Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Solution for crashing to desktop

If your computer is windows vista service pack 2 then this might work for you. I have both ambitions and the sims 3 and it has solved both of them from crashing to the desktop.

1. Click on the start menu -> then click the control panel -> then click on the system
2. in the left panel click advanced system settings -> click advanced tab -> the performance settings -> Data execution prevention

3. Make sure that it is on for all programs and services exceot those i select.
then click the add -> click on drive (C: ) then program files -> electronic arts -> then for all of your expansion packs click on the game -> then bin -> then click the actual game fie .exe (dont click the sims 3lancher) and then just add it to the list.

4. Shut down the computer and reload and then your sims 3 and abitions should work.

this might also work for world adventures and high end loft.

Good luck! :)

Comments

• Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited May 2018
    [deleted]
    Post edited by Simpkin on
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    heavenlysparkles12heavenlysparkles12 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Simpkin wrote:
    Aw, that's not fair.
    I've Windows Vista SP2 but it's not working for me. :(

Are you trying it in full screen cause i havent tried it in full screen but i know it works in window mode.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hm.. I might try the window mode.
    Although I don't agree with messing around my computer cause of someone else's mistake.
    Thanks I'll try it out.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope. Didn't work for me.
    As soon as I got to save something it crashes.
  • Options
    TastytrublendTastytrublend Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2010
    Simpkin wrote:
    Aw, that's not fair.

I have vista and this worked great for me. I was so excited that I was able to play finally last night.
  • Options
    Flipside1972Flipside1972 Posts: 135
    edited June 2010
    Thing is, I get the same problem, and I use Windows 7, which defaults to DEP being off for non-vital programs, I even turned it on purely to add the Sims to the not-used list, just to see if that helped, it didn't.

I'm sure EA are doing all they can to fix the problem, but it's actually starting to get depressing now.

It appears to be linked to storage to be honest, or possibly to the amount the game changed since the last save, if I move loads of stuff between the character and some sort of storage device between saves, it increases the odds of a crash, if I build too much between saves, it crashes on save, if I try to drag too many single-instances of an object to storage (such as trying to drop a pile of 600 Flame-Fruit into the Fridge), it freezes for a few moments and CTD, but on other occasions, I've dropped over 1000 Life-Fruit into the Fridge without problem, which is odd.

So, I think the error revolves around that, hopefully it will provide a point to start to deal with it.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Simpkin wrote:
    Aw, that's not fair.

I have vista and this worked great for me. I was so excited that I was able to play finally last night.

I don't know, it just doesn't work for me.

Which is okay cause it doesn't have to work when I change stuff around in my computer. It has to work cause the update isn't crap.
  • Options
    MsLuckiMsLucki Posts: 22 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I have Windows 7 and I exceed the system requirements for the game. After I installed Ambitions, I began building a house. I had no crashing problems at all. Then I moved in a family and started to play. The first time it crashed, it just happened. The next couple of times it crashed was when I was saving the game. The last time I was attempting to save the game, I got an error message (I don't remember what it said) and then the game crashed. I don't know what the problem is so if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it. I tried sending a message to EA Support, but it kept telling me my user name was wrong. I'm going to try again.
  • Options
    Flipside1972Flipside1972 Posts: 135
    edited June 2010
    You probably get the Error Code 13, which crops up on occasion, I've no idea what causes it.

It's actually caused a massive reduction in my Sims 3 playing, same as you, I have a system that far exceeds requirements, but it gets really depressing to play a day or two, go to save, and end up staring at your desktop, I can literally feel my heart-rate increase whenever I save, because it really it sheer luck as to whether it works or not.

Same as you, I can build for hours, but when I return to the family and save, it crashes (I'd also like to add I dislike the ability to edit the town being only inside a live game, especially now that CAW doesn't work any more). If, however, I build a little bit, return to game, save, return to edit town, build a little bit more, etc, it works, but it's an incredibly time-consuming and frustrating way to work.
  • Options
    noddynoddy Posts: 849 Member
    edited June 2010
    Hi everyone I too am having the same problem as everyone , playing for a while then crashes without warning.
    I have all the systems required and then some .
    Also while playing a sim that was in hairdressing styling , wanted to forfill a requist off the music box , went too the buy mode, screen went black and crashed it is so frustrating.

Hope the results off a fix is soon .As it is so frustrating
  • Options
    BlueashesBlueashes Posts: 48 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I've been having this problem a lot too, but I have Windows 7...My computer also exceeds the requirements for the game. I have also been getting error code 13 alot since Ambitions. It's getting really annoying because I feel like I have to save every five minutes and its a toss up on whether or not the save will actually succeed.
  • Options
    ReverendPeaceReverendPeace Posts: 6
    edited June 2010
    I'm drifting alongside the same lifeboat fragment. My new computer can run anything out there now, and for the next ten years, if I'm still alive. Windows 7, so your work-around is a non-started.

What really galls me? I've read almost every page of these forums, happy-go-lucky, until one day I actually looked at the dates on a lot of the posts. June, 2009! EA has known about these issues for over a year, and yet they have done little or nothing to actually fix the problem. Typical.

At least if I install the first SIM3 disc and do NOT install the very first patch, I can play a very basic game now.

The Rev
  • Options
    MAX1MISEMAX1MISE Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2010
    I just think EA is happy if the people crashing all the time are in the minority (or they can make it look that way) and they can string them along with "we're looking into it, or, we know about the issue". It clearly isn't high on there list of things to address otherwise it would have been dealt with by now.

I agree with what others are thinking, in that the issue may be in the way items and actions are being saved/logged/processed on long running Saves or saves with a lot of items on the lot (in the inventory).

I can save after a game-day where I did very few things but if I Tend the garden and add a lot of inventory items that is when I know it will crash/error-12 if I save. What I have had to do is play for just a short time, save with fingers crossed, then shut the game down and restart. This is still not a guarantee it won't crash or produce errors.

Just some kind of note that says, "We think it's X with Y, but it may be a while before it's fixed" would be nice at this point. The issues are only going to get worse if it keeps getting ignored.
  • Options
    JenieusaJenieusa Posts: 5,142 Member
    edited June 2010
    this solution worked for me also..
  • Options
    xlosersclubxlosersclub Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    If your computer is windows vista service pack 2 then this might work for you. I have both ambitions and the sims 3 and it has solved both of them from crashing to the desktop.

1. Click on the start menu -> then click the control panel -> then click on the system
    2. in the left panel click advanced system settings -> click advanced tab -> the performance settings -> Data execution prevention

3. Make sure that it is on for all programs and services exceot those i select.
    then click the add -> click on drive (C: ) then program files -> electronic arts -> then for all of your expansion packs click on the game -> then bin -> then click the actual game fie .exe (dont click the sims 3lancher) and then just add it to the list.

4. Shut down the computer and reload and then your sims 3 and abitions should work.

this might also work for world adventures and high end loft.

Good luck! :)

I can't find the .exe file anywhere on the computer. I tried the program files folder but nothing under electronic arts, tried the my documents folder, even the CD rom drive directly. Is it because I dont have any expansion packs?
  • Options
    heavenlysparkles12heavenlysparkles12 Posts: 15 New Member
    edited June 2010

I can't find the .exe file anywhere on the computer. I tried the program files folder but nothing under electronic arts, tried the my documents folder, even the CD rom drive directly. Is it because I dont have any expansion packs?[/quote]

Its the actual game file its probably just called TS3 thats what it was on mine and you have to have this cause it is the actual game.
  • Options
    Confession68Confession68 Posts: 49 Member
    edited June 2010
    I just tried this solution, and now my latest two saves I was playing are just gone. Now, I have to start over, fantastic ... and I don't even know yet if I can save without it crashing ...
  • Options
    sammyecoansammyecoan Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2010
    :-)I'm new to this but I just wanted to thank heavenlysparkles12 for the information regarding crashing. I tried the suggestions and it worked. So far have been able to play live the TS3 without any crashes and I was able to add the latest update.

Joy!!!!
    :D
  • Options
    sammyecoansammyecoan Posts: 2 New Member
    edited June 2010
    sammyecoan wrote:
    :-)Now all I have to do is add Ambitions. I am hopeful that it will work. :D