Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims is a guilty pleasure...admit it

Comments

• Options
    BimleSimBimleSim Posts: 2,979 Member
    edited May 2011
    Everyone knows I play sims. My family does because I am very happy around a EP release and my friends know it and they play it too which I know. So I have nothing to admit, gomenasai ^^'
    EDIT: I even have a sims 3 shirt I have weared around my friends.
  • Options
    CrazycatldyCrazycatldy Posts: 4,588 Member
    edited May 2011
    I have nothing to hide.
    My family knows I play and if the topic of games or hobbies ever comes up outside the family I don't have a problem saying I play the Sims.
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    edited May 2011
    I have nothing to hide.
    My family knows I play and if the topic of games or hobbies ever comes up outside the family I don't have a problem saying I play the Sims.
    Me either. I have discovered a that few other people besides me play around where I live. :-)
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    VALLEXVALLEX Posts: 3,113 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I love the online gaming idea!!!!

As for it being a "closet" game I totally understand.My family knows I play,my friends(some of them play but not as passionatelly as I do.they play mostly sims 2) and my English classmates.I had written an essay about it(we had to write about our favourite game and I thought:"Why not?").Funny is that as I liked the topic the essay turned out to be pretty good.My teacher loved it!:D

However,my brother tends to say I have no life because of Sims.I know he says it in purpose as he is very "hooked on" videogames too but it still hurts.The fact that I like playing other lives doesn't mean I don't have my own!It probably has to do with him not understanding why I like it.When he plays(once in a blue moon)he just makes houses.People don't understand.(well...my English teacher does,he had gotten REALLY excited)
  • Options
    ladynaavaladynaava Posts: 1,243 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I don't hide the things I like, so I am open about my love for sims. Most people don't play video games in my family, so I doubt they really understand, but for me- I aint in the closet.
  • Options
    schmezzleschmezzle Posts: 1,616 New Member
    edited May 2011
    I'm half in the closet. My Mum, partner and brother know I'm sim obsessed. My best friend and a few other old school friends know I play it... but not how much...!
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited May 2011
    :lol: This sounds like a Sims Anonymous meeting.

There's only my husband and I and he doesn't understand the total obsseiveness of my sims but he doesn't ever say anything against me playing. He did tease me unmercifully when I had to kill a sim to get him out of the way. He'd ask, "Kill anyone today?" :D

The only other person I know who plays is my sister and she is as obsessed as I am. :mrgreen: Otherwise the conversation with others never comes around to video games. My friends aren't gamers of any sort.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    edited May 2011
    No, I can talk to my friends and family about The Sims. None of my friends play, and two cousins play but I can talk to them about it. My Dad was watching me yesterday with a pregnant sim, he said "I thought she had a boy?". He's even asked me when the next EP is out.
    When I tell people I play Sims, they either say "I used to play that" and we'd reminice (sp?) or they'd ask me what it's about. I'm proud to tell people I play Sims. Even when I worked in a store, if anyone had any questions about the game they'd be sent to me lol
    tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif
  • Options
    xWednesdayxxWednesdayx Posts: 2,478 New Member
    edited May 2011
    My family knows that I play sims and so do most of my friends. One of my friends found the box before I mentioned to her I played and she asked what it was I was a little embarrassed. After explained to her what it was she said, "Oh don't worry I understand. I play WoW and other games." This totally surprised me because she never struck me as the type of person to play video games at all. Just goes to show how much you can think you know someone and they turn out to be different. =) My aunt also found my box and asked me what the game was. After I showed her, she started playing too. So I'm not really embarrassed anymore. Most people understand or tolerate it.
  • Options
    Sphire_ZiemiaSphire_Ziemia Posts: 1,148 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Some people give me funny looks when I tell them I still play PC games. I just shrug and think their loss and even a little sorry for them. I'm in my thirties so some think I should outgrow playing them. I think it's silly to stop doing anything because you're reached a certain age. The other thing I find frustrating that women seem to get more flack over pc and video playing games then men.

Well, I'm never going to be embarrassed about being a gammer. I played Sims since the original came out and I'll happily play Sims 12 when I'm 90+ if I still find it fun.
  • Options
    dorendia122dorendia122 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited May 2011
    Why would I feel guilty to say I play the Sims? :lol: I love the game and if someone else doesn't accept that oh well :D
    All my family members know and including my friends :3
    Gmmov8T.gif
  • Options
    Hellz_AngelHellz_Angel Posts: 1,694 Member
    edited May 2011
    Im a closet simmer lol, my mom knows because she plays, my dad doesnt understand, my ex fiance would play with me; and only a gamer friend knows my obsession. Even though Im pretty sure my friends know its in my repitore of played games since I spend half my time on a console >.<. Other then that, no one knows.
    <3 JD & LC 3-20-13 <3
  • Options
    EtherealMemoryEtherealMemory Posts: 128 New Member
    edited May 2011
    What am I even reading? Some of these responses are hilarious. There is nothing to be ashamed of because you do something you enjoy. Yeah my friends know I play The Sims. If someone asks me what games I like, I say The Sims along with other games. I mean it's not embarrassing, I could care less what people think because I play a game. I feel like if anything there are other things more embarassing than "playing the sims omfgomg". You should just be who are you. is it age related or something? I'm in college but some people here are a lot older than I am or are married. I don't really understand
  • Options
    snurflessnurfles Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited May 2011
    I never hide the fact that I play Sims but my hubby, who loves his console games, does wonder sometimes why I don't branch out and play other types of games more often. I tend to make all my Sims based on people I know and I usually share that with my friends and THAT gets some funny looks, believe me! But, other than that, I'm not a closeted Simmer, just a lonely one. None of my other friends play. :(
  • Options
    bakenpodbakenpod Posts: 29 New Member
    edited May 2011
    My husband thinks my liking Sims is a shameful regression to childhood. Seems like every time we have people over he'll wait for a lull in the chat and say (loudly), "So what do you think of a GROWN WOMAN who plays Sims for hours on end? I beg her to shut off the computer and live in the real world. Is that sad or what?" Guess I don't get a choice about being in the closet! Just once I wish a Simmer were in his audience, but it never happens. He doesn't see a problem with his own video/computer games.
  • Options
    luckynicole659luckynicole659 Posts: 7,707 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Everybody thinks the sims is lame. So I dont say anything unless they ask. They look at me like im an idiot for playing the game....
  • Options
    maglcmaglc Posts: 1,921 New Member
    edited May 2011
    miktiger wrote:
    I agree with you. I'm a dude, so I guess I'm supposed to play COD, but I don't really like it. Sims is better. So, I don't talk about TS3, whenever people talk about video games. So yeah, it is a guilty pleasure!

Same here :P
  • Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    edited May 2011
    Darci! You're the OP! Hiiiiiii! *Waves like a madwoman*
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    elijahhines10elijahhines10 Posts: 6,433 Member
    edited May 2011
    Ha:lol::!:
    My friend asked me what games do I play on Monday, and the first thing I said was "I play The Sims!":oops:(Not excitedly though)

He never heard of it before and asked me how do you play it:shock:

I said, "Well...you just create your self and...live...life!"
    He said, "That's all you do?"
    I said, "Yah, but there's lots of stuff to do!"
    He said, "Like what?"
    Then I felt SO embarassed saying this but explained lots of things to him:lol

I said, "Well there's The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3. I mostly play one and two though. In the first one you just...live life, like become a superstar, go out on the town, become a witch/wizard, build houses, go on vacation, and all that stuff. In the second one you can go to college, become vampires, werewolves, make robots, become a plantsim..."

He said, "What's a plant sim"

I said, "Its a human plant"

He looked all weird and we both lol'ed

I said, "It also has weather like rain, snow, hail, and all seasons! You can go on vacation, meet bigfoot, own your own business, and so much more!"

He said, "Is it fun? sounds fun."

I said "yep!"

Then he asked what other games I play, and I said, "Animal Crossing":oops:

And it started over again because he never heard of it:lol:

After that he said, "So are those the only kinds of games you play?"

I said, "No! I play Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, Saints Row, Halo and a bunch of other games!"
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2011
    I feel no shame at all about playing the Sims. All my friends and family are aware that I play it. They play their games, I play mine. I don't see what the big deal is. I play other games as well.

I don't think I would want to be able to connect to another person's game or have them connect to mine. I like my own little world where I am god and no-one interferes.
  • Options
    mikiiskoolmikiiskool Posts: 415
    edited May 2011
    Most of my friends play sims anyway, so for me its not a secret ;)
    The only time I could see it being a guilty pleasure is if i'm still playing it when i'm very old.
  • Options
    HollisterGuy1922HollisterGuy1922 Posts: 172 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Yet what most people don't seem to realize is that we simmer's need to have:

1. Intelligence...or something like it...
    2. Stamina, to keep playing and creating
    3. Imagination..I mean really anyone can just point and shoot but we have to create our own worlds....
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited May 2011
    No, my guilty pleasures include Desperate Housewives and Jenna Rose's 'My Jeans'. >_>

But, I don't particuarally like to talk about sims with people in rl. Not many are interested and I don't have a whole lot of people to talk to about it anyway.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2011
    mikiiskool wrote:
    Most of my friends play sims anyway, so for me its not a secret ;)
    The only time I could see it being a guilty pleasure is if i'm still playing it when i'm very old.

I'm very old and I still feel no guilt :P