The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Convert captured video to an iMovie friendly format

As some of you may have noticed the video format that The Sims 3 uses when it records files, is not natively supported by OS X Leopard. This thread is here to help your convert the file into something Mac and iMovie friendly.

Step One: Download VLC Player located at this address: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Step Two: Copy the VLC Player Application into the Applications folder in your Macintosh HD

Step Three: Open up VLC player and drag the desired video file onto the VLC application itself. (Easiest if VLC is on your dock.)

Step Four: Click the “File” drop down menu up near the top left corner of the screen and select “Streaming/Exporting Wizard”

Step Five: Click “Transcode/Save to file then press “Next”

Step Six: Here you select “Existing playlist item” and press “Next”. Make sure that your video file is listed in the playlist.

Step Seven: If you want both audio and video to be converted tick both of the boxes for the corresponding media you wish to convert. For the “video codec” you will want to choose “H.264 Video” and set the “Bitrate” to 2048 or higher. For audio you want to select “MPEG 4 Audio” for the codec and can be set as low as 128kbps. Then you can click, “Next”.

Step Eight: You want to select “MPEG 4 / MP4” as the Encapsulation format. Then press “Next”

Step Nine: Press the “Choose” button next to the text field under “Select the file to save to”. This is where you can name your file and save wherever you would like on your hard drive. Then click “Next”

Step Ten: On the summary page, press “Next” and the re-encoding will commence!

The file will be converted and placed wherever you pointed VLC to export the file. From there you should be able to import the MP4 file into iMovie for editing.

Comments

• Options
    AllieboballyAlliebobally Posts: 33 New Member
    edited July 2009
    It worked but alas the sound didn't work. ???
  • Options
    RoffeyGleshRoffeyGlesh Posts: 579 Member
    edited July 2009
    Success! Thankyou mutelite, thanks a lot! :D
  • Options
    CorgwnArmadaCorgwnArmada Posts: 460 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Just another place where EA failed Mac users by using a port instead of native coding. I'm sure if they had mac programmers this never would have been overlooked.

I think I'm getting disillusioned with EA... but it's nice to know that other USERS are looking out for us, at least :/

Thanks Mutelight.
  • Options
    AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Mutelight you rock, and your guide is admittedly a thousand times better than mine was. :D Thank you for a totally free, easy-to-use solution to the AVI issue. I never thought of using VLC to transcode before, again thank you.

A word to the wise: If you're creating videos at 1024x768, expect to have a minute of footage maximum and 4GB files. Definitely keep this in mind if you don't have a lot of hard drive space. I've admittedly been converting my videos to NTSC/720x480 standard definition for editing purposes. I really wish EA gave us a 720p HD option though--I could have a lot of fun with that. :)
  • Options
    CoolpenguinsPlayCoolpenguinsPlay Posts: 15 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanx man! I've been wondering how to do that!
  • Options
    Ender155Ender155 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks a ton! I was about to give up on making movies in this game and go back to Sims 2, but this guide worked perfectly.
  • Options
    funnybone111funnybone111 Posts: 72 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks! I've been trying to find out how to do that for weeks! God I hate EA's so called movie maker.
  • Options
    Lorna_08Lorna_08 Posts: 174 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Thanks! I'll try it out later though!

*Bookmarks*
  • Options
    NewVRevisNewVRevis Posts: 13 New Member
    edited August 2009
    I use a Mac for Sims 3, but all my editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro and Vegas) is installed on a Windows partition via Bootcamp, so I have to put everything on an external drive and bring it over to Windows to edit. This is good to know, because I do plan on getting Final Cut when it's feasible. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    ChocolateChadChocolateChad Posts: 15 New Member
    edited August 2009
    ... Why didnt EA just make it in bloody .mov or .mp4 format to begin with?

That would be too bloody easy for Mac users thats why!

Argh! This didnt work either. Everytime I go to iMovie it says its not a valid format. :evil:
  • Options
    PirateBobPirateBob Posts: 27 New Member
    edited September 2009
    Is this going to be patched to support iMovie and Quicktime?
  • Options
    TinduTindu Posts: 128
    edited December 2009
    NewVRevis wrote:
    I use a Mac for Sims 3, but all my editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro and Vegas) is installed on a Windows partition via Bootcamp, so I have to put everything on an external drive and bring it over to Windows to edit. This is good to know, because I do plan on getting Final Cut when it's feasible. Thanks for the info!

Unsure of the size of your USB drive, but an easier way to do this is to use your "Users > Shared" folder and MacDrive (by MediaFour). not trying to promote anything/anyone, but i found this endlessly helpful when having to switch from one OS to the next. the program lets you read from your Windows Partition in Mac, and read/write to any 'shared' Mac folders in Windows. Nothing sucks more than having to reboot back into Windows/Mac because you forgot to copy across one essential file to the USB key.

mutelite wrote:
    The file will be converted and placed wherever you pointed VLC to export the file. From there you should be able to import the MP4 file into iMovie for editing.

On a side note, VLC users pls make sure you have updated your version of VLC to current. I was trying to do this with 0.86 (waaay out dated) and it would play the sound but not the video.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    BCCouchesBCCouches Posts: 3
    edited January 2010
    mutelight wrote:
    As some of you may have noticed the video format that The Sims 3 uses when it records files, is not natively supported by OS X Leopard. This thread is here to help your convert the file into something Mac and iMovie friendly.

Step One: Download VLC Player located at this address: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Step Two: Copy the VLC Player Application into the Applications folder in your Macintosh HD

Step Three: Open up VLC player and drag the desired video file onto the VLC application itself. (Easiest if VLC is on your dock.)

Step Four: Click the “File” drop down menu up near the top left corner of the screen and select “Streaming/Exporting Wizard”

Step Five: Click “Transcode/Save to file then press “Next”

Step Six: Here you select “Existing playlist item” and press “Next”. Make sure that your video file is listed in the playlist.

Step Seven: If you want both audio and video to be converted tick both of the boxes for the corresponding media you wish to convert. For the “video codec” you will want to choose “H.264 Video” and set the “Bitrate” to 2048 or higher. For audio you want to select “MPEG 4 Audio” for the codec and can be set as low as 128kbps. Then you can click, “Next”.

Step Eight: You want to select “MPEG 4 / MP4” as the Encapsulation format. Then press “Next”

Step Nine: Press the “Choose” button next to the text field under “Select the file to save to”. This is where you can name your file and save wherever you would like on your hard drive. Then click “Next”

Step Ten: On the summary page, press “Next” and the re-encoding will commence!

Yeah...It's not working.

First of all, there is no MPEG 4 Audio; I tried it - Wasn't there.

So how can I make my vids .mp4 if this crappy VLC app wont help?? I'm so annoyed at the Sims 3 Creators for not making these vids iMovie compatible.

Plz help!!
  • Options
    HartVitaHartVita Posts: 14 New Member
    edited January 2010
    sadly this didnt work for me.... i did everything you said but it wouldn't import
    great back to EA's "movie-maker" =(
  • Options
    love_ellie10love_ellie10 Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    everything was good but my videos play really fast on imovie. someone please help and tell me how to get them to play regular. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    GazmoetronGazmoetron Posts: 65
    edited July 2010
    Tindu wrote:

On a side note, VLC users pls make sure you have updated your version of VLC to current. I was trying to do this with 0.86 (waaay out dated) and it would play the sound but not the video.

I got this to work using Tindu's advice. I was so glad to see this post :) Thank you... it kinda sucks that if i want to make a movie i'll have to do these extra steps for each video i take lol but at least i know it's possible
  • Options
    PhoenixDiv2PhoenixDiv2 Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,115 Member
    edited January 2011
    everything was good but my videos play really fast on imovie. someone please help and tell me how to get them to play regular. :mrgreen:

Me too! Does anyone know why this happens?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    mattiemattie Posts: 19 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Just another place where EA failed Mac users by using a port instead of native coding. I'm sure if they had mac programmers this never would have been overlooked.

I think I'm getting disillusioned with EA... but it's nice to know that other USERS are looking out for us, at least :/

Thanks Mutelight.

Thank you so much! I thought I would be downloading a bunch of video converters but thanks to this the whole process is much easier.
  • Options
    AttixcusAttixcus Posts: 7
    edited June 2011
    Thanks so much! It worked great! :):lol:
  • Options
    regierregier Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    COME ON EA!! Help us mac users out. Sure you made the sims 3 dvd compatible with both computers (which i appreciate because I didn't have to buy another copy for myself) but COME ON!! Why can't we as mac users use this video recording as hassle free as PC users?

Also why is iMovie NOT compatible with .avi's?? They're one of the most common video formats out there. Srsly.
  • Options
    regierregier Posts: 3
    edited June 2011

you can get them to play in slow motion by going to the clip inspector. There is a slider there that says speed (you may have to click "convert entire clip").
  • Options
    mattiemattie Posts: 19 New Member
    edited August 2011
    Thought it worked until I realised the files when played were extremely jumpy. Anyone share this problem/know a solution?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I ended up managing to get it to work a while ago using VLC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdgHAj_BFMg

It's a bit stuttery because my fps is so low but other than that VLC converted it perfectly.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Double Post - how about fixing these forums too?!
    apple-signature.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top