The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HELP!; ASAP. Did I do something wrong? D:

Okay, so I just got Late Night. I was so excited to play it. I downloaded it, made a new sim in the new town.

The clubs and all that opened.
NO ONE was there.
Cept a few. Maybe like 4 people at one?
I saw 1 celeb, no vamps.

Did I download something wrong or what?
Where are all the big crowds? :(
98x847.jpg
Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets.

Comments

• Options
    QueenDorkus20QueenDorkus20 Posts: 89
    edited November 2010
    It depends on who you talk to. One side of people say it's your computer's fault because your processor can't handle a bunch of sims in the clubs. The other side said it is shoddy and glitchy software in the game itself which leads to bigger problems in the game itself. I'm with the latter group, that it's shoddy and glitchy software from the company itself.
  • Options
    whitewaveldcwhitewaveldc Posts: 532 Member
    edited November 2010
    The glitches people get in the games vary. I have seen a lot of post's where people keep saying that their clubs are empty. The clubs in my game are not empty but they are not overflowing with sims either. The usual is between 4-8 sims. So I would say don't worry you did nothing wrong and just hang in there until a new patch comes out. :)
  • Options
    elijahhines10elijahhines10 Posts: 6,433 Member
    edited November 2010
    Do you guys even know if she was in a hotspot or not?

Were you in a hotspot?
  • Options
    DiRTYGYMSOCKxxDiRTYGYMSOCKxx Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2010
    Do you guys even know if she was in a hotspot or not?

Were you in a hotspot?

I have no idea. o__o
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    kcpzkcpz Posts: 549 New Member
    edited November 2010
    Could be a number of things: What time were you there? What club was it? Was it an exlusive club?

Then back to other possibilities: How's your processor? Are you use to seeing a lot of sims on other lots in previous plays?

If you go too early or even an hour before close then yes, it will likely be near empty. If you go to places with exclusive access then yes, it will likely be empty as once denied, sims leave the lot. If it isn't a hotspot, that could definitely make a difference because why would party sims go where it's dead?

If you normal don't have many sims running around the neighborhood then it probably is your computer. When I play Sunset I can easily have ten or more sims show up at the park so I know what my computer can handle. When at an open club during a hotspot time near nighttime, the place is usually overflowing.

Obviously if none of these point to your problem then yeah, probably a glitch :XD:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    kcpz wrote:
    Could be a number of things: What time were you there? What club was it? Was it an exlusive club?

Then back to other possibilities: How's your processor? Are you use to seeing a lot of sims on other lots in previous plays?

If you go too early or even an hour before close then yes, it will likely be near empty. If you go to places with exclusive access then yes, it will likely be empty as once denied, sims leave the lot. If it isn't a hotspot, that could definitely make a difference because why would party sims go where it's dead?

If you normal don't have many sims running around the neighborhood then it probably is your computer. When I play Sunset I can easily have ten or more sims show up at the park so I know what my computer can handle. When at an open club during a hotspot time near nighttime, the place is usually overflowing.

Obviously if none of these point to your problem then yeah, probably a glitch :XD:

Well this sucks. How do you know if your computer can handle it? Cos I JUST got this laptop and I'm pretty sure it can handle it..it's just not showing a lot of sims, even before I had Late Night.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited November 2010
    is your CPU 2.4 ghs or 1.8 or faster if a multi core?
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    is your CPU 2.4 ghs or 1.8 or faster if a multi core?

I'm not quite sure on that one. All I know is that I have a Toshiba Satellite.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you go to Run -> "msinfo32"

From there on the main selection it will tell you your processor information. Also go to Components -> Display and see what your graphics card is. I noticed when I upgraded that more sims did appear in public lots.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Um...where would that be? xD
    But why would I need to update it if this is a brand new laptop?
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    lesley418lesley418 Posts: 4,077 New Member
    edited November 2010
    If it's not the computer, then it might be that it's just not the "hottest" hotspot in town. Sometimes I have to go hotspot hunting Haha. Also, they don't really start showing up until later!! =)
  • Options
    aadddaaddd Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited November 2010
    It depends on who you talk to. One side of people say it's your computer's fault because your processor can't handle a bunch of sims in the clubs. The other side said it is shoddy and glitchy software in the game itself which leads to bigger problems in the game itself. I'm with the latter group, that it's shoddy and glitchy software from the company itself.
    I knew it!!! was not always our computers fault I was right all along thanks for posting that :mrgreen:
  • Options
    BellaJeanBellaJean Posts: 69 New Member
    edited November 2010
    It has nothing to do with your computer, it is because of the way the game is set up...To get into a "hot spot" the sims NPC or not has to have minim 4 star level to go inside the hot spot...if you look around in your game, you'll notice that there are "celebrities" but most have a rating of 2-3 stars...IT STUPID! I wasted a ton of my time by creating households of celebrities that have a high celebrity rating so that way when the sim I am actually playing goes to a club there will be other people there besides the employees. This has worked but for the amount of time & effort put into it just so my "celebrity" wouldn't be a loner at the clubs was not worth it. I built my computer less than a year ago and put over $2,500 into building it. It is not the computer its the game...HOPEFULLY they will fix this because it makes this EP a bit lacking...but not as lacking as the "apartments", what a joke I was so excited to hear that they were going to have apartments in this game...I guess not, they are not even a glorified houses, its just a restricted, limited house & no other families or NPC can live in the building?! Anyways I will get off my rant, I have bought every singe EP & SP for the sims 3 on the release dates & so far am not very impressed with any of them :(
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do go to hot spots! But even when I do there's like..2 people!
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    stormwenchstormwench Posts: 4,416 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I think its a bit of both. Like how many sims will generate for a protest or an awards cerebration downtown the clubs seem to populate in much the same way. I think that the number of sims that will show up even in hot-spots tend to be governed by what settings were detected on the computer when the game was installed. I have the game running on 3 computers with different results ding about the same things with the same sims. The same clubs produce different number of sims from 6 to 14 depending on computer.

I think EA underrated how many clubbies can show up before it causes a performance problem but they should have provided players with a slider in options to allow you to set the maximum you think works for you without performance issues.

But that is not the whole story. Going to the clubs first thing, probably before all the town sims have been generated seem to have less show up then if you play a while before going and better clubs and venues seem to attract more sims - which makes sense. Its pretty difficult to guess how many might be over at the top end club while your in a dive with just the few that can't get in there.

We have to remember that many settings in the game are based on the minimum requirements to run the game so given that you can see why you may have many fewer then your computer can handle because the next guy's computer could not handle it. This is why I don't think we want EA to just up the numbers across the board and then watch how many people run into performance issues and even crashing because the number of sims generated to fill a club up are just too many. This is why a slider option would be so much better. Maybe the install thinks your computer could only handle 5 while you want to try for 10 or more - and it would be nice to have the option to set it by each player.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So are you basically saying I wasted $40 on this game?
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    MsMidolUSAMsMidolUSA Posts: 328 Member
    edited November 2010
    I play it in SV and my my bars are always full. But when I play in (the town that came with LN can't think of the name) My bar's are empty. Read your paper everyday and find out the hotspots and then go to it. And I doubt that it is your computer unless it is old. To many people have this problem. I have the problem in the one town and I just had my husband (who is a computer programmer) Update everything on my laptop to windows 7 and all of the updates you name it. So you did nothing wrong. BTW have fun playing it is great addition the the 3 ep family.
    And you did not waste your money try playing in SV.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    My laptop is brand new. I looked in the newspaper for hot spots. I went to the hot spot it said "Look, it's totally packed"..or something along those lines but there were only 2 sims there.
    My windows 7 is pretty updated along with everything else.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    iluvzvolleyiluvzvolley Posts: 1,934 New Member
    edited November 2010
    I play in Bridgeport and everything works like it's supposed to. Sure, there's less people when I play in dive bars and places that aren't hot spots, but isn't it supposed to be like that? Give it some time; I hope it works out for you. If not, just enjoy what's there without all the Sims. One or two is better than none at all, right? I hope you can find a way to enjoy the new game even if your clubs are empty. :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I hope they like, make a solution to this because I'd really like to play this game with the crowds. </3
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited November 2010
    but not as lacking as the "apartments", what a joke I was so excited to hear that they were going to have apartments in this game...I guess not, they are not even a glorified houses, its just a restricted, limited house & no other families or NPC can live in the building?!

This may be the case in Bridgeport in existing appartments but I've switched over to Sunset Valley because I didn't like Bridgeport too much. Anyway, after reading a topic on here about creating your own appartments using the hidden and public room things, I created my own building with several hidden NPC appartments and after moving my sim in, and clicking on the house phone downstairs, which I also added, I found 45 NPC sims living in the house. There was loads of activity around the elevators, pool, front garden.....sims were coming and going all the time and it was really easy to meet them. I couldn't find the trash chute though so I had to keep going down the elevator to empty the trash. Hmmmmm.....

I would say, give the game a chance before coming to conclusions about the game possibilities. I think you just have to work it out and learn more about the game to find out exactly what it can do.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Computer age doesn't mean anything. The computer I play on is around four years old and can handle games amazingly well but I do have updated graphics card and desktops in general usually have higher processing potential (at least back then - laptops are certainly catching up now).

I think all you can do right now is wait for the patch. If it is a glitch then the patch will fix it. If it is your computer then sorry there isn't too much you can do.

If you are still wanting to find processing speed, then to do what I suggested earlier you need to search for run in the basic search box under the start menu then follow those instructions.

The only other suggestion is possibly lower a lot of your settings and see what difference that will make.
  • Options
    YahtzamiYahtzami Posts: 6,301 Member
    edited November 2010
    BellaJean wrote:
    It has nothing to do with your computer, it is because of the way the game is set up...To get into a "hot spot" the sims NPC or not has to have minim 4 star level to go inside the hot spot...

That is absolutely NOT true. Being a celeb has nothing to do w/ whether or not they can get into a hotspot. For instance, if The Grind is the hotspot, anyone can get in there because it is not a restricted or exclusive club. On the other hand, if the Prosper Room is the Hotspot, your sim may not be able to get in if they are not a 3 or 4 star celeb. That is because the Prosper Room is an exclusive club. Your sim wouldn't be able to get in on a night that it isn't a hotspot.

To the OP...I don't know if I would call empty clubs a true glitch because not everyone is having the issue...on the other hand, I don't know how much of it can be attributed to individual computers either. I think certainly what your comp can handle will factor in...but you commented that there were never a lot of sims in public places BEFORE LN...that would hint to me that maybe in this instance, it does have to do with what your comp can handle. I also think that people are going to the clubs in the game and expecting crowds like the one in the trailer video and that just isn't going to happen. That shot was set up by very talented programers specifically for that video. Depending on the club, the time, and the day (if the club is a hotspot or not) I have anywhere from 4-15 sims in my clubs. Sometimes in a non-hotspot I am pleasantly surprised to see 6 or 7 sims in the little dive bar, and other times I am disappointed to see only 6 or 7 in the HotSpot Dance Club. Just like real life...sometimes the club is jumpin'...sometimes it is a dud. Something else to consider too...I have noticed that the longer I play the more sims I see out and about as new sims move into town. I suggest maybe give it a bit of time and give your town a chance to come to life. In the meantime, make some freinds and take advantage of the "Form a Group" feature so there are always at least a couple of sims to interact with in the clubs.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well if my laptop can't handle the Sims 3 (even though its like brand new and has the best things ever), then whats the point? I mean; it's so boring without the crowds. I can't like do anything.
    But I have noticed that there is more people in like SV and the other town than the new one. Which I don't really like cos I wanted to try the new one out a lot.
    I don't know. I just hope someone somehow figures out a way for the people who can't handle a lot of sims to get around this problem. Because I really hate the fact I spent so much money and I can't even play it like most people play it.
    98x847.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It was basically like the same thing on my old laptop before LN. That laptop was 4 years old and was pretty good. SO I really don't think it could possibly be the same compared to a new updated computer with better..everything.
    98x847.jpg