Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Story Progression is the worst part of this game.

Comments

• Options
    gigglebasketsgigglebaskets Posts: 59 New Member
    edited July 2009
    umm i downloaded the patch and turned story progression off and it is still going... i dont get it??? i know the patch installed because my time speeds are moving much faster... so ... whats going on????????????
  • Options
    BeccareeBeccaree Posts: 436 Member
    edited July 2009
    umm i downloaded the patch and turned story progression off and it is still going... i dont get it??? i know the patch installed because my time speeds are moving much faster... so ... whats going on????????????

The patch didn't fix the story progression problem. :cry: The faster times are nice though.
  • Options
    pumpkin324pumpkin324 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I didn't know what was happening because I was just playing on a family, and then when I looked at the neighbourhood, A family with one woman had a baby. She had no romantic interest or boyfriend and she wasn't married. I though it was strange but now I know what's going on.
  • Options
    ladydragonaeladydragonae Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I kind of like it, to be honest. I can't say how much I hated the old crowd in Sims 2, you know, Goopy, Marisa, Meadow and so on, got to the stage where the first thing I'd do upon starting a new neighbourhood was murder the lot of 'em.

I like that it keeps my neighbourhood fresh but yes, I could do without the random deletion. I also dislike it when Sims move house randomly when I put them there for safekeeping... I made a girlfriend for one of my Sims, came back to find she'd moved in with the Altos... Much grumbling on my part.
  • Options
    saieluvsaieluv Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2009
    [quote=joyce19791]
    the `only-parent children` is a glitch, and after I downloaded the patch, it stopped.

I don't think it is a glitch. And the patch didn't stop it either.
    I play a legacy and I switched household for a couple of sim-hours, to move my spare into his own home, invite over his grilfriend, get married, try for a baby.
    In those couple of hours, my founder (father of heir and spare, already an elder at the time) spawned a child! [/quote]

Really!? A young adult male left his parent's home and moved into a nice place. Because his family is so large, he has five younger siblings, I went back to his parents so I could check up on his teenage twin sisters-who were about to age anyways. When I returned to the young man he wasn't the only one present! He had a little baby in his household, and I'm "Wth!?" I had no idea what happened. Is it possible for a female to do the same?

I really did believe I had done something to my sim named Alphonse.
  • Options
    VikkieVikkie Posts: 175 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i downloaded the patch as well AND turned off story progression...its not a matter of forgetting (as someone said then it was our fault) its that turning off story progression does NOT work. can't play more then one family at a time in a saved game....i would really like to but i can't so i switch back and forth between 4 saved games...i would really like to have all 4 of those families in the same town/saved game but i don';t because i don't want to loose any of them. shrugs
  • Options
    AlindaAlinda Posts: 80 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I think I've got the perfect solution to story progression: a lock option. I personally think story progression is a good idea, but sometimes it just goes to far.

Here's how the lock button should work. If you lock a sim/household, story progression (and maybe aging? Whatever you prefer.) will not affect them. I want story progression turned on for my townies. (I can't control them anyways!) However, I'd like the option to control my own sims, whether or not a certain household is active. If I were to want story progression turned on for one of my households, I'd simply unlock them. The whole neighborhood will flow as it would, except for your locked sims and households.

Possible solution, yes?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized the Awesome Mod will do just that. Wow, it fixes every game issue I can think of. I'm not sure if I should download a mod though. I don't want my computer to crash or anything, but it's tempting. I don't even know if it works on PC.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    terripieterripie Posts: 15 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I am finding no difference with it on or off. It is always the same. Nothing ever changes it stays the same. I leave my game for several days and when I get back to playing it, its the same as when I left. I wish something would happen it is getting boring.
  • Options
    4katsuki4katsuki Posts: 1,550 New Member
    edited July 2009
    People be quiet. This is one of the listed positive adds to the game, you knew that the town would carry on going as you played but you still bought the game.
    Plus, The story progression is just an extra tool to learn to use, if you keep slipping up on remembering to switch it off when there's important bits, it's your own fault tbh.

I knew that other families would have children get jobs etc whilst i wasnt playing them. What i didnt know was that children would pop out of single parents and have no father/or mother. and i didnt know families would move out of town, nor did i know inventories would be wiped out when changing households. i dont mind the rest of story prog :?
  • Options
    Author_is_meAuthor_is_me Posts: 141 New Member
    edited July 2009
    yeah i was playing one family on Riverview and another one of my favorite families went on with their lives, and the next thing I know, the girl is pregnant and has triplets!
  • Options
    SoulpeaceSoulpeace Posts: 23 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Does Epic help with this problem? I'm using Epic most of the time now. Also, if you concentrate on just one family can you prevent that family from disappearing? I'm concerned. My dd 10 plays and I'd hate to see her family just disappear she's been playing.
  • Options
    BeechwellBeechwell Posts: 292 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Soulpeace wrote:
    Does Epic help with this problem?
    In Epic, things happen less, but they still happen. So it will be less likely to lose a particular family, but it still may happen eventually.

Anyway, I can only recommend either the awesomemod from MATY or the IndieStoneMod from ModTheSims. I prefer the latter, since it doesn't stop the game for several seconds each night and provides detailed options for story-progression both per neighbourhood and per individual household.
  • Options
    ShinyRainbowShinyRainbow Posts: 17 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Three words:

The Awesome Mod

It makes the game play the way you want it too with story progression on.

For once - God Bless Pescado!

All the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that Awesome Mod does... should have been in the game to begin with.

I have seen a few people talking about this thing that AwesomeMod has made - has anyone actually got it and is using it? Have you experienced any problems? Because I would love to be able to turn the story progression on but lock some families from moving out at random. I wouldn't mind if they got married, had babies, got promoted etc. I just don't want families that I have spend hours on building skills to just disappear!!

BTW, what's "Epic"?
  • Options
    dajghoti25dajghoti25 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited July 2009
    What bothers me is that townie sims and previous family member sims move out of town too frequent. Some have shrugged it off as "story progression" but really what does this "mass exodus" have to do with the story of my lone sim. Should my sim be looking for a way to leave Sunset Valley? His family and friends have all left Sunset Valley. Was there a plague? I mean, like, when he got on his bike to go visit his parents and the house was vacant. They just packed up and left, with no forwarding address. He probably wouldn't have minded as much if he was a loner. Well...Good riddance!

I had already posted most of this in the thread " What is the 1 thing that bothers you about TS3"

Now having read some of the other posts I realise that my sim could have found out that his parents moved away by reading the newspaper. I just thought the papers were for looking for jobs. The real world has messed me up soooo much that I forgot that you could actually get "news" from the "papers". LOL!
  • Options
    PoetJonesPoetJones Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I rather like the story progression but i guess that's because none of my sims moved out yet, lol. Well, one did; a sister moved out but i think it was because the other sister was having too many kids and there wasn't even room for her to stay. Maybe sims move if they have baby's when you're not playing the house and there's no room? or if they feel like it, i guess. I had about four different houses before i had to reinstall the game to get the update and only 1 sim ever moved out. Maybe it's a matter of space?
  • Options
    sierrajoliesierrajolie Posts: 229 New Member
    edited July 2009
    While I understand your point of this debate, I actually love story progression. I used to have such a hard time playing my big familys when the older siblings moved out because I would have to switch familys and age them up. I hated that if I moved out my sims child, she would stay a teenager forever until I played her again. Now, when I choose my heir, I move out the other siblings, and they age up just the same, so everything works out, and theres no second generation brother flirting with the fourth generation heir.
  • Options
    SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
    edited July 2009
    So far I'm fine with story progression and I have it "on". What i really didn't liked are babies without fathers. I hope it will be fixed.
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Sorry if I’m digging up an old thread but I just noticed it and wanted to chime in my two cents.

I agree the story progression is flawed and it becomes more and more apparent when your family starts to enlarge and grow up thus children moving out and having their own lives.

I like story progression; I want story progression as I hated in SIMS 2 you’d have younger siblings become older siblings etc… if you didn’t get around to playing all households equally. Or the sims you never played never dying off. lol But I’d like some check off boxes per lot/household as to what parts of the household can progress along automatically.

Like a few others have mentioned…. I can’t imagine this is how EA envisioned story progression to work within the game after hours and hours of playing. To me it screams flaw.
  • Options
    judithclareagnesjudithclareagnes Posts: 16 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Getting back to the random baby spawning, I get that it's annoying in that it's unrealistic. But one solution I have is that if my sim moves in with another with an unwanted baby in tow, I just us 'testingcheatsenabled true' to age the baby up right away and move it out! :) It's still not realistic but at least it helps if a baby has messed up a storyline you had planned!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ibaeshaCibaeshaC Posts: 679 Member
    edited July 2009
    If Awesomemod isn't for you, google Indie Stone Story Progression. IMO, it is what Sims 3 story progression should have been, but isn't.

Sims will marry, have children (not spawned clones), get jobs, promotions, etc.
    Gallery: ibaeshaC
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Getting back to the random baby spawning, I get that it's annoying in that it's unrealistic. But one solution I have is that if my sim moves in with another with an unwanted baby in tow, I just us 'testingcheatsenabled true' to age the baby up right away and move it out! :) It's still not realistic but at least it helps if a baby has messed up a storyline you had planned!! :mrgreen:

Interesting idea. The longer I play the more baby spawning I incur. It’s starting to get old with so many babies landing on front porches. If this was the intended part of the game I would at least like it to list who’s the lucky ‘other’ parent.
  • Options
    Greta248Greta248 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I am glad for story progression only because I don't want to switch families, because of the loss of wishes and moodlets.

All I wish is that you could exempt individual households from it. Okay they could go about everyday lives, but could not have major things happen without agreement.

My sims I want to control. Sims already living in the town can do what they want as long as they don't hurt my sims.

Also it would be a good idea to at least notify us if something happens even if we can't stop it. Then if it is too terrible we can exit without saving.

Give us choice please.
  • Options
    amandapoo227amandapoo227 Posts: 35 New Member
    edited July 2009
    stellabluu wrote:
    Please, fix the 'dumbed down' switch, EA

The whole point of these 'god' games is that I, the player, control the game. If I wanted to be passively entertained by storylines I can't impact, I'll go to the movies, watch tv or read a book. Hell, I can go to the park and watch 'em pass on by for free.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I never did much of the "legacy" playing style. So this is totally new for me and I don't like it too much. Now I haven't yet experienced any of the spontaneously baby having or moving and deleting but i'm not happy to be hearing about it.

I want change... this can not stand.

I want to be "God" as some of us are now calling ourselves. I want to move someone in next door to my sim sand they be friends, start dating, get hitched, woohoo, and what not. I liked taking two households and bring them together.

Tomorrow I'm taking another go at this legacy style playing and check out this story progression what not some more but I'm sure like most of you'll, I wont be happy.
  • Options
    DoubleDash7DoubleDash7 Posts: 28 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I haven't had any problems with it so far, but some of the problems people have been posting here is making me think twice about leaving it on. It seems really stupid for the game to randomly add children to sims or delete them to make room for other sims. :x
  • Options
    0Braydz00Braydz0 Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I know what you mean, I created a hobo dude once and made him live in some Cabin thing. when i went to play for another family he had a child. :x