Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Seasons + Farming Idea

AquiasAquias Posts: 1,742 New Member
I thought it would be fun to mesh the two idea together. Here is what I would like to see:

Season

Winter: Brings Rainstorms, Thunderstorms, Hailstorms, Snowstorms, and light snow. Sims can build snowmen and make snow angels. Ponds and lakes freeze over; Sims are able to place an ice fishing hut. This season contains the New Year Festival. Garden plants are dormant. Honey Bee's are dormant.

Spring: Brings Rainstorms, Thunderstorms, Hailstorms, and light snow. Wild flowers spring up and garden plants become active again. Honey Bees become active. This season contains the Flower festival. June Beetles appear with Spring Rain.

Summer: Brings Thunderstorms, Hailstorms, and Drought. Cicadas become active during the day, katydids and crickets become active at night. Wild Berries are available. This season contains the Fun in the Sun Festival.

Autumn: Brings Rainstorms, Thunderstorms, Hailstorms, and light snow. Deciduous plants turn orange and red, then drop leaves. Wild Mushrooms are available. This season contains the Harvest Festival.

Build Mode

Greenhouse: Sims are able to build a Greenhouse to grow garden plants in any season. Greenhouse material includes walls, roof, sprinkler system, and compost bins.

Buy Mode

Honey Bee Box: Allows for a new Bee Keeping Skill. Bees are most active in Spring and Summer. Honey Bee Box yields Honey, Bees Wax, and Royal Jelly.

Chicken Coop: Allows Sims to raise Chickens for Eggs and Compost.

Produce Stand: Allows Sims to sell garden produce from home, farmers market or at festivals.

Ice Fishing Hut: A portable object that allows Sims to Fish on the Ice during winter.

Juicer: Turns fruits and vegetable into juice.

Volley Ball Net: Used to play Volley Ball.

Community Lots

Farmers Market: Sims are able to sell Produce, Fish, and other home made products. Festivals are also held at this location.

Skills

Bee Keeping: Sims keep bees to make Honey, Bees Wax, and Royal Jelly. Mastering this skill allows the Sim to control the swarm; sending them to attack another Sim.

Herbalist: Sims can collect wild and garden herbs to turn into salves, tinctures, and teas. Herbal products can be sold and used to relieve nausea, burns, and stings; products also raise or lower certain Needs and add moodlets.

Garden Plants

Maize (corn): Used as a food for Sims and as feed for animals.

Aloe Vera: Combined with Beeswax to make a salve for Burns and Stings.

Ginger: Made into a tea to relieve Nausea.

Ginseng: Made into a tincture to slow energy decay.

Ginko Biloba: Made into a tincture to increase skill learning rate.

Orange: Can be eaten fresh or juiced.

Lemon: Can be eaten fresh or juiced.

Blueberry: Can be eaten fresh or used with cooking skill.

Blackberry: Can be eaten fresh or used with cooking skill.

Raspberry: Can be eaten fresh or used with cooking skill.

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Any thoughts or ideas?
  • Options
    HolzibellHolzibell Posts: 1,092
    edited June 2011
    I love all of your ideas! They're great, this would make a very fulfilling EP. I'll come back to you if I can think of some ideas to add ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I'm back with some ideas...

So I like the whole farming thing being completely linked with the seasons of the year however I think there should be some other seasony things for sims to do too:

Snowball fights, playing in the leaves, waterfights, sunbathing, jumping in puddles, taking out umbrellas in the rain. Laying on rugs in front of the fire, cooking marshmellows at the fire, children go on parents shoulders (Comes in handy watching firework displays)

Other details could be added:
    Sims get suntans, sims get colds if they're not dressed appropiately to the weather, sims get a chill if they spend to long outside.

Festivals/celebrations:
    Pumpkin Festival - Sims race through the seasons to grow the biggest pumpkin - there will be a festival held in Autumn to judge who has the biggest and best pumpkin.
    Firework Night - Held at the central park, a massive firework display is held where sims can have sparklers and bonfires and watch firework displays.

New objects:
    Ice cream van
    Ice cream making machine (using the new fruits you can have e.g, blueberry icecream)
    Reefblower
    New car: Snow Plow

New Negative Moodlets:
    "sniffles" - when a sim is catching a cold and starts sneezing
    "headcold" - Sim is ill with a cold - bed rest, fluids and soup gets rid of this moodlet quicker.
    "Sunburn" - Sims have sunburn from staying out in the sun for too long and are advised to stay indoors until the burns cease.
    "Gloomy weather" - the rain has been pouring for a couple of days now and sims are really getting down about it
    "Struck by lightening" - Sims are advised to go to hospital when this happens.
    "Stung by a bee" - Ouch! You may need some herbal homemade ointment on that sting.

New Positive Moodlets:
    "Blue sky" - blue skies means a happy sim
    "Winner" - winning the pumpkin festival leaves a smile on your sim for days
    "Leafy fun" - playing in leaves leaves your sims with exciting adrenaline
    "Great snowman" - when making a good snowman, your sims are really chuffed
    "Yummy Honey" - Eating homemade honey leaves your sim proud and full of delcious honey.

Thats all I can think of atm :D
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I love those idea, Holzibell!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thankyou! It's all up to your great ideas that started to get my mind flowing in the first place, it was fun :D
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Aquias wrote:
    Spring: Brings Rainstorms, Thunderstorms, Hailstorms, and light snow. Wild flowers spring up and garden plants become active again. Honey Bees become active...

Honey Bee Box: Allows for a new Bee Keeping Skill. Bees are most active in Spring and Summer. Honey Bee Box yields Honey, Bees Wax, and Royal Jelly.

I LOVE your ideas! I am a beekeeper, so of course your idea about the Beekeeping skill sounds AWESOME to me!

* Your Sim could purchase beekeeping equipment and hives, and order packages of bees through the mail (or collect swarms - they could even receive a Challenge call to collect a swarm at City Hall or the Library, or at a friend's house).

* There could be a new Beekeeping skill, and your Sim could increase that skill by reading books or exercising it, just like with Tinkering, Inventing, etc.

* Your Sim could purchase a beekeeping workstation that allows them to extract and bottle honey from their hives, and also make lip balm and various types of candles from the wax. These could be used in the home, given as gifts or sold at the grocery store, just like produce.

* Of course, there would be a random chance of accidents for novice beekeepers (getting stung, bees evacuating the hive - a.k.a. "swarming" - and these accidents would happen less and less frequently as your Sim's Beekeeping skill increases)

* As your Sim's Beekeeping skill increases, your Sim may get "magic" honey that has special properties if consumed (perhaps could even bring a Sim back to life, if there are Death Flowers on the property).

* If there is a garden on your Sim's property, the plants would produce more fruit (and BETTER fruit) if your Sim also has bees!!

* New items in the EP could include the workstation, hives, bee-themed kitchen decorations, beekeeper suits and funny bee costumes for kids and adults and new flowers and flowering plants.

* New ambition rewards could include "Master Extractor" (lets you extract more honey from your hives) and "Sting Proof" (your Sim never gets stung!). Maybe your neighbors are afraid of bees and will complain about your new hobby... or maybe an Evil neighbor will try to steal honey from your hives with comical results :)

* New Challenges await... the local bistro or grocery store might want several jars of honey, or maybe the elementary school will ask you to give a lecture on beekeeping, or maybe the military will ask you to help them breed ATTACK bees!!!

This could add an interesting dynamic to the game - it could even effect the entire town your Sim resides in, since bees travel many miles to pollinate flowers. It could also be educational... while your Sim develops their skill, you could get little tidbits about the life and work of bees. Perhaps EA could even sell special bee-related items in the Sims Store and donate a percentage of the proceeds to bee research (to help build up the population - look up "colony collapse disorder" online for more info).

Sorry for such a long post - I am passionate about this idea and hope that EA will read this post and consider it for an upcoming expansion pack!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So many more good ideas. I plan on keeping bees one day.
    In real life I study botany, gardening, and herbal medicine. All three if these things I would love to see reflected into the game. What's enjoyable about this game is the healthy mix of realism and fiction. We can create who we want to be or who we want to see.
  • Options
    clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited June 2011
    I would also like strawberries.
  • Options
    AngeliaAngelia Posts: 52 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Herb gardening is good. I would like to see more herbs in TS3.
    Berries are also nice. I want to make ice cream with various fruit flavors on summer!
  • Options
    Danny68Danny68 Posts: 524 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Love your ideas!!
    The beekeeping is similar to that of Makin Magic, I really enjoyed that. I think you should be working at EA. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That would be cool to have an icecream maker.
  • Options
    AmyAckzienAmyAckzien Posts: 23
    edited July 2011
    I love your idea!!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It would be neat if we could have pet pigs and ducks as well.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    icelandicsimsfanicelandicsimsfan Posts: 42
    edited July 2011
    Aquias wrote:
    It would be neat if we could have pet pigs and ducks as well.

that would be awesome, and cows!! if there is going to be ice cream you would need milk (or cream but thats just being overly specific) but you could have cows to get the milk and the better you take care of them or have some general farm skill that would include the bee keeping skill the better quality the milk is, like with fruit and vegetables. and you could combine that with fruit in the ice cream machine to make different kinds of ice cream. but you would also have the option to buy milk in the supermarket if you can't be bothered with the cows and the farming, and you could sell the milk.

But you can't send them to the slaughterhouse, that would just be sad, I prefer the current hamburger plant for that. Lets not have The Sims TOO realistic :wink:

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I don't want to see any animals killed.
    Goats can also be milked.
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Nice ideas! I would support the idea of a seasons EP so much more if they brought farming to it.
  • Options
    chris1858chris1858 Posts: 531
    edited July 2011
    I LOVE THIS
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It just seems to make sense that farming aspects would go well with seasons and weather.
    With out a doubt we will get a weather ep. I do have doubt we will ever see a farming based ep though.
    I really hope they implement this.
  • Options
    itsmetosha123itsmetosha123 Posts: 124
    edited July 2011
    love the ideas!
  • Options
    funnykidfunnykid Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2011
    Great ideas!

I would love it if EA calls it "The Sims 3: In Season"
  • Options
    gamer174gamer174 Posts: 44
    edited July 2011
    I think it would be funny if your beekeeping skill is low (or your Sim has the Unlucky trait), your Sim could accidentally cause a bee swarm (but can't die from it)!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    gamer174 wrote:
    I think it would be funny if your beekeeping skill is low (or your Sim has the Unlucky trait), your Sim could accidentally cause a bee swarm (but can't die from it)!

That would be funny.
  • Options
    KatlinemasKatlinemas Posts: 835 New Member
    edited July 2011
    This is a great idea. Sims3 feels like its more based around community than just home life and the mainstay of many communities is the farmers market.

Great ideas! You have my support!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nearly every culture in human history has practiced farming, with the exception of nomadic cultures. modern people couldn't survive with farmers, albeit there is a lot of backward techniques these days. The sims is a people simulator so it would make sense to be able to raise animals, grow more crops, and have farmers markets.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The ability to make jam, jelly, marmalade, and pickles would be cool.