Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Useless CC - Great job EA!

Comments

• Options
    nicolebrittanyynicolebrittanyy Posts: 6,513 Member
    edited March 2011
    Ohhh... so it is a launcher issue. That sucks. Sometimes the launcher and exchange can be really glitchy and they both stop working. Do you have the latest update for EADM?
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited March 2011
    I have had my share of corrupt files, and I suggest that you don't download anything from anywhere. Believe me, I know, I have downloaded a lot. Not just with Sims 3 but with Sims 2, and I can tell you right now don't waste your time thinking that custard is going to solve your problem. If you download then you simply take a risk of getting something. We all have security on our computers, but we still get virus. Just don't download anything or if you must keep it to minimum and be careful where you download from.
  • Options
    johnnosimjohnnosim Posts: 76 New Member
    edited March 2011
    You guys are very nice and patient, thank you. I could have been a little more concise I suppose...

So I tried an iten in the store...worked fine, no problems.

The difference:

With the store, I chose the DL, it loaded the game launcher but the content did not show. HOWEVER, then you load the game and open the DOWNLOADS DASHBOARD and there is the content, you install it there is no difficulty.

With the exchange, you try a DL and it loads the game launcher but the CC just sits in the "download" portion of the game launcher. It kind of looks like it's trying to download but is not. You can click on teh Question mark in the upper right corner and no error or message is available. If I load the game, the DL in question does not show in the DOWNLOAD DASHBOARD.

nicolebrittanyy, thanks for asking this. I meant to stipulate earlier that I do have the newest version of the EADM.

LadyEmillye, thanks for your offer of help, give me a few minutes and I'll give you two links on two Female Sims I tried multiple times to DL.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    javascript:updateDownloadCountOpenNewWindow(844705,'sims3://download?assetId=844705');

javascript:updateDownloadCountOpenNewWindow(3527806,'sims3://download?assetId=3527806');

Hmmm...how do I post the link?

Going to have to figure this out...I usually just click on the button that says ADD TO GAME and it's JAVA-SCRIPT. So I guess you'd take this script and riun it in your browser...
  • Options
    TracykatladyTracykatlady Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2011
    If this is happened in the last week it could very well be the site/launcher. For some reason, and no matter what browser I use, the site seems to be all over the place lately and certain things won't work. (Leave me alone Liam!) For instance the home page is... broken? The layout is all messed up and the drop downs from the navigation bar aren't working. The forums seem to be a annoying too, a lot of double posting ect and the whole "you don't have the privileges" nonsense. So maybe consider that the exchange/launcher/store items might be having issues that is effecting your game.

This isn't directed at the OP. But:

* If you've got store content that is illegally downloaded from somewhere (Peer to peer etc) please get rid of it now - it can have virus' and make your game go crazy. It is ILLEGAL and the more people pirate EA's products the more us abiding citizens have to pay. Don't do it!

* I suggest getting a good anti-virus and a malicious software scanner if you've been downloading CC. ie. Avast and Malwarebites or something like that. BUT NOT TWO FULL BLOW ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS - THEY WILL WAR!!! Also, not Norton it's so called protection is laughable.

* CC checkers as people have already suggested.

* I can imagine that EA probably aren't happy with people making and using free stuff for their games - maybe they have something to do with it. If I were in charge of EA I wouldn't want that sort of thing ruining my profits. Think about it.

I don't use CC and only download from people on the exchange who don't use it - the only problems I've got with my game have been caused by EA's glitches and it's minimal considering all the wacky stuff people have been posting. A patch that actually fixes some of these problems would be very much appreciated EA..
  • Options
    GoodMorningMrSunGoodMorningMrSun Posts: 1,541 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Did you check it and then click the download button, in the launcher? Just because it is on the list in the launcher doesn't mean it's in your game.

I only say that because When I first started using the launcher, I didn't know there was a difference between it going in my game and just going in the launcher.

I'm sorry if this is totally off the mark :oops:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OK...

...so if you click on the picture of the download it will tell you more about the item. You also have the option of downloading the file to your desktop as a SIMS3PACK.

So is that the better way to do it, is the exchange launcher just incompetent and you're required to do a manual install instead?
  • Options
    GoodMorningMrSunGoodMorningMrSun Posts: 1,541 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I've found it useful to click the "Save File" link under the Download button when using the exchange.

When a window pops up, click "Open." This skips the launcher completely, and just starts the install process.

I can't remember if I said that in this thread before or not :oops:
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    edited March 2011
    I'll need the actual link to the sims, the http:// from the addy please
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Tracykatlady.

Believe it or not I'm a Tech, I manage a computer store and spend most of my time at work removing viruses. So I'm good for keeping myself safe and not getting viruses. Didn't mean to sound pretentious, I appreciate your help, just wangted to assure you I know alot about computers. I just suck at explaining things and typing, lol.

Malware Bytes is the best thing out there, though I use it everyday :)

Yes GoodMorningMrSun I tried that, the content is just sitting there and checking the content does nothing. There is no option to install it. Whereas, an item I just tried to install from the store, went in the download area of the launcher (although it did not show at first) and allowed me to install it.

Content from the exchange, will load the launcher, go into the dl section of the launcher but will not work, install or go any further than that.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    * I can imagine that EA probably aren't happy with people making and using free stuff for their games - maybe they have something to do with it. If I were in charge of EA I wouldn't want that sort of thing ruining my profits. Think about it.

I follow game development, in the case of the SIMS franchise, I have had Most of SIMS and SIMS2 content purchased. I "JUST" got the SIMS3 in the last week or 2 weeks but honestly I expected the third time around for them to be near perfect.

I can assure you this is the same BS for the third time, pretty ridiculous.

I can recall interviews where either Will Wright or a spokesperson prior to the Sims3 release stated they would be "SUPPORTING" the mod community as they are partly responsible for making the game so great. I do not think this was a true statement, this was just a fluffy lie as a politician would do prior to an election to gain votes.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    johnnosim wrote:
    Thanks Tracykatlady.

Believe it or not I'm a Tech, I manage a computer store and spend most of my time at work removing viruses. So I'm good for keeping my safe and not getting viruses.

Malware Bytes is the best thing out there :)

It's sad that not even a computer tech can get their game to work. EA REALLY needs to sort their issues out.

If only more people knew about MB. Honestly, I was writing about in my Applied Information Technology assessment last year and the teacher circled it then wrote next to it "What is this?" I ended up giving him the link to site and he's been using MB since, lol. I'm a bit of a computer tech myself except I lack the title and the job; I hope I can make that real though. :D

• Options
    edited March 2011
    johnnosim wrote:
    I can recall interviews where either Will Wright or a spokesperson prior to the Sims3 release stated they would be "SUPPORTING" the mod community as they are partly responsible for making the game so great. I do not think this was a true statement, this was just a fluffy lie as a politician would do prior to an election to gain votes.

Ha! EA might as well be a bunch of politicians: they make a lot of money, upset people and make promises they will never fulfill. Zing!

Edit: fixed the quote BB code. Opps!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first one I prolly won't download. 151 MB of CC. That's a lot of CC. I will test it through Custard tho.

I'll get back to you in a minute.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There are some really bad viruses out there, you have to be very cautious.

It's a total cold war online.

Virus Protection programs write and update thier virus definitions daily however the viruses write and change themselves daily also.

I have had to literally throw away Hard drives in rare occasions if the viruses (bootkits) get in deep enough.

I can honestly say that 2 out of 3 viruses I see almost daily is one called "SYSTEM TOOL" or othertimes know as "SYSTEM TOOL 2011." It gets through everything and then hijacks your PC. Norton, McAfee, F-Secure, AVG, PANDA and AVAST I know cannot stop it. Malware Bytes is usually good to clean it up though with Spybot.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first one I prolly won't download. 151 MB of CC. That's a lot of CC. I will test it through Custard tho.

I'll get back to you in a minute.

Yeah that was what really confused me...it's just a SIM. Why is one 944kb and the other 151 MB.

They are both SIMS3 packs though.
  • Options
    immskayleahimmskayleah Posts: 1,818 Member
    edited March 2011
    johnnosim wrote:
    Over an hour screwing around with Sims 3 trying to get CC from the store to download and install; I give up.

Middle finger salute to you EA. Great job, third installation of the Sims and it's far from working well. JEEZ, after this time it should be perfect or at least WORKING!!! I can't believe how complicated you made it for users, I'm a computer Tech and I can't get it to work; good luck to others with no tech experience.

I tried DL'ing a few Custome Content packages from The Sims Resource and they never worked, I understand that they won't work because of missing expansion packs. However from the EA exchange I have tried about 10 or more simply clothing items or sims and can't get any of them to work.

Complete BS.
    I am truly sorry I have spent any money on Sims 3; I knew I should not have come back after Sims 2. It is very obvious there is not concern with making a quality product, only the ambition to make money and the consumer can go to hell.

First, I wouldn't call store items CC, as it is an EA made product.
    You cannot blame EA for bad CC from other sites or even the exchange. They do tell you that they do not support CC from any site and that the Exchange could have corrupt CC. I am not defending EA, heaven knows they jack around and screw up a lot, but CC? No that's yours to deal with if you download it. Sorry. I say get rid of all the CC and start over with a vanilla game and just get store items.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This is what I meant when I said the site looked a little crazy. It's what the home page looks like on firefox. It looks normal in internet explorer though. Does anyone else have this issue? And I apologise for the size.

sims3sitegocrazy.jpg
  • Options
    CuddlyBunCuddlyBun Posts: 6,514 New Member
    edited March 2011
    The home page looks fine for me, and I'm also on Firefox. Weird.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The 151 MB one, has over 40 transferrable CC. That alone would make me not want to download it. But none of the CC is corrupt according to Custard.

As for the other one, I took some screens:

Here she is in the launcher, after clicking on "Add to Game":

install1.png"width=640"

Incidentally, the Element Series download I have is my own house, and for whatever reason, even when I click install, it won't. I'll have to check my game. Seems odd :/

Which brings me to this, you have to click on the box next to the sim, so the install button will become active to click. Click it and it should install. Store Content, I do believe, automatically installs itself, where things from the exchange is manual install:

install2.png"width=640"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CuddlyBun wrote:
    The home page looks fine for me, and I'm also on Firefox. Weird.

AH!! What version do you have? I have 3.6.15 and that update was downloaded and installed yesterday.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes, yes, yes but really what is being talked about here is the actual inability to actually download and install the content. Not the lack of the content working. I cannot even get the content to install or fully work with the installer whereas the stuff from the store works JUST FINE.

The content not working in the game is redundant as the stupid piece of crap luancher supplied by EA doesn't work so I can't get as far as installing the content to see if it loads or works in the first place.

Sims3 objects,Sims, clothing etc loaded to the exchange shouldn't be considered CC either, should they? They are Sims or objects uploaded to the exchange to be shared that were made by EA/SIMS3 applications most of the time are they not? So shouldn't we have absolutely NO PROBLEM downloading any using them?
  • Options
    ilovesims38ilovesims38 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited March 2011
    Oh, blah blah blah. Someone's but.hurt again and they just couldn't wait to come here, pounce on EA, and throw them a bunch of useless, monotonous drivel in the form of a thread that has been reproduced way too many times. There is absolutely nothing anyone else can say that hasn't been mentioned already. Take a puff and chill out, man.

Congratulation! You're the first to post something that doesn't make me want to bludgeon myself to death with the first large object I can get my hands on, you deserve a cookie. :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    johnnosim wrote:
    Yes, yes, yes but really what is being talked about here is the actual inability to actually download and install the content. Not the lack of the content working. I cannot even get the content to install or fully work with the installer whereas the stuff from the store works JUST FINE.

The content not working in the game is redundant as the stupid piece of crap luancher supplied by EA doesn't work so I can't get as far as installing the content to see if it loads or works in the first place.

Sims3 objects,Sims, clothing etc loaded to the exchange shouldn't be considered CC either, should they? They are Sims or objects uploaded to the exchange to be shared that were made by EA/SIMS3 applications most of the time are they not? So shouldn't we have absolutely NO PROBLEM downloading any using them?

I also said this: "Incidentally, the Element Series download I have is my own house, and for whatever reason, even when I click install, it won't. I'll have to check my game. Seems odd :/ "

It won't install at all, but there are workarounds.