Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION

Comments

• Options
    HarvasaurusHarvasaurus Posts: 60
    edited June 2011
    I don't know why people would be offended, unless they were a homophob but thats just stupid anyway, having sexual orientation in the game would be greet, especially if they built in features like coming out and stuff. However if this was to come I guess it would have been in generations :/ ...
  • Options
    CouriervaughanCouriervaughan Posts: 20,570 Member
    edited June 2011
    I am gonna get nice and comfy for this...

garfield_popcorn.gif

LOL
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited June 2011
    ladynaava wrote:
    I actually think Jarsie is right on with this. I don't want switches to select my sims sexual orientation. One of the things I like about sims is that its no big deal if your sim is straight, gay, or bi, and that these are all treated pretty much as non-issues.

The option for us to choose our Sims' orientations would not change how their sexuality is treated as an non-issue in the game.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited June 2011
    double-post. sorry
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited June 2011
    it depends on your perspective. making a sim only gay, straight or bi, does place undue emphasis on the fact.

plus, players can already choose their sims orientation via gameplay.
  • Options
    EvilJasonEvilJason Posts: 81 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Using the Master Controller mod, I haven't had a single issue after setting my particular sim's gender preferences.

I simply set his male preference to -100 and his female to 100 he has NEVER gone gay on me. The same goes for if a male sims hits on him, setting the preference in the mod helps, but generally I have to remove my sim from that situation, or if the other male won't let up (it does sometimes occur) I simply tweak the relationship so that they are not friends and likely never will be. and that usually does the trick.

That said, EA SHOULD put the option in the game, there are people out there who have distinct visions for their sims and if they absolutely WANT their sim to be gay, it should be an option for them to make it so, and vice versa. This game is supposed to be about playing in the world YOU want to play in.

I personally am not gay, I know people who are, I am friends with people who are, and quite frankly, I don't give a rat's hairy little bee-hind if they are. However, That doesn't mean that I accept it in my worldview as an acceptable alternative either.

This is my point, In MY sim's world, there are homosexuals and they are welcomed to it, but MY sim will never be gay, as I will not allow it. If my sim happens to think a particular female sim is hot and she is a lesbian, it is simple for me, I set her to prefer men and have him hit on her, sometimes I don't even do that much and hit on her anyways and he almost always gets the girl. As long as I can change their preference if I choose, I am happy.

My only real complaint in this situation is that EA's particular system for this doesn't give enough control to the players in this regard. When I meet sim after sim after sim and find that almost EVERY couple in the game is a same-sex couple, it's rather annoying.

In my opinion, it is obvious that EA needs to at least tweak the percentages, facts are facts and there aren't nearly as many homosexuals as there are heterosexuals in the real world. This should be the basis for the world we all start off in in the Sims games. They could then add a slider or option to add more homosexuality and bisexuality to the game. Or you can just get a mod like Twallan's story progression and use that in place of EA's flawed system.

Having said all of this, if you are homosexual, bisexual or whatever, don't reply with a snippy comment, I don't care. To each his own, It is simply not a viable alternative in my particular worldview. My friends know where I stand on homosexuality and bisexuality, and they like me for me, And I in return like them for them.

They tell us to play with life, they need to give the all of the tools to do so.

• Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't know why people would be offended, unless they were a homophob but thats just stupid anyway, having sexual orientation in the game would be greet, especially if they built in features like coming out and stuff.

I totally want to do this in the game!
  • Options
    DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Being lesbian, I obviously am in no way against this; However, it would create so many problems. Either way, if you want a straight sim, then make them have relations with the opposite gender. If you want a gay sim, then make them have relations with the same. There is no sexual orientation because this way you can put your sims with whoever you want without causing an issue.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2011
    I've suggested this before. I really like the idea. I hate it when my intended-to-be-homosexual sims go off and get married to a woman when I leave them to their own devices in story progression
    I don't understand why people would be offended. Maybe that's just me being naive but I don't see the big problem.
    I don't think it'll happen though.

I have to agree. I rarely play gay or lesbian sims but I do have one lesbian couple and I don't want them flirting with males.
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited June 2011
    EvilJason wrote:
    There are actual settings in the game for sexual orientation, EA allows users habits to dictate how they change.

If you use Twallan's Master Controller, you can set gender preference on any sim you choose.

It's neither here nor there, since Twallan in his infinite wisdom allows access to this setting with his awesome mod.

This. :!:
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited June 2011
    EvilJason wrote:
    Using the Master Controller mod, I haven't had a single issue after setting my particular sim's gender preferences.

I simply set his male preference to -100 and his female to 100 he has NEVER gone gay on me. The same goes for if a male sims hits on him, setting the preference in the mod helps, but generally I have to remove my sim from that situation, or if the other male won't let up (it does sometimes occur) I simply tweak the relationship so that they are not friends and likely never will be. and that usually does the trick.

That said, EA SHOULD put the option in the game, there are people out there who have distinct visions for their sims and if they absolutely WANT their sim to be gay, it should be an option for them to make it so, and vice versa. This game is supposed to be about playing in the world YOU want to play in.

I personally am not gay, I know people who are, I am friends with people who are, and quite frankly, I don't give a rat's hairy little bee-hind if they are. However, That doesn't mean that I accept it in my worldview as an acceptable alternative either.

This is my point, In MY sim's world, there are homosexuals and they are welcomed to it, but MY sim will never be gay, as I will not allow it. If my sim happens to think a particular female sim is hot and she is a lesbian, it is simple for me, I set her to prefer men and have him hit on her, sometimes I don't even do that much and hit on her anyways and he almost always gets the girl. As long as I can change their preference if I choose, I am happy.

My only real complaint in this situation is that EA's particular system for this doesn't give enough control to the players in this regard. When I meet sim after sim after sim and find that almost EVERY couple in the game is a same-sex couple, it's rather annoying.

In my opinion, it is obvious that EA needs to at least tweak the percentages, facts are facts and there aren't nearly as many homosexuals as there are heterosexuals in the real world. This should be the basis for the world we all start off in in the Sims games. They could then add a slider or option to add more homosexuality and bisexuality to the game. Or you can just get a mod like Twallan's story progression and use that in place of EA's flawed system.

Having said all of this, if you are homosexual, bisexual or whatever, don't reply with a snippy comment, I don't care. To each his own, It is simply not a viable alternative in my particular worldview. My friends know where I stand on homosexuality and bisexuality, and they like me for me, And I in return like them for them.

They tell us to play with life, they need to give the all of the tools to do so.

Very well said--I couldn't agree more. I'm not a homophobe either, but I just don't play that way. I don't care if others do, or if the option is available.

However, I would much rather EA concentrate on making a fully functional game that doesn't rely on mods than add a se.xual preference slider.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't minding gay/Les couples in my games. I have use master controller to make them gay
  • Options
    JerryNarutoUzJerryNarutoUz Posts: 652 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Simple, I don't want my gay sims flirt with girls, and I don't want my lesbians flirt with males, ok you can select this via gameplay, but when you change household, almost always It screws up and your gay ends with 3 children(It happened :( )
    And, I don't want mods, cheats to do this, simply a button that selects gay,straigh or bi, just as the favourite color, zodiac sign etc.
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2011
    EvilJason, what is the menu path in Master Controller to set a Sims gender preference?
    I've never seen it. I haven't really played with it much though. I know how to set celebrity level to 0 and how to raise skills...
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited June 2011
    You know, this is a good idea I guess. But since it would be offensive to some people, I was thinking that they should have an attractiveness rating (or something like that). It would show the other Sims that you aren't controlling how attractive you are. Because my triplets had 3/5 celebrity stars, and they were desperately asking other Sims out to prom. A lot of them rejected and I'm like are you serious? They are prettier and are more famous then you are, stupid.

So yeah....But it's a vague idea that doesn't need to be addressed any time soon.

YESSS! An attractiveness scale! I started a thread on this, but I don't think it got very far lol. I think it should be like a slider or something.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I would be a good feature, as then the parents can either accept it or not. Its real.
    Daniblee wrote:
    Being lesbian, I obviously am in no way against this; However, it would create so many problems. Either way, if you want a straight sim, then make them have relations with the opposite gender. If you want a gay sim, then make them have relations with the same. There is no sexual orientation because this way you can put your sims with whoever you want without causing an issue.

How ever I do agree with Daniblee, both of us being gay/lesbian, the game needs to be open to the player so sexual preferance shouldn't be like a random thing (like it is in real life) the player should be able to push the sim in either direction. With me I wouldn't want to see a box in create a sim asking is this sim, gay, bi or straight. We should simpley be able to push a sim towards it and with that it opens up new interactions and such. Like the "Come out" interaction I mentioned earlyer.

With memorys being brought into the game in Generations I think it would be good as some may have a good experiance at it, and for some others it could turn sour.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited June 2011

I would be a good feature, as then the parents can either accept it or not. Its real.

That's what we don't need.

Choosing a Sim's sexuality itself is fine, but Sims should still act like it's a non-issue, because really it is a non-issue.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    barisaxy wrote:

Choosing a Sim's sexuality itself is fine, but Sims should still act like it's a non-issue, because really it is a non-issue.

I totally agree its a non issue, and trust me I'm the last person you need to tell that to. The point I was making is that people complain that it isn't real enough, so consider it little sarcasm. Also I'm not sure if it is a non-issue with Sims, my parent saw her son kiss his boyfriend and she throught of them with a cross type thing. :S
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2011
    barisaxy wrote:

I totally agree its a non issue, and trust me I'm the last person you need to tell that to. The point I was making is that people complain that it isn't real enough, so consider it little sarcasm. Also I'm not sure if it is a non-issue with Sims, my parent saw her son kiss his boyfriend and she throught of them with a cross type thing. :S

LOL! Maybe she didn't like public displays of affection. Or maybe she just didn't like the boyfriend for some reason. That is funny though.
  • Options
    EvilJasonEvilJason Posts: 81 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Suceress wrote:
    EvilJason, what is the menu path in Master Controller to set a Sims gender preference?
    I've never seen it. I haven't really played with it much though. I know how to set celebrity level to 0 and how to raise skills...

I believe gender preference is under the intermediate section.
  • Options
    zollsazollsa Posts: 31 Member
    edited June 2011
    I think it would be awsome but EA has to think about the majority of people and hoe they feel and not only that they have to think about law suits and that.
    But i had an awsome idea they should bring out an 18+ game where they have this and you can do things like steal cars and do graffiti and things kids shouldnt learn to do
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    zollsa wrote:
    I think it would be awsome but EA has to think about the majority of people and hoe they feel and not only that they have to think about law suits and that.
    But i had an awsome idea they should bring out an 18+ game where they have this and you can do things like steal cars and do graffiti and things kids shouldnt learn to do

BAD idea
  • Options
    Danny68Danny68 Posts: 524 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I understand your idea, but I prefer to be able to change my sims orientation depending on certain situations.

People saying it would offend, that doesn't make any sense as all sims are already bisexual and no-one is offended by that. :)
  • Options
    simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited June 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    EA would not do that, and it's the sole reason why there is no sexual orientation at all in the game, no gay or straight, so people wouldn't get offended.

not true... now with sims haveing special astronomical signs, if a girl and another girl have signs that match the game will auto have them like each other and they will most likely get together via story progression. i have actually seen this happen in barnacle bay.

however yes i understand it's not real oreantation but it is something
  • Options
    sammisusammisu Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Absolutely genius! Once I made a sim that was SUPPOSED TO be a lesbian. I switched the household, switched back and she was making out with a MAN on her couch.

I have nothing else to say but that I agree with you. The more people that agree, the more likely it is that EA will do this. However it is not likely, due to the fact that there are still many homophobes in the world and alot of them looooooove The Sims 3. They would probably get really upset if they had that in it.