Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Iceland, anyone? TINY UPDATE (Map Plan: Page 2)

CashingTheFameCashingTheFame Posts: 3,737 New Member
INTRODUCTION:

I'm about 1/4 done in creating this world.
If you haven't guess from the title, I'm going to be creating a world inspired by Iceland.
I'm not trying to be like "Look at this world, come download it!!"
I just want your opinions on what YOU think of the idea.

The catch is, it's not the actual island that inspired me, it's the diverse, unique housing. Such as:
800px-Reykjavik_rooftops.jpg
Most of this housing is in the capital city, Reykjavik.
My island will consist of more "greener, lusher" environments rather than colder, snowy ones. It'll definitely include the type of housing in Reykjavik.

DEVELOPMENT:

I'm not putting any due date at all on this, but here is what I have so far (This was done in the last two hours):
atptvq.png
It's not much AT ALL, but it's the initial shape. (The buildings and roads WILL be deleted, they're there so I can have a sense of size proportions)

THE IMAGE:

Now, the island isn't supposed to be shaped like Iceland (Obviously) it's kind of like... an island off of Iceland, but in this case, a Sim island off of a Sim Iceland. I'll include somewhat of a city atmosphere, but the sole focus of this world is the Icelandic housing.

YOUR THOUGHTS:

So, what do you all think of this idea?
Yes? It could work? Eh? I'll tell you when you update some more?
Please do tell me.

PS: I'm not finished with the terrain, not even close!

Thanks,
~Izzy

Comments

• Options
    GlosoliGlosoli Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2011
    I'd be very interested! I think it could definitely work in architecture + general atmosphere. Go for it, imo.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, :)

I'm excited to work on this because building the architecture will definitely be the funnest part. I'm debating weather to put SOME snow on the mountains, or leave it kind of green. I may paint the terrain somewhat like Icelands. (Green & Brown & Rocky)
  • Options
    starlightkcstarlightkc Posts: 3,186 Member
    edited March 2011
    I can't wait to see where you go with this, it's a great idea! Those houses look really cool, I can't wait to see your versions of them in-game! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I noticed that city has a lot of boat houses that aren't even near the shore. That'll be fun to make, because I love making houses on stilts. There's a whole bunch where I live.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh, so you're from Iceland? That'll be fun, bringing a bit of home into the game :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm from Louisiana (No one really knows this) haha.

I was looking for something unique to build in a world that no one has done and gave up trying to find it. Then, I was listening to this Icelandic band and I searched their hometown (Reykjavik) and I was in awe. I then found what I wanted to create :)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    VERY TINY UPDATE:

I have the initial island shape going.
    I'm debating on adding hills to the area against the mountains, I want some varied elevation, but, eh..

10p651f.png

I can't wait to start painting the terrain! That will probably happen tomorrow. I've spent all day and yesterday getting the island how it is now.

The shorelines will be rock shorelines, since Iceland's waters are really too cold to actually swim in, lol.
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2011
    If you don`t already know about this then I think it would be greatly beneficial, lots of great Iceland-ish earthy textures to download for your world.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/181739.page
    Experiment, see what works and what doesn`t, it`s all good. Best of luck with Iceland, it`s a great idea for a world.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thank you! I'll most definitely look at them, and download them.

Hope to see you back around here when this world is progressing more.
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2011
    Most definitely :wink:
  • Options
    simlishtrsimlishtr Posts: 1,405 Member
    edited March 2011
    good luck :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thank you, Thank you. :)
  • Options
    SverigeSimSverigeSim Posts: 119 New Member
    edited March 2011
    þetta er yndislegt! :D

I'm Swedish, but my grandmother is from Iceland and I've been to Iceland many times. It's looking really great, you have me excited. :D
  • Options
    princessbee66princessbee66 Posts: 876
    edited March 2011
    bookmarked :D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aw! Thanks Princessbee ;D

@SverigeSim ~ Awesome! Maybe later on when I start building and what not, you can give me some suggestions on the architecture?
  • Options
    SverigeSimSverigeSim Posts: 119 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Aw! Thanks Princessbee ;D

@SverigeSim ~ Awesome! Maybe later on when I start building and what not, you can give me some suggestions on the architecture?

Yeah, I could definatley do that for you. I might even make you a few houses if you wish. :)

Also, are you planning on making Hallgrímskirkja? Can't be complete without it. :)
  • Options
    cometkittycometkitty Posts: 190 Member
    edited March 2011
    This is looking awesome so far! :mrgreen: *bookmarked*
    large.gif6.gif
    tumblr_mx42lknWrg1s1afluo1_400.gif

• Options
    edited March 2011
    @SverigeSim ~ I would but I am not capable of making a building like that, lol.
    Plus, this world is more of my take on Iceland, rather than a literal one.

@cometkitty ~ Thank you. The world has definitely changed since I posted that latest picture,I added more elevation and hills.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I got my initial map plan laid out.
    I'm STILL working on shaping the terrain, but I know where everything where go.
    I really want this to turn out nice so I'm taking my time, therefore, shaping the terrain is crucial.

709q9z.png

I plan on the downtown slowly merging into congested housing (Like the reference picture on the first page)

There will be tattoo parlours, salons, and some "underground" clubs thrown into the congested suburbia. I want it to be CROWDED (That's why it's congested)
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited March 2011
    Pretty cool. I also love the landscape and architecture of Iceland, I can't wait to see how this comes out.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    SimzypooSimzypoo Posts: 462 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Love it! The diversity of the houses look so awesome!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks!

I can't wait until I start getting pictures of the architecture, I think it'll really make the world "pop"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It looks great! The shape of the world is really unique, and I love your idea of having a congested suburbia part.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thank you!
    I'm so obsessed with making the shape and terrain perfect, lol, it's scary.
    I'll be shaping it and what not and be thinking "I'm SO BORED of shaping this" but then I zoom out and I'm like "Oh my lord, I need to shape some more"

...I wonder when I'll bring myself to start painting the terrain and stop shaping it, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I didn't forget about this world!
    I'm some problems with my monitors, I finally got it fixed but now my game decided to be a ***-head so now I have to reinstall Late Night, blah blah blah.

I'm currently stalling this world, but it should be back up and being worked out next week!

Thanks.