Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No "Simish" for The Sims 4. Be able to speak real languages.

Comments

• Options
    StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2010
    Well I actually would like to hear my sims speaking english french and german would be quite amusing.

I work in a service industry and overhear a great many conversations everyday and yes they are repetative in real life lol.

I have been playing the sims since they were first released and even conversations in simlish are repetative LOL my sims say the same things all the time LOL
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited May 2010
    Well I actually would like to hear my sims speaking english french and german would be quite amusing.

I work in a service industry and overhear a great many conversations everyday and yes they are repetative in real life lol.

I have been playing the sims since they were first released and even conversations in simlish are repetative LOL my sims say the same things all the time LOL

That's because the Sims actually have a very limited vocabulary. When you stop to think about it, they use the same words to express different things.

I always have to shake my head at the people who want EA to make the Sims speak English, though. And it's always Americans who ask for this. They're the only ones I know who are uncomfortable with the idea of anyone speaking anything *but* English, whereas Europeans, in general, aren't bothered by anyone speaking more than one language; in fact, I have heard that in some countries children learn two or three during the course of their growing up years.

I vote no for this idea. Being bilingual myself (English/Spanish, I'm quite comfy with the idea of my Sims speaking in their own unique language.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    LisaV913zLisaV913z Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited May 2010
    21858d1249726366-subcontractors-wanted-22_old_thread.jpg
  • Options
    ZipsterZipster Posts: 72 New Member
    edited May 2010
    Chris..... ABSOLUTLY HORID IDEA

Chris3000: 0
    Smart Simmers: 100
  • Options
    SelahFreeAtLastSelahFreeAtLast Posts: 5,102 Member
    edited May 2010
    Hello old thread from 06/05/10. But since you are back.
    Simlish rules. Simlish forever.
    ID selahfreeatlast @deema316 on twitter
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited May 2010
    No, It would be like a doll where you pull the string and listen to it talk. You would get tired of the same thing over and over again. I had rather have simlish. You don't really pay that much attention to what they say so it doesn't really sound like they are repeating the same thing when the carry on a conversation.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    JixiJixi Posts: 733 New Member
    edited May 2010
    I think if the sims were speaking to where you could understand them many would runaway screaming from the game. I would anyway, I can't imagine the same conversation lines over and over and over and over. There would be no replay value to it for me no matter what all sims could do otherwise. With the thought bubbles and gibberish you can atleast have some inagination as to what how their conversation is going instead of the same words repeated again and again and again.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited May 2010
    It would be cool to see what their always saying but they would never do that because then they couldn't release it worldwide without making a Japanese or Chinese version.
    This is not the problem at all because if EA made sound files for the game so the Sims could speak English then it wouldn't be any big problem to translate those sound files to a lot of other languages. The sound files would be big files however. But they didn't all have to be distributed with the game because EA could just make all other language versions of the sound files available as downloads.

No, the problem is to make the original English version of those sound files. In real life we repeat many words but we are still able to vary the way we use all those words almost infinitely. The Sims could not do that without making a lot of meaningless random sentences which wouldn't give any meaning. To avoid this EA would have to save all possible exact sentences in the sound files and just let the Sims pick random sentences from the files. But this would never give meaningful conversations anyway. Just sentences without context or a lot of irritating repetitions. There is no way to make such conversations interesting for us to hear except for the first few hours. After that we would just be forced to play the game without sound because we just couldn't stand to hear those monotone repeating "conversations" anymore.
  • Options
    SoukinaSoukina Posts: 1,337 New Member
    edited June 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Never again will a sim flirting by saying something about meat sound cool!
  • Options
    superzack96superzack96 Posts: 812 New Member
    edited June 2010
    i LOOOOOOVE similish!!! i want it to stay FOREVER!!!
  • Options
    DeadlySimPDeadlySimP Posts: 2,124 New Member
    edited June 2010
    NO OF COURSE NO!!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE SIMLISH!!!!!!!!!
    LEAVE THEM BE!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    GeorgefPlayGeorgefPlay Posts: 4,459 Member
    edited June 2010
    No way!Simlish is the best language!

Let there be SIMLISH!!! <3
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    George is right......
    HAIL THE SIMLISH!!!!!!!

And why are we talking about sims 4....???
    Sims 3 is still on the start.......
    There will be a lot of time till sims 4......

• Options
    JVENNJVENN Posts: 936 Member
    edited June 2010
    Boo Ana Fatoo
    :D My Origin ID is Octavia Moon. I've made some celebrity sims and will be making houses soon :)
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cuh-teek-a-loo ?
  • Options
    Allie12Allie12 Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    i dont think so even tho it would be a whole lot less annoying
  • Options
    kaweecheemakaweecheema Posts: 59 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Look at it this way: What if somebody got rid of your native language and forced you to learn nearly every single language from around the world? Don't put these poor sims through that. It's like school for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    Beth8301Beth8301 Posts: 4,657 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I think that if we could understand them, it would be too distracting. Like can you imagine having two or more sets of sims having conversations at a party or something? You'll lose your mind if you try to listen to what everyone says...even if you don't try, you'll still be listening. Personally, this would drive me nuts.
  • Options
    laurenruth915laurenruth915 Posts: 4,102 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Horrible idea. Period.
  • Options
    HalfToothHalfTooth Posts: 70 New Member
    edited June 2010
    The reason for using Simlish is to convey emotions without using a specific language. The makers thought the emotion behind the words was important not the words themselves. And I agree.

However I wouldn't mind smilish but with accents. I've always wanted to make a Jamacian or Texan, or english sim, and even if I can get them to look the park they don't sound right. :(
    I was a little disappointed that you can get your sims to go to France and China and Egypt but the sims that live there don't have french of chinese or Egyption accents :(

But the essence of the game really is the emotion, not the words.
  • Options
    menemene Posts: 2,322 Member
    edited June 2010
    simish4eva
  • Options
    Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 7,004 Member
    edited June 2010
    Chris3000,

Its a little early to start talking about the sims four, plus, do you realize how much more expensive and time consuming it would be for them to do it in English, and French, and German, and Japanese and Chinese, and well over two dozen other languages? It might be nice for people who speak English to hear them in English, but people speak foreign tongues would want to hear them in their language as well. Plus it would get kind of repetitive, since they would be still saying the same things over and over again. That's why they created Simlish in the first place.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    People really should stop raising dead threads. I bet this poor Simmer (the OP) has gone off somewhere with his/her tail tucked between his/her legs because of all the negative feedback to his/her idea.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    TheJohnyManTheJohnyMan Posts: 289 New Member
    edited June 2010
    :lol: youre funny! you act like this would ever happen! The creators wouldnt change ANYTHING that is huge in the Sims. If the Sims 4 comes out probably in like 4-5 years, I will know it will have simlish and no sim will say "Hello! I like spagetti! Also if someone talked to how would they say your name? What if you made a stupid name like Tdjhfahgfygbduy Bhvbfhwqnfxp? would the creators have to record all names. Maybe they'd have arranged names you pick. NOBODY WOULD WANT THAT. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You Made My Day so Humourous

Thank You!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    @TheJohnnyMan, don't know if you're talking to me or the original poster, but you do realize that this thread was made about 3 days after the release of the Sims 3? Back in June of 2009, in fact.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top