Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cozy Farmhouse in the Countryside

GizmonicInstituteGizmonicInstitute Posts: 1,551 New Member
Hello, everyone. I'm in the middle of building a new house. It's a sort of farmhouse in Riverview. I've begun to decorate the living room, but I'm having a little trouble. I've never been good at mixing patterns. I'm having some trouble making the couch, rug, and wallpaper all go together without being too matchy-matchy, and without being too crazy and distracting.

This is my living room:
screenshot_original.jpg

I sort of like the wallpaper, but I need some suggestions for the couch and rug. I'm really not liking the way they look right now, but I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm also looking for some advice for the fireplace. I'm not sure that particular rock pattern fits with the house. What are your ideas for a different pattern for the fireplace? Here's a better view of it:

screenshot_original.jpg

And last but not least is the other side of the room. I just don't know what to put in the empty space. Any suggestions?
screenshot_original.jpg

I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys might have to give this room a little help. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited May 2011
    I like the pattern combo! I'd experiment with saturation levels. Click on the green button for the pattern colors on CAS and move the slider to change the saturation. I'm thinking maybe slightly lighter on the wall and couch and keep the rug a similar level? Good start though :)
  • Options
    TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    edited May 2011
    8) yeah it's looking pretty good the way it is but if it really bothers you, then maybe try taking another color from the wallpaper for the rug or sofa other than the green to break it up a bit? :wink: And as for the blnk spot, the old timey tv with maybe a plant or statue to the sides? :D Please be sure to keep us up to date on your progress, I'd love to see this finished :D Oh and btw where did you get that rocking chair from, I absolutely have to have it :P

hugs, Terry
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited May 2011
    Hi there, I like your living room very much. Personally I wouldn't change it. Looks perfect. If you really want to change the colour scheme of the rug or the sofa then you should go for a contrast colour. Mustard yellow for instant. That goes very well with the moss green of your wallpaper. Good luck with your build. Hope to see the build in the exchange soon. :D Also, I agree with Terry, that rocking chair looks divine. I am assuming that is a CC? I wish EA would give us a rocking chair for Generations. :(
  • Options
    pyrochemistpyrochemist Posts: 73
    edited May 2011
    I like it the way it is, but agree with Yanti68 about going for the contrast if you really want to change it.

How about a sideboard with pictures, flowers on top for the empty space?
  • Options
    Sherry1968Sherry1968 Posts: 2,250 New Member
    edited May 2011
    There are lots of good suggestions for the colors already. I think the stone on the fireplace is fine, but if you don't like it, just try some others. Anything under masonry or stone would probably work. Once you play with them a bit you will develop some favorites.

I love pyrochemist's idea for the empty space. Another idea would be a chess table, or desk, or an easel, or some other skill item.

Be sure to post pics of your changes! Everyone loves pics! :wink:
  • Options
    Glic2003Glic2003 Posts: 2,933 Member
    edited May 2011
    Just change the colour of the sofa; right now it looks like it's the same pattern as the rug.
    simsig_willwright.gif

"We've been attributing the state of The Sims 4 to greed but I think it's time to give sheer incompetence another look."
    -Honeywell
  • Options
    Tadoll08PTadoll08P Posts: 65 New Member
    edited May 2011
    Wow, this is looking really good! One thing is that if you feel there is a lot of green, bring in a different type of green to stand out to blend in. I would also try bringing in a complementary color like a light yellow. Also, picking a focal point would help you decide what you want to do. Hope this help and good work! :)
  • Options
    svlynsvlyn Posts: 4,409 Member
    edited May 2011
    Someone suggested the sofa goes a tan colour and i think that would really highlight the room. But personally i love what you have done and i think the patterns you have picked are really nice. Ummm I am mostly a builder and i tend to struggle with interior design, i am too matchy matchy as you call it:) But i know when something looks nice and your room certainly fits that bill. More picts of changes would be aweomse.
  • Options
    spartan1spartan1 Posts: 606 Member
    edited May 2011
    Ruthless_kk has created a wonderful tutorial with suggestions for combining colours and patterns which may help you with ideas. It is looking great so far, the rocking chair is very cute too.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=137970
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited May 2011
    There is nothing wrong with using solids on the furniture to pick out colors from the pattern on the wall. Something else you can do if you have having trouble mixing patterns is go for texture instead. There are some wonderful ones under Fabrics and Leathers and Furs that you can use on the couch. You can also check out Carpeting and Flooring or Fabrics for the rug. I do that a lot. Also, for the blank spot, you could put a desk, coffee table or dining table there with several plants or maybe some pics on it.

I have to ask tho...WHERE did you get those paintings?? I do love the pattern on the walls by the way and it does have a wonderful homey feel to it!
  • Options
    pegasas1993pegasas1993 Posts: 4,856 Member
    edited May 2011
    It is really beautiful :)
  • Options
    LoveEvilLoveEvil Posts: 1,654 Member
    edited May 2011
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Just change the colour of the sofa; right now it looks like it's the same pattern as the rug.

Personally I'd leave the sofa alone but change the colour of the rug. :lol:

It looks lovely the way it is GizmonicInstitute but understand you wanting to change it if you are not 100% happy with it. :wink:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to fire up my game now and see what I can change. I'll post more pictures of it when I figure out how I'm going to change it.

The rocking chair is from here: http://club-crimsyn.dreamwidth.org/46280.html

The paintings are from here: http://b5studio.blogspot.com/2010/06/stay-within-lines.html
  • Options
    KLoreleiKLorelei Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited May 2011
    Love the wallpaper, really pretty pattern.

I'd probably re-do the couch in a golden color, and add a bit of gold and red or more dark brown to the green in the pattern on the rug, especially in the border.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok, I put a different pattern on the couch so the room's not overwhelmingly green anymore, but still uses the same colors. And I tweaked the colors of the rug a little. All patterns are using the same colors, but before it was just too much green. Hopefully, this looks a little better.

screenshot_original.jpg

I also filled the empty space on the other side of the room with some entertainment items and plants.

screenshot_original.jpg

Is it looking a little better? Do you guys have any other suggestions?
  • Options
    TnT_TerryTnT_Terry Posts: 6,629 Member
    edited May 2011
    8) WOW Now that looks fabulous, maybe grab that darker olive green from the sofa and put on the accent pillow in rocking chair? other than that I wouldn't change a thing. BTW love the old tv and victrola, it really makes it so cozy and nostalgic :wink: I'd love to see the rest of the house as well and would be thrilled to dld for a close up tour :D

hugs, Terry
    I own every basegame, EP, GP, SP and kits for all sims, ie.., sims 1, 2, 3 and 4
    I am a sims 3 Store Owner Thanks to all my Amazing friends here, and I do own all store stuff from sims 2 as well!

gjmdPt7.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I agree with TNT terry, and more pictures of the rest of the house would be welcome.
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited May 2011
    I love it, personally. :D the wallpaper pattern is really lovely and I think you gave the room a very warm and homey feel. I might make the gray stone on the fireplace a warmer earth tone...that is the only thing I see. Great work!!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to leave the living room as it is for now, other than tweaking the color of the rock on the fireplace. I'm moving on the the dining room. I'll post some pics of it soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ok, this is what I've done with the dining room. It's not that spectacular or anything, but it's just a dining room. There's not a ton of room for decorating and things. Any ideas to make it better?

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thought I would throw in some pics of the kitchen also for feedback.

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

And a quick pic of the exterior.

screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited May 2011
    I like the pattern combo! I'd experiment with saturation levels. Click on the green button for the pattern colors on CAS and move the slider to change the saturation. I'm thinking maybe slightly lighter on the wall and couch and keep the rug a similar level? Good start though :)

this is good advice!

personally i love what you've done here more than great :mrgreen:
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    edited May 2011
    It has a real homey feel to it, i think its great work, but i know the expert decorators will have some great advance to share. Thanks for showing us more pics of your lot.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can i make a suggestion, i would make your dinning room chair cousins a different none floral pattern, and make them rose coloured. Try that and see what happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    svlyn wrote:
    Can i make a suggestion, i would make your dinning room chair cousins a different none floral pattern, and make them rose coloured. Try that and see what happens.

I changed the cushions on the dining room chairs to a checked pattern of rose/white color. And I put the same fabric on the curtains to make it look kind of homemade, like maybe the lady sewed them herself. It looks better than the same pattern on everything. Thanks.

Also, for anyone who's interested, I thought I'd throw in some more pictures.

The sitting area on the front porch:
    screenshot_original.jpg

Guest Bedroom/Sewing Room on 1st floor:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg

And a layout of the first floor:
    screenshot_original.jpg

As always, suggestions welcome!