Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Problems with "Family Inventory"

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    schnell0215schnell0215 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I was baffled by this problem after I moved Agnes Crumplebottom and her mummy into a new house. I couldn't use my sims' personal inventory or the family inventory, which was really a problem since I had lots of cool relics and all of her paintings that she did herself! I solved it by going on a trip for a few day. After I made it to Egypt, I could use all the things in her inventory and when I came back home I could move the things around in my family inventory. I hope this helps someone. I don't know how to fix it for the people that don't have the expansion, since it's effecting the original game too, but at least this is something. That said, we really need another patch!
  • Options
    sylviacritchsylviacritch Posts: 8 New Member
    edited February 2010
    The family inventory problem is driving me insane. Everytime I pick up an object and place it in the home, it remains in the inventory. The hand which indicates something has been picked up remains closed even when the item has been placed.
    Very annoying. :x
  • Options
    justjenjustjen Posts: 9 New Member
    edited February 2010
    Wow, I downloaded the newest patches and joy of joys, a patch actually fixed a problem for once!! Could they finally be listening??
  • Options
    schnell0215schnell0215 Posts: 25 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I have downloaded the most recent patch and I still have the problem. It happens mainly whenever I try to move Sims to a different house. After that, I have to take someone on a trip and then the problem gets fixed somewhat. The last time it happened (today) I had sell EVERYTHING in my family inventory to get it to stop though. Nothing would work. I lost all my sims paintings (and she is about to die now too so I won't have the time and patience to recreate them) and artifacts from her travels. She had the whole dangerous creatures collection from Egypt. :evil: Still not working for me but at least I can manage to get it under control and working again. Would be nice if it would be addressed permanently though.
  • Options
    LadyLaFleurLadyLaFleur Posts: 2,185 Member
    edited February 2010
    The latest patch didn't help. It only seems to happen when I've got a lot of things in my family inventory.
    "This game lends itself to certain abuses." - Calvin
  • Options
    jrfridgejrfridge Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2010
    this is also happenning to me when trying to take somehing out of the refrigerator :x
  • Options
    RandyWyldeRandyWylde Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I'm fully patched and current, but this is a giant problem for me as well. I moved my family taking care to take the things I wanted to keep. Well that didn't go well at all once we got to the new house. I got the cursor that wouldn't go away, and could place some things but not others; some it would appear I would place, then they would vanish as soon as I clicked somewhere else. I couldn't place anything and have it stay, so ended up having to "Sell all"; lost about a dozen paintings, and the artist sim is too close to death to recreate them. Lost rewards and achievements. Not happy at all. Even some of the stuff it appeared I was able to place disappeared off the lot when the inventory was sold. This is a pretty major technical flaw.
  • Options
    fangirledfangirled Posts: 33 New Member
    edited February 2010
    I have exactly the same problem with the Family Inventory. I got so frustrated, but luckily most of the stuff is replaceable. But is still sucks for the things like food and paintings! I can't believe it's been so long and it still isn't fixed. :evil:

Edit: Okay, once I had restarted my game, it worked, and I could remove and use all items. :roll:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    meselamesela Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I had the same problem too.I had it like four times and now I'm really insane about it today when I moved in to a new house my furniture got stuck in my family inventory and I had many important things in there and most of them was really expensive I need help!! :evil:
  • Options
    koifox_926koifox_926 Posts: 10
    edited February 2010
    I've had this problem for forever now. Hoped the new patches/updates would fix, but alas.

I've just learned not to use the family inventory. And the only thing I've figured out that I can do once my hand goes into grab mode and won't release, is exit the game and restart.

I love The Sims 3.. just wish the buggies were worked out :(
  • Options
    AeronwyDiobhellAeronwyDiobhell Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2010
    xlilcip15x wrote:
    I can't seem to be able to put furniture into my family inventory (which is mainly what it's for). I can take them out, but they won't go back in... when I try to drag them, it's like it doesn't recognize the inventory panal at all and just acts as if I'm placing the object somewhere else.

I'm trying to complete an opportunity where I repair someones radio and then return it to them... problem is, I need to get it back into the family inventory to return it... at least I'm assuming, since it doesn't want to go into personal inventory either, and I got it out of the family inventory when the other sim lent it to me for repair.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something? anyone else having problems with this?

thanks

I JUST had this issue happen to me. I finally just cancelled out the Opportunity, because, while I was able to put the tv back into the family inventory - the game said I didn't have the appropriate items. But I couldn't put the tv into the person's backpack, so he could bring the tv to the opportunity-giver. :(

There was no answer in this thread. Has anyone figured out what's going on with this?

I had also had the "we just moved, but now we can't unpack anything!" glitch, where the stuff in the family inventory wouldn't really place, the hand-grabber never reset, whatever. Fortunately, I saved before they moved, so I just went back to the old save. It took two more attempts, but I finally had the move go through correctly. While annoying, at least it sounds like the exit-restart is a work-around for the second problem.
  • Options
    SimGuru_BGY_11SimGuru_BGY_11 Posts: 7,508 SimGuru (retired)
    edited February 2010
    Hey folks,

We are aware of the issues with the 1.9 patch, and they are being looked into. As soon as I have more information regarding this issue, or a solution, I'll be posting it here in the forums.

I realize this is frustrating for everyone, so thanks for your patience while we work on this for you.

-Big Guy-
  • Options
    Elenalda_ZElenalda_Z Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    ok first with error 16, then geneology tree disappeares, then inventory problem..if every patch creates a new (and such annoying) problem i think we should at least have an easy way 2 uninstall the patches!and regarding the latest one i was thinking not updating afraiding that it will cause another problem but i said:what the heck?!so i updated and.. there it is..inventory stuck!is there anyway 2 uninstall the patch??no?then it s pointless EA people unless u start patching correctly!!
  • Options
    forestwindforestwind Posts: 136
    edited March 2010
    You know, this makes me so mad! EA were made aware of this glitch BEFORE the latest patch, yet did nothing about it.
    Be patient. I'm sure they will fix the bug and all the others.
    They might be even putting all the bug fixes in one update.
  • Options
    Sims3and2fanSims3and2fan Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    I had this problem too. I fixed it by, not dragging the object into my family iventory, but just clicking on the object then clicking on the panel.

Worked for me, hope it works for you! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    SkcometSkcomet Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    I made my sim a klepto so that I could get a ghost baby [you know... steal a tombstone and then have romantic relationship with the ghost].
    Anyhow....
    well... the item disappeared as soon as I took it out of the family inventory and place it on the ground. :x This has happened with any stolen material that my sim stole AND also any material gotten back from a burglar. What do I do about this?
  • Options
    ajkindhartajkindhart Posts: 49 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Im having a problem trying to click things to get out of my family inventory. It wont even let me click. Some how the car is in there too, along with books i bought. Well I just bought the same new books to replace them and they ended up in my family inventory again and i cant select them! Im going to sell my NEW car before she uses it so I dont have 2 wasted cars in the family inventory I cant use. I just bought this game last week and the family inventory WAS working. I tried restarting the game because I was using cheats. Im so disappointed in this game already because the family inventory is a big part of this game. I think I may go back to sims2 or world of warcraft...probly WOW seeing how EA I hope isnt affiliated with Blizzard. I cant believe they didnt fix this issue right away. it seems even if i move to a new house the problem is still there. OH but some how I just had 2 new items in the fam inventory and was able to sell them. the only 2 items ive been able to do anything with. the rest i cant select or sell. its like the game doesnt know they are there.
  • Options
    ajkindhartajkindhart Posts: 49 New Member
    edited October 2010
    Also EA if yo are reading, if this WAS WOW blizzard would fix the issue pronto because players are unhappy... they seem to understand they SHOULD give people their moneys worth and fix issues when they occur rather than just pocket the money and not fix anything.
  • Options
    MiEhrynnMiEhrynn Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Urgh. Only have Basegame Sims3. After using the Create-a-style tool, the inventory box was unusable, so I quit and restarted. After it happened again, I just shut it down completely. I noticed a patch for HELF fixes the issue, but sorting through the various information on the Interwebz, I found nothing applicable to Basegame. :(
  • Options
    LETO19857LETO19857 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I got the exact same problem as many people are having here too. First it apears with relics which I couldn't place out of the treasure chest, inventory or family inventory. Now it happens with tombstones from out of the inventory also.
    I've manually removed every expansion (and I have them all) and basegame, runned Disk Error and Defragmentation before installing the game again but nothing works. I got the same problem again, and it's getting worse.

I really hope EA can finally fix this long occured problem. I personally am not enjoying The Sims 3 anymore as I used to do.
  • Options
    hannybehannybe Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    I Had also had that problem, but then I erased everything in my family inventory (and I had very valuable things such as Trophy's, & pictures). then it ended up working perfectly again. I hope I helped thank you all... :wink:
  • Options
    SilveryRowSilveryRow Posts: 21
    edited June 2013
    I realize this post is a year old but the topic applies, only I cannot put things IN to my personal or Family Inventories. No one's. I can drag things over to Family Inventory but when I drop them they just zoom back to their original position. Can't even drag to personal Inventories. Very frustrating for when I want Sims to take certain items when they move!
    Any known fixes? I get kinda lost with all these forums...
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited March 2014
    Resurrecting the topic also, I got 1k fruits in my family inventory and I don't need the hassle of clicking 2k times to individually them out of the inventory and then move them into the fridge. Help please?