Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reduce lag in your world.

I have seen many things that people have posted pertaining to lag. Specifically how to reduce it. So i am going to try and compile a list for future use for anyone looking to build a world.

Alright, this is what i have heard so far, if you know of more ways than please post!:

-Make many layers.
-Have maximum of 150 residential lots.
-Have around 100 lots or less for minimal lag. (or lots of deco buildings)
-More than 150 sims in a world will start to cause problems (ergo, the 150 residential lots)
-moveobjects on
-Elevators
-Minimum amount of trees
-Trees that are un-clumped
-Parking Spaces
-Routing Failure
-Small Entrances to Buildings
-Changing Downloaded Worlds
-Many spawners
-Many objects on one lot

Comments

• Options
    CBedna01CBedna01 Posts: 806 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Also, keep trees to a minimum if at all possible. For some reason trees are always messing up peoples program.
  • Options
    TinTinnerson48TinTinnerson48 Posts: 4,151 Member
    edited May 2011
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can someone answer this question?

Which would cause less lag, putting the skyscrapers in from caw, or putting them in for edit in game and then making the lot a hidden tomb?
    Also, if you just make the outsides of a building and not the insides and made it a hidden tomb would it reduce lag?
  • Options
    CBedna01CBedna01 Posts: 806 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I wish I could help answer your question. Since Late Night came out I haven't even bothered trying to use the CAW Skyscrapers or the EIG ones. I just can't handle the mess it causes. It's just annoying to have the buildings all transparent and what not. Gr!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CBedna01 wrote:
    I wish I could help answer your question. Since Late Night came out I haven't even bothered trying to use the CAW Skyscrapers or the EIG ones. I just can't handle the mess it causes. It's just annoying to have the buildings all transparent and what not. Gr!

Haha, I know what your saying. When you zoom in on them they get all invisable. But they are not like that in game though, right?

I would think the caw transparent ones would cause less lag.
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited May 2011
    Well that's Springfield out the window :lol:

(I wish!)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hahaha :D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does any one know others?
  • Options
    maria_loves_alexmaria_loves_alex Posts: 9,054 Member
    edited May 2011
    O_O I have 180 lots in my world and quite a few trees! will need to start deleting....
    My Page: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/maria_loves_alex

Follow me on the Sims 4 Gallery - ID 'MariannaSims'
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    O_O I have 180 lots in my world and quite a few trees! will need to start deleting....

Are the 180 all residential?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    no some are comunity, don't know how many though... what specs would you recommend to play a large map?

• Options
    edited May 2011
    no some are comunity, don't know how many though... what specs would you recommend to play a large map?

Honestly, i have no idea. Im not very very computer smart. Just a little.
    Even if you do have many lots i doubt they will all get filled up with sims.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    they're all pretty much empty anyway as I plan to build :) I hope someone can tell me though! :lol:

my specs are:
    Core 2 Duo @ 3.17GHz
    4GB RAM
    512MB ATi Radeon 4850 PCi express
    1TB HDD

• Options
    edited May 2011
    From the looks of it, you should be good. I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I hope! :lol:

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Bump for ideas
  • Options
    JESSNOVA999JESSNOVA999 Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2011
    CBedna01 wrote:
    Also, keep trees to a minimum if at all possible. For some reason trees are always messing up peoples program.
    If you use the 'clump' feature on all the trees of one type, it helps a lot with that. I took apart the basegame SV hood and noticed that there was one layer just for trees. They'd gone around the map and clumped all the trees together in huge areas, so the folder was full of tree clumps of each type of plant they used in each area. I was amazed.

The clump feature turns what used to be a ton of trees into ONE tree-mass object, sort of. So it helps. I think on most custom maps tree lag comes when people don't remember to do this, so each and every tree in the nicely forested background must load separately.

Just an idea, anyway.
  • Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited May 2011
    Another thing that causes lag is too many parking spaces, if you have Late Night, it will aparently just randomly create a car for the empty parking space. I am not sure if this is just for cities, I haven't noticed this in my towns, but I definately noticed this while testing my large map city "Vancouver". I had a club with 4 parking spaces, and the game would generate cars for the empty spaces, there would be 4 cars there even if there was no one in the club. So I took out all the empty community lot ones and it helped. Apparently Twallan's Overwatch mod will delete the extra cars each night.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CBedna01 wrote:
    If you use the 'clump' feature on all the trees of one type, it helps a lot with that. I took apart the basegame SV hood and noticed that there was one layer just for trees. They'd gone around the map and clumped all the trees together in huge areas, so the folder was full of tree clumps of each type of plant they used in each area. I was amazed.

The clump feature turns what used to be a ton of trees into ONE tree-mass object, sort of. So it helps. I think on most custom maps tree lag comes when people don't remember to do this, so each and every tree in the nicely forested background must load separately.

Just an idea, anyway.

That is very smart! But just to clarify, you would just press the 'clump' button on the top, right?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I added them to the first post! THanks guys!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2011
    CBedna01 wrote:

Just an idea, anyway.

Hi, :mrgreen:

Every time you save in CAW the trees are clustered together. :)
    You can uncluster them to remove some or whatever and cluster them back after adding some or unclustering them.
    We don't have the option to cluster one type or another.

There is a Walkthrough and Manual for CAW on the download page. :)

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks RFLong :)
  • Options
    simgreensimgreen Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Question: how does the moveobjects on cheat add to lag?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    simgreen wrote:
    Question: how does the moveobjects on cheat add to lag?

Im not a tech person, but i can say from personal experience that it does.
  • Options
    MomSonSimFunMomSonSimFun Posts: 486 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Trees. Hehehe. How's 40,000 sound? I guess I'll find out! :(

(At least they're clumped...)

See siggy.