Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

***Creative Designing with Darkside266

Comments

• Options
    XOX1XOX1 Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited March 2010

"Avalon Apartments"- by XOX1- Part 1-

Darkside has been asking me to show how I build my creations more in detail for the benefit of some of the newer builders to learn techniques. As I am building this modern, I will be showing my process. As I have stated so many times before, my builds are the natural extension of my gameplay, and my Sim's well being are my primary concern. That is why I appear to be such a slow builder. I will relay this series in sort of a story form, because it is also a chronicle of my current game's storyline...

Pic 1- Skipper Dahl has been commisioned by GriffCorp. International to construct a housing shell for the newly arrived Avalon twins, Vivian and Veronica.
    (Above)- Tiles are used to place-mark keypoints to determine where to begin with a plan roughly in mind.
    (Below)- Car driveway slots are placed. This is best done with a Sim on the lot, because a "Cold Build", without a Sim on the lot makes it impossible to place and test cars without the use of MOO.

AvalonApartments-WIP-01.jpg

Pic 2- The cars are placed, and garages are built around them, and Skipper tests that both of them work by going somewhere and back in both of them. Driveways and walkway are also laid in at this stage.

AvalonApartments-WIP-02.jpg

Pic 3- Now some structural features are laid out. We are going with some slanted columns, and corners to give the shell a more unique look than just being a box. A layer of floor tiles are then placed on top everywhere that they will go.

AvalonApartments-WIP-03.jpg

Pic 4- Just any old columns are placed on the level underneath to allow a full layering of tiles.

AvalonApartments-WIP-04.jpg

Pic 5- The bottom floor tile covering is shaved off using the Ctrl + F keys to make & and delete only triangular tiles. The first floor of the housing's walls are then placed following the contour of the tiles, while at the same time allowing for a wraparound walkway to be fenced in later. Then the walls on the upper layer are extended using the same column method as before, in order to make an overhang, for shading and extending the size of the interiors.

AvalonApartments-WIP-05.jpg

Pic 6- Since this build is to have mostly furnishings and appointments from the "High End Loft Stuff" Pack, There will be a loft bedroom on an upper level towards the rear, also allowing for the front to have a spacious two-story area.
    Both apartments will be indentical when finished, but for the purposes of laying out the furnishings, only one side is made to begin with.
    The uneeded walls have been removed, and all of the columns have been deleted at this point.
    NOTE!- CAS coloring is not even considered during this phase, because structure, and navigation has to be determined first! Coloring during this phase can be wasted time / energy, and tends to drift the builder from focusing on laying the foundation.
    The bathroom fixtures, and bedroom furniture is placed first, then the stairs, walls, and doors are installed around them. One may also notice that the stairs have better placement once the whereabouts of the furniture is known, and that the loft floor is now shaved back for a cleaner look, and to provide a more open feeling for the living room below.

AvalonApartments-WIP-06.jpg

Pic 7- Skipper now tests everything for navigation by fulfilling her needs, and it all works just the way it should. She does not have an "Unfinished Room" moodlet, because there is no roof in place yet.

AvalonApartments-WIP-07.jpg

The next morning, Skipper moves back home. The shell left behind is valued at approx. $50,500 simoleans. Skipper is compensated with a payment of $80,000 simoleons from the GriffCorp. International vault.

The shell is now ready for the Avalon twins to earn their way into it...

• Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited March 2010

New WIP

I have started my Modern build for the April challenge. Since this is my first ever attempt at a modern build I figure it is going to take me a little longer then normal to build it so I better start now.

I have the foundation laid out. That's it.

modernbuildWIPfoundation.jpg
  • Options
    Evergreen226Evergreen226 Posts: 15,600 Member
    edited March 2010
    Hey everyone!

Yeah, the whole starter idea is already down the drain- $20,000+ already XD
    23uvol1.jpg
  • Options
    PINKLADY1PINKLADY1 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2010
    Cera: I'm going with Fairytale Couture

Lil: Nice Park.

xoxo1: I like the idea of you showing each step you took through you building process. It really helps out others such as myself.

Evergreen: Sorry to hear that you went over the starter limit. I think I heard somewhere that depreciation helps to lower the value of the home.

Catch Up time.

2mr9kd5.jpg

20r3ep3.jpg

10efq6w.jpg

b8l9jc.jpg
  • Options
    LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited March 2010

My Modern WIP

I have the first floor complete except that when I was taking pics I realised I forgot to put the stairs to the second floor in. I know where I am going to put them, but just wanted to let you know so I don't get a bunch of oh you forgot the stairs coments.

modwipfront.jpg

modwipdistance.jpg

modwipside.jpg

modwipsidedistance.jpg

modwipback.jpg

modwippool.jpg

modwipLRv1.jpg

modwipLRv2.jpg

modwipbath1v1.jpg

modwipbath1v2.jpg

modwipdinningroom.jpg

modwipkitchen.jpg

modwipnurseryv1.jpg

modwipnurseryv2.jpg
  • Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited March 2010
    Looks like we're back up and running here at TS3 eh? Cool. I know I've been absent lately, from everywhere, not just here, and I can't guarantee I'm back to stay, but I did miss everyone. I'm just having a hard time lately with some personal RL issues.

Anyway, I think I may do some building/decorating today. I haven't worked on my purple shell in a while and it would be nice to get it done. I'll come back and post some pics in a bit.
  • Options
    Cera13Cera13 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2010
    Pinklady-commented at TSS

Alpha-Sorry :( Try no foundation, 1 floor, 1 bedroom...everything on the cheap!

Lil-I like the blue exterior...that color is great! Inside, I would change the wallpaper and get rid of the curtains...think less is more for moderns!

Hey Nam!

I'm going with Fairytale Couture!
  • Options
    darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited March 2010
    alpha..i understand about the moderns and their slanted roof..most of us will probably stick with basic flat roofs for now..your current wip could easily be converted just by going with flatroof and updating exterior paint.but regardless,i still like what you have..now if this is supposed to be a starter with the under 20000 budget..you may consider using cheapest materials,such as stairs,windows and doors,this will allow for more decor..i have also learned that after you buy items,go into edit neighborhood and save and when you go back in the stuff you bought is supposed to depreciate in value..this is how some people are able to add so much stuff.also you can keep it down to a 1-2 bedroom,so knock out some walls and un-needed doors..use your cheapest wall coverings and floors and CAS them.the budget is why i dont do homes like that..i cant do a decent job with restrictions.

On the subject of Fidlers challenge..this thread was originally setup to be in conjunction with challenges,that way you would have a place to get help,as long as you didnt mind others seeing what you were doing...Fid himself cant comment,but the rest of us can..so feel free to get your ideas here.

Cera..for your pallettes.i have a prefernce for the fairytale coulture.the colors seem bolder to me.for the house itself..i like the design,and i already like the exterior coloring.you could have said the exterior was finished and i would have been happy.

Lil..good to see you here..just check in when you can,,i understand the forums are not perfect for everyone yet..now for your parks..i already rec'ed everything and downloaded and faved pleasantview park.

XO..i already commented on TSS..But thank you for posting here also..this is the Baby Steps thread after all,and your step-by step..definetly fits the criteria.

Pink..already commented at TSS..but i love how realistic this house looks..and you have wonderful roof lines..this one is fantastic.

Lil..i have to give the same comments here also..i love the exterior and design,but the yellow carpeting throws off your whole interior.that is the first thing i would change and then start figuring out if anything else needs work..i do have concerns about the curtains not being modern,but i wanted to wait and see how things look later.

Nam..you just take care of yourself..we will still be here and TSS when your ready to rejoin us..you are missed,but understand Real life needs help first.

• Options
    nam24601nam24601 Posts: 650
    edited March 2010
    Well, I said I'd post some pics so here they are. I haven't gotten much done, but I completed the basement and one of the upstairs bedrooms. The basement floor has been changed to the more grayish colour...the other one looked a little too blue.

Screenshot-12.jpgScreenshot-2-1.jpgScreenshot-3-1.jpgScreenshot-4-1.jpgScreenshot-6-2.jpgScreenshot-5-1.jpgScreenshot-8-3.jpgScreenshot-9-1.jpgScreenshot-7-1.jpg
    Screenshot-10-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks good Nam! I really love that purple in the bedroom!

When I think of fairies, I think of random, strange slightly evil, fun, tempting creatures. I imagine them living in homes with natural products, old second hand furnishing. Nothing quite too matching, nothing new because I don't think they care to keep up appearances with the neighbors. I hope I'm bringing that feeling to the interior.

Living room and kitchen. I'm going to add some WA lighting to the living room to brighten it up, and I'm looking for a good rust pattern for the appliances in the kitchen and a paint pattern that looks like the it's been painted several times.

Screenshot-82.jpg

Screenshot-84.jpg

Screenshot-83.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well a few changes have been made..ripped out some upper walls to give more of a loft look,overlooking living area.also been finishing living area,including Cas'ing,also been trying to get my dining area suitable.

sggvg9.jpg
    2ujtwle.jpg
    fvg3ls.jpg

3rd floor will be a penthouse style master suite
    iqh75x.jpg
    mw60zd.jpg

2nd floor
    de3diu.jpg
    aoqc8p.jpg

updated kitchen
    14blhc.jpg
    10gy3ib.jpg

5w9uys.jpg
    vfjyoz.jpg
    24fy32o.jpg

the beautiful view from front patio overlooking town and ocean
    11c5nxg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    nam..since your intentions for the basement are for storage and clutter..then it definetly there..lol.I like your purple bedroom..the bookcase looks like it could use a richer wood coloring to match the rest of the woodwork in the room.I know the purpose of hanging a tv on wall is to save space,but it looks so empty below yours,I'm not sure what to add,maybe a plant or 2,but it feels like it needs something.

cera..i do have a couple of good rusts,and not sure if i still have it,but i used to have the painted/repainted wood..i just never got it looking good.i like how your living room looks,but the counters in kitchen really need some work.i know thats prolly what you want the patterns for..lol
  • Options
    rossbobsrossbobs Posts: 265 New Member
    edited March 2010
    darkside, where did you get that flower pattern with the red background from? looks really nice
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    rossbobs...if your talking about the flower patterns in the living room by fireplace..those are actually wall stickers that i got from TSR...and the wall is just a smooth rock pattern tinted red.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well i know i wanted mine to be CC free.but i keep seeing some sneak in.
    here is the pool entertainment area.
    xkzytw.jpg

and as you can see the master suite penthouse is developing quite well.
    24uxgtw.jpg
    fdhp8p.jpg
    scz3gi.jpg
  • Options
    CkorkowsCkorkows Posts: 169 Member
    edited March 2010
    Cera13 wrote:
    Hi guys and gals! I'm happy the forums are back to working order (gotta change my siggie now-lol), and especially happy that Creative Designing is back in action!

Alpha-Your victorian looks really good! So does your new starter!!

Ckorkows-I don't have any idea on how your house "should look", but it looks great to me! Gave ya a rec. Your newest build is nice too, I like the kitchen so far!

I'm going to need a little assistance on my fairy build. Here's the exterior, no inside shots just yet. But help me choose a palette please!

this house
    Screenshot-79.jpg

for this sim and her uncreated roommates (all based on the 4 natural elements)

Screenshot-74.jpg

I've got it down to this

Fairytale Couture http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/246660/Fairytale_Couture
    and

Fairy Door http://www.colourlovers.com/palette/27950/fairy_door

Thanks for the rec. I'm just beginning to get into building.
    As to the fairy project, I like Fairy Couture, it seems earthier to me. Can't wait to see the interior!
    Ckorkows
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    but the counters in kitchen really need some work.i know thats prolly what you want the patterns for..lol

You got it! I like the colors, but it's too perky...needs to be a little dingier ;). Also, your modern is looking good...commented at TSS

I ended up getting my daughter a basketball hoop this morning, we spent the day playing horse...no more CASing done today, but I did find some patterns that I think will work really well...going to install them now!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I posted this at TSS too. I DL some great patterns and CAS'd the kitchen a bit more. I love the appliances...especially the stove.

The cabinets are another story...help!

this or is it to grungy?
    Screenshot-86.jpg

or that
    Screenshot-87.jpg
  • Options
    MolleyMolley Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2010
    So I worked on the bedroom and attached sitting room today. I put the stairs on the outside. I'm not sure where to put the inside stairs. Any ideas. Ignore the front lawn its just thougths I put down as I go. The kitchen /dinning room is just started - still thinking about it. I will put this in the EA forum as well.

1767ly.jpg

zxvaep.jpg

2epmqew.jpg

2ia4ydz.jpg

ogvpll.jpg

65mule.jpg

2b7gc6.jpg

29zvcc7.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Molley-

It's a nice sunny and fresh look you have going on so far!

As for the stairs, I would remove those 3 front windows, then place the stairs 1 square closer to the house, and make walls around the stairs to make them interior stairs, removing the walls that the windows were on. I would then reinstall the windows, using MOO if needed.

I would then match up the upper floor to accomodate the changes made to the first floor, using the temp column method I illustrated previously if needed. Also a good opportunity to do a Kandinsky-esque overhang with the second floor to accentuate the modern feel, and provide more interior space.

I think the build would look and play better if the stairs were interior.

(Edited: It is spelled "Kandinsky", not "Kandusky", my bad.)

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well i worked on the master suite more tonite..after an hour and a half of experimenting with furnishing and getting it CAS'ed..the dang game crashed..so thankfully the second time around i already knew what i wanted..so here is my update on the Penthouse master suite.i still have some minor details to work with in the bathroom though.
    I now have the toilet area with toilet and bidet,tub,shower room,bedroom,walkthru closet,sitting area,dressing area,and gym with stereo and tv for work outs.trying to get enough pics so you get an idea of everything.
    if you see something that needs work,please say so.I'm not sure if every pattern goes well together.

akkb9l.jpg
    2ufwr2h.jpg
    2ahgql5.jpg
    11smkn7.jpg
    9pz344.jpg
    2nlg3s9.jpg
    112e7oh.jpg
    o9k21x.jpg
    mb30pt.jpg
    2111eds.jpg
    141pjxj.jpg
    30hq77l.jpg
    fdr2xl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well i got tired of working the interior,so i worked on the patio and grilling area..its still gonne get some more details,but here is the first draft.

xoiidw.jpg
    15qdhuf.jpg
    23w0gmc.jpg
    11tak9c.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

"Avalon Apartments"- by XOX1- Part 2- (A Run For Your Money)-

The newest arrivals to Sunset Valley are the Avalon Twins, Veronica and Vivian.

Vivian Avalon, (XOX1- Character- 016)
    Traits= Green Thumb, Natural Cook, Friendly, Excitable, and Computer Whiz.
    Favorites= Autumn Salad, Classical Music, and the color Red. (Voice= #1- 50%).
    Red Haired & Green Eyed.

Veronica Avalon, (XOX1- Character- 017)
    Traits= Green Thumb, Natural Cook, Friendly, Excitable, and Athletic.
    Favorites= Autumn Salad, Classical Music, and the color Black. (Voice= #1- 50%).
    Raven Haired & Violet Eyed.

AvalonApartments-WIP-08.jpg

Starting off with a combined budget of only $18,000 simoleons, they move in to a GriffCorp. International Starter Home, "Minima Maxima", with only $2,143 simoleons left. Since it was intended for single occupancy, most of the remaining funds have to be spent on things like an extra bed, etc.

AvalonApartments-WIP-09.jpg

Since the shell of "Avalon Apartments" is valued at $55,455 simoleons, and there are no "Motherlode" or "Kaching" cheats allowed in gameplay, they have to earn the amount needed to purchase the property by working at GriffCorp. Community Lots, like "The GriffCorp. Money Tree Gardens" and "GriffCorp. Gardens". They also engage in an earnest pursuit of Gem, Metal, and Insect gathering to earn extra funds, and work towards completing their Collections.

Aside from earning the needed funds, they also gain valuable skills in the process.

AvalonApartments-WIP-10.jpg

After approx. one simweek of very hard labor, they have raised $183,497 simoleons, can well afford to purchase the property, and have a building budget of $129,222 simoleons left over.

They also are both now Level 10 Master Gardeners, with Level 3 Cooking, and Fishing Skills.

AvalonApartments-WIP-11.jpg

Now they are well qualified, and ready to finish and furnish their new home, and enjoy a SIMply Wonderful Life!

AvalonApartments-WIP-12.jpg

• Options
    CkorkowsCkorkows Posts: 169 Member
    edited March 2010
    A quick update on the Pinball House: The master suite is now complete, including a walk-out patio of miniature proportions leading to the pool(now extended a tiny bit). My color scheme was blues and browns/pinks with a splash of tan and I favored paisley patterns and different textures. If you have any suggestions on the spaces, please let me know, I'm striving for near-perfection on this one and could use a lot of help (still have a lot to do...) The link to the slideshow is below.

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=185244

screenshot_original.jpg"height=450""width=600"

Thanks again for all the help on this project!
    Ckorkows
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DS-commented at TSS

ckorkows-Looks good so far. I really like the blue/brown combo you're using, it's very pretty. I'd like to see more pictures of you patio!

Kitchen update

The peeling paint was feeling a bit to grungy for me, I wanted it cleaner but aged, so craked paint it is! I played with the counter tops for quite a while with stone and masonry. None of those looked right with the counters so I went with the mosaic tile. CASed the appliances a little more, toned down the rust.

Screenshot-93.jpg

Screenshot-92.jpg