Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Generations is (NOT) Extremely Disappointing!

Comments

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2011
    Well no new world is not a turn off for me, and I do not have enormous expectations or fantasies. I just know every EP adds more to the game. As far as the world EA has not made one I liked since Sun Valley which is now to small to use. i prefer custom worlds, not all world builders use CC. I downloaded a great empty world called Awesome cove, lots of large lots, its huge and cool. Also I am waiting for Setra and several worlds to be done that I will play with. Just because there are no new worlds you are not out of options.

Thank-you. I am so glad I'm not the only one. Though I still use SV and haven't download any custom worlds. It is a good solution to the no world problem, which isn't the end of the world, a bummer but not a big deal.
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited April 2011
    EA, if there really is 10 new community lots. You had me at 10 new community lots. ;o That's worth 40 dollars to me. <33
  • Options
    savethetigers7121savethetigers7121 Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited April 2011
    I believe Generations will be the best expansion yet. It adds many little things which add up to a lot in my view.

Also about the price. Does anyone know how many man hours it goes into developing an expansion, or any game really? EA has to pay the wages of many workers, pay for marketing, etc., etc., etc.

Also (sorry I'm rambling), when you get the game and if it doesn't meet your expectations, don't blame EA. EA didn't make it, the Sims Division OF EA made the game. I could go on but it'd just be rambling. :wink:
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    edited April 2011
    I didn't say he should spend $40 dollars on it before he judges it. I said he should wait and see what others think before he goes on about how disappointing it is. That's all..

No, you made the statement "you've never played it".
    How can you be so sure that it is, when there's so many varying opinions on it?

Opinions from the community here?

I have my own opinion, that's why.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited April 2011
    We don't know everything that's in it, so how can you say it's "disappointing"?

First of all, we've only seen the Chemistry Set used to make stink bombs. What if there are other things you can do with the Chem Set, like in Sims 2? Maybe potions to extend lifespan so you wouldn't have to have a family member who can make Ambrosia. Or potions to turn people into vampires or other creatures, at least temporarily. Maybe there are other surprises in there that are being kept under wraps for now.

Yes, some of the things in the trailer are staged, but not all of it; the additional play equipment, hopscotch, and treehouses are going to make playing my kid Sims a lot better. I've been asking for a sandbox for quite some time, hopefully one that will help kids build early Sculpting skill to boot (like you can get Logic from the peg box or Handiness from blocks).

If you don't play families on a regular basis, sure this pack might not be for you...but I could say the same thing about Late Night because I'm not into the clubbing scene or vampires (I like the new instruments and hot tubs though). Every pack offers something different for every person, and just because you think this pack is "disappointing" doesn't mean that everyone will agree with you. Just hold on to your money, and those of us who want these new interactions and ways to play our families (with hopefully few glitches) will have our fun.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited April 2011
    barisaxy wrote:
    I didn't say he should spend $40 dollars on it before he judges it. I said he should wait and see what others think before he goes on about how disappointing it is. That's all..

No, you made the statement "you've never played it".
    How can you be so sure that it is, when there's so many varying opinions on it?

Opinions from the community here?

I have my own opinion, that's why.

*sigh* Okay, maybe I should have worded that differently since it seems to be bothering you so much. How about "It hasn't been released yet so we don't have all the information about it. Wait and see what others think"
    ..There's no reason to be so..snippy. If you don't like the expansion then that's fine. I honestly don't care.

• Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited April 2011
    I disagree. This ep is going to add lots of better gameplay and a lot from the sims 1 and 2. Now sims can give gifts something that is terribly needed,have better weddings were sims actually sit down and they get a cake they can cut,it brings dating back,it adds tons of new interactions for children and teens,it adds more for families to do. All of this is what's been lacking in the game.

THIS!

Let me add that this ep is exactly what Simmers have been asking for since release. Go back and start reading the ideas & feedback section of the forum. Almost every single thing I've seen so far has been asked for by the community.

I laughed out loud last week when the woohoo in shower was revealed. It was exactly the interaction that was requeste I had seen the month or 2 before in the ideas & feedback section.

Anyone who has played the sims since the beginning, when the original was released, will enjoy this new ep! Those of you who are new to the game, and/or are just "gamers" will of course be displeased. You are used to being led around by the hand, with the rpg games and to me, are not expected to appreciate a creative, inovative game that is The Sims! IMHO.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited April 2011
    This EP kind of reminds me of Black Friday sales (US).

The price of an item will cost $10 at the start of the year. People will complain about the high prices and be disgruntled by them. Slowly, cent by cent. the prices of said item raise until they hit a certain price...we'll say $12. Well, by the time Black Friday rolls around, the price of the item will drop back to $10. People will go crazy over these "sales", even though they were at the price to begin with. Because of the price gain, people won't notice though.

It's kind of like that. Little by little, certain items appeared to be missing from the game. Smaller, side type features. These features were so sought after after awhile that once they were re-introduced all in one space, they are the next best thing. But pranks? They were just a tiny feature in Uni. Gift giving? Small feature in Seasons. Playgounds for kids, spiral stairs? Small features to Apartment Life. Imaginary friends? Small feature, a la physiotherapist, in the Sims 2 base game. See where I'm going with this?
    Because we were missing out on these features from the base game, they are now the best thing since sliced bread. Had they tried to pull this with Sims 2 so early in the game, people would have scratched their heads wondering what was going on. They added "loose end" kinds of stuff to Free Time and that was towards the end of the series when it was beginning to burn out. Sort of liking ringing a sponge dry. Gotta get those last few drops out while they are there...

I'm not hating, I still do think this EP is a welcome addition but this is how I perceive it. It's not truly a "meaty", well packed EP that you can really place your finger on.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,537 Member
    edited April 2011
    I was expecting Late Night to be pretty epic, and while it is my favorite EP of the current 3, I definitely got my hopes up and learned to NOT do that anymore with this franchise. Actually I knew that off the hop but, when I was given all that I personally wanted, common sense flew right out the window.

Same here. :)

My outlook now is to expect some things that I will enjoy and use, but from past experience also expect things that aren't as well thought out as I feel they could be. I don't find the EP disappointing from a concept point of view. I believe it will add value to the game and it's needed. I'm finding that I don't want to play TS3 at all because I have sims that I would like to have experience this EP.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    thegrumpthegrump Posts: 505 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I do not see how people can already judge this expansion pack without throughly going through its contents.

What you see in the ads trailers are only hints to what is included in the game. They do not include everything in the video because the developers may not have created it yet or they may want to hide the "best" stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    thegrump wrote:
    I do not see how people can already judge this expansion pack without throughly going through its contents.

What you see in the ads trailers are only hints to what is included in the game. They do not include everything in the video because the developers may not have created it yet or they may want to hide the "best" stuff.

They won't hide the best stuff. That's bad advertising. If there was anything in this EP more exciting than watching Sims set off stink bombs and watching them throw up, it surely would have been advertised instead.

Besides, news flash: We've seen more than the trailer. We now have lots of interviews and information. They're very straightforward about what this EP is and has. I'm afraid it would take something incredibly major to change my mind about this EP and there is no chance of that happening now.

Lol "thoroughly going through its contents" I knew somebody would find a way to still say "You can't judge it!" even after people have bought the EP and played it for a while.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited April 2011
    windweaver wrote:
    I disagree. This ep is going to add lots of better gameplay and a lot from the sims 1 and 2. Now sims can give gifts something that is terribly needed,have better weddings were sims actually sit down and they get a cake they can cut,it brings dating back,it adds tons of new interactions for children and teens,it adds more for families to do. All of this is what's been lacking in the game.

THIS!

Let me add that this ep is exactly what Simmers have been asking for since release. Go back and start reading the ideas & feedback section of the forum. Almost every single thing I've seen so far has been asked for by the community.

I laughed out loud last week when the woohoo in shower was revealed. It was exactly the interaction that was requeste I had seen the month or 2 before in the ideas & feedback section.

Anyone who has played the sims since the beginning, when the original was released, will enjoy this new ep! Those of you who are new to the game, and/or are just "gamers" will of course be displeased. You are used to being led around by the hand, with the rpg games and to me, are not expected to appreciate a creative, inovative game that is The Sims! IMHO.

What they said. ^

@OP, it's only been announced for about two weeks. Maybe wait a bit, yeah? We knew hardly anything about the other packs this close to announcement.

I mean...come on. Critisise it when it's out, and you know exactly how much it's lacking. Because truth to be told, you have no idea how much content is in this pack, and won't until you've actuelly played it. I understand some of the complaints about this expansion, but to moan about it lacking content is just ludicrous, because no-one knows how much it even includes yet!

The reason why the interiews and articles have been repeating the same things over and over, is well because, these are the only features they want to discuss right now. It's still a month until release! Just like the other packs they want to have a steady flow of information leading up to release, telling us everything it included right now would not be a good move. The best way to produce hype is to keep your fanbase craving more.

That is how advertising always works. Look at any other game out there that has recently been announced, for the first few weeks/months, the same features are *always* discussed with each interiew and article. As it gets closer to release, they start to drip out more and more information, announcing another major feature, and then spending weeks constantly discussing that. The developers are limited to what they can discuss at the current time, as it gets closer to release, they'll have less and less limits on what they are allowed to say.

• Options
    maglcmaglc Posts: 1,921 New Member
    edited April 2011
    is it out yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    doodlesam wrote:
    @OP, it's only been announced for about two weeks. Maybe wait a bit, yeah? We knew hardly anything about the other packs this close to announcement.

I mean...come on. Critisise it when it's out, and you know exactly how much it's lacking. Because truth to be told, you have no idea how much content is in this pack, and won't until you've actuelly played it. I understand some of the complaints about this expansion, but to moan about it lacking content is just ludicrous, because no-one knows how much it even includes yet!

I've seen you say this same thing all along, all of the way back to when that first sentence was released, and you know what? I have yet to be proved wrong. This EP is like 100% what I predicted it to be back then (very much sadly, I was really hoping I was wrong actually).

I don't know how much longer you can keep on using this same argument. It's pretty clear what this EP is already. It's very fair to assume we've seen the vast majority of it. And you know what? If somebody doesn't think that this makes a lot of content than that is that. To some people content equals major features, which this EP has none and no there are no major features hiding around the corner because that would have been bad advertising.

I swear, even if I went and bought the EP and installed it on my PC you would still find a way to say that I can't judge it yet. "Maybe wait a bit"? You've been saying that all along, exactly how long does "a bit" entail?

If I'm wrong right now, so be it! Not going to hurt me either way. :P
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    mitsuhoneymitsuhoney Posts: 1,000 New Member
    edited April 2011
    I disagree.

Fans have been asking for Sims to be able to have more Family, Friendly, and Romantic interactions since their base game. And long last they dedicate an entire expansion on emphasizing the gameplay for fans even more, especially the fans who have families (which would be the majority of us). And I cant even bother with how people decide to not get the game over the fact that it has no new neighborhood, seriously? Over that one thing about the game sets your decision?

I just feel that so many people are so unappreciative. If you feel that way, fine, it is your choice. But some people are saying this when EA had listened to the fans that we wanted more gameplay with our Sims and his or her friend, family, and spouse. Fans were okay with adventuring (WA), professions (AM), and clubbing (LN) but that all gets tiresome and people want to be able to elaborate more on some things that should have more gameplay (such as weddings, date, school, etc.) and yet people complain that they dont have pets or weather it is so ridiculous.

If people are that unhappy then go out and make your own game. I am not saying this to the OP, but that is to people who continue to complain over and over especially over pets and season...
  • Options
    doodlesamdoodlesam Posts: 6,365 New Member
    edited April 2011
    barisaxy wrote:
    doodlesam wrote:

I've seen you say this same thing all along, all of the way back to when that first sentence was released, and you know what? I have yet to be proved wrong. This EP is like 100% what I predicted it to be back then (very much sadly, I was really hoping I was wrong actually).

I don't know how much longer you can keep on using this same argument. It's pretty clear what this EP is already. It's very fair to assume we've seen the vast majority of it. And you know what? If somebody doesn't think that this makes a lot of content than that is that. To some people content equals major features, which this EP has none and no there are no major features hiding around the corner because that would have been bad advertising.

I swear, even if I went and bought the EP and installed it on my PC you would still find a way to say that I can't judge it yet. "Maybe wait a bit"? You've been saying that all along, exactly how long does "a bit" entail?

And I've yet to be proved wrong either. For no one has actuelly played the game yet, nor does anyone know exactly what it includes. So how can anyone prove how, or what it is lacking?

"Wait a bit", means waiting until we at least know exactly what is in the game. It's only been two weeks since announcement. If you had it on your PC, and said it lacked? I wouldn't say "maybe wait a bit", I'd say horses for courses! That's *your* opinion. And I have absolutely no problem with that. But, I *am* saying as my opinion, that everyone should "maybe wait a bit", until we know what is actuelly included, to form a proper judgement of it. If you had it on your PC, you would, so it's entirely in your right to say it is lacking, for you would actuelly know what it included(and lacked). Right now, you simply do not know everything that is included/what isn't. Same with everyone else.

I have nothing wrong with anyone judging it. Heck, even I've judged it. But, in all honestly, how on earth, can anyone say this game is lacking? I'm not saying it isn't lacking. But the truth is, we cannot tell whether it is or it isn't until we know how much content it even includes. Yes, I've said, along with numerous others, to at least wait until we know exactly what is in this pack. And I still stand by that. It's only been announced for about two to three weeks, no one, whether they look upon this pack in a positive or negative light, can possibly know exactly what this pack includes.

You shouldn't assume at all that we've already seen the vast majority of it, afterall, we didn't know the majority of what was included in the last three packs this close to announcement.

It's entirely fair to state that it is lacking so far. But to state it, as a fact, is just ridiculous. Because there is NO evidence supporting that, just as there is NO evidence to say that it isn't lacking.

I have no problem with you all being dissapointed, but I just find some of these arguments rather silly. And it's my ADVICE, to wait, at least for this complaint, until you know exactly what this pack includes.

Right now, no one has any idea what this pack completley includes. So it's impossible to say whether this expansion is lacking or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mitsuhoney wrote:
    I just feel that so many people are so unappreciative.

I don't feel like I have to be particularly appreciative when I'm paying money for the game. It's a product, not a gift.

Now when EA adds stuff into their patches for free I will not complain about it, because it's free for me.
    and yet people complain that they dont have pets or weather it is so ridiculous.

Not really, we are all different. The people that wanted Pets and Seasons more than anything else are fine. They're just sick of waiting forever to get their features back. It's been two years now, and now Seasons fans have just been given their confirmation that they're going to be waiting much longer.

At first I was more critical of Generations because it wasn't Seasons, but now I dislike it in general because I gained my expectations of it based on its theme, and it couldn't even live up to those.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    DarkMirageDarkMirage Posts: 5,998 Member
    edited April 2011
    windweaver wrote:

THIS!

I agree with this. It's exactly what the game needs and what a lot of Simmers, including myself have been asking for. More interactions.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited April 2011
    What I don't get is why all the darn fighting. It's an EP. You'll either love it, hate it or be somewhere in between. It's not worth getting in a fight about, screaming insults and yells of 'Don't be negative!' 'If you don't like it, don't buy it'...and so on.

I would assume that most of us appreciate that the sims team put thought and effort into what simmers want from an EP. Nobody who is saying they're not buying because or they don't like the conecept because....is being rude or unappreciative. They're sharing an opinion. It's allowed. This is The Sims 3 forum, after all. It's where we collectively come together and talk about our thoughts, hopes and dreams for one game.

To me, Generations SEEMS shallow. I use shallow only because I can't think of a different word to describe what I mean. Maybe that's what happens when you take a whole batch of simmers ideas and make an EP out of it, a mishmash of ideas. I play families. I love bringing up Sims families. To me it's not worth the £30 to £40 they'd ask me for. That's my opinion and my choice, which I'm allowed to have and to say.

Nobody should be attacked for holding an opinion whether it's agreed with or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arletta wrote:
    I play families. I love bringing up Sims families. To me it's not worth the £30 to £40 they'd ask me for.

And that's exactly how I feel.

In fact, that's all I play The Sims 3 for... going through generations. Yet, I do not think this EP is worth my money. Funny how some people think that not wanting to pay that much money for this EP makes us new Simmers and also makes us "gamers" (not playing The Sims for the "right reasons").
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    BafendoBafendo Posts: 2,127 Member
    edited April 2011
    8 or 9 hours from now, a lot of questions shall be answered. When it comes to all the fighting, everyone needs to calm down before the SimBot Ninjas use this as an opportunity to invade the real world and capture all of us Simmers so we don't pose a threat to them! OMG SimBot Ninjas! 01101011 01110101 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100110 01110101!
  • Options
    The_Purple_PlumbobThe_Purple_Plumbob Posts: 11,250 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Why, have you played Generations already?

If you ever played Free Time for The Sims 2 there wasn't any major gameplay there, they gave us a lot of different items with new interactions etc. for our sims to use in their free time but it was still a very good EP in my opinion. I believe Generations is going to be similar, meaning we will get a load of awesome objects to use and new interactions to enhance the gameplay of each lifestage a sim goes through....

Anyway, If you don't like the game it doesn't bother me because that is just your opinion.
  • Options
    miloandotismiloandotis Posts: 5,475 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Barisaxy, why do you feel like you are the only one who's right, and you have to prove everyone wrong?

Can't you just accept everyone else's opinions? >.>

If you don't feel like it's worth it then whatever. That doesn't mean other people aren't going to buy it.
  • Options
    boredomkillsboredomkills Posts: 1,134 New Member
    edited April 2011
    Meh. Different strokes for different folks.

I, for one, think this is going to be the best ep yet! ^ ^
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited April 2011
    Generations is clearly the most lacking expansion to date. When I saw that there was no new neighborhood included, it was the icing on the cake of a terrible expansion. I feel that paying $40 for a handful of new objects and interactions is insane. This expansion seems like it should be worth around $10-15 compared to other expansions. World Adventures included 3 new worlds, Ambitions had tons of activities, skills and a new town, and Late Night of course had plenty of content.

What does this expansion have? Every single preview of Generations is exactly the same. Babies and toddlers get strollers (whoop-dee-doo), children get to play dress up, teens get to pull a few pranks (THAT is going to get old quickly), and adults get to have disgustingly hairy bodies and go through midlife crises. How is this possibly enough content for an entire expansion?

I completely agree with the overall idea: adding content to Sim's bland lives. However, the way EA executed the expansion is extremely disappointing. What do you all think? Please be respectful!!! If you disagree, just explain why! Thanks!!!
    :wink:

I agree completely, they are adding all new content that SHOULD have been in the base game! You also forgot to add that they stopped making game manuals so there won't even be a manual for GEN, It'll be online! So basically they have taken away a town and a manual and were still paying the same price. The only question on my mind is what will they remove next, the packaging? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!