The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims Game cost me $1600.00

So, I went to Best Buy to get my Sims game when the doors first opened on Tuesday. I have been waiting soooo long for it to come out. After running home to install, I was extremely disappointed that (after many hours of upgrading drivers, etc), alas, my computer's CPU did not meet minimum requirements to run the game. So, I took my laptop to Best Buy to see if I could upgrade my CPU.

Apparently, the guy told me, it would cost more than a new computer just to do it - so I looked at some alternate PC's. I picked up a mid-grade HP laptop, that would do the trick, specifically making sure that it met the sims requirements.

But, after the salesman reminded me that PC purchases were interest free for 18 months, somehow my husband and I decided to take a quick look at the Apple computers that were on display.

An hour later, we were taking home a 24" iMac PC. Sigh.... all for the love of Sims!

I do have to say - although I am still trying to figure the thing out - turns out to be a good purchase - can't believe I did it, but I am happy, and my sims look great on a 24" screen.... :lol:

Game runs great, and I could stay up all night to play it (heck, i just might).

Comments

• Options
    StackieStackie Posts: 28 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Once you go Mac, you don't go back. :P

I switched from PC to Mac about 2 years ago and don't regret it a single bit! I loooove my Mac and I am a huge Apple fan. It doesn't take very long to get used to, either. Enjoy your new computer!
  • Options
    VivianoViviano Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So, I went to Best Buy to get my Sims game when the doors first opened on Tuesday. I have been waiting soooo long for it to come out. After running home to install, I was extremely disappointed that (after many hours of upgrading drivers, etc), alas, my computer's CPU did not meet minimum requirements to run the game. So, I took my laptop to Best Buy to see if I could upgrade my CPU.

Apparently, the guy told me, it would cost more than a new computer just to do it - so I looked at some alternate PC's. I picked up a mid-grade HP laptop, that would do the trick, specifically making sure that it met the sims requirements.

But, after the salesman reminded me that PC purchases were interest free for 18 months, somehow my husband and I decided to take a quick look at the Apple computers that were on display.

An hour later, we were taking home a 24" iMac PC. Sigh.... all for the love of Sims!

I do have to say - although I am still trying to figure the thing out - turns out to be a good purchase - can't believe I did it, but I am happy, and my sims look great on a 24" screen.... :lol:

Game runs great, and I could stay up all night to play it (heck, i just might).

Seriously, you've made a great purchase
  • Options
    athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    Congrats on your purchase. I have a 24" iMac and I couldn't be happier. I love it and I wouldn't change it for any PC in the world. The game runs great, indeed. Happy Simming!
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
  • Options
    lostinpixelslostinpixels Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    You make the right decision ! Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    bskrent37bskrent37 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I am near the same amount...$650! I had a PC that didn't have a good enough video card, so I "tried" to update it, and I ended up breaking the computer. Never fear though, we ordered a Mac Mini to replace it, I WILL play the Sims!!!! Any idea on how the Sims works on a Mac Mini?
  • Options
    ScrapbookLoriScrapbookLori Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Thanks everyone! :) I agree, I already feel good about the purchase.

First and foremost, I couldn't believe that it literally took less than 5 minutes to get the PC up and running. Literally, out of the box, plug it in, and GO!

Never had a PC that could do that, that is for sure...
    Apple is an incredible group of geniuses.

Likewise, the Sims creators as well. I am loving the new game.... I can't stop!
  • Options
    Eulalie1977Eulalie1977 Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2009
    you really shouldn't call a mac a pc by the way. it is a mac not a pc.
  • Options
    TimbernessTimberness Posts: 13 New Member
    edited June 2009

A "PC" is a "Personal Computer" and unfortunately has become synonymous with "Windows" computers.

Mac is a brand, like HP is a brand, both are PC's that run on different Operating Systems.
  • Options
    BryanBensingBryanBensing Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Congrats! I as well switched from PC to Mac last year with a Mac Pro 2008.... absolutely love it....
  • Options
    Jo_n534Jo_n534 Posts: 38 Member
    edited June 2009
    HAHAH! I recently switched to a mac too, only 20" though. But I love it! I rarely go on my PC now!
  • Options
    jessimaejessimae Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i switched last year & am running the last gen. midrange macbook & i LOVE it, i've never been so happy with any of my pc's. my mother is computer illiterate & she loves my mac also b/c she says it's so easy to use and "actually works" haha, she'll pick it up over her dell if i'm not using it any day! in about 6mo or so i'm going to upgrade to the imac for more computing power (but keep my macbook around for school & when i need to be mobile).
  • Options
    XandrajuneXandrajune Posts: 11 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I absolutely love my mac book pro, I just got it in the mail this past wednesday. I've always wanted a mac book but I had never really used one, but I knew that I was going to purchase one for college. It takes getting used to but now that I know what I'm doing for the most part I love it, and I dont think I'll ever go back to a pc. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    athinasimsathinasims Posts: 157 Member
    edited June 2009
    Never back to pc never. I have Windows XP installed via bootcamp but I seldomly pay a visit :)
    MICHAEL JACKSON XSCAPE
  • Options
    ScrapbookLoriScrapbookLori Posts: 5 New Member
    edited June 2009

SORRY!! You're right! I am still getting used to it all. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • Options
    kjanie08kjanie08 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2009
    Congrats on joining the Mac world! I love my MacBook Pro (even though at the moment it is unable to run Sims 3 cuz I don't have Leopard). I switched to Macs about 3 years ago & I love them!

FYI Mac is not a brand, Apple is the brand. :)
  • Options
    DrubDrub Posts: 9 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Congrats on your purchase! I held out on upgrading from a g4 tower to my 24" iMac for as long as I could and planned it around the Sims 3 launch.

Upgrading like this always feels so good.
  • Options
    fuchsiarascalfuchsiarascal Posts: 41 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I have a feeling that I'm going to end up in your situation if I can't ever play the Sims on my current MacBook. My friend has offered to sell me his $1800 Apple desktop for $800, the only thing stopping me is I don't have the money right now (but I'm dog sitting a whole bunch in August that will get me that money). The Sims isn't my only reason for wanting to buy it (have you ever tried to do graphic editing with a laptop? It sucks!) but it's definitely factoring in.
  • Options
    Surge1411Surge1411 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i love my macs. but my laptop wouldnt run the game so i also went to apple and purchased a new 24in iMac, 2100 total so i can play the sims 3!!! i love it!
  • Options
    fadedbluefadedblue Posts: 4 New Member
    edited June 2009
    I'm also in this boat -

I knew I'd be needing to get a new computer when my applecare runs out for my MacBook in October, but my issues running the game have prompted me to get an iMac instead of a new MacBook and sooner : ) Just need to wait for my next paycheck as I just shelled out for a moving truck, ew.
  • Options
    Sammymon2000Sammymon2000 Posts: 18 Member
    edited June 2009
    TO ALL WHO OWN A NEW iMAC 24"!

What video card did you end up choosing, and how smoothly is the game running for you?

I am very, very interested in getting a top end 24" as soon as WWDC is over (hoping that either the iMacs are updated or at least Snow Leopard will start coming with it), pending financing of course (:(), and want to make sure that it's worth my money to do so (I already own a Macbook so no need selling me on Apple, I'm already devoted!)

Basically, I want to be able to run the Sims 3 at max graphics and still have it NOT LAG! Is there such a possibility?
  • Options
    VivianoViviano Posts: 26 New Member
    edited June 2009
    haha this is awesome. We went from a post on the pricing of a computer and game, to talking bout new mac users. Im a BIG Apple and RIM guy, so i like hearing this! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    zander7526zander7526 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited June 2009
    i also have the same imac. are you using the internal speakers on the imac or have you purchased other speakers.

i am using bose companion 5 speakers and when i play the sims the sound is crackly and distorted!!??

any ideas?

thanks
  • Options
    GriceyGricey Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Got sims3 on Thursday, but have had to upgrade my OS Tiger to Leopard and increase my RAM...or take the game back...so yep, I upgraded at the cost of about £100 and my imac is now A-Maze-Ing!

Macs are so much better than Windows PCs. Its true. Once you go Mac, you never go back!
  • Options
    SIMCOOKIESIMCOOKIE Posts: 45 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Viviano wrote:
    haha this is awesome. We went from a post on the pricing of a computer and game, to talking bout new mac users. Im a BIG Apple and RIM guy, so i like hearing this! :mrgreen:

Well my iMac is due via fedex any moment I'm a PC no more...
  • Options
    LolitaDollLolitaDoll Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2009
    i got my mac just before 2008 and i maxed it out as much as i could (totaling near to $4000 Australian dollars. Australia is around 70/80 cents to the USA dollar).

I have a ATI Radeon HD2600 graphics cards and i have the sims 3 running at nearly max graphic settings. I haven't noticed a problem. (though after i downloaded some new objects and houses there were a couple of seconds at one point where it took a little longer to load the customization options.)

I've got 4GB ram and a 2.8 processor. 24" screen as well. I love my mac. I've never actually cared for a computer but i would be truly upset if something happened to my mac. I really enjoy being on the computer now. Theres no way i would have continued my career in graphic design had i stayed with a pc!