to become excessive.

I'm wondering if it could be redone in a productive way with modern graphics and new ideas- I mean, completely dissect TSO and see what needed to be changed and how it could be made more enjoyable. More like TS3 or something of that nature.
    Here are the top 6 reasons:

6. Even a caveman would see that TSO as an MMO was completely stupid. If KPSP was the only SP that came out for TS3, playing 1 free hr of this on TS3, would be priceless value for your buck compared to playing 10 hours of TSO. :lol:

5. The Grind. The socializing factor of TSO apparently never materialized, because it fell victim to ppl constantly having to make money to progress in the game :lol: I suspect folks ditched TSO when they realized the constant grinding to level up for success wasn't exactly fun. Especially since more action doing this could be had playing WoW :lol:

4. Ability for inappropriate interactions between irl children and adults. There were no restrictions on romantic interactions for ppl avatars. So a 9 year old child could end up being subjected to harrassment from grown ups etc.

3. TSO became a cesspool for juvenile delinquents and adult miscreants who turned TSO into their own personal cy.b.e.r chatroom. ppl could pay simoleons for cy.ber p.orn/sex.chat favors to other ppl. These deviants could then covert the simoleans they received for their "services" into real money.....

2. The existence for #3 and #4 made it a haven for pedobears, p.e.d.ophiles and other sick assorted nuts to have illicit communication and inappropriate cy.ber interactions with children.

and the #1 reason:

Online scams like thefts etc. perpetrated by professional virtual griefers. One of the most infamous of these is the nefarious Evangeline, whose Machiavellian exploits are recorded for posterity here:

http://www.salon.com/2003/12/12/sims_online_newspaper/

I'll never understand why folks are so dead set on having a TS3 version of TSO. If all they want to do is chat/experience social media--instead of playing a standalone sandbox game--then why the heck won't they play Sims Social or Second Life? :? Or better yet, just wait until TS4 comes out? :? Because when it does, the Sims franchise will be completely unrecognizable by then.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,560 Member
    edited November 2012
    About the sims 4 I would be ok with the option to have either online or single player mode. I'd pick single but I'd like the option for online if I ever wanted to try it.

Also how did this topic wind up in the store forum? This forum is about stuff that comes from the sims 3 store not about features in the game. That belongs to expansion packs or new sims games in the future.
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited November 2012
    I hope it never, ever ends up that way or I will be quitting the sims. And I love this game to pieces, so, that should say alot.
  • Options
    RuffPuffianRuffPuffian Posts: 101 New Member
    edited November 2012
    This thread was made in July 2009. O_o How did someone even manage to find it without using search?

Anyway, I'm sure there is already a game like it (online simulation) somewhere. An MMO without the fighting... I think it's called Second Life? Eh, there are some weird people playing that game, lol.
  • Options
    becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited November 2012
    You CAN play an online type of sims games with other people's sims...on Facebook Sims Social (it's kinda addicting), then there is Second Life as well.

For the graphic intensive, design your own map world we have now...I don't think it would work very well.
  • Options
    AshleyMarie54321AshleyMarie54321 Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    Ive been wondering the same thing but I just got the game like 5 days ago and dont have any friends on it so honestly I wouldnt know but you can feek free to add me
  • Options
    lydiad206lydiad206 Posts: 3,747 Member
    edited January 2014
    Why does this keep getting bumped?

tumblr_mymr0vKZHb1snv4ozo1_500.gif
    er0s4g.jpg
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited January 2014
    People search in Google and the topic comes up. But they don't check the dates. It happens. It's actually really interesting to go to the beginning of these forums and see what people thought of the Sims 3 in 2009. Hint: They hated the online store concept.... :)
  • Options
    slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited January 2014
    I was a founder for tso it was great for few years but got boring the it was mainly a social and skill game,i owned maney number 1 skill lots but got bored easily. EA lost interest and it declined quick
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited January 2014
    JoeBloggs wrote:
    Says on the back cover.. "show off your movies and sims online".. and a picture with a ton of people at the beach and a car, I've never seen so many people when im playing & every screenshot you see on this site or the cover has a tone of people, thats kinda misleading.. & why the hell customize ur home, clothes furniture and have sports cars etc and EA expect you to pay for them.. & you cant show them off to other people.. apart from that dumb upload thing should you bother to even do that.. makes no sense, people cant give you praise for the one kitchen chair that you uploaded, id rather it be like.. come over to my house.. theres my car.. this is the house.. thats a designer kitchen.. lets go out the back.. I predict many expansion packs for this game.. including an online mode thats if someone doesnt make a mod where you can play it with other humans..

You can upload videos, you can share your Sims and the homes you build. If you are looking for online interaction and praise for your creations perhaps you are playing the wrong game and should look into something else.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited January 2014
    JoeBloggs wrote:

You can upload videos, you can share your Sims and the homes you build. If you are looking for online interaction and praise for your creations perhaps you are playing the wrong game and should look into something else.

JoeBloggs is probably not reading this since he posted that comment in 2009.
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited January 2014
    slamonda wrote:
    I was a founder for tso it was great for few years but got boring the it was mainly a social and skill game,i owned maney number 1 skill lots but got bored easily. EA lost interest and it declined quick
    I still use a lot of the stuff from it - most of it has been converted for use in Sims 1. I only discovered TSO after it was already gone... I still think I would have liked it.