Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SEXUAL ORIENTATION

One thing I think should be included in a patch or update is the ability to change a Sim's sexual orientation. I know that you can have gay marriages, but all Sims are naturally bisexual. If you could change a Sim's sexual orientation and make them gay (or straight) I think it would be a great thing to include. :thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    overcookedburgerovercookedburger Posts: 2,152 New Member
    edited June 2011
    They wouldn't do that. But its kind of a good idea but it may offend some people. Personally I wouldn't mind it that much. It would make more sense. The title was a bit loud though. LOL :lol:
  • Options
    Checkmate187Checkmate187 Posts: 666 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I am gonna get nice and comfy for this...

garfield_popcorn.gif
  • Options
    overcookedburgerovercookedburger Posts: 2,152 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Its a shame the topic moved.
  • Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited June 2011
    EA would not do that, and it's the sole reason why there is no sexual orientation at all in the game, no gay or straight, so people wouldn't get offended.
  • Options
    EvilJasonEvilJason Posts: 81 New Member
    edited June 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    EA would not do that, and it's the sole reason why there is no sexual orientation at all in the game, no gay or straight, so people wouldn't get offended.

There are actual settings in the game for sexual orientation, EA allows users habits to dictate how they change.

If you use Twallan's Master Controller, you can set gender preference on any sim you choose.

I really don't see why being able to set orientation officially would be a big deal, it facilitates EVERYONE doing what THEY WANT.

Supporters of all sexual orientations would be able to set any sim to whatever orientation they like so that the world their particular sim is in suits the player's tastes.

It's neither here nor there, since Twallan in his infinite wisdom allows access to this setting with his awesome mod.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited June 2011
    One thing I think should be included in a patch or update is the ability to change a Sim's sexual orientation. I know that you can have gay marriages, but all Sims are naturally bisexual. If you could change a Sim's sexual orientation and make them gay (or straight) I think it would be a great thing to include. :thumbup:

It's up to the *player* to determine whether a Sim is gay or straight. If this works anything like the Sims 2 did, the player determines the sexual orientation of the Sim depending on which gender the Sim chooses to have romantic interactions with.

People are already complaining because they feel that EA limits their gameplay options. Why take away even more control from the player by putting this option in?
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    SIMplifiedSIMplified Posts: 4,536 Member
    edited June 2011
    Look if you want your sim to be homosexual then you play it to be homosexual. Yes we have mods that set preference but why when we already have the choice? I have homosexual sims in my game and I don't have SP, they do it on their own with story progression without me controlling them. It happens on their own.
  • Options
    JerryNarutoUzJerryNarutoUz Posts: 652 New Member
    edited June 2011
    This would maybe add some interactions.
    I agree with this, to have the option to select Homosexual or bisexual, suppose the situation of a girl flirting with a male Homosexual, and how would he react, it would be interesting I think.
  • Options
    KitKat383838KitKat383838 Posts: 1,405 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I Love the idea! I think its kinda an essential feature. And I don't see why it should OFFEND people. i mean, this IS the Sims right, where you can make people whatever you want them to be?
  • Options
    RavinOrvilleRavinOrville Posts: 179
    edited June 2011
    I've suggested this before. I really like the idea. I hate it when my intended-to-be-homosexual sims go off and get married to a woman when I leave them to their own devices in story progression
    I don't understand why people would be offended. Maybe that's just me being naive but I don't see the big problem.
    I don't think it'll happen though.
  • Options
    HARRYwasHEREHARRYwasHERE Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited June 2011
    This is perfect! I want this in my game too, it could add so much, and I don't think it would offend anyone unless they were really sensitive.
  • Options
    SoEasyBeinIzzySoEasyBeinIzzy Posts: 1,384
    edited June 2011
    You know, this is a good idea I guess. But since it would be offensive to some people, I was thinking that they should have an attractiveness rating (or something like that). It would show the other Sims that you aren't controlling how attractive you are. Because my triplets had 3/5 celebrity stars, and they were desperately asking other Sims out to prom. A lot of them rejected and I'm like are you serious? They are prettier and are more famous then you are, stupid.

So yeah....But it's a vague idea that doesn't need to be addressed any time soon.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't think it would be offensive, just because someone is gay does not mean they cannot have straight friends, nor does it mean that straight people can't have gay friends, the only difference would be that sims love interests would be more confined to one gender (or both if your sim is bisexual)

I love this idea because it would make it seem more realistic

(When it starts to maybe become offensive is when sims start reacting badly to gay sims, otherwise I see no bad aspects to adding this to the game)
  • Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited June 2011
    I don't see how adding gender preference would take control away from the players. I think it would give the players more control. People who use story progression might want to set certain Sims to a particular orientation (maybe in the hopes they will hook up with other specific Sims) but then find that the Sims married or hooked up with someone else.

Weren't we able to somewhat control this in Sims 2?

Hmm... Did Twallan make Awesomemod too? :-P

Btw, if anyone has more slider suggestions or ideas for things that they would like to see in the Create-A-Sim, please post them in my Create-A-Sim Overhaul thread. I'd love to just compile ideas and anything that I missed would be appreciated.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/391590.page
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I actually think Jarsie is right on with this. I don't want switches to select my sims sexual orientation. One of the things I like about sims is that its no big deal if your sim is straight, gay, or bi, and that these are all treated pretty much as non-issues.
  • Options
    KayleighmartinKayleighmartin Posts: 754 Member
    edited June 2011
    Im not really bothered tbh, i think if someone wants to make someone gay/straight then do it. But i also think it would be cool if you could set someone to gay and a straight person try and come on to them it would be nice to have a mix :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    well then if this was considered hopefully they could have a button to enable or disable it so everyone is happy :)

I agree its not so much of a problem in-game, however for sims in story progression it works, and also it would interesting for a female sim to go up to a gay guy and then get rejected because he's gay (instead of every sim falling for your sim simply because they used a romantic option)
  • Options
    dreamsong1968dreamsong1968 Posts: 4,473 Member
    edited June 2011
    EvilJason wrote:
    There are actual settings in the game for sexual orientation, EA allows users habits to dictate how they change.

If you use Twallan's Master Controller, you can set gender preference on any sim you choose.

I really don't see why being able to set oreintation officially would be a big deal, it facilitates EVERYONE doing what THEY WANT.

Supporters of all sexual oreintations would be able to set any sim to whatever oreintation they like so that the world their particular sim is in suits the player's tastes.

It's neither here nor there, since Twallan in his infinite wisdom allows access to this setting with his awesome mod.

This...and we can already adjust gender preference for our sims just by having them interact differently with sims of each gender. Romantic toward only the opposite sex=straight. Romantic toward only the same sex=gay. Romantic with both=bi.
  • Options
    Pcjunky13Pcjunky13 Posts: 407 Member
    edited June 2011

I agree its kinda weird if u have your girl married to a guy and then she flirts with another girl
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I love this idea! LOVE IT!

I don't understand why it's perfectly acceptable for the game's creators to allow Sims to be promiscuous with any and every adult Sim that walks down the street, but having an actual sexual orientation (and adhering to it) is suddenly taboo?
  • Options
    clubersclubers Posts: 7,958 Member
    edited June 2011
    Actually, they gain preferance after they make their first flirt.
  • Options
    Damaris1972Damaris1972 Posts: 29 New Member
    edited June 2011
    clubers wrote:

But they don't always STICK with those preferences. It's really way too easy to sway a Sim who is supposedly "straight" (married to someone of the opposite sex) into having an affair with their same-sex close friend. Real life is not like this. Straight guys just don't start flirting with their male buddies (and the male buddies readily respond).
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited June 2011
    While it's a nice thought and I'm sure a lot of people would like it as an option, it'll probably never happen.

Some people would get all offended and cause quite a stir. :lol: Sad how people think it's so taboo.
  • Options
    Renyc7Renyc7 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited June 2011
    clubers wrote:

But they don't always STICK with those preferences. It's really way too easy to sway a Sim who is supposedly "straight" (married to someone of the opposite sex) into having an affair with their same-sex close friend. Real life is not like this. Straight guys just don't start flirting with their male buddies (and the male buddies readily respond).

I agree with you here, this is the only reason I think they should include the option because it hard get your sims to stick with one perference.
  • Options
    CatLandCatLand Posts: 760 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I like this idea, but to do it I think asexual should be a preference too, not just bi, straight and gay. Not everyone in real life wants to get into relationships, so why force Sims to?